✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Camapign to get Christmas lights to number 1 / Chart updates

Long Live Life

As someone who lives in the UK, I disagree with this. Out of all my friends (away from friends I have met through here), only one pays for music downloads, the rest of them see them as worthless and download whatever they like for free.

I think the younger you are the more likely you are to buy digitally. All my friends are in their 30s. Coldplay have a huge casual fanbase in the 30+ age bracket who will buy when they know something's been released. When VLV came out just about everyone in my local supermarket was buying it as they passed it in the shop, whatever their age. These people probably make the difference in getting Coldplay albums and singles to number 1.

There would be a huge number of people just seeing a CD in the supermarket and buying it as a stocking-filler or on the spur of the moment who would NOT buy a digital download. Plus as I mentioned the crucial large amount of advertising and awareness having it in stores at the busiest time of year brings. That's why the Christmas number 1, whatever it is, will have a physical release, even if most sales are digital, and unfortunately that means it will not be Christmas Lights :(

Completely agree - I think the core of Coldplay's casual base is 30 something who are less likely to download.

Plus they have missed out on Christmas gifts by older relatives looking for something for their son, niece, granddaughter , whatever, who would happen to see a Coldplay Christmas song and buy it, but are highly unlikely to know what iTunes even is.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone notice how Christmas lights just lifted lines from other songs. ("Poison in my blood" and "always loved you and always will")

It's like a mash up of wedding bells and christmas lights.

Not saying the new track is bad, just an observation

BTw this is charting in almost every other countrys itunes top 10 except FOr AUSSIE yet..so hopefully it will there

US #4

UK #2

France #4

Germany #8

Austria #7

Belgium #2

Canada #4

Denmark #5

Finland #1

Greece #1

Ireland #4

Italy #2

Japan #6

Luxembourg #5

Netherlands #2

NZ #10

Norway #2

Portugal #1

Spain #1

Sweden #2

Switzerland #5

COMEON Xmas Spirit!

GUYS KEEP ON BUYING ESP AUSSIES! CL is not IN YOUR TOP 10 !:cool:

Spain 1!

is the background music of Spanish Television (TVE1) all welcome news related to Christmas;)

http://www.rtve.es/noticias/20101202/christmas-lights-villancico-coldplay/378938.shtml

UK CHARTS

There’s good news for British alternative rock band Coldplay, they’ve scored this weeks third-highest new entry; ‘Christmas lights’ is debuting at number 18. Although they have made many higher chart debuts in the past, it should be taken into account that the song didn’t go on sale until Wednesday evening, meaning that it’s cracked the top 20 from just 3 full sales days. It’s their 13th UK Top 40 hit, the first since ‘Life in technicolor’ reached number 28 in February of last year, their biggest hit to date is of course ‘Viva la vida’, their first and only UK chart topper to date which hit number 1 in the summer of 2008 and spent 21 weeks inside the top 40, re-entering twice after its original chart run. Can ‘Christmas lights’ climb the chart next week and become their 11th Top 10 hit?

They are 18 on the Official Chart

UK AIRPLAY CHART

TW LW Wks Sales Artist/Title Total Plays Plays % + or - Total Aud. (m) Aud. % + or –

44 0 01 18 Coldplay Christmas Lights 140 0 17.58 0

( HIGHEST NEW ENTRY ON AIRPLAY UK CHARTS :rolleyes: )

AUSTRALIAN CHARTS

86 Coldplay, Christmas Lights (1,369)

95 Coldplay, Fix You (1,104)

i think that fix you was a re entry :) . So they sold kind of 2400 singles this week :)

USA

BILLBOARD HOT 100

NEW 25 - Coldplay Christmas Lights ( This marks Coldplay's 2 highest entry ever on the hot 100 , after Speed of sound debuted at number 8 in 05)

BILLBOARD DIGITAL CHART

NEW 12- Coldplay Christmas Lights (90000 copies sold)

BILLBOARD Holiday Digital Songs

NEW 1 Coldplay Christmas Lights

The complete chart postions go out tomorrow. We will se if Christmas Lights is able to top Holiday charts ( which are this time of the year are quite important and quite hard to top )

BTW , Christmas lights is starting to sound at alternative and AC radios . It gots its first impressions

COLDPLAY - Christmas Lights: 2.060

Quite good , let's see how this evolves :D

CANADA

Canada hot 100

20 NEW Coldplay Christmas Lights

Dutch

Top 100 singles

15 NW 1 Coldplay | Christmas Lights

Download Top 50

13 NW 1 Coldplay | Christmas Lights

ITALY

Digital chart

5 New Coldplay

Christmas Lights 3 465

FRANCE

TOP 200.

101 New

Coldplay

Christmas Lights

Actually not quite sure about the last 2 charts ( italy and france ) ill check them leater again.

I think that Christmas Lights is going to peak too early in the UK to contend for Christmas #1 unless it really breaks through to a mainstream audience.

I'm in the US, so powerless to do anything about it. I WOULD order a CD single if one were available. :uneasy:

Christmas lights seem to be climbing on the UK .

in the UK midweek

UK Midweeks (7/12/10)

Singles

1 Willow Smith Feat. Nicki Minaj (2k ahead)

2 Black Eyed Peas

3 Ellie Goulding

4 Rihanna [OG]

5 X Factor Finalists

Top 10

8 David Guetta/Rihanna

10 Rihanna/Drake

Top 15

Coldplay

14 Michael Jackson & Akon

Top 20

Alexa Goddard

17 Kylie Minogue

Top 30

22 Alexandra Burke

Eminem & Rihanna

Manic Street Preachers

:smug:

The holiday season is in full swing, as the chart hosts its first two seasonal entries, both by top-selling alternative bands. Coldplay opens at No. 25 on the Hot 100 and No. 12 on Digital Songs (90,000) with "Christmas Lights," while topping the Holiday Digital Songs chart with the track.

US Billboard Hot 100:

25 Christmas Lights

US Digital Songs:

12 Christmas Lights 90,000

They are 18 on the Official Chart

UK AIRPLAY CHART

TW LW Wks Sales Artist/Title Total Plays Plays % + or - Total Aud. (m) Aud. % + or –

44 0 01 18 Coldplay Christmas Lights 140 0 17.58 0

( HIGHEST NEW ENTRY ON AIRPLAY UK CHARTS )

AUSTRALIAN CHARTS

86 Coldplay, Christmas Lights (1,369)

95 Coldplay, Fix You (1,104)

i think that fix you was a re entry . So they sold kind of 2400 singles this week

USA

BILLBOARD HOT 100

NEW 25 - Coldplay Christmas Lights ( This marks Coldplay's 2 highest entry ever on the hot 100 , after Speed of sound debuted at number 8 in 05)

BILLBOARD DIGITAL CHART

NEW 12- Coldplay Christmas Lights (90000 copies sold)

BILLBOARD Holiday Digital Songs

NEW 1 Coldplay Christmas Lights

The complete chart postions go out tomorrow. We will se if Christmas Lights is able to top Holiday charts ( which are this time of the year are quite important and quite hard to top )

BTW , Christmas lights is starting to sound at alternative and AC radios . It gots its first impressions

COLDPLAY - Christmas Lights: 2.060

Quite good , let's see how this evolves

CANADA

Canada hot 100

20 NEW Coldplay Christmas Lights

Dutch

Top 100 singles

15 NW 1 Coldplay | Christmas Lights

Download Top 50

13 NW 1 Coldplay | Christmas Lights

ITALY

Digital chart

5 New Coldplay

Christmas Lights 3 465

FRANCE

TOP 200.

101 New

Coldplay

Christmas Lights

Some new updates.

ARIA CHARTS ( Australian charts )

32 (New) Christmas Lights - Coldplay

but the biggest Top 100 leap of the week is Coldplay’s one-off Christmas single “Christmas Lights”, which is up fifty-four places to No.32.

I will be posting UK charts in a few hours :)