✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Camapign to get Christmas lights to number 1 / Chart updates

Long Live Life

Hmm not sure I understand why it's important to get them to #1. I love Coldplay, I own every piece of music (in probably more than one version) they have done. But I don't see the point here. The charts aren't quality based, they are just dull popularity contests.. I could be wrong, it's just what I think.

You're not wrong. The singles chart has been a total joke for years now.:dozey:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm not sure I understand why it's important to get them to #1. I love Coldplay, I own every piece of music (in probably more than one version) they have done. But I don't see the point here. The charts aren't quality based, they are just dull popularity contests.. I could be wrong, it's just what I think.

Well , of course . I mean , sales =/= talent or quality in fact .

Charts today , are ruled by artist which its quality its completely awful (although they do some catchy songs :P ) such as rihanna's songs , katy perry's , justin bieber , britney etc.

In my opinion , charts back in the 90's used to be better , usually 80 % that was attop of the charts used to have a little bit of quality or actually used to be good. Music before used to be better , Charts were topped by Greenday , U2 ( at their peak) , Radiohead , Oasis , Aerosmith , Nirvana etc . At the pop/R&B charts by Michael Jackson , Madonna ( at her peak and where she made all of her "classics") , Janet jakson. And even Adult contemporary artists such as Whitney Houston , Celine or Mariah.

Now music is crap , but its nice to see that people care about good quality , and to see "quality" music at the top of the charts and ruling the world its pretty cool, and makes me feel proud :cool:

BTw this is charting in almost every other countrys itunes top 10 except FOr AUSSIE yet..so hopefully it will there

US #4

UK #2

France #4

Germany #8

Austria #7

Belgium #2

Canada #4

Denmark #5

Finland #1

Greece #1

Ireland #4

Italy #2

Japan #6

Luxembourg #5

Netherlands #2

NZ #10

Norway #2

Portugal #1

Spain #1

Sweden #2

Switzerland #5

COMEON Xmas Spirit!

GUYS KEEP ON BUYING ESP AUSSIES! CL is not IN YOUR TOP 10 !:cool:

I'm pretty sure that album sales and sell-out tours mean far more to them.;)

Well , of course , for any artists album sales or sell out tours would mean more. Considering that coldplay has no album out or tour , i think that this will make them pretty happy :D . It makes them feel that their music is appriciated :)

BTw this is charting in almost every other countrys itunes top 10 except FOr AUSSIE yet..so hopefully it will there

US #4

UK #2

France #4

Germany #8

Austria #7

Belgium #2

Canada #4

Denmark #5

Finland #1

Greece #1

Ireland #4

Italy #2

Japan #6

Luxembourg #5

Netherlands #2

NZ #10

Norway #2

Portugal #1

Spain #1

Sweden #2

Switzerland #5

COMEON Xmas Spirit!

GUYS KEEP ON BUYING ESP AUSSIES! CL is not IN YOUR TOP 10 !:cool:

These are the iTunes stats, not the charts. The UK singles charts was announced this evening, Christmas lights has entered at no 18.

That is both a good and bad thing. I expected it to be higher, but it means it has time to grow and climb and not peak too early.

Well , of course . I mean , sales =/= talent or quality in fact .

Charts today , are ruled by artist which its quality its completely awful (although they do some catchy songs :P ) such as rihanna's songs , katy perry's , justin bieber , britney etc.

In my opinion , charts back in the 90's used to be better , usually 80 % that was attop of the charts used to have a little bit of quality or actually used to be good. Music before used to be better , Charts were topped by Greenday , U2 ( at their peak) , Radiohead , Oasis , Aerosmith , Nirvana etc . At the pop/R&B charts by Michael Jackson , Madonna ( at her peak and where she made all of her "classics") , Janet jakson. And even Adult contemporary artists such as Whitney Houston , Celine or Mariah.

Now music is crap , but its nice to see that people care about good quality , and to see "quality" music at the top of the charts and ruling the world its pretty cool, and makes me feel proud :cool:

How old are you out of interst? I had a similar discussion this evening, along the lines of "the charts were so much better in the 1980's". For me, it was around 1989 with the "manufactured" pop bands of Stock, Aitken & Waterman that started to ruin things...

Well , of course , for any artists album sales or sell out tours would mean more. Considering that coldplay has no album out or tour , i think that this will make them pretty happy :D . It makes them feel that their music is appriciated :)

I think they know that anyway, especially when they have fans willing to fly half way round the world for a boat trip on the Thames in the middle of winter!:D

How old are you out of interst? I had a similar discussion this evening, along the lines of "the charts were so much better in the 1980's". For me, it was around 1989 with the "manufactured" pop bands of Stock, Aitken & Waterman that started to ruin things...

True. Things went downhill from that point onwards.:(

These are the iTunes stats, not the charts. The UK singles charts was announced this evening, Christmas lights has entered at no 18.

That is both a good and bad thing. I expected it to be higher, but it means it has time to grow and climb and not peak too early.

Actually i think its quite good. Considering that all the songs on that chart had 7 or 6 days to be at the position and to sell what they did , i think that its actually quite amazing that Coldplay managed to get a top 20 christmas song in only 3 days. ( it was aveliable dicember 1 at 8 pm ) so it had 2 or 3 days to achive that. And considering that it took coldplay arround 12 or 1 day to get to it's itunes peak , 18 its a good result . its the number 1 holiday song in the UK right now , and only with 3 days :cool: :cool: . Although i think the label should have made it aveliable to download from sunday or monday , to peak higher , but anyways.

Umm , im actually quite young . I have 19 years old ( was born in 1991). For me the late 80's and90's were the best years , and really were aswome . And for me things REALLY started to decline after 1997/1998 with the release of this Pop teen stars ( britney , christina , jessica simpson etc.) and these teen bands ( Nysnc , backstreet boys ) and things really went down .

For me late 80's and 90's every artist that i love , were on their peak createvely , artistically etc.

From michael jackson ( thriller , bad , dangerous , history ) , U2 were on their peak ( JT and AB ) arround those dates . Oasis were also ontheir best point ( morning glory and countless other albums :) ) , radiohead were . Aerosmith , Gun's and roses were arround this time too , and their had their best work done here .

Then solists , from i dont know , michael bolton to Mariah Carey , to Celine Dion , to Janet Jackson , Madonna , Alanis Morrisette.

Metalica also released over the 90's amazing music. Nirvana was here too.

I mean i can not stop thinking of artists and their quality of their music was amazing , and completely not comparable to music released today. I mean for me everyone was at their peak :D

I don't know i really think it was such a great decade , 1995/96 were such epic years in music . Maybe im wrong or what , but i can agree that after 98 all started going downhill after

I know that since almost every charts are based on Itunes this song has to be good at Itunes also

I know that since almost every charts are based on Itunes this song has to be good at Itunes also

The official UK singles charts includes all downloads - e.g. Amazon and other sites, not just iTunes. It also includes hard copies as well.

This disparity suggests it's doing well on UK iTunes but equally other songs are doing well elsewhere - hence the 18 position in the chart.

This disparity suggests it's doing well on UK iTunes but equally other songs are doing well elsewhere - hence the 18 position in the chart.

Perhaps therein lies the problem? I think a physical release would have made it a much bigger 'event' and very importantly attracted the eye while out shopping of the huge number of casual fans that Coldplay have.

For example I have a friend who loves the band, has all the B-sides, but he didn't even know they had a song out till I told him, and he adores it. There's the hope for a Twitter or Facebook campaign, how's it all going, what's the reaction like?

The lack of a physical release also makes me wonder how serious the band are about making this a huge hit. I've a feeling they want to avoid 'Crazy Froggate mk II' and are quite happy to release this to the ether, and not worry (too much) about where it ends up...

Perhaps therein lies the problem? I think a physical release would have made it a much bigger 'event' and very importantly attracted the eye while out shopping of the huge number of casual fans that Coldplay have.

For example I have a friend who loves the band, has all the B-sides, but he didn't even know they had a song out till I told him, and he adores it. There's the hope for a Twitter or Facebook campaign, how's it all going, what's the reaction like?

The lack of a physical release also makes me wonder how serious the band are about making this a huge hit. I've a feeling they want to avoid 'Crazy Froggate mk II' and are quite happy to release this to the ether, and not worry (too much) about where it ends up...

I don't know. Chris admitted in his radio 1 interview that it wasn't probably such a good idea to have only 100 physical releases?

The release seems odd - maybe no 1 isn't their intention - no physical copies, and very little UK airplay so far...

yep. physical releases are great. i love to have a touchable version of all the songs i like

UK charts are only based on Download and physical releases ( which do not help that much now a days , almost nothing. They are usually bought by fans :) )

USA are based on airplay + downloads . And its pretty equal the way they do it .

People need to stop compaining about debuting at number 18. It was pretty amazing.

Here is the press release

There’s good news for British alternative rock band Coldplay, they’ve scored this weeks third-highest new entry; ‘Christmas lights’ is debuting at number 18. Although they have made many higher chart debuts in the past, it should be taken into account that the song didn’t go on sale until Wednesday evening, meaning that it’s cracked the top 20 from just 3 full sales days. It’s their 13th UK Top 40 hit, the first since ‘Life in technicolor’ reached number 28 in February of last year, their biggest hit to date is of course ‘Viva la vida’, their first and only UK chart topper to date which hit number 1 in the summer of 2008 and spent 21 weeks inside the top 40, re-entering twice after its original chart run. Can ‘Christmas lights’ climb the chart next week and become their 11th Top 10 hit?

UK charts are only based on Download and physical releases ( which do not help that much now a days , almost nothing. They are usually bought by fans :) )

As someone who lives in the UK, I disagree with this. Out of all my friends (away from friends I have met through here), only one pays for music downloads, the rest of them see them as worthless and download whatever they like for free.

I think the younger you are the more likely you are to buy digitally. All my friends are in their 30s. Coldplay have a huge casual fanbase in the 30+ age bracket who will buy when they know something's been released. When VLV came out just about everyone in my local supermarket was buying it as they passed it in the shop, whatever their age. These people probably make the difference in getting Coldplay albums and singles to number 1.

There would be a huge number of people just seeing a CD in the supermarket and buying it as a stocking-filler or on the spur of the moment who would NOT buy a digital download. Plus as I mentioned the crucial large amount of advertising and awareness having it in stores at the busiest time of year brings. That's why the Christmas number 1, whatever it is, will have a physical release, even if most sales are digital, and unfortunately that means it will not be Christmas Lights :(