✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Camapign to get Christmas lights to number 1 / Chart updates

Long Live Life

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've already downloaded my copy and the video, but I'm not opposed to tweeting/facebooking about it..

Actually on facebook there is already a group: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Coldplay-Christmas-Lights-for-Christmas-No1-2010/126009630791662

Unless there are special arrangements this year with Christmas falling on a saturday (AFAIK not) then the info up there is incorrect - you need to buy it from 12th to 18th December - not the week running up to Christmas Day itself. The UK Christmas number 1 will be announced on Sunday 19th - so buying it in the days running up to CHristmas won't help at all.

I'm not on Facebook so you might want to tell him! :)

It's actually dropped down 2 to #18 now. :\

That's okay, this country has always had a shocking (and American-dominated) taste in music.

:laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

Sadly, this is true.

But yeah, I bought it when it came out, and I don't really have the money to buy it again, especially when songs are so expensive on iTunes. Sorry, guys. :(

Unless there are special arrangements this year with Christmas falling on a saturday (AFAIK not) then the info up there is incorrect - you need to buy it from 12th to 18th December - not the week running up to Christmas Day itself. The UK Christmas number 1 will be announced on Sunday 19th - so buying it in the days running up to CHristmas won't help at all.

I'm not on Facebook so you might want to tell him! :)

Hm, yeah, I hadn't thought about it... The Christmas number one is normally the one that's done over Christmas... The week after would make it, not Christmas. I hadn't even thought about that. I will let the guy know :stunned:

Dunno how it works in Uruguay but in the Uk we want it no 1 for Christmas itself!

I bought the video but am waiting for the single purchase. There is a danger Coldplay will peak too early and be pipped at the last minute ...

Sorry to say , but the single is already charting incredibly high .

First of all , christmas week is an specially hard week for coldplay's single to become number one . Xfactor winner always gets that number one , and its nor really specially , i mean if you get number one before its okey :)

2006 Leona Lewis "A Moment Like This" 4

2007 Leon Jackson "When You Believe" 3

2008 Alexandra Burke "Hallelujah"

and actually in 2009 , Rage Against the Machine got the christmass number 1. WHY ? the song was part of a successful Facebook campaign to prevent The X Factor winner's song from gaining the Christmas number one in the United Kingdom. The campaign provoked commentary from both groups and other musicians, as well as gaining coverage in national and international press .

Thing that i dont really belive that if we create a facebook group , Coldplay will promote it , or gain international press.

And for the worring of charting to high at first week and then dropping , usually singles , specially in the UK because they are based on downloads alone , tend to drop after the first week or 2 . But given the thing that its a christmas single , and with the airplay gaining ( that although it dosnt count towards the chart , it will get the song to more people , and therefore more people buying the song ) it might even rise toward Christmas.

I think that what might hurt the single sales a little bit is that on itunes its not selected as a Holiday song , its as an alternative. Lots of people while reaching to christmas , usually go to Itunes holyday site and download songs , but they wont see Christmas lights .

But then , they have a massive campain on Itunes main page on every store in the world :lol:

Sorry to say , but the single is already charting incredibly high .

First of all , christmas week is an specially hard week for coldplay's single to become number one . Xfactor winner always gets that number one , and its nor really specially , i mean if you get number one before its okey :)

2006 Leona Lewis "A Moment Like This" 4

2007 Leon Jackson "When You Believe" 3

2008 Alexandra Burke "Hallelujah"

and actually in 2009 , Rage Against the Machine got the christmass number 1. WHY ? the song was part of a successful Facebook campaign to prevent The X Factor winner's song from gaining the Christmas number one in the United Kingdom. The campaign provoked commentary from both groups and other musicians, as well as gaining coverage in national and international press .

Thing that i dont really belive that if we create a facebook group , Coldplay will promote it , or gain international press.

And for the worring of charting to high at first week and then dropping , usually singles , specially in the UK because they are based on downloads alone , tend to drop after the first week or 2 . But given the thing that its a christmas single , and with the airplay gaining ( that although it dosnt count towards the chart , it will get the song to more people , and therefore more people buying the song ) it might even rise toward Christmas.

I think that what might hurt the single sales a little bit is that on itunes its not selected as a Holiday song , its as an alternative. Lots of people while reaching to christmas , usually go to Itunes holyday site and download songs , but they wont see Christmas lights .

But then , they have a massive campain on Itunes main page on every store in the world :lol:

True. The only thing in their favour is that I haven't heard the song once yet on any radio stations bar their interview sessions on 1st Dec,

If stations hold back from playing it this early it may help them later in December.... then again if none play it at all very much it is not going anywhere.

True. The only thing in their favour is that I haven't heard the song once yet on any radio stations bar their interview sessions on 1st Dec,

If stations hold back from playing it this early it may help them later in December.... then again if none play it at all very much it is not going anywhere.

Well , Radio stations over the UK and USA are already playing christmas songs , airplay starts rising , specially after thanksgiving in USA and 1st dicember or late november un UK . Chrsitmas classic if you look at the UK chart are already starting to rise .

Although they havent done much promotion , they have TOTP which is massive + Itunes banners , they have a big one , and 2 small ones , and that is the best promotion you can get ( probably one of the reasons why CL is top 5 in every country in the world) if not , the song would only be known by the fans , cause there was no hype arround the song , we actually fans , got to know that CL was released a week earlier . For example if it was Coldplay's first single of LP5 , the following up to VLV , the hype would be amazing , and i wouldnt give that much credit to itunes banner , but in this case it is . They have the best promotion you can buy , bascially every buyer that goes into Itunes will see Christmas lights .

Other thing , maybe you should buy the song know , and start a campain to request Christmas Lights at radio in both US and UK. And requesting it on music channels. so that people will listen to them on the radio , and go straight to download it :D

Guest howyousawtheworld

All it matters is it gets a really high chart position. Doesn't have to be for Christmas number 1.

Hmm not sure I understand why it's important to get them to #1. I love Coldplay, I own every piece of music (in probably more than one version) they have done. But I don't see the point here. The charts aren't quality based, they are just dull popularity contests.. I could be wrong, it's just what I think.