✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Biffy Clyro

Kettercat

Listening to them speaking about their 'recent' success among a more massiv audience, they really remind me of Snow Patrol. I know the connection may seem weird since they make so different music but the way they strive about 10 years to make it by touring constantly, how that's just with their two recent albums that they're really getting known worldwide, their views about their music, success, fans not to forget their overall kindness...they're really alike in that perspective.

actually, there's a few links between Snow Patrol and Biffy Clyro musically:

1) Snow Patrol (aka Polar Bear) & Biffy Clyro both started out on the same student-run Glasgow record label (Electric Honey), but at different times.

2) Snow Patrol supported Biffy Clyro on tour before a long time ago. i think it was before the Final Straw era as i think SP's early stuff are closer to Biffy's post Puzzles stuff (probably due to the Nirvana influence).

3) Gary's a big fan of Biffy Clyro. & he knows the "Mon the Biffy!" cheer. but tbh, no surprise there since he always roots for the underdog bands that had to struggle like they did. but i'm sure you already knew all that about Gary. ;)

I can only erase those traumatising images by posting this...

biffy-clyros-simon-neil-performs-landmark-gig-at-the-house-of-commons-for-absolute-radio-2.jpg

that photo/pose somehow seems so very Kurt Cobain-ish to me. :\

kurt_cobain.jpg

dp

Something old I rediscovered.... I know the following vid for a long time since it's SP related BUT look who's here from 54sec->1min07 !!! *w* I had a OMG moment rewatching this....XD But I still have a hard time with Jesus Simon...lol Judging by Gary's beard, the vid must be from 2007.

*lol* you can tell the year based on Gary's beard! awesome! :cool:

& i predict that soon you will be able to tell the year based on Simon's! :D

/BUMP!

10.jpg

But something intrigues me about that t-shirt:

:inquisitive: I thought 'Biffy Clyro' was the name of a 17th century footballer??...so that's not the real story behind their name?? If some kind soul could enlighten me....

the 17th century footballer name is 1 story about the band's name.

the other is that one of the band members supposedly had a pen (a biro) that belonged to Cliff Richard that they referred to as "Cliffy Biro"...i leave it to you to figure out where that's leading to & also the link with that t-shirt design. :)

EDIT: oops! i just noticed that Anna also posted about the pen story! haha

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, they have told maaaaaaaany stories about their name and every time it's a different one.

The one that inspired the shirt is this:

They had a "Cliff Richard" pen (=biro) and they called it "Cliffy Biro", then changed it to "Biffy Clyro". :lol:

That is the short version that I remember, there is a full story on the forum or on wikipedia... :thinking:

Ah ok! Thx sweetie!! :kiss: I hadn't seen it was a pen they were holding... :laugh3: (btw, love your new sig with the Biffy part <3)

3) Gary's a big fan of Biffy Clyro. & he knows the "Mon the Biffy!" cheer. but tbh, no surprise there since he always roots for the underdog bands that had to struggle like they did. but i'm sure you already knew all that about Gary. ;)

I actually discovered Biffy thx to Gary's band of the week on Q website, he did a piece about 'Many of horror'. You can read him raving about Biffy here...so sweet <3:

http://news.qthemusic.com/2009/11/gary_lightbodys_band_of_the_we_17.html

As much as I adore the song, I confess I hadn't dug further....but Paula's Biffy track on the recent Apparatchick mixtape exchange and her convincing piece about them set the 'discover mode' in motion.... :D

*lol* you can tell the year based on Gary's beard! awesome! :cool:

Some people can predict futur in tea leave, I can guess years by gL's beard....Not a usefull talent I recogn :lol:

That is such a cool "fan text" he's written! :cheesy:

Thanks for sharing the link!!

No problem :) I love his Q's reviews or SP.com blogs suggestions, he's always so enthousiastic, it really makes you want to listen to the tracks (or see the movies/read books).

And yes, I just had to include Biffy somewhere in my sig, I'd have bursted otherwise. :laugh4:

:lol: mine is already at full length, so no space for Biffy :/

Hope you're fine! :hug:

Yeah I am thx ^^ even if I wish I could go to the boat trip but there is no way my boss would have let me take me 2 days off so suddenly and when we're so busy....:/ So please enjoy all this for me would you?!! :cool:

I actually discovered Biffy thx to Gary's band of the week on Q website, he did a piece about 'Many of horror'. You can read him raving about Biffy here...so sweet <3:

http://news.qthemusic.com/2009/11/gary_lightbodys_band_of_the_we_17.html

As much as I adore the song, I confess I hadn't dug further....but Paula's Biffy track on the recent Apparatchick mixtape exchange and her convincing piece about them set the 'discover mode' in motion.... :D

Some people can predict futur in tea leave, I can guess years by gL's beard....Not a usefull talent I recogn :lol:

yes, me too! i confess that i learnt the cheer from him...cos he keeps saying it every time he's talking/writing about Biffy Clyro. :lol:

& Many of Horror was listed as the most played track on his iPod on one of his other Q Mag mini-articles. don't blame him...at 1 point, it was the same with me! it's such a beautiful song...even if the lyrics are kinda violent.

but i didn't really start from Only Revolutions. i actually started from Puzzle cos i was browsing in a record shop (as i am prone to doing) & saw that album on sale. + i remembered the band name being mentioned somewhere before (which'd be that Q mag article you posted, but at the time, as usual, it'd slipped my mind). Puzzle was cheaper than Only Revolutions & i really liked Machines...

& there's the embarrassing matter of me thinking for a VERY long time that Mountains was a Foo Fighters song...i still think the album recording does. but live, it didn't sound like a Foo Fighters song at all! thankfully!

tho that's now kinda ironic also knowing that Biffy are going to be supporting the Foos on tour! :D

oh & Anna, FYI, that's your answer to the mystery of how is it i know about amazing bands like Biffy...it's mostly from Gary's blogs or Q magazine articles' recommendations (or should i say, "enthusiastic gushings"). ;)

What Biffy have you heard before now? ^

If it's only Puzzle and Only Revolutions, you're in for a shock.

Yep, only Puzzle/Only Revs. I've heard about half of Infinity Land so far, and I like about half of what I've heard :lol: It's a bit too shoutey :\

Cool Paula!

Dunno if you've seen this but Biffy tweeted yesterday asking fans in London to give their name/adress for a special surprise on wednesday....Wonder what it will be?!!

Yeah saw that on facebook. Why is everything always in London. It stinks that :bigcry:

Yeah saw that on facebook. Why is everything always in London. It stinks that :bigcry:

+10000

But they tweet earlier they were leaving london for Aberdeen... :thinking:

Bye bye London... Thanks for letting us have our rehearsals in your city... see you in a week or so... Next stop Aberdeen... x

So what's the surprise in london tomorrow???

oh, no! that's sucks, iPsy! :( :hug:

was it a Standing/GA ticket you had?

btw, if the guys are already headed back to Aberdeen now, then i'm going to guess that it might be some kinda goodie/merch they are giving away based on postcodes?

i was too late to sign up for it (busy with work), but i remember reading that they were specifically looking for ppl in London + they wanted to know your postcode... :thinking:

btw, if the guys are already headed back to Aberdeen now, then i'm going to guess that it might be some kinda goodie/merch they are giving away based on postcodes?

i was too late to sign up for it (busy with work), but i remember reading that they were specifically looking for ppl in London + they wanted to know your postcode... :thinking:

Yeah, when I read that, I was kinda bumped :dozey:

Found sthg super cute!!! Look at their younger fan... :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmQ2bwusd6M]YouTube - Isla singing and dancing to Biffy Clyro![/ame]

Good tastes baby girl!!

OH NOES Simon, that sucks :bigcry: Moral of the Story kids, always put gig tickets in a safe place so you can find 'em again :dozey:

+1! I always put my tix in the same place :) With my goldfish memory, it's better that way!

Speaking of tickets, as usual Biffy have hidden tickets on the city they're playing tonight....I admire the people who will look for them! If the weather is like it is here, it's sooo cold!! Poor winners will arrive frozen at the gig :lol:

^Oooo might look out for Q in town tonight. I really ought to subscribe, it'd be far easier :lol:

btw, speaking of Biffy loving kids, my 12yo offspring has decided she's a fan of Only Revolutions. I told her she can listen to it only if she skips Shock, Shock. She said, I've heard language like that before you know, Mother then rolls her eyes at me :rolleyes:

btw, speaking of Biffy loving kids, my 12yo offspring has decided she's a fan of Only Revolutions. I told her she can listen to it only if she skips Shock, Shock. She said, I've heard language like that before you know, Mother then rolls her eyes at me :rolleyes:

:laugh3: your daughter seems ace :D I like her!

And yeah, you should suscribe!

THANK YOU :kiss:

The hair comment is priceless but I +10000000000 it!!! And Simon's beard on the 2 page... *shock*shock*....If I was his wife, I think I would have shave it in his sleep... :laugh3:

The gig sound awesome..WHY was the paris gig on a fuckin middle of the week :bomb: :bigcry:

-edit------------

Some amazing pics from the Aberdeen gig: http://www.biffyclyro.com/gallery,aberdeen-251110_18.htm

298.jpg

:awesome:

Can you see that God & Satan video with the concert footage on their website without being logged in to Team Biffy?

It's awesome! :awesome:

No I haven't seen it!! Will have to check it out but not tonight, I'm going to a gig just after work.

Is it in the same vein as what they did for Booooom, blast and ruin??

Just downloaded Only Revolutions last night and I like it. :nice:

The contrary would have been surprising.. :rolleyes: