✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Albums of the Year 2010 - Counting Down!

Space Cadet

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

START COUNTING DOWN

Ok, um... here goes.

#8. Nigel Godrich - Scott Pilgrim OST

#7. Justin Bieber - My World 2.0

#6. Miley Cyrus - Can’t Be Tamed

#5. Rod Stewart - Fly Me to the Moon: The Great American Songbook, Vol. 5

#4. Westlife - Gravity

#3. Gorillaz - The Fall

#2. Jedward - Planet Jedward

AND Last but not least:

#1 Daft Punk - Tron Legacy OST

:P:thinking: Yeah, that's not right. Perhaps we should wait until I have something together to count down with.

^^Heh, that was supposed to be a joke.

But yeah I'm a little bit obsessed with it. I like putting it on the big stereo and feeling my ribcage rattle. Or maybe I just listened to way too much of the Chariots of Fire soundtrack when I was really little...

Now if only the movie was as good as the music.

I like it as a soundtrack but I don't like listening to it as an album or whatever.
I like listening to soundtracks when I'm trying to concentrate on something else. I like to make up my own stories for what I'm hearing while I work.

So I don't listen to them like other albums, but when there's a good one around I'll listen a lot. (But then I don't listen to rock and electronica albums in the same way either.)

Jabs at top 5?

1. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

2. The National - High Violet

3. Gorillaz - Plastic Beach

4. Beach House - Teen Dream

5. Vampire Weekend - Contra

Looks like a pretty good guess to me.

no LCD Soundsystem? :(
I`ll be surprised if that doesn`t finish top 10 for sure top 5 for probably.

...and yeah, the Suburbs seems to be the main one everyone could agree on.

Jabs at top 5?

1. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

2. The National - High Violet

3. Gorillaz - Plastic Beach

4. Beach House - Teen Dream

5. Vampire Weekend - Contra

My thoughts exactly, except for Gorillaz, I'm predicting it ranks a lil bit lower :escaping:

So it's not so exact then. :| :shame:

i think gorillaz will beat kanye.

did we have an album of the year poll in 2005? would be interesting to see who won between Demon Days and Late Registration. imo those two albums are gorillaz and kanyes best efforts respectively.

Gorillaz on the top 5 this year??

no way.. i mean ,they don't deserve it,in my opinion.(on the top 20 ,yes)

but we will see ..:)

p.s i don't hate them or something at all .

I see it from the musical point of view.

From what I've gathered from the countdowns over past years is that the albums are ranked by popularity of the bands at the time and not so much about musical quality. Not having a dig at the high-charting albums from the past years, far from it, but the highest charting in the lists are usually the albums that most people have listened to. Even though Plastic Beach isn't the best Gorillaz album, I predict it'll chart highly just because of how popular the band are at the moment and how many people have listened to it. I use the same reasoning for predicting The Suburbs will be #1. Good album, I wouldn't say it's the best album I've heard this year or the best of Arcade Fire's career but that doesn't matter, it's the most popular album on the board this year.

^^

exactly right. Polls show popularity, which is an objective measure and nothing more. Quality on the other hand is a subjective measure and is based on personal tastes. Despite the hearty efforts of many fangirls and fanboys over the years no album can ever be called "the best" just cos a lot of people say it is.

But the WoM poll has one very very interesting aspect to it. that is comparing the position of a band in the countdown to how many replies their thread has. beach house and kanye have relatively few posts but will probably feature quite high in the countdown. but Interpol who have a lot more probably wont do as well. and i think thats one instance where a poll does in some way reflect the quality of an album.

I feel kind of bad for not voting, it's just too hard for me to bother :shame:

Anyway I predict that The Suburbs will come in first, although undeservedly imo. Top ten is gonna have Kanye, LCD Soundsystem, Deerhunter (my top three :blush:), Vampire Weekend, Gorillaz, Soofyawn, unsure of what else.

I hope of Montreal does well. :nice: