✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

NME considers AROBTH as one of the 'Darkest Albums Ever'.

Saket

hahaha, Daylight maybe, not much else counts as legitimately dark on AROBTTH.

Hmm?? We're talking about the same album, right? :P

Politik (first half)

God Put a Smile Upon Your Face

Daylight

A Whisper

A Rush of Blood to the Head

I also interperet some darker themes in Clocks and Amsterdam. But that's just me.

One of the darkest albums of all time? No. Sufficiently dark? Most definitely. :)

I should explain further!

'Lights go out and I can't be saved, tides that I tried to swim against, have put me down upon my knees' - he's tried hard at something but has ultimately come up short and failed and is begging to be a success at something.

'Confusion never stops' - these failures leads him to question himseld whether he can consider himself proud at his work in life so far or not

'Closing walls and ticking clocks' - his life continues to tick by and is pondering whether the many options in life are now becoming slimmer by the second.

'curse missed opportunities' - ever thought for a second in your life about something that you wish you had done but the opportunity has passed you now? This is what he is cursing!

'am I a part of the cure or am I part of the disease' - contemplating whether he has contributed much in life by going out and exploring new avenues or sat on his arse doing very little

'home, home where I wanted to go, I went home...' - Where he ultimately finds himself - in the comfort of his own home rather than exploring these new avenues. Not very ambitious.

I don't think it's a song about idleness (ok it is in part) but it's a song cursing his idleness caused by loss of confidence in himself because of past failures. Whoever he or she is because I don't think it's from CM because the last thing I would call him is failure/lazy and unambitious.

Home and idleness go hand in hand on many cases. You know the feeling - 'fuck it. I'll do that at some other point. I'm far too busy searching hilarious youtube fail videos' where you could have been spending that time exploring the world or working hard at your job or studies or even meeting new people. It's a song about lack of ambition/idleness and how he resents himself for being so.

Well that's what I believe!

hahaha, fair enough!

that was an awesome answer... Lol

Guest howyousawtheworld
hahaha, fair enough!

that was an awesome answer... Lol

Thank you!

However I don't see why so many people are denying it's a dark album when it clearly is!

A dark album?

:laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

Then what should a heavy metal album be like?

Even the cover is white, how can someone say it's a dark album? :dozey:

Frankly, this is a ridiculous comment. Sorry...but it kind of is.

First of all, dark isn't necessarily defined by what the music sounds like (heavy metal, etc), but the themes presented within the music. A Rush of Blood to the Head is much darker than most shallow heavy metal albums...and it's not even that dark.

Second...what does album cover have to do with anything? OK Computer by Radiohead has a white(ish) cover, and that's an extremely dark album. As for AROBTTH...the cover may be white, but that image on the front is super dark. Scary. It makes me think of someone dissolving alive. :uhoh:

Guest howyousawtheworld
Frankly, this is a ridiculous comment. Sorry...but it kind of is.

First of all, dark isn't necessarily defined by what the music sounds like (heavy metal, etc), but the themes presented within the music. A Rush of Blood to the Head is much darker than most shallow heavy metal albums...and it's not even that dark.

Second...what does album cover have to do with anything? OK Computer by Radiohead has a white(ish) cover, and that's an extremely dark album. As for AROBTTH...the cover may be white, but that image on the front is super dark. Scary. It makes me think of someone dissolving alive. :uhoh:

It's a very iconic album cover isn't it. Recall last year it was on Royal Mail postage stamps as a selection of a few of the most iconic British album covers.

• 4 years later...

Darkest album ever...I think not. Radiohead anyone ?

Coldplay is never entirely dark and has never been. Coldplay is never a hundred percent despair. Even at its darkest (Harmless, for example), it is only 90 % desperate and 10 % hopeful ("I know you'll get through"). So is AROBTTH. But AROBTTH is perhaps one of the most intense albums, yes.

• Like 1

Darkest album ever...I think not. Radiohead anyone ?

Coldplay is never entirely dark and has never been. Coldplay is never a hundred percent despair. Even at its darkest (Harmless, for example), it is only 90 % desperate and 10 % hopeful ("I know you'll get through"). So is AROBTTH. But AROBTTH is perhaps one of the most intense albums, yes.

Lol I just love how you revived a thread about an album being dark that no one has replied since 2011 :P

• Like 1

Darkest?? It's literally one of the lightest albums I own, it's literally a light gray picture on a white background. Not even remotely dark looking.

Your comment was probably sarastic, wasn't it ? But just in case it wasn't...they meant content-wise, not the album over.

• Like 2