✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Egyptian Uprising

deaths_friend

We did it! I can't believe it, I never thought I'd see the day that Mubarak wasn't President of Egypt. For the first time in a long time, I'm proud to be Egyptian.

Now the hard work begins. We must never let this happen again. WE ARE FREE!

Congratulations. You as an Egyptian have reason to be very proud. I admire the restraint shown by the Egyptian people despite being provoked over and over again. Well done. :thumbsup:

Congratulations! :vuvuzela:

:drummer::guitarist::guitarist::singer:

All the best for EGYPT and its admirable population. :thumbsup: :sunny:

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A great step has been taken, but the war isn't over, don't lower your guard. A military junta is currently ruling the country, you must make sure it won't become a military dictatorship. Keep doing the amazing job you've done so far and I'm confident you'll succeed.

The Reason For Mubarak's Power Hand Off Delay: Plundering The Gold

From Telegraph:

The former Egyptian president is accused of amassing a fortune of more than £3 billion - although some suggest it could be as much as £40 billion - during his 30 years in power. It is claimed his wealth was tied up in foreign banks, investments, bullion and properties in London, New York, Paris and Beverly Hills.

In the knowledge his downfall was imminent, Mr Mubarak is understood to have attempted to place his assets out of reach of potential investigators.

On Friday night Swiss authorities announced they were freezing any assets Mubarak and his family may hold in the country's banks while pressure was growing for the UK to do the same. Mr Mubarak has strong connections to London and it is thought many millions of pounds are stashed in the UK.

But a senior Western intelligence source claimed that Mubarak had begun moving his fortune in recent weeks.

"We're aware of some urgent conversations within the Mubarak family about how to save these assets," said the source, "And we think their financial advisers have moved some of the money around. If he had real money in Zurich, it may be gone by now."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/egypt/8320912/Egypt-Hosni-Mubarak-used-last-18-days-in-power-to-secure-his-fortune.html

We did it! I can't believe it, I never thought I'd see the day that Mubarak wasn't President of Egypt. For the first time in a long time, I'm proud to be Egyptian.

Now the hard work begins. We must never let this happen again. WE ARE FREE!

Congrats! I truly hope Egypt gets a good government and this spreads across the middle east so more people can have freedom. Not America's version exactly but government based upon their people/culture.

Congratulations to the Citizens of Egypt for your hard-won success!!

YAY!!!!:sunny:

Keep on keeping on with democracy and freedom in the Middle East!

And we here in the West must pressure our governments to do the right things - to promote democracy throughout the Middle East, make changes in the world financial system for financial equity with Egypt and all other emerging democracies, and use the international courts to retrieve the looted money taken by Mubarak and his cronies to be returned to the citizens of Egypt.

As our illustrious President says, "I will do the right things, but you will have to make me do it". - that tells ya something about the need for pressure put to bear on Obama & Washington to get them to behave justly even when it's clear for all to see what is the right thing to do.

The Bill of Rights was demanded by We, the People, so politicians rarely act on behalf of citizens unless forced to do the right thing. Keep the pressure up - Human Rights are a natural right of all people.

And call or Email your Senator, Representative, and President - let them know that you want to see us support democratic movements in Egypt and elsewhere - we are formed from the great republics of the Mediterranean, and we aught to be promoting democracies that check and balance power, guarantee individual liberties, and promote the common good of their people.

A policy that does so in the long run creates lasting harmony and stability in the world.

Let Freedom Ring, Let Freedom Ring, Let Freedom Ring!

So it seems the Egyptians have rooted one murderous crook out of office, only to have another shoved down their throats. Mubarak handing over power to the head of his military council is like King George III telling the American colonists circa 1783 "Ok guys, you win. I'll let Cornwallis rule you now."

Discuss.

Maybe but maybe not. According to some sources, the military leader in charge now is incompetent, but perhaps that is the diplomatic sources way of saying willing to work with the people?

Momentum will not subside in Egypt; he will have to do what is right, and call for free, open, and fair elections, and lift the emergency law, returning Egypt to it's democratic and constitutional form. Would anyone settle for less at this point?

And that brings back what I said before. If the military junta feels the people got "satisfied" with Mubarak leaving, they'll surely try to stay in the power (a.k.a. military dictatorship). Like I said, the egyptians can't lower their guards. They must keep protesting until the election day.

News on 12 + 13.2.11 in relation to Egypt

News on 12 + 13.2.11 in relation to Egypt

Demonstrators clean-up Egypt's streets in the aftermath of 18 days of protest which led to Hosni Mubarak's resignation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12443678

13 February 2011 Last updated at 15:43 GMT

EGYPTIAN MILITARY DISSOLVES PARLIAMENT

Egypt's new military authorities say they are dissolving parliament and suspending the constitution.

In a statement on state TV, the higher military council said it would stay in power six months, or until elections.

Egypt's current parliament is dominated by supporters of President Hosni Mubarak, who was ousted on Friday after 18 days of mass protests.

Earlier there were scuffles in Cairo's Tahrir Square as protesters thwarted army efforts to remove them.

The military police chief has called for tents to be cleared from the area, the focal point of the uprising that led to Mr Mubarak's departure.

The BBC's Wyre Davis in Cairo says the situation on the square has become a good-natured standoff, but protesters have vowed to stay night after night.

A statement was read out on state TV on Sunday from the higher military council, saying it would suspend the constitution and set up a committee to draft a new one, before submitting it to a popular referendum.

'Victory for revolution'

The current constitution has prevented many parties and groups from standing in elections, leaving Egypt with a parliament packed with supporters of the National Democratic Party, loyal to Mr Mubarak.

Our correspondent says the new announcement means elections could be held in July or August, instead of in September as planned.

By making another important statement and providing more details of how the future state will look, he adds, the military should satisfy protesters still sceptical about the pace of change.

The opposition's Ayman Nour, who challenged Mr Mubarak for the presidency in 2005, described the military leadership's steps as a "victory for the revolution", Reuters news agency reported.

Meanwhile, caretaker Prime Minister Ahmed Shafiq said his main priority was to restore the country's security.

Speaking earlier at a news conference, he said: "Our main concern now as a cabinet is security - we need to bring back a sense of security to the Egyptian citizen.

"Parallel to that we also want to ensure that the daily life of all Egyptians goes back to normal and that basic needs like bread and healthcare are available."

He said that the country had enough reserves to weather the economic crisis, but that if instability continued there could be "obstacles".

Antiquities looted

"Our internal economic position is solid and cohesive," he said.

He also pledged to "return rights to the people and fight corruption".

Tempers frayed on Sunday morning as protesters realised hundreds of policeman - who had become hugely unpopular for their violent attempts to suppress the uprising - had entered the square.

For a few minutes there was a tense stand-off as the two sides confronted each other, before the police march peeled away and left the square.

Although there were reports of scuffles between soldiers and die-hard protesters in the square on Sunday morning, our correspondent said the operation to clear the area had previously been conducted gently.

A hardcore of several hundred protesters had remained marooned on a traffic island in the heart of the square, saying they would not move until a full timetable of reform was drawn up.

Throughout the weekend, an army of volunteers and municipal workers has cleared away debris from the streets.

Meanwhile, it has emerged that 18 antiquities - including statues of King Tutankhamun - have been stolen from the Egyptian Museum during the unrest.

Assets freeze

Earlier, Mr Obama welcomed the new military leadership's statement aired on state TV on Saturday, which implicitly confirms that the country's 1979 peace treaty with Israel will remain intact.

Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu also welcomed the announcement, saying the treaty was a cornerstone of Middle East stability.

The demonstrations were triggered by widespread unrest over unemployment, poverty and corruption.

Meanwhile, the authorities imposed travel bans on three senior officials close to Mr Mubarak.

They said former Prime Minister Ahmed Nazif, former Interior Minister Habib al-Adli and current Information Minister Anas al-Fekky were under investigation.

Mr Mubarak resigned on Friday after 18 days of protests, and was flown to his luxury residence in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh.

Mr Shafiq said on Sunday that the former president was still in the resort, despite rumours that he had fled the country.

UK Business Secretary Vince Cable has urged international co-operation to track down any illegal assets held by Mr Mubarak.

SWITZERLAND has announced a freeze on any assets held by the former president, and the UK government is under pressure to do the same.

MILITARY STATEMENT

Constitution suspended

Council to hold power for six months or until elections

Both houses of parliament dissolved

Council to issue laws during interim period

Committee set up to reform constitution and set rules for referendum

Caretaker PM Ahmed Shafiq's cabinet to continue work until new cabinet formed

Council to hold presidential and parliamentary elections

All international treaties to be honoured

ANALYSIS by Jon Leyne, BBC News, Cairo

This sweeping announcement was made on state television less than 48 hours after the departure of President Mubarak.

The constitution is being suspended, a committee is being set up to redraft it, and parliament has been dissolved.

In some ways this was expected. The military are already disregarding the constitution - there is no president at the moment, for example. The opposition will almost certainly welcome the dissolution of parliament - it was elected in a vote last autumn that was widely condemned as rigged.

But the opposition will want to know who will be on the commission to amend the constitution. And they will be uneasy about the announcement that the military will be in charge for the next six months.

Maybe but maybe not. According to some sources, the military leader in charge now is incompetent, but perhaps that is the diplomatic sources way of saying willing to work with the people?

Momentum will not subside in Egypt; he will have to do what is right, and call for free, open, and fair elections, and lift the emergency law, returning Egypt to it's democratic and constitutional form. Would anyone settle for less at this point?

And that brings back what I said before. If the military junta feels the people got "satisfied" with Mubarak leaving, they'll surely try to stay in the power (a.k.a. military dictatorship). Like I said, the egyptians can't lower their guards. They must keep protesting until the election day.

Yes, this is what I fear, and I completely agree with your points. It scares me when I hear people celebrating and hailing the day Mubarak resigned as the 'Egyptian Independence Day'. They can't stop too soon, or they'll lose all the progress they've made.

good points about the people still protesting. Then again from what I've heard Mubarak was a big military dictator too, so I'm sure though it's a change it's not much. I personally think that it's most important that the ties between Egypt and Israel remain relatively good. With so much of the mideast hating them it'd make it even more volatile to have them be at conflicts.

good points about the people still protesting. Then again from what I've heard Mubarak was a big military dictator too, so I'm sure though it's a change it's not much. I personally think that it's most important that the ties between Egypt and Israel remain relatively good. With so much of the mideast hating them it'd make it even more volatile to have them be at conflicts.

You're absolutely right. Everyone around Israel hates them, Ahmadinejad wants badly to throw an atomic bomb there. The last thing Israel needs right now is to lose an ally.

I think the military will have to make changes because it knows that people are no longer afraid of going out to the street and protesting. There is still long, long way to go; I don't think any of us involved thought we were capable of this. But we have a genuine chance to change now.

Egypt has a lot of problems; social, political, economic and even cultural, corruption is unfortunatly quite endemic and many people can't even read or write. We have to keep pressure on the military ruling body to really work towards reform and change so we can all benefit.

I think the military will have to make changes because it knows that people are no longer afraid of going out to the street and protesting. There is still long, long way to go; I don't think any of us involved thought we were capable of this. But we have a genuine chance to change now.

Egypt has a lot of problems; social, political, economic and even cultural, corruption is unfortunatly quite endemic and many people can't even read or write. We have to keep pressure on the military ruling body to really work towards reform and change so we can all benefit.

Good luck. And again: I am full of admiration for the GREAT EGYPTIAN PEOPLE - acting with such restraint and wisdom. Well done. :thumbsup:

I am sure that the outside world will keep an eye on what is going on in Egypt as well.

News on 14.2.11 in relation to EGYPT

News on 14.2.11 in relation to EGYPT

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12448413

14 February 2011 Last updated at 20:22 GMT

EGYPT CRISIS: PROTESTS SWITCH TO DEMANDS ON PAY

Fresh protests and strikes have flared in Egypt as demonstrators demand better pay and conditions from the country's new military rulers.

Bank, transport and tourism workers all demonstrated in Cairo after 18 days of protests succeeded in removing President Hosni Mubarak.

In a TV statement, the military urged all Egyptians to go back to work.

Earlier, Cairo's Tahrir Square was cleared of protesters but hundreds soon returned, joined by disgruntled police.

Hundreds of uniformed and plain-clothes police marched to Tahrir Square, shouting: "We and the people are one" and vowing to "honour the martyrs of the revolution".

They said they had been forced to act against their wishes in using force on protesters early in the anti-government demonstrations.

But they are detested by many ordinary Egyptians, says the BBC's Jon Leyne in Cairo, and repairing relations will take time and hard work.

Most of the thousands of protesters in the square had left on Sunday after welcoming the announcement by the new ruling military council that it would dissolve parliament and suspend the constitution.

'Honour the martyrs'

As the day unfolded, strikes and protests were held outside a string of government offices and at workplaces, eventually prompting a televised statement from Egypt's military rulers.

The best guarantee of a smooth transition to civilian rule would be if all Egyptians went back to work, the military said.

Strikes and disputes would "damage the security of the country", the army's ruling high council said.

Separately, UK Foreign Secretary William Hague said he had agreed to a request from Egypt to freeze the assets of several former Egyptian officials, and a French government spokesman said Paris had received similar requests - although not for the assets of Hosni Mubarak himself.

Our correspondent in Cairo says there appears to be a whole series of mini-revolutions going on in the wake of the removal of Mr Mubarak.

The big challenge now facing the military rulers may be staving off a wave of strikes, he says.

The military had to instruct banks to remain closed on Monday following the strike threats.

The Egyptian stock exchange has also postponed its reopening until Sunday at the earliest.

In protests on Monday:

Hundreds of bank employees protested outside a branch of the Bank of Alexandria in central Cairo, calling for managers to resign

Public transport workers took part in a demonstration outside the state TV and radio building, calling for better pay

Ambulance drivers parked 70 of their emergency vehicles along a riverside road in a pay protest

Police also protested, massing outside the interior ministry complaining about their pay and working conditions

Near the Great Pyramids, some 150 tourism industry workers also demanded higher wages

One protester, Ahmed Ali, told the Reuters news agency: "The big people steal and the little people get nothing."

Many employees blame bosses for what they consider to be huge earnings gaps in companies.

The tourism sector, which accounts for 6% of GDP and is in its peak season, has been badly hit by the anti-government demonstrations.

Strikes and protests at other state-owned firms across Egypt have hit the postal, media, textile and steel industries.

There are reports the military is planning to prevent meetings by labour unions or professional organisations, effectively banning strikes.

'Sincere desire'

The higher military council has said it intends to suspend the constitution and set up a committee to draft a new one, which would then be put to a popular referendum.

Key activist Wael Ghonim added that there had been an encouraging meeting between the military and youth representatives on Sunday and spoke of a "sincere desire to protect the gains of the revolution".

"[The military] said they will go after corrupt people no matter what their position current or previous," Mr Ghonim reported.

During the meeting, Mr Ghonim reported on a Facebook page, the military agreed to draft constitutional changes within 10 days and hold the referendum within two months.

During the transition the cabinet appointed by Mr Mubarak last month will go on governing, submitting legislation to the army chiefs for approval.

The opposition's Ayman Nour described the military leadership's steps as a "victory for the revolution".

At the scene / Jon Leyne / BBC News, Cairo:

Early on Monday, military police moved in to clear the last remaining democracy protesters. But Tahrir Square was not left to the motorists for long. Wave upon wave of new protesters have been coming through.

They include the police, blamed by many for repressing the earlier protests and maintaining President Hosni Mubarak in power. But the police wanted to let everyone know that they're being treated as scapegoats. Then various groups of workers joined the demonstrations, including some employees from the vast government building on the edge of the square and more anti-government demonstrators.

Across Egypt, it's a slightly chaotic situation, with workers staging their own mini-revolutions against their bosses. And there is no sign it's going to calm down any time soon.