✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Egyptian Uprising

deaths_friend

post videos and news updates of the protests taking place in Egypt at the moment.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc000YDVY5o&feature=aso]YouTube - Chasing the Egyptian riot police[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WNTE_uqHqw&NR=1]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hope none of them will steal or destroy the museums and it won't cause more deaths.

A news report here said people literally formed a human chain around a historic museum to protect it from the violence or looters. Pretty cool stuff.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr9TSjBOdKo]YouTube - MUST SEE 28.01.2011 Egypt Cairo Heavy clashes, sec forces retreating[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APioVE_6x-U]YouTube - Egypt - Mohamed ElBaradei mobbed in Tahrir Square (30-Jan-11)(REVOLUTIONARY TIMES)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce-RJmjDkZc]YouTube - Egypt chaos continues. People now started to take streets back from the Military 30/01/11[/ame]

things seem to have calmed down slightly but the anger is still there. people are disgusted at the way their own military is being used to scare them off the streets.

A news report here said people literally formed a human chain around a historic museum to protect it from the violence or looters. Pretty cool stuff.

Those are the people that I say "Good for you!". They want to see change, but their heritage, history, and ancestors means something to them. Plus, pissing off mummies and stealing their treasures can bring bad curses to you :veryangry2:.

its pretty amazing whats going on in egypt now. they are effectively in a state of anarchy. the police force is basically non-existant and ineffective, the military has gone against the government and the people have taken over the streets. and for a large modern country to be in a state an anarchy is rather frightening but to the credit of the peope of egypt they are working together to maintain some degree of law and order.

The latest out of Egypt

Thousands of Egyptian protesters remained camped out in central Cairo on Monday, the seventh day of anti-government demonstrations, and vowed to stay until they had toppled the president, Hosni Mubarak.

The authorities appear to have changed their tactics, deploying many more soldiers to the streets of the capital. Troops are no longer just patrolling on their tanks and armoured cars but on the ground, although people have mostly been able to move around freely. More police were also visible on the streets.

Military helicopters have been buzzing round the city centre all day, often at extremely low altitude, but there was little sound of gunfire, in contrast to Sunday evening.

The demonstrators have reportedly called for a general strike on Monday, and are holding prayers in honour of those killed in the unrest. There is also discussion among the demonstrators of a million-man march on Tuesday. Most shops remain closed.

The port of Alexandria was closed on Monday after the city witnessed a large protest in the morning, the Al Arabiya television station reported.

Meanwhile Moody’s said it had downgraded Egypt’s investment grade rating to Ba2 from Ba1 and changed the outlook to negative from stable. The stock market remained closed for the second consecutive trading day and most banks were also shut.

Pressure on Mr Mubarak has increased after protesters rejected his weekend appointment of a new government and the intelligence chief Omar Suleiman as vice-president.

Opposition parties insisted that the new faces were part of the same undemocratic and corrupt regime they had been battling since the eruption of protests last week.

Hundreds of people defied the curfew and camped out in Tahrir Square on Sunday, the focal point of the uprising sweeping the nation. Thousands more thronged to the square on Monday morning. Many chanted: “Go down, go down” as the soldiers looked on passively.

It was unclear what the protesters in the square intended to do for the rest of the day. Mohammed Hassan said that people would stay “until our demands are met”, namely that Mr Mubarak steps down and democratic reforms have been introduced.

“We are not against Mubarak completely, he was a good soldier,” he said. “But he just did not act like [Zein al-Abidine] Ben Ali and go away,” referring to the former Tunisian president, whose ousting this month helped trigger the Egyptian protests.

David Cameron, the British prime minister, on Monday reiterated international demands made over the weekend that Mr Mubarak refrain from seeking to use repression to end the crisis.

“It’s sensible to say that you do have a choice here, this repression, if you opt for that, that will end badly for Egypt, badly for the world,” he told BBC TV. “It’s the wrong choice to make.”

The regime’s opponents said they were forming a committee to negotiate with the army, the power that appears to be calling the shots.

As Mr Mubarak attempted to cling to power after six days of unprecedented demonstrations, which left an estimated 100 people dead, the army’s heavy deployment was still failing to quell the growing lawlessness.

The police melted away at the weekend and thousands of prisoners were either released or escaped. Mobs went on a rampage, looting shops and government buildings, and spreading fear in middle-class neighbourhoods.

I have a really close friend in Egypt too, so the fuck what. Who cares about Israel now, geez.

Protesters are out en masse again today, in the seventh day of protests. It would appear there are even more in the streets than before. A “march of millions” is being planned for Tuesday in the hopes of finally ousting Mubarak.

---

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hBV0ApIh_4]YouTube - Waseem Wagdi, Egyptian protester. Egyptian Embassy, London. 29.1.11[/ame]

---

tumblr_lfv4otbbgI1qz6z0no1_500.png

REUTERS/Asmaa Waguih

---

tumblr_lfum1tRby41qchhhqo1_500.jpg

“Small Girl on Army Track, She was chanting: Freedom, Freedom”

Photo credit: Ramy Raoof

---

Jimmy Carter: Unrest in Egypt Is 'Earth-Shaking'

PLAINS, Georgia -- Former President Jimmy Carter, who brokered a peace accord between Israel and Egypt in 1978, on Sunday called the political unrest and rioting in Egypt earth-shaking and said that President Hosni Mubarak probably will have to step down.

Carter told a Sunday school class that he teaches that the unrest is "the most profound situation in the Middle East" since he left office in 1981. He said he thinks the unrest will ease in the next week, but his "guess is Mubarak will have to leave."

The Columbus Ledger-Enquirer reported Carter's remarks made at Maranatha Baptist Church in Plains and his spokeswoman confirmed them.

"The United States wants Mubarak to stay in power, but the people have decided," Carter said.

His spokeswoman, Deanna Congileo, said no further statement would be issued.

Carter brought Egyptian President Anwar Sadat and Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin together for the peace accord signed in Washington, D.C. Sadat and Begin shared the Nobel Peace Prize for the treaty.

Mubarak was vice president at the time and became president in 1981 when Sadat was assassinated by opponents of the agreement.

Carter said that as Mubarak's 30-year rule has continued, the Egyptian leader has become more politically corrupt. "He has perpetuated himself in office," Carter said.

Mubarak has appointed Omar Suleiman, the country's intelligence chief, as vice president. "He's an intelligent man whom I like very much," Carter said of Suleiman, with whom he says he has maintained a relationship.

"In the last four or five years when I go to Egypt, I don't go to talk to Mubarak, who talks like a politician," Carter said. "If I want to know what is going on in the Middle East, I talk to Suleiman. And as far as I know, he has always told me the truth."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/01/30/jimmy-carter-unrest-egypt-earth-shaking/#ixzz1CdAo2EOl

^Not a few hours but yeah.

Egypt army: will not use violence against citizens

CAIRO Jan 31 (Reuters) - The army said on Monday it would not use force against Egyptians staging protests demanding President Hosni Mubarak step down, a statement said.

It said "freedom of expression" was guaranteed to all citizens using peaceful means.

It was the first such explicit confirmation by the army that it would not fire at demonstrators who have taken to the streets of Egypt since last week to try to force Mubarak to quit.

"The presence of the army in the streets is for your sake and to ensure your safety and wellbeing. The armed forces will not resort to use of force against our great people," the army statement said.

"Your armed forces, who are aware of the legitimacy of your demands and are keen to assume their responsibility in protecting the nation and the citizens, affirms that freedom of expression through peaceful means is guaranteed to everybody."

It urged people not resort to acts of sabotage that violate security and destroy public and private property. It warned that it would not allow outlaws and to loot, attack and "terrorise citizens". (Writing by Samia Nakhoul, Editing by Alison Williams)

http://af.reuters.com/article/egyptNews/idAFLDE70U2JC20110131

see i hate how no matter what happens, and as incredible as this revolution is, they cant do any more than theyre doing already and JUST protesting cant make the "president" resign, unfortunately it seems that violence sometimes has to happen which absolutely sucks...i hope that idiot leader would just resign already before more lives are lost because i doubt this ends with him still in power...

btw, im just sayin, i bet all the "president" is doing right now is listening to viva la vida :D