✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Tim Wheeler and The Pierces talk about Coldplay's LP5 recording sessions

busybeeburns

Maybe they have been starting and stopping so they could spend some time with their families. They were on tour for a really long time and you all want them to do what...tell their kids to fuck off so they can be in the studio for 24/7 to appease us?

As for them recording while Tim was there, Miller says they record everything and keep it all stashed. It might appear on LP12 for all we know. :P

Guest howyousawtheworld

Well collaborating with Tim Wheeler and The Pierces is undoubtedly a massive positive step up and will go a long way to cleaning up those horrid decisions made like inviting Girls Aloud to support them at Wembley and whoring themselves out to the American pop market for much of the Viva period by messing around with the likes of Jay Z and Beyonce. I now fear that Chris Martin will share a stage with Lady Gaga in the future which will make me absolutely die inside. Nightmares are made from things like that. Sure they can do that all they want and are free to do that but don't tell me it's a step up from working with the likes of Ian McCulloch, Richard Ashcroft and Michael Stipe.

That's so... snob. I don't know girls aloud but Jay-Z and Beyonce are good in their genres and they seem to work very hard. Just because they're not "alternative/indie/rock/whatever" doesn't mean they're bad. Also "whoring themselves" is also snobby. Music is their job and even though I don't like their recent stuff, they play for money and it's better for them to get a bigger audience and they know they'll do that playing more pop-ish songs.

I don't care who are they collaborating with or whatever, as antonia said, I just want them to be themselves.

Guest howyousawtheworld
That's so... snob. I don't know girls aloud but Jay-Z and Beyonce are good in their genres and they seem to work very hard. Just because they're not "alternative/indie/rock/whatever" doesn't mean they're bad. Also "whoring themselves" is also snobby. Music is their job and even though I don't like their recent stuff, they play for money and it's better for them to get a bigger audience and they know they'll do that playing more pop-ish songs.

I don't care who are they collaborating with or whatever, as antonia said, I just want them to be themselves.

I'm not being snobby! Yes they are good at their jobs but it just seems like Coldplay selling out big time. I know Coldplay are one of if not the biggest bands in the world and are accused of selling out because they are so but their Viva period deserved more attention to the people who helped them get there like a Richard Ashcroft or Ian McCulloch.

edit - and as for being themselves, the Coldplay albums I listen to - they are being themselves. They are always being themselves. I don't know why people buy into the press bullshit that they are trying to imitate U2 or something because that's bollocks. I've never listened to a Coldplay song thinking 'who are they trying to be because they aren't trying to be themselves' There doesn't need to be just one definite sound to a band because after time it gets boring.

I'm not being snobby! Yes they are good at their jobs but it just seems like Coldplay selling out big time. I know Coldplay are one of if not the biggest bands in the world and are accused of selling out because they are so but their Viva period deserved more attention to the people who helped them get there like a Richard Ashcroft or Ian McCulloch.

edit - and as for being themselves, the Coldplay albums I listen to - they are being themselves. They are always being themselves. I don't know why people buy into the press bullshit that they are trying to imitate U2 or something because that's bollocks. I've never listened to a Coldplay song thinking 'who are they trying to be because they aren't trying to be themselves' There doesn't need to be just one definite sound to a band because after time it gets boring.

i feel like if they are being themselves, then they can't be selling out. i mean, if they are just doing what they want to do, then the money aspect of it doesn't matter. they're just making music and playing with other musicians, they don't necessarily care who. it's just probably a lot easier for them to play with certain people than others. :P

Guest howyousawtheworld
i feel like if they are being themselves, then they can't be selling out. i mean, if they are just doing what they want to do, then the money aspect of it doesn't matter. they're just making music and playing with other musicians, they don't necessarily care who. it's just probably a lot easier for them to play with certain people than others. :P

Admittedly a fair point that destroys my comment. Sorry if I appeared snobbish to Lore and to yourself. :)

it's ok. i can understand the frustration of seeing your favorite band collab with people you don't particularly care for. :P

but, like i said, as long as they're enjoying themselves, it's good enough for me. :shrug:

THIS.

For me its all about enjoying yourself and having fun. I mean , they are living the life that million of people would want , they are living the lifes that I'm sure they have dreamed of since were little , they are "Rock Stars". And one of the best things that comes with that , IMO , is to be able to work/know with people you admire , you have liked , or with people that are new artists . Even experimenting with them , or working with them , maybe on an unreleased track or a soon to be released track , i dont think they are selling themselves JUST because of that .

Plus IMO it must be refreshing to include someone new in the studio , I mean , i know we all want coldplay to spent a couple of years locked in the studio ( the 4 of them) working in amazing quality material for them to release , but I imagine it gets boring , and its nice and fun and it expands the creative process of what music really is .

Its not like EMI is hooking up Coldplay with Kesha cause they need a hit for sure and they are making them working lol , they are freeing themselves , and i think that actually , when they experiment , they work with other people , or get arround other artist , they are actually beeing themselves. They are not 4 isolated people that only have to work with eachother

I just want those 4 boys from 1998 to make an amazing album. Coldplay album influenced by Coldplay!

^:thumbsup:!!!

i am not amused. suddenly the terrible "lhuna" comes to my mind :/

okay, not every collaboration or special guest appearance (like davide rossi on viva la vida)

is bad.. but they should get along with themselfs and with what they have! it's even enough for at least TWO masterpieces!

I dont understand why on a fansite you're all talking about your favourite band 'selling out'. Im sure you all agree that the 4 albums they have released were amazing so no need 2 dispute about them selling out!In my opinion though why is the singer from ASH going anywhere near the studio?I mean ASH? One word AWFUL! Im more concerned about the article saying they have started all over!I mean they have booked all of these festivals in the summer (got my T In The Park ticket :-) ) so you have to assume they are way further down the line then they are letting on. Remember when Radiohead released 'In Rainbows' they didn't really promote the album at all before. I wouldn't be surprised if we had some MAJOR news anytime now!

A little bit more from Tim:

Coldplay's new record features a track inspired by Ash's 2010 single 'Dare To Dream'.

Coldplay's new record features a track inspired by Ash's 'Dare To Dream'.

The 'Violet Hill' group recently worked with Tim Wheeler from the 'Girl From Mars' group on a tack which frontman Chris Martin admitted had been inspired by the band's 2010 single.

Tim told BANG Showbiz: "I showed up one day and they were working on a song which Chris was saying had taken a bit of inspiration from one of our recent single 'Dare To Dream'.

"I had randomly gone to the studio for lunch and it was the day they happened to be working on that song, so I sat in and jammed with them and Brian Eno, which was really amazing."

Despite playing with the band, Tim said he couldn't make out much about how their forthcoming fifth album will sound, as their level of experimentation and attention to detail meant they keep changing arrangements and structures of their tracks.

He added: "All I've heard is this one track, and during that afternoon the song changed rhythm about four times.

"They have a very flexible way of working. They'll go in one direction, then they'll rip it up again."

Tim also explained how he's been close friends with Chris since Coldplay's first album, Parachutes, came out in 2000.

He added: "Me and Chris met just after their first album came out, and became really good friends. We toured with Coldplay in America, and he' sang on a couple of Ash tracks.

"We're the same age and I think he even saw us play at the Astoria when he was at University. He's always said he like our music."

Tim is presently assembling a set of covers of tracks by the band Pixies, which he will perform at this year's JD Set concert in London on March 24.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/coldplay-inspired-by-ash_1204618