✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Tim Wheeler and The Pierces talk about Coldplay's LP5 recording sessions

busybeeburns

coldplay286.jpg

Collaboration News - Tim Wheeler and The Pierces hint at Coldplay album appearances

Recently described by a tabloid newspaper as an "unofficial member of Coldplay", Ash front man Tim Wheeler has been setting the record straight on his contribution to Chris Martin and co's forthcoming album.

Coldplay, who are headlining Glastonbury this year, have been working with regular producers Brian Eno and Markus Dravs on their new album, which is the follow-up to 2008's 'Viva La Vida Or Death and All His Friends'.

Wheeler admits he was in the studio with the band: "I showed up one day at the studio and they were starting to work on a song that, actually, I think had a bit of an influence from one of our recent singles. So, they said 'here take up the guitar' and the next thing I know I'm jamming along with them and Eno. I was really buzzed 'coz I'm such a big Eno fan as well."

It hasn't been confirmed whether or not this jam session will be used on the Coldplay album, as Wheeler explained: "I don’t know if it's going to be on the record. It's almost like a pre-rehearsal. They were figuring out the arrangement and I was jamming along. They were actually recording it but I think they were going to go start from scratch again. There was one little guitar lick I was playing that I think Chris was quite excited about. I think they can slot that in. There's got to be a chance!"

Coldplay's latest album has been a long time coming. So long, in fact, that bassist Guy Berryman has had time to produce a record for someone else in his spare time. New York duo The Pierces came over to Coldplay's London studio to make their fourth album.

Catherine and Allison from The Pierces also gave 6 Music News some inside information about Chris Martin's movements and it turns out they too have been getting in on the Coldplay album action: "We sang on a song but I think it got scrapped. They started a record and then they scrapped it and then they were going to start over. Then I heard they pulled the first, initially scrapped, record back out and that’s the one that we were on. So, I don’t know if we're still on there or not. We won't know until it comes out."

Listen to Mark Savage speak to The Pierces:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20110225_coldplayalbum.shtml

I'm not really excited about this news.

yeah, me neither...I had this feeling they were going to scratch what they were doing and start again, but well, if it's for the best it should be fine. I wonder if they regret having commited to perform at all those festivals :uhoh:

I agree about how it doesn't sound great that they've been starting and stopping, and I'm not exactly keen on collaborations outside of live gigs for the most part, but I don't know, I think the stopping and starting thing sounds somewhat promising, like they're taking this really seriously and not just making another album to put out by a certain date because it's time. Not that I think they're just in this for the money or are puppets for the label, but sometimes I worry about them in terms of quality and influences and their "big ideas," and if they're taking their time and really considering what they're doing before putting anything out, it makes me feel a bit better :shrug:.

Probably not a popular opinion, but at least they're not rushing it.