✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Chris Martin v Guy Berryman

Guest howyousawtheworld

Guest howyousawtheworld

So I read an extract from Matt McGinn's book on The Independent website (for some reason I haven't bought the book) and was surprised to learn of a frosty episode between Chris Martin and Guy Berryman in which Mr Berryman was understandably pissed off at CM for stopping half way through a practice of A Whisper. The extract is below.

So anyway, the soundcheck was ticking along all right until Chris suggested having a stab at "A Whisper", an epic, sweeping kind of a song from the (then) new record. Although the tune was perhaps better suited to the echoey environs of a packed hockey arena than a small empty disco, the lads gamely dove in, making a pretty good start. But after about half a minute, the singer gave in and threw up his hands.

"All right, stop. Stop! It sounds fucking shit."

A few nasty clunks followed as the song drifted up a verge towards the hay bales and old tyres, finally jerking to a halt. Then silence.

Oh dear. "You idiot," exclaimed Guy (Berryman, the bassist), somewhat peeved at the interruption. He rounded on his mate and glared. "Of course it sounds shit," he spat, with the measured disdain some Scots seem to be able to save for the English. "We haven't played it since we recorded it, have we, for fuck's sake!" Whether it was pre-gig nerves, or the fact that he felt foolish because he knew Guy had a point, I'm not sure. Either way, Chris then temporarily lost touch with his niceness and called his friend "a c..." in so venomous a fashion that our loveable Caledonian felt moved to respond thus:

"I'm going to fucking hit you in a minute."

"Well, go on then!" came the retort, sounding more like an order than an invite.

Bloody hell, here we go, I thought.

Guy has confessed to me since that at this point he became so furious that anything could have happened, and he really wasn't much more than a kilt's width from braining Chris with his vintage Fender. Instead, distracted by the sound of Will (Champion) joining in on Guy's side from behind the drums, our chums plumped for a small chunk of pre-fight chat. The bassist was having none of it, and appeared now to be slightly amused by Chris's fury:

CM: (Really angry): "Hit me then, Guy! Come on!"

GB: (Smiling a bit): "No!"

Don't blame Guy for getting pissed off and if it was me I would have given Chris a delicious knuckle sandwich. But as Matt McGinn wrote it shows that Coldplay aren't Chris Martin's musical driving vehicle, it's very much a case of all 4 getting their hands on. At the same time Guy Berryman is probably the most musically ambitious of the 4 as his good work with Apparatjik has shown which has made me believe he'd be the most likely to give up on Coldplay. I'd love to see more of what Guy has to offer with Coldplay so I hope we get that with LP5. That said I think his role production wise will be so important for Coldplay in the future and the next album.

Who'd win in a fight between Chris and Guy by the way?! I'd certainly back the Kircaldy Kruncher!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"he really wasn't much more than a kilt's width from braining Chris with his vintage Fender."

is it bad that when i read that, i actually pictured Guy murdering Chris with his bass? :uhoh:

well, anyway, i have a feeling that probably neither of them would win in a physical fight, they'd just beat each other up until someone came in and stopped them. i mean, Guy does look pretty tough, but Chris isn't exactly skin and bones either and he's bigger, at least height-wise...

i think you'd have to look at their personalities as well. according to story, Chris was very angry towards the end, but Guy just thought that was funny. so maybe Chris would stay angry and then Guy would just be amused by it or something.

i guess what i'm really saying is i have no idea. :P

I kind of wonder if each member did their own little solo project, what kind of music and/or style they would come up with.

. . . I don't think that relates to the thread topic. :blank:

Anyway, I think Chris would win. Or maybe it would be a draw. :P

Matt also mentioned in his book how Chris and Guy would be the ones in the band most likely to get into some sort of conflict. There was another part talking about how they were arguing over naming the album "Parachutes".

. At the same time Guy Berryman is probably the most musically ambitious of the 4 as his good work with Apparatjik has shown which has made me believe he'd be the most likely to give up on Coldplay. I'd love to see more of what Guy has to offer with Coldplay so I hope we get that with LP5. That said I think his role production wise will be so important for Coldplay in the future and the next album.

Apparatjik is not a band and makes no real work and any real musics .

me I like less stupid Superbands, who loves so much stupid to be famous .

against all the medias . I hate the fashion world stupid superficial because not know me .

and not like to become famous .

info by Apparatjik :

There is no about apparatjik. there is only with or against apparatjik. we have been left too long in this cold outlandish place to be denied. granted, some of us have certain characteristics, some have others. but we all share the same genepool. but nothing. no buts, no ifs. it starts with an experiment and continues with another. and so it goes. one day you come home and find a different you in the mirror. hullo. days are nowhere nearly done before they are gone. change the frequency. sleepless saga nights; frozen fingers, frozen moments of zen. and the realization:

we were somewhere. somewhere else we were. not no more. we are here.

who care, only me

^ why do you bring up fashion?

And please, don't answer that.

:laugh3:

Anyways...I would put my money on Guy actually. Though,Chris is bigger and stuff,Guy looks tougher in my opinion. But as we all know, Will would take care of the whole situation as he did here as well ;)

^ why do you bring up fashion?

And please, don't answer that.

fashion = is stupid people with no sense of empathy, emotions, kindness.

to recognize that everyone is deferring, and life differring experienced of differing characters because everyone wants to be perfect in life and crushes the normal people.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Apparatjik is not a band and makes no real work and any real musics .

me I like less stupid Superbands, who loves so much stupid to be famous .

against all the medias . I hate the fashion world stupid superficial because not know me .

and not like to become famous .

who care, only me

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest howyousawtheworld
I kind of wonder if each member did their own little solo project, what kind of music and/or style they would come up with.

. . . I don't think that relates to the thread topic. :blank:

Anyway, I think Chris would win. Or maybe it would be a draw. :P

Matt also mentioned in his book how Chris and Guy would be the ones in the band most likely to get into some sort of conflict. There was another part talking about how they were arguing over naming the album "Parachutes".

Don't worry it does relate

! I think Chris Martin would obviously be a solo artist making an album with many contributions from other big music stars. I think Will Champion would also make it as a solo artist an even better one than Chris in my opinion, as some form of English folk musician which would be too immense to comprehend. Guy would continue his obscure, experimental work with Apparatjik and other artists as well as doing more production and I think Jonny would contribute with solo artists/bands. But yeah - Will solo would be immense. Can sing and play all the instruments in the universe it seems!

! I think Chris Martin would obviously be a solo artist making an album with many contributions from other big music stars. I think Will Champion would also make it as a solo artist an even better one than Chris in my opinion, as some form of English folk musician which would be too immense to comprehend. Guy would continue his obscure, experimental work with Apparatjik and other artists as well as doing more production and I think Jonny would be contribute with solo artists/bands. But yeah - Will solo would be immense. Can sing and play all the instruments in the universe it seems!

Sounds interesting

Apparatjik this persons unique but is a brilliant figure ill but just because the humanoids making Superbands media record labels

experience and you'll find Guy

- please my prayer !!!! "Martin" my friend

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nENdmpkAh_I]YouTube - Apparatjik Broadcast #2[/ame]

Guest howyousawtheworld
Apparatjik this persons unique but is a brilliant figure ill but just because the humanoids making Superbands media record labels

experience and you'll find Guy

- please my prayer !!!! "Martin" my friend

YouTube - Apparatjik Broadcast #2

Hmm after seeing that video I'm worried about Guy's health. Has he had a stroke?

Hmm after seeing that video I'm worried about Guy's health. Has he had a stroke?

ROTFL

The Chris/ Guy relationship has been one of the most speculated for a while now.

Indeed Guy does look very bored with the whole thing - it just looks like he's not having fun anymore, and there's that YouTube clip where he leaves stage and for a whole song.

I guess it's wrong of us speculate about people we don't actually know. We think we do, but all we have to go on is how they come across to us - i.e. their public persona. It may be very different to who they are as people - after all , they are performers.

Having said that, my vote goes to Chris in a fight between the two. He's not someone I'd want to be in conflict with, because he's such an immensley driven individual he could easily overpower someone stronger than him through sheer willpopwer.

Guy comes across as rather prissy and I don't think he'd stand a chance in a fight with Chris. He'd be too worried about messing up his hair. ;)

Don't worry it does relate

! I think Chris Martin would obviously be a solo artist making an album with many contributions from other big music stars. I think Will Champion would also make it as a solo artist an even better one than Chris in my opinion, as some form of English folk musician which would be too immense to comprehend. Guy would continue his obscure, experimental work with Apparatjik and other artists as well as doing more production and I think Jonny would contribute with solo artists/bands. But yeah - Will solo would be immense. Can sing and play all the instruments in the universe it seems!

Chris wouldn't go solo unless he could go solo with Jonny. :P

nah, just some breadsticks...

Guest howyousawtheworld
Chris wouldn't go solo unless he could go solo with Jonny. :P

nah, just some breadsticks...

Ahhh! "Special" breadsticks??!

Guest howyousawtheworld
ROTFL

The Chris/ Guy relationship has been one of the most speculated for a while now.

Indeed Guy does look very bored with the whole thing - it just looks like he's not having fun anymore, and there's that YouTube clip where he leaves stage and for a whole song.

I guess it's wrong of us speculate about people we don't actually know. We think we do, but all we have to go on is how they come across to us - i.e. their public persona. It may be very different to who they are as people - after all , they are performers.

Having said that, my vote goes to Chris in a fight between the two. He's not someone I'd want to be in conflict with, because he's such an immensley driven individual he could easily overpower someone stronger than him through sheer willpopwer.

Guy comes across as rather prissy and I don't think he'd stand a chance in a fight with Chris. He'd be too worried about messing up his hair. ;)

But Guy's Scottish! For that reason alone he'd whip Chris's poncy English butt any day (totally ignoring the fact England v Scotland rugby match this weekend where Scotland will probably get humped)!

Ahhh! "Special" breadsticks??!

well, he did say they're nice with red wine. :thinking:

WHAT IF (since apparently Guy's Scottishness would give him an advantage) Chris ate some of these "special" breadsticks and then they got into a fight?

or maybe that would actually slow him down. what if Guy ate the breadsticks and then they fought? :P

But Guy's Scottish! For that reason alone he'd whip Chris's poncy English butt any day (totally ignoring the fact England v Scotland rugby match this weekend where Scotland will probably get humped)!

Yes, but isn't Guy from the small a-typical part that prefers shortbread and afternoon tea to bar room brawls? :)