✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

my opinion

Italian Plastic

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest howyousawtheworld

I don't think it's produced that great. Just because it's Brian Eno doesn't automatically mean it's great.

What's not to love about Cemeteries of London? :P One of my favourites! :)

It is a good album technically (in terms of production, instrumentation, etc), but like you said, most of the songs aren't actually very good. Don't even get me started on the abomination that is 42. :P

Guest howyousawtheworld
I hate Cemeteries of London, just saying.

I love Violet Hill, just saying.

Actually I feel that's one of the best produced songs on the album. It's just a fantastic and along with Amsterdam Coldplay's best song IMO.

I think the best produced album is AROBTTH. Simple but incredibly powerful and effective. It's got the best batch of songs on it. VLVODAAHF comes second in terms of standard of songs. Both are easily their 2 albums.

i think VLV is very well produced but just produced in the wrong way. the reason why rush of blood sounds so good is because the production qualities on it suit coldplays brand of music. they haven't tried too hard to smooth out all the blemishes and make it sound perfect and that works for coldplay. it complements the emotions and feeling in chris's melodies and vocals. but with VLV you can tell they tried to perfect every little aspect of it so it turned out sounding overtly polished. in turn making it almost emotionless and plastic.

still a good album.

Guest howyousawtheworld
i think VLV is very well produced but just produced in the wrong way. the reason why rush of blood sounds so good is because the production qualities on it suit coldplays brand of music. they haven't tried too hard to smooth out all the blemishes and make it sound perfect and that works for coldplay. it complements the emotions and feeling in chris's melodies and vocals. but with VLV you can tell they tried to perfect every little aspect of it so it turned out sounding overtly polished. in turn making it almost emotionless and plastic.

still a good album.

What I really didn't like about VLV was the tampering with Chris's voice. The overdubbing/distorting of his voice on a few of the tracks (they did that on Christmas Lights as well) and the fact his voice never really broke cover or was allowed to disappointed me. It can work and has worked on previous songs but it never worked on this album. He was almost drowned out by the music on a few tracks as well. I thought it really sucked the life out of his voice. It wasn't the crystal icy powerful voice we got from the first two albums. A lot of tracks early on were built around his voice but with the last two albums that doesn't seem to be the case and isn't to the benefit of their sound.

I think some songs sound "average", like LIJ but some others don't, like imo DAAHF or Chinese Sleep Chant. I still like it and I listen to most songs when I listen to it. Contrary to Lore's case, I did not like it very much at first, after a few listens I dicovered I started liking some songs and then some more. However, I agree with that the way emotions are expressed has been changed or sort of tempered down a bit. That's how it feels to me. They're still there, but on the other albums, they were more palpable, raw, etc.

oh, and Cemetries of London is one of the songs I like :P

I think those albums are the ones we associate with the sound of the band. I still think they can do great things, but it will be difficult to recreate something similar to those albums -and the same reactions to them- cause if they do, it won't be fresh or new as those were. And well, they're not the boys they were back then, that surely must affect what they do.

Maybe it's not the album for you...don't listen to it if it makes you cringe :P

I honestly tried to like it, I did. I listened to it for that whole summer, non stop, and it just didn't work for me like X&Y and AROBTTH. I waited for LP4 so long that when I listened to the free download of Violet Hill I got immensely disappointed, then VLV was available, and it just got worse. It all went downhill after that.

Well, maybe it does not work for you :shrug: it has happened to me with other albums, like No Line On The Horizon. Sometimes when you try to like something, it just does not happen, I did not like it at first (VLV), I mean I did not hate it, but I wasn't amazed by it either, then I spent a couple of months without even listening to it, but then I gave it another go and I started liking it, I don't know what makes one like it or not :thinking: maybe cuz the second time I listened to it after a few months I had no expectations and I knew it was different from the other albums.