✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

First

MrMagpie

Maybe EMI made the guys release it as the first single--they are strapped for cash right now, aren't they? So it would make sense for them to have the guys release a single that is Viva-ish and could bring in some money . . . . hrmm :thinking:

I think this makes a lot of sense. I hope you're right.

Maybe EMI made the guys release it as the first single--they are strapped for cash right now, aren't they? So it would make sense for them to have the guys release a single that is Viva-ish and could bring in some money . . . . hrmm :thinking:

That really makes sense.

^ It does, and it could even relate to Chris saying 'working for someone you don't like', if EMI really pushed them to write a hit single.....

That's another genius remark. I'd been wondering about this. :stunned:

However, the guys seem to love it themselves... The way they played it at Rock am Ring... Is it all just set up? A piece opf comedy?

That's another genius remark. I'd been wondering about this. :stunned:

However, the guys seem to love it themselves... The way they played it at Rock am Ring... Is it all just set up? A piece opf comedy?

They seem to enjoy playing it, yes (but Jonny has such a freakin' awesome riff anyway :P ) but I can't help wondering how Chris felt about them auto-tuning his voice in the first few lines--that's the only part I actually hate about ETiaW (except for Will's solo at the end, which I passionately dislike)

And I do remember reading an article some time ago about how originally the guys were going to release another album a few months after Viva so they could get out of their record contract with EMI--who slated them to release 5/6 studio albums (can't remember the exact number) and a Greatest Hits.

They just played a 1 and a half year world tour at as good as sold out venues and Viva sold hundreds of thousands of copies. How can they be stripped for cash?

They just played a 1 and a half year world tour at as good as sold out venues and Viva sold hundreds of thousands of copies. How can they be stripped for cash?

I have no idea :shifty: but I remember a question to the Oracle quite a while back asking how many copies of Viva it would take to bail out EMI--it was some outrageous number in the billions.

I have no idea :shifty: but I remember a question to the Oracle quite a while back asking how many copies of Viva it would take to bail out EMI--it was some outrageous number in the billions.

A great deal of the revenue from their tour went strait to the organisations and Coldplay themselves. EMI mainly earns money by selling records.

True. I hadn't thought of that--but EMI no doubt earned some money through just the hype of the tour; it probably helped loads with Viva's sales

Indeed, no doubt. But as said earlier, EMI's debt seems a lot larger, something Coldplay can't make on their own.

True. I hadn't thought of that--but EMI no doubt earned some money through just the hype of the tour; it probably helped loads with Viva's sales

I know nothing about the business of music but I'd suspect that the old forumlas are dead. Used to be the record company made most of the money on record sales and the band made the money on shows & merchandising. In the digital age, the record company can't break even on sales alone so I wonder if they now get part of the gate also?

Indeed, no doubt. But as said earlier, EMI's debt seems a lot larger, something Coldplay can't make on their own.

Exactly. Personally, I'm hoping they break with EMI after their contract ends and either get picked up by another (read: better) label or go solo

We're getting very far off topic with this discussion :awesome: