✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Should I Learn Guitar?

86Timewarp

Hello peoplez....lmfao

I've been playing piano for 3 years and I'm self-taught. Even though most Coldplay songs are piano based, the others are guitar based such as: songs from LP5, See You Soon and Til Kingdom Come. So should I learn guitar? Also I'm left handed so if I learn left handed it's gonna take longer since most tutorials on youtube are right-handed, or learn right handed and it'll feel weird?

But I'm left handed too, and play guitar normally. You should try that too.

Well yes, it's always better to play on mutliple instruments, but if it's about the songs you mentioned you can play them on piano too. I don't see a problem. Maybe Chris plays the new songs on guitar but still, he plays them so quietly or I'm so deaf that I wouldn't hear a difference if he didn't play it at all : P And about 'Til Kingdom Come it's sooo more beautiful on piano. Really.

Yes, See You Soon is definitely and exception so you're right.

Yes, but as you noticed I'm mostly a piano player. It's not really hard to get when you know the very basics on piano. Every fret changes the sound by half of the tone (0-E, 1-F, 2-F#, 3- G and so on). I'm not a good guitar player, I would say I even can't play it but still I would be able to play Coldplay songs. If that's the purpose you want to achieve just learn the chords and start stretching you fingers to be able to play barre chords and read tabs (it's easier than reading sheets or anything else). But if you want to play more than that well just practice the theory and study it a little deeper and I think that you'll also be able to play complicate songs are invent something on your own.

Yes, See You Soon is definitely and exception so you're right.

Yes, but as you noticed I'm mostly a piano player. It's not really hard to get when you know the very basics on piano. Every fret changes the sound by half of the tone (0-E, 1-F, 2-F#, 3- G and so on). I'm not a good guitar player, I would say I even can't play it but still I would be able to play Coldplay songs. If that's the purpose you want to achieve just learn the chords and start stretching you fingers to be able to play barre chords and read tabs (it's easier than reading sheets or anything else). But if you want to play more than that well just practice the theory and study it a little deeper and I think that you'll also be able to play complicate songs are invent something on your own.

haha thanks, i just need a guitar and i gotta know where the notes are

• 2 weeks later...

My first instrument was guitar and 2 years ago I began to pick up piano as well. It was a great decision. My understanding of the piano has expanded my vision on the guitar. I am by no means an expert player, mediocre at best in fact, but I have a much better understanding of the guitar now that I know the principles of piano. I would say yes, try out guitar if you have the time and desire to learn. Many Lefties learn on right handed guitars as well...

the cool thing about guitar is the speed of which you learn it.

I've had 10 lesons so far, and can already play quite a few songs (hundreds with 4 simple chords..)

True, most songs are just 4 chord progressions, like piano. The only issue will be learning placement and the fact i'm left handed

On the left handedness, I would recommend finding your nearest music stores and seeing if they carry left-handed guitars, then you can try playing both right-handed and left-handed guitars and see how each feel. Even though you might not know how to play yet, you can still see what it feels like. Left-handed guitars are more prevalent than before, and I'm sure if you put your mind to it, playing on a right-handed guitar isn't out of the ordinary.

I would even argue that learning on a right-handed guitar shouldn't be that difficult because the fretting hand, or left hand, does more work and requires more coordination than the strumming hand (the right hand).

That said, you will be fine either way! :)