✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Radiohead

Music is so subjective.

It's crazy to me how people are saying this is their best album yet.

People are actually saying that?

I'm not even very sure how anyone could possibly have a definite opinion of the album on it's first few days out, mind claiming it's their best or worst work.

I read his post about there being a stream of music and keeping updated with the newspaper as there being more music

Music is so subjective.

It's crazy to me how people are saying this is their best album yet.

I agree. I don't hate the album, but I still think it's some of their weaker work. I think in terms of arrangement and layering it's brilliant.

Once again, it doesn't feel like an album but more of an EP... to me the album isn't fully consistent throughout with the sound or flow.

As people are ranking songs I'll rank mine

1. Lotus Flower

2. Bloom

3. Codex

4. Give Up the Ghost

5. Little By Little

6. Separator

7. Feral

8. Morning Mr. Magpie

The only one I can't seem to get is Morning Mr. Magpie. Still way too used to the acoustic version. This one sounds a lot like Bangers & Mash

^I agree with it sounding like an EP, I'm in the camp of vaguely expecting something Amnesiac-y after this, probably with the vinyl set.

It's a fucking brilliant EP though, if it is an EP. So cohesive and mellow and brilliantly produced and et cetera. Really good music. Just sort of hard to grapple with it being a Radiohead release, or a Radiohead album more specifically, coz it doesn't have the... I don't know, breadth? I guess? that a lot of their albums do. It seems to me like there's only one emotional theme, which you can't really say about their other albums, because most of them explore different emotional directions.

^I agree with it sounding like an EP, I'm in the camp of vaguely expecting something Amnesiac-y after this, probably with the vinyl set.

It's a fucking brilliant EP though, if it is an EP. So cohesive and mellow and brilliantly produced and et cetera. Really good music. Just sort of hard to grapple with it being a Radiohead release, or a Radiohead album more specifically, coz it doesn't have the... I don't know, breadth? I guess? that a lot of their albums do. It seems to me like there's only one emotional theme, which you can't really say about their other albums, because most of them explore different emotional directions.

I don't even think it's that. I mean I was around for the In Rainbows release and was disappointed believe it or not then initially but for different reasons. That time it was because I was so used to the live 2006 versions, and hearing the studio versions some songs sounded a lot different which I didn't like.

For me what I feel is different is that I'd have to disagree with cohesiveness. I think the album is actually incohesive. I don't seem to have any mood, colors, or emotions associated with the album. For me I feel the other albums had a common theme or relative sound throughout. This one on the other hand, does have some similar themes of sound (jazzy, natural electronic sounds), but even then I feel it's not a single unit.

I still think the album is very complex in arrangement and sound which I love about it. I think the band have possibly taken arrangement to a new level (especially after listening in depth to Codex, Lotus Flower and Bloom). I guess for me in general besides Lotus Flower there are no songs that to me that really stick out. That might be the issue. All other albums had at least one or two of those unbelievable big songs (PH-Creep, The Bends-Fake Plastic Trees/Street Spirit, OK Computer-PA/Karma Police/No Surprises/Lucky, Kid A-EIIRP/HTDC/Idioteque, Amnesiac-Pyramid Song/I Might Be Wrong/You and Whose Army, HTTT-There There/2+2=5/Where I End and You Begin, IR-Pretty much the whole album).

This album to me, I hate to say it, but there aren't really any serious stand out tracks that I feel I could honestly put up against those other songs. Don't get me wrong I think a lot of it is brilliant with arrangement (like GUTG, Bloom, Lotus Flower, Codex), but I guess I feel it feels different.

Also I feel that Jonny and Ed's presence aren't here nearly as much as I was expecting which is another problem. It sort of feels more like a Thom solo album.

I don't want people to think I hate this album or whatever. I really like it, and with each listen I am enjoying it more and more. I just feel this album is different or out of place.

Anyone share similar sentiments, or am I all alone? :P

edit: sorry for the excessively long post :lol:

It'd be really interesting to see what sounds or whatever were done by ed and jonny. you never know, maybe all thom did on the album was sing. maybe this is a jonny solo album! haha

To me this album has Thom written all over it. I don't really hear any guitar or ambient sounds from Ed. I hear Jonny in this a little, with the guitar in GUTG and Separator, and also arrangements in Bloom and Codex. But to me they seem to be missing.

Oh how I agree! I guess it's wrong to assume that the album is the next step from In Rainbows since Thom's solo work was squeezed in between. And after all, Thom is the one writing the songs, so it sounding like the next step from his solo work isn't at all surprising to me.

Now, I might be very wrong here, but it feels like the rest of the band didn't get as much room as they've had before.

And, god, I can't help to think that it won't sound too exciting if they'll try to reproduce the sound of the album when they play it live :sad:

I need to digest it a little more before I can properly rank the songs.

But I can say that Codex and Lotus Flower are at the top of my list.

I can also say (and based on what most people have posted thus far, I'll probably be sentenced to stoning for saying this)...

Bloom will probably be toward the bottom of my list. :|

I don't even think it's that. I mean I was around for the In Rainbows release and was disappointed believe it or not then initially but for different reasons. That time it was because I was so used to the live 2006 versions, and hearing the studio versions some songs sounded a lot different which I didn't like.

See, this is why I didn't want to get overly excited about this and desperate, like you did, cos I'd be in your position. Also Mike, and this post is less than offensive or in an attacking way (cos it might sound like that) but you might just obsess a bit over live songs of "might-be-potential-album-songs", which in the end ruins a bit the album for you.

I have no problems with the album so far, just the fact that it doesn't feel much like Radiohead but more like Thom made them work on more Eraser-ish songs. But whatever, I'm happy with this.