✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The legacy of "Charlie Brown"

admnistramation

You know, Chris said it himself and I've had this sentiment since the get-go, but I think that if anything will have a long-standing legacy looking back on their career as a band once it's all over, they'll have Charlie Brown as one of their main songs, maybe we've seen two or three others in their previous work (Viva La Vida, Yellow, Clocks maybe) that might be at that level. If they made a greatest hits album at the end of their careers, Charlie Brown would be one of the most important tracks. I mean I like the other material off of this "MX" or whatever it seems, but this song seems like their most important.

Yes? No? Maybe so?

I said something along these lines in another thread and I agree that it has the potential to be up there with Yellow, Clocks, Fix You and Viva la Vida as one of the major hits and an ongoing live favorite.

I happen to enjoy it very much at this point but it will be the studio version that clinches it for me. Some of the production choices on Major Minus and ETIAW have me a little worried although for the most part I like those songs as well.

I said something along these lines in another thread and I agree that it has the potential to be up there with Yellow, Clocks, Fix You and Viva la Vida as one of the major hits and an ongoing live favorite.

I also mentioned something like this quite a while back :P I think it will be played at live shows in the future as often as Viva and Yellow and such, but I don't know if it will be up there with the truly huge songs yet. It's a great song, but maybe not as much of a giant as Clocks, Viva, Yellow, etc. Only time will tell, I suppose.

. . . Assuming that it makes the album cut at all :shrug:

I dont really think that it will get famous as Viva La Vida or Clocks dont know why >_<

Dont get me wrong.. i love the Song, the Rythm and aswell as the Melody but something tells me it wont be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It sort of reminds me of In My Place, with the riff that sort of makes the song. I don't think it will be a hit single on the charts but still a song that will be remembered maybe mostly by the real coldplay fans. Probably it wont be a single either, if we should believe the latest news.

And also, just as you know it; they haven't released their best one for the album yet. Sure, the new songs are simply great, but will mostly be appreciated by the coldplay lovers and not bring a lot of other listeners. On every album they have released at least one song that clearly has been standing out (Parachutes: Yellow, A Rush Of Blood To The Head: The Scientist and Clocks, X & Y: Fix You, Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends: Viva La Vida).

We know (don't we?) that Charlie Brown, Us Against The World, Princess Of China, Up In Flames, Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall, Major Minus and Paradise will be released on the album. Paradise was chosen as a single late on competing with Charlie Brown, so it will sure be good, but not Viva La Vida-good. Despite the Billboard interview, I think Hurt Like Heaven will be on the record. That leaves us with 8 songs, which means we still have 2 more to go. We haven't heard much about the SONG Mylo Xyloto, but I have no doubt on this one either. The tenth one could be Up With The Birds, U.F.O. or another song registered (or not registered) in the ASCAP database (check out wikicoldplay.com).

Just wait and see, guys. We're still waiting for the big hit that once again will bring coldplay to a next level.

I'm not trying to argue with you at all, in fact charlie brown is already one of my favorite songs, but what do you think makes charlie brown so memorable, the chords, the lyrics, the melody, Johnny's guitar? Just curious..

The melody of the verses is good, but the riff is just amazing and catchy. One of theire best, and we are talking about riffs like Clocks, In My Place and Speed Of Sound

• 4 weeks later...
I'm not trying to argue with you at all, in fact charlie brown is already one of my favorite songs, but what do you think makes charlie brown so memorable, the chords, the lyrics, the melody, Johnny's guitar? Just curious..

The guitar line. The chords pop up in the "love over this" part of Politik, the chorus of Lovers In Japan, the verse of The Hardest Part and the whole of Lost.

Guest howyousawtheworld

If released as a single then it's probably got it all to be their best single ever. It's got that modesty and earnestness about it which made this band so likeable to many people the world over.

Oh and Jonny performs what is probably his most instant, memorable and catchy guitar hook ever.