✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Question for coldplay fans?

LoryABjerre

Umm . . . No? The jogger would be moving at the same speed as the soundwaves around him, so they would never reach his ears. The same thing happens if you hold a mirror in front of your face while moving at the speed of light.

How is this related to Coldplay? :P

interesting answer , I can give your response to them on their site ?

Umm . . . No? The jogger would be moving at the same speed as the soundwaves around him, so they would never reach his ears. The same thing happens if you hold a mirror in front of your face while moving at the speed of light.

How is this related to Coldplay? :P

imsureplz.png?1 Makes sense..

^ Thalia, that smilie made me crack up :lol:

Sure, go right ahead :)

But if you win a million dollars for answering the question right, I want half! :laugh4:

your response is same, no time to listen speed of sound :thinking:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Kcg_8gK30]YouTube - ‪Coldplay - God Put A Smile Upon Your Face‬‏[/ame]

what if the person was jogging down the aisle of concorde travelling at mach II? Strictly speaking, he or she is running at twice the speed of sound, plus the speed of the jog.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow what an old thread but I haven't seen the right answer. The answer is simply yes.

For whoever wants to read this, I'll try to explain:

The man is moving at a constant speed and so is his walkman, at the same speed (of course this is merely theoretical since nobody can run so fast). So he can hear the music. The sound waves are travelling along, so they can keep up with him. This is only the case if he's using headphones or earplugs, of course. Sound waves from a stationary radio/music player would not be able to keep up.

Einstein once deduced that all experiments on a plane moving at a constant speed (doesn't matter how fast, as long as it's a constant speed) yield the exact same results (if the observer is in the plane) as when the same experiments are done down on Earth, while not moving (if the observer is also not moving). This is actually the basis of his relativity theory. :nod:

So the man and his walkman are in the same reference frame. Everything that's in the same reference frame as the man appears to be functioning normally to him. So, according to relativity, the man and his walkman appear to himself as not moving, but instead the environment is moving in the opposite direction (e.g. when you're hungry and walk towards the frigde, you appear to youself as staying at the same place while the rest of the world moves, and the fridge moves towards you).

Wow I'm taking this too far, but I'm bored anyway. I hope I'm being clear.