Dear Coldplay,

the_gloaming09

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The most disappointing thing about all of this (at least for me) is how they thought both this and ETIAW were more worthy of being album tracks than something like Moving To Mars, which showcases a heck of a lot more maturity than both of those songs combined, IMO. It's one thing wanting to have a go at cheesy pop songs (hopefully Chris got it all out of his system), but it's another thing entirely when they start to actually BELIEVE that stuff like this should displace what is simply more worthwhile music. This might be 'experimentation' for the band, but this certainly doesn't have any of the hallmarks of 'progression' or 'evolution'. Seriously, what happened to the quality control? Viva La Vida - heck even Rainy Day - are examples of pop songs done to much better effect. All Paradise showcases is a lack of inspiration and a desperate attempt to write catchy 'hooks' (like that should actually be their top priority). If they actually think this is anywhere close to being impressive in any way in comparison to their back catalogue, I'm guessing their best days are long behind them now. Every artist puts out duds, but if you can't recognise them and filter them out, that's a much bigger issue than just being capable of writing a bad tune. Even worse is the fact that Chris seems to be more confident than ever about the new music.

Basically, I'm just disappointed that their standards have slipped like this, when I KNOW they can still write good music. If this happened to be released as a b-side, I wouldn't care nearly as much. But seieng it being treated as a flagship single (alongside ETIAW) just makes me cringe. It's extremely frustrating, and I'm not looking forward to the copious amounts of airplay this will inevitably be receiving. It just kinda feels like they're selling out... I don't know. :\