✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

SERIOUS OPINIONS

Italian Plastic

I don't like it. They sound like One Republic, tbh.

I understand that bands need to evolve/change their sound as they progress, but with this song, Coldplay seem to be devolving. They used to be a band whose sound was imitated by other bands. They created their own sound. Remember this? :P [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6P-2GY-SgA]Everything Sounds Like Coldplay Now[/ame]

Now they are the ones sounding like other bands. It's like they're working so hard to sound like everything else on the radio, to be mainstream, to sound like what most people listen to.

:\

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand it as a choice for the new single, I don't think it's necessarily a 'single' but it's definitely going to grow on me.

Its extraordinary, risky and extremely different. Altought I didn't love the song on the first listen I'm fascinated by their brave.

Nevertheless, Charlie Brown would have been the better choice for a single...

I agree that Paradise is an okay, radio-friendly pop song. But you're also right. Coldplay is capable of SO MUCH better than this. Anyone who's heard their back catalog would honestly know that this (Paradise), while alright, is really nothing in comparison to what they've achieved before (Yes, even the X&Y era). With all the experimentation they've been doing, there's really so much potential to get even better.

It's like they're now applying their "successful formula of Viva La Vida" and trying to make a song purposely for crowds to singalong with all the "ooh~" and stuff.

Paradise and ETIAW strike me that they were written with the intention of making a big singalong or big hit. Even Charlie Brown. Not with the intention of making something meaningful, or letting a song develop naturally and somehow become everyone's favorite. Just trying to make a song popular for the sake of making it popular.

^Agreed, agreed and agreed. The last post beeing the best of them all.

I´m still listening to it, and its getting easier to listen to every time, but seriously, I think that what maked me post lots of unpleasant things about this song was thei obvious desire of become "the most listened band" in one of those pop lists.

For me they´re just trying to make the audience go crazy with these oooh-oooh-oooh's like we do with VLV, but I will tell something boys : THATS JUST NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. :dozey:

I like the lyrics, the piano and Guy's bassline is AMAZING. But the chorus, the uuuuhh-uh-uuh are just..... not great stuuf.

THIS SONG DO NOT DESERVE TO TAKE CHARLIE BROWN'S PLACE AS THE FIRST SINGLE. :(

I find my opinions to be mixed for this one. I think that it's a bold move on their part to produce a more mellow (work with me here) track as it's single. If you compare it to viva la vida, well, viva was unbelievably big and probably kept them in the top 10 for months on end (almost 3/4 of a year if i recall..)

Paradise is unique in that there are many instances of boosted tonal quality that just raise you up, almost matching the cadences of the string section. It's also unique to my ear beyond the energy, in that some really odd chords and progressions are being played. I think it's great that they're making another track similar (in some ways, to me) to the scientist. I personally see some overlaps.

The song is growing on me. I think some of the lyrics are weak, but i can see it fitting into mylo xyloto as a very nice "mild" track compared to the magnitude of HLH/CB, with element of a quiet and maybe stripped UATW/DLIBYH. Scale of 1-10 i'd give it a 6.5-7...though it's been playing on repeat in my head this entire post...and the entirety of my university work tonight.. And we go.. :smash:

ps charlie brown or HLH would've probably bought them more airtime. we shall see. I think one of those is coming out as a single in due time.

I understand that bands need to evolve/change their sound as they progress, but with this song, Coldplay seem to be devolving. They used to be a band whose sound was imitated by other bands. They created their own sound. Remember this? :P

Now they are the ones sounding like other bands. It's like they're working so hard to sound like everything else on the radio, to be mainstream, to sound like what most people listen to.

THIS.

i just downloaded it via itunes at yeah it really isnt Coldplay like it used to be,it sounds indeed to easy for them.it's just simple pop.

WTF are they doing?

even ETIAW sounds better. where they like "you know what it can be even worse then ETIAW hear this"

Fix You is a deep song?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Alas, someone who shares my opinion on that... thing!

I heard 'every tear a waterfall' and I wanted to die. I had a feeling recycling lyrics would happen, but it's really terrible that yet again, it's there. STOP THIS SHIT. COME UP WITH A DIFFERENT LYRIC. Auuuugh.

IN THE NIGHT THE STORMY NIGHT AWAY SHE FLIED

:laugh3:

Haha I heard that too the first time I listened to it, but if you put on headphones it sounds more like (a very muddled) "away she'd fly."

Anyway, serious opinion: it should not be the next single. But to everyone complaining that it's got weak lyrics, remember that it's not technically supposed to be a standalone track. With this being a concept album and all, this is like getting chapter three of a book with virtually no context of how it fits into the larger story (which, again, is why it shouldn't be a single, at least not before the album's release). I'm not saying it's necessarily their best song ever, but give them the benefit of the doubt and see how it plays with the rest of the album before tearing it apart (see what I did there?).

And for the record, I really do like it.

I understand that bands need to evolve/change their sound as they progress, but with this song, Coldplay seem to be devolving. They used to be a band whose sound was imitated by other bands. They created their own sound. Remember this? :P

aw shit son, ye be rite

Okay. I just want to start this off by saying that I love Coldplay. I discovered them at the age of just twelve when "Yellow" was on the radio. Since then, I've basically followed their every move. I owe them everything from my awkward teenage years to my success thus far in college. They've maintained their position as a huge part of my life for quite a while.

That being said, when I hear this song I feel a lot of mixed emotions. Instrumentally, the song is very well-thought out (almost too much so), from the grandiose soaring strings, to the hip-hop pounding of Will's drum set to the faint tinkling of the piano keys in the outro. I love the epic feel to the song and it even gave me chills at some points. So the sound of the song, in my opinion, is great.

So we get the analyzing the lyrical content. This is some of the weakest poetic work coming from Chris, and I'm disappointed. When I reflect on songs I've laid on my bed to with my oversized headphones from A Rush of Blood to the Head with deep, relatable lyrics (Politik, Shiver, Clocks, etc), I'm a little heartbroken when I hear this. It's lazy lyricism. Plain and simple. It's kind of like hanging around in the shallow end of the pool...Just....LAME.

I know I should take these songs and interpret them without comparing them, but it's really hard when Coldplay (the OLD Coldplay) has cemented so much of itself into me, and made me who I am today.

Oh yeah...and when he said "Every tear a waterfall," I wanted to vomit. Please don't let that be this album's "my feet won't touch the ground."

In short, it's not great, it's good. But I've grown to expect so much more from them.

This is EXACTLY how I feel.

I completely understand that bands are always going to be influenced by other bands--I'm not trying to say that's a bad thing. But it seems to me that Coldplay, at least with this song, is missing out on the part where they're supposed to put their own spin on it and inject some of their flavor into it too. All I hear now is One Republic and generic 90s R&B. I don't really believe they, at least the four members, are trying to be bigger and more popular as a forefront goal, but it sure sounds like they care more about charts and radio plays and album sales right now than they do about making solid songs like they used to.

That sounds so harsh and like I'm ready to give up on them when I don't think I am yet, but really, I'm just disappointed in this song and the general direction they *seem* to be moving in. I like all of the other songs we've heard so far in their live manifestations, quite a lot for some of them (and I actually do really like ETIAW as a song, but not so much as a Coldplay song), but I feel like they're all tinged with this "WE MUST GET MORE POPULAR" vibe, besides UATW, which seems like a bone thrown to the "oldie" fans that's basically a rewritten Til Kingdom Come/Now My Feet Won't Touch The Ground.