✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

SERIOUS OPINIONS

Italian Plastic

Ugh... I'm so mad right now! Everyone is hating on the band! It's disgusting! Yeah the band is changing direction, so what?! They are trying to deliver fresh, new stuff and you guys are hating on them for it, at first when ETIAW came out, everyone was hating and I thought: meh I love it, maybe the next one people will like! And when Paradise came out today I loved it do much! I really couldn't believe people were hating on it! :O Seriously! Let them be, and what i hate the most is the people who are pissed because Rhianna is gonna be on PoC... Like the Oracle said, if they stopped playing it live it's because the were not satisfied without Rhianna in it... Why dont you trust the boys instead of hating before the song is even out?! You haven't even heard the song and you're hating on it! Honestly I don't like Rhianna but i won't go hating on the song, I'll wait 'till it's out and I build my own opinion! Trust the boys... and anyways when the album is out and like a year from now you're all gonna say it's the best album Coldplay ever released, you're just hating now because it's different... I can't wait to come back in a year and see everyone loving the album.... that's how it always works... I remember everyone hating on VLV and on AROBTTH, now you say they are their best albums... it's gonna be the same with MX...

Trust the boys guys, and the new songs aren't that bad! I think they are amazing! I hated anything that was like this before, all i listened to was Aerosmith, Beatles and Coldplay, and the guys made me love this new, more fresh style, something I would have never loved before! I absolutely adore this new direction but anyways it's just my opinion... I won't change what the people think, but just stop hating at least, this is the boys most recent masterpiece, 3 years.... they could have given us nothing! Be grateful!

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disclaimer: I posted this in the "have they lost their minds" thread but I feel it is more fitting here.

It's interesting to see how everyone is receiving this song. There are a lot of opinions floating around and things being said about Coldplay. Oddly, I feel like I need to defend them on this forum, which I don't think I've ever felt before.

Let me start off by saying, that I actually really like Paradise. I'm not saying it's their best song ever, but I give it a solid 8/10 based off of my enjoyment. Also, because the sounds is new, I expect it will grow on me and lead me to like it even more in the future.

I just want to say that I do not understand the comments about this song being pop, and not a typical Coldplay song. Although the sound is new, at the very core of it, it has Coldplay qualities. From the "ohhh's", to the falsetto, to the melodic vocals, to Jonny's guitar riff. I think they have found a very interesting way to present their sound. I don't think it sounds like anything else I have heard, from Coldplay, or any other band. It is heavy, yet beautiful. That slow driving drum beat and blistering bass make for a very intense listen that makes me want to bob my head. When they play this song live, I think it is going to blow me away. The sound is immense and I really think it's going to make an impact in the setlist.

This is NOT pop. It is very clearly alternative rock. It is more of a rock song than most of their material. I like that they are reinventing themselves. I don;t want to hear the same stuff over and over again. I'm not saying I like every song they put out, but I am a huge fan of each and every album and it is very clear they have been evolving. For those that think they are selling out and settling for mediocrity, I beg to differ. This band has the hardest work ethic out of any musicians I know. They are trying to bring their fans something that hasn't been done before. They slave over each and every album until they are happy with it. When it comes down to it, Mylo Xyloto is the album they wanted to put out, and frankly, it deserves a complete listen before any serious judgement is passed on it. For those already hoping this is "a phase" they will grow out of, be more patient and wait for the album. Coldplay have never dissapointed me, and I'm sure MX will blow me away.

As for the Rihanna song, just keep in mind this is going to be Rihanna singing on a Coldplay song, not vice versa. I think it could have potential to be great, even if I am slightly skeptical about it.

I really don't think they are intentionally changing their sound to appeal to a wider audience. They are making the music that they want to make, and whoever listens, listens. It just so happens that they happen to be putting out great music, and more and more people choose to listen.

Ugh... I'm so mad right now! Everyone is hating on the band! It's disgusting! Yeah the band is changing direction, so what?! They are trying to deliver fresh, new stuff and you guys are hating on them for it...

I don't think anyone genuinely hates that Coldplay is changing direction (except for the minority stuck in the Parachutes + AROBTTH days). Listen, I welcome change. It's always good for a band to progress and try to improve.

But take off the blinders for a second. Can you honestly say songs like Paradise and ETIAW is a logical musical progression for the band? If the name Coldplay wasn't attached to these songs, would you honestly download them and listen to it over and over? The fact of the matter is that it sounds similar to other Top-40 singles from pop bands like OneRepublic - there's no substance to speak of.

And even if you do think the song sounds good, how do you explain the subpar lyrics? Surely even the most devout Coldplay fan must acknowledge that the recent output doesn't have strong lyrics... (Exhibit A: Para-para-paradise)

I'm not a long time Coldplay fan like a lot of people here, and I'm still a teenager so that might be part of it too. I discovered Coldplay my freshman year when it came out and it was at that point that I was just getting into music in general. I started listening to more and more of it along with other bands, and after a few month's obsession with Muse, I was a massive Coldplay fan in anticipation of MX. I still am. I love their old stuff starting with the Safety EP. Little known songs like See You Soon, I Ran Away, Gravity, and Help is Round the Corner, and ones from their LPs like Warning Sign, We Never Change, Parachutes, Spies, Sparks...I could go on and one...they're all amazing. The Viva era songs were amazing as well but in a different way, but they were still beautiful. Death and All His Friends is one of the most emotional songs they have. Prospekt's March is just as acoustic and musing as the Sparks, but it's not the same song which is the genius of these guys. Christmas Lights was also beautiful and totally underrated. I was slightly dissapointed with Every Teardrop is a Waterfall, the chords seemed to simplistic and the melody sounded like it was struggling to follow them. But after listening to it first thing on a few Monday mornings, I got the point, the optimism they were trying to get across, and although I certainly don't listen to it as much as some other songs of theirs, I like it.

Paradise is a great song, and most definitely a Coldplay song behind the synths. I think it was brilliantly done. The bass and beat make me want to turn it up louder and louder, and the builds with the strings are genius. And the resolutions with the suspended 4ths (any musicians out there will know what I mean) make the builds that much better. The lyrics are mediocre but I've honestly never expected much from Coldplay lyrics. It's the music that makes this band, and although this is nothing like their old stuff that I know and love dearly, this is still great music and I can't wait to listen to the rest of Mylo Xyloto.

I need to give it a few more listens (have to wait til after work...) before completely deciding, but I do like how bright it sounds. Coldplay seemed to have taken the direction of making VIVID and COLOURFUL songs when working with Eno and Dravs, and I like it, but when you take the tonal/colour approach you sometimes don't hit the target structure-wise. I'm not the biggest fan of Strawberry Swing as a song but the sound and tonal colours that it uses are amazing, and Paradise seems to be a different take on a similar idea.

There's a nice dynamic range to the song, lovely sharp strings, some nice piano flourishes along with the chords which are poppy but with some little extra bits in there, and most of the lyrics aren't that bad. It's clearly a pop song, but a Coldplay pop song nonetheless. They could've done something with the drums, gone for a more organic sound, but that's their choice not ours. Jonny could've been used better as well, but again, he's in the studio making the song along with all the other guys, so it was his choice.

Give it time and let's also see how it sits alongside Hurts Like Heaven and Charlie Brown on the album, two songs that are more rock-oriented. It might be better as a bridge between those two...

Its a pop song, so if you like when coldplay do pop, then it' s all right.

If Coldplay decides to go in the pop direction with MX I'd be disappointed at first but accept it as part of their desire for change. As so many people have already said, you can't expect nor should you want the band to make Parachutes v2 or AROBTTH v2.

However, Paradise isn't even a good "pop song"... Unquestionably great pop songs are Beyonce's "Crazy in Love," Rihanna's "Umbrella," Britney Spears' "Toxic," or Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance." Even if you don't normally listen to pop (I certainly don't), you have to concede that these songs are truly great in their genre.

What about Paradise you ask? It's incredibly flat, repetitive and commits the worst crime for a "pop" song: it's incredibly boring. Add in the uninspiring lyrics and the overproduction, you end up with a mediocre song (I do think ETIAW makes a decent pop song if that's what they were going for)

I love the lyrics "oooh oh oh oh ooh, I know the sun is set to rise"!!! It gives me hope :)

Exactly : Paradise = Hopeful + Positive :)

I'm SURE we will all be surprised in a good way when MX will be released... (and more than expected !)

So wait & see. Just keep confidence in Coldplay ;) They know what they're doing !

Paradise-gate

It's been a very interesting 24 hours to be a Coldplayer. I read all the opinions on the evolution of Coldplay's sound, and there were some wise words written. But there were also some very alarmist and OTT ones. After this Paradise-gate has calmed down, I'm sure we'll all love MX.

Chris Martin has not 'sold out' or forgotten how to write a great song. If you're panicking, go and listen to Christmas Lights, Hurts Like Heaven and Us Against the World. Paradise is ONE SONG. Relax, everything's not lost.

I understand people that hate it, people that want old Coldplay back.. I'm sorry that everyone has to feel that way (Ok, not everyone...but almost) cause I really like it. Ok the lyrics aren't coldplay's best but the music is really good. Hope MX will be kind of a mix between more old sounding coldplay (UATW) and new Coldplay (ETIAW, P) We'll just have to wait..

I'm not a long time Coldplay fan like a lot of people here, and I'm still a teenager so that might be part of it too. I discovered Coldplay my freshman year when it came out and it was at that point that I was just getting into music in general. I started listening to more and more of it along with other bands, and after a few month's obsession with Muse, I was a massive Coldplay fan in anticipation of MX. I still am. I love their old stuff starting with the Safety EP. Little known songs like See You Soon, I Ran Away, Gravity, and Help is Round the Corner, and ones from their LPs like Warning Sign, We Never Change, Parachutes, Spies, Sparks...I could go on and one...they're all amazing. The Viva era songs were amazing as well but in a different way, but they were still beautiful. Death and All His Friends is one of the most emotional songs they have. Prospekt's March is just as acoustic and musing as the Sparks, but it's not the same song which is the genius of these guys. Christmas Lights was also beautiful and totally underrated. I was slightly dissapointed with Every Teardrop is a Waterfall, the chords seemed to simplistic and the melody sounded like it was struggling to follow them. But after listening to it first thing on a few Monday mornings, I got the point, the optimism they were trying to get across, and although I certainly don't listen to it as much as some other songs of theirs, I like it.

Paradise is a great song, and most definitely a Coldplay song behind the synths. I think it was brilliantly done. The bass and beat make me want to turn it up louder and louder, and the builds with the strings are genius. And the resolutions with the suspended 4ths (any musicians out there will know what I mean) make the builds that much better. The lyrics are mediocre but I've honestly never expected much from Coldplay lyrics. It's the music that makes this band, and although this is nothing like their old stuff that I know and love dearly, this is still great music and I can't wait to listen to the rest of Mylo Xyloto.

I couldn't have said it better myself...I'm also a teenager and I love all those songs you namned, especially gravity and sparks. I started to listen to coldplay right before viva la vida came out and I love all records differentley. I think MX is going to be awsome and I think that people shouldn't hate MX allready. I think the album will be great as one piece especially.

I really loveeeeeed Paradise, I can't stop listen it! Paradise makes me travel for other dimension, for me it's a masterpiece!!

Other thing... I'm not interested if the song is too pop or not, we need to forget that, it's very unnecessary! The song is perfect and that's what matters!

I'm veeeery ansious for MX... Major Minus, Charlie Brown and Paradise, omg!:dazzled:

I think MX is going to be awsome and I think that people shouldn't hate MX allready. I think the album will be great as one piece especially.

No one is actually saying they hate MX...that word is used so often that it has now lost its meaning. People have just been expressing their disappointment with the recent singles, something every fan has the right to do. Unfortunately, other posters have interpreted even the tiniest bit of criticism as "hate" for the band.

Listen, if people genuinely "hate" the band and MX, they would not spend time on the forum, writing long + detailed opinions about the songs. It's because people actually care and are genuinely worried that the trend in ETIAW + Paradise will carry out the album. I repeat: this is not "hate"

To show to you, the fellow posters, my bias...

I listened to the song 16 times yesterday.

There was a feeling I had while listening to the song: wow! Words cannot express how much I love this song! "Paradise" reminds me of "42," "Clocks," "Viva la Vida," and "The Hardest Part." I'm a bit surprised none of the YouTube comments and the critics/fans don't point this out. In my humble opinion, you can clearly hear elements of those 4 songs.

The last time Coldplay had me in total euphoria was the first time I heard "Violet Hill." I don't understand the disdain for the song, especially among the fans of Coldplay. We all have our right to an opinion. Some opinions are hilarious; some opinions make you sit back and ponder. Music is supposed to stir the emotions and allow the mind and heart to be captivated. "Paradise" succeeded at this mission.

At the end of the day, music is music. Good music stands the test of time. "Paradise" has the feel and sound to do so.