✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

SERIOUS OPINIONS

Italian Plastic

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen it 2 times just now. Wow. What a disappointment. Expectations about MX are going down and down.

I beg the next album would be a small acoustic piece of beauty w/o Eno.

The only great song so far from this era even can't make a cut. Jeez.

This bit in the Billboard magazine interview with Chris stood out to me:

What pressures do you face as a band going in to make a new record, commercially or artistically?

The honest answer is I want anyone who spends money on us to be really pleased with their purchase. If you want to speak purely how I really feel about it, it's we don't make it for us, we don't make it to sell millions, we don't make it to answer critics or anything. We make it so that if you're in a store and you buy our record, or a ticket, like a good sandwich, you go, 'that's good!' That's all it is. And I look to my heroes on both record and live and I think that the people I like the most are the people that are really working for their audience, Bruce being the number one example. I don't really like the whole 'we're just doing this and if you like it, great.' I don't subscribe to that.

Something about what Chris says here just bugs me. First he says they're not doing this to sell millions, but then he utters that final line, which makes it seem like he's more focused on giving the audience 'value for money'... Which is all fine and well if most people in the world actually listen to good stuff. However, what we hear on the radio, the music that the general masses actually listen to, are mostly just superficial trite. So if he's focusing on pleasing the average listener, then I assume the band would definitely go in that Top 40's direction and adopt a more mainstream 'pop' sound.

I don't know. Correct me if I'm wrong. I just feel like the band (or maybe it's just Chris?) are being more business-minded about this, and it's not really about being as artistically creative as they could actually be.

I wish they would just make the music they actually like rather than go out of their way to cater to mass appeal.

Obviously not everyone's going to like it but I don't understand comments that say it doesn't sound like Coldplay. It's such a typical Coldplay song but just presented in a different way (damn you Eno!)

Paradise most reminds me of the end beat of Swallowed in the Sea (listen from 2.12) and Fun (recorded by Natalie Imbruglia).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4egrp2Q_zI]FUN Natalie Imbruglia - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0VsvuvKT20]Coldplay--"Swallowed In The Sea" - YouTube[/ame]

It's not AROBTTH but I still love it though and I'll be singing it all today:)

Okay, finally listened to it... Let me just say that the song is way different then I imagined. I like it but don't love it. The beginning is amazing, the lyrics could of been a lot better, and Chris repeating the same words over and over again.. ARG. There are parts I love in the song and parts I don't like.

When Viva la Vida was released, everyone pre-VLV hated it, yet it became a very popular album

When ETIAW was released, everybody hated it, yet it became a very popular song

Now Paradise is released, everybody hates it, yet....

hahahahah lmao, just listened to the radio debut and even the hosts are making fun of the song!!!!

:laugh3:

I could hear the awkward silece after the song ended :uhoh: And then they were looking for words to describe it, but I could tell that they were thinking "What the actual fuck is this?":inquisitive:

And in the end someone said "But I like Coldplay" (or something among those lines) as if he was saying that to himself, like a mantra, and that has been my thoughts exactly since the first time I heard the song.

Okay. I just want to start this off by saying that I love Coldplay. I discovered them at the age of just twelve when "Yellow" was on the radio. Since then, I've basically followed their every move. I owe them everything from my awkward teenage years to my success thus far in college. They've maintained their position as a huge part of my life for quite a while.

That being said, when I hear this song I feel a lot of mixed emotions. Instrumentally, the song is very well-thought out (almost too much so), from the grandiose soaring strings, to the hip-hop pounding of Will's drum set to the faint tinkling of the piano keys in the outro. I love the epic feel to the song and it even gave me chills at some points. So the sound of the song, in my opinion, is great.

So we get the analyzing the lyrical content. This is some of the weakest poetic work coming from Chris, and I'm disappointed. When I reflect on songs I've laid on my bed to with my oversized headphones from A Rush of Blood to the Head with deep, relatable lyrics (Politik, Shiver, Clocks, etc), I'm a little heartbroken when I hear this. It's lazy lyricism. Plain and simple. It's kind of like hanging around in the shallow end of the pool...Just....LAME.

I know I should take these songs and interpret them without comparing them, but it's really hard when Coldplay (the OLD Coldplay) has cemented so much of itself into me, and made me who I am today.

Oh yeah...and when he said "Every tear a waterfall," I wanted to vomit. Please don't let that be this album's "my feet won't touch the ground."

In short, it's not great, it's good. But I've grown to expect so much more from them.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. And I agree with you on every word. I used to listen to Coldplay and always found something to relate to. It was not only really beautiful music, it was meaningful lyrics. And so it was from Parachutes to Viva la Vida. And now we got this. :cry::cry::cry:

WHY, Chris, why do you think that I will relate to this lyrics? Is this poetry, is this art? It's so cheesy... I don't know. Ooooooh- s and a repeating sentence of five words, about a girl expecting the world. Yeah.. metaphors? None.

I'm really disappointed, because I know that the boys put a lot of work in this album, and I waited for it for 3 years.

And it's not I'm not accepting the new direction. I didn't dismiss ETiAW, because I thought it was a one-off thing, and I could forgive one cheesy single. But this, representing the whole album? I don't know what to say.

I don't know where would they go with this whole new direction. Clearly they don't get support from most of their old fans. With Viva it was about new things they were trying, with this album it's about really cheesy, plain lyrics and primitive music. I can't belive I'm saying that, because I do love this band, but they need to be told off. Never forget who you are and where do you come from. Coldplay, you are a rock band and you come from britpop.

And yeah, Chris, go on hanging out with pop stars spotting your earrings or whatever. It clearly adds to your ability to write great lyrics.

I... I'm gutted. The Coldplay I know and love are nowhere to be heard on this track. There's a nice bit after the first verse with the piano but that's the only thing I like about the song. The lyrics are a bit generic and it's so damn overproduced.

Why, why, why would you put in 'Every tear's a waterfall' in there? Why?

It just feels like instead of them making wonderful, heartfelt music that I can relate to they've ended up adding to the massive amount of forgettable, mainstream, radio music that doesn't pull on my heartstrings at all.

It's with trepidation that I await the album now.