✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

SERIOUS OPINIONS

Italian Plastic

I have been a Coldplay fan for a long time (The Scientist is still my favourite song ever). So when I saw the negativity surrounding Paradise earlier today, I got rather nervous, thinking it may, for once, be a disappointing single. But, then again, this is what everyone said about ETIAW, and guess what? I loved ETIAW. And, again, guess what? I love Paradise.

It's a very catchy song, and the "oohh oohh's" remind me a lot of Viva la Vida and Princess of China (which I will try to love, even with Rihanna). However, like ETIAW, the lyrics aren't that strong. They are, however, not unbearable.

I still listen to ETIAW now, and I'm sure I'll still be listening to Paradise when Christmas rolls along :)

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said earlier that I would like a stripped version better, and this makes me know I would

If the actual song was like this, It would be wonderful..

wow, that is beautiful. I wish I could learn a song as quick, the song only came out today!

Chris could actually play it and sing it live.. just him, piano and his voice..

My honest opinion when I first heard the song was...WTF. I wasn't angry so much as deeply disappointed. Even though I ALWAYS will believe they are making the music they wanted to make, I felt like that they want to make music that is like the rest of the crap on the radio. It sounded like it could be a Hip-Hop/Pop song. Honestly, sounded like a song Ms. Rihanna would be singing. I was extremely disenchanted and I went to bed as such.

Then I played the song this morning and I realized I had overreacted the previous night, most likely because I would say this song exists so far out of the realm of material they've done before. I can't imagine what the people who hate the whole post X&Y phase are thinking, because they must want to kill themselves. For me, I loved Viva's evolution. I thought ETIAW was also a positive step forward. It doesn't rank up with their classics for me (which includes Viva songs), but it was a good upbeat song. At first, as I've said, Paradise seemed like something out of left field. All along I'd considered Coldplay's evolution akin to going up a ladder. Each was clearly a step connected to the previous one.

Paradise seemed like they jumped eight steps forward. Something completely different. I still think it's incredibly different, it's just I've come to be able to appreciate it for what it is. I feel like the production is extremely slick (in a mostly positive way) and I think the beat involved is pretty hypnotic. Honestly, I think the loops Chris and co have been coming with have been exceptional this album. It's not that I necessarily love only loops, but it's clear in HLH and Charlie Brown and ETIAW that Chris has been doing work in that department.

I honestly feel like the production values on this song are actually pretty classic-worthy. Some of Chris's lyrics kind of trample on that, but for the most part I feel like his voice is used a suitable accompaniment to the rest of the song. The la-la-la-la-la part sounded like something Rihanna would sing (omg I'm still coming to terms with her).

In some semblance of a conclusion, I think Paradise is a perfectly suitable piece of the full album I hope Mylo Xyloto will be. In the same way that a song like Lost! or Lovers in Japan would crush me if every other song on an album sounded the same, I would not be happy if Paradise represented MX. I don't want to hear an album of Paradise-like songs, but with the output we've already heard, I really don't think we will. In which case, I know I will enjoy everytime HLH transitions to Paradise, because in the spectrum of an album it will be something different.

For me, I want a full album listening experience. That isn't always easy when all the songs sort of bleed together, which I feel happened with Parachutes (which ranks third for me for Coldplay albums) and X&Y. There's a boredom to listening to an album like that. I think MX is shaping up to an album that touches all my musical senses. If Coldplay can accomplish that, I really do think it could be a masterpiece.

Comeback home and gave a couple of another runs. Noticed how it loud, probably created and mixed for radio and broadcasting in mind. Expectations for MX in a garbage can. I hope for two or three kind of MTM tracks, would be enough to buy tickets for gig.

I agree with you completely. I can't understand someone likes this more than VLV unless they are reaaaally into commercial stuff a lot. I think VLV is their best album too, maybe not my favorite as it is A Rush but VLV is very close. It shows some balls really and a lot of hard work.

I'm glad you agree! To me, VLV was progress. They went in an entirely different direction, but it was a brilliant direction IMO. So I'm clearly not against Coldplay trying out a different sound (let's be honest, some people here are), I just don't feel that the direction they're going in now is all that great. Of course the album hasn't come out yet, so I can only judge the songs we've heard so far. I guess I just expected this era to be way different. Not sure what I was expecting, but I guess it wasn't this. :(

My honest opinion when I first heard the song was...WTF. I wasn't angry so much as deeply disappointed. Even though I ALWAYS will believe they are making the music they wanted to make, I felt like that they want to make music that is like the rest of the crap on the radio. It sounded like it could be a Hip-Hop/Pop song. Honestly, sounded like a song Ms. Rihanna would be singing. I was extremely disenchanted and I went to bed as such.

Then I played the song this morning and I realized I had overreacted the previous night, most likely because I would say this song exists so far out of the realm of material they've done before. I can't imagine what the people who hate the whole post X&Y phase are thinking, because they must want to kill themselves. For me, I loved Viva's evolution. I thought ETIAW was also a positive step forward. It doesn't rank up with their classics for me (which includes Viva songs), but it was a good upbeat song. At first, as I've said, Paradise seemed like something out of left field. All along I'd considered Coldplay's evolution akin to going up a ladder. Each was clearly a step connected to the previous one.

Paradise seemed like they jumped eight steps forward. Something completely different. I still think it's incredibly different, it's just I've come to be able to appreciate it for what it is. I feel like the production is extremely slick (in a mostly positive way) and I think the beat involved is pretty hypnotic. Honestly, I think the loops Chris and co have been coming with have been exceptional this album. It's not that I necessarily love only loops, but it's clear in HLH and Charlie Brown and ETIAW that Chris has been doing work in that department.

I honestly feel like the production values on this song are actually pretty classic-worthy. Some of Chris's lyrics kind of trample on that, but for the most part I feel like his voice is used a suitable accompaniment to the rest of the song. The la-la-la-la-la part sounded like something Rihanna would sing (omg I'm still coming to terms with her).

In some semblance of a conclusion, I think Paradise is a perfectly suitable piece of the full album I hope Mylo Xyloto will be. In the same way that a song like Lost! or Lovers in Japan would crush me if every other song on an album sounded the same, I would not be happy if Paradise represented MX. I don't want to hear an album of Paradise-like songs, but with the output we've already heard, I really don't think we will. In which case, I know I will enjoy everytime HLH transitions to Paradise, because in the spectrum of an album it will be something different.

For me, I want a full album listening experience. That isn't always easy when all the songs sort of bleed together, which I feel happened with Parachutes (which ranks third for me for Coldplay albums) and X&Y. There's a boredom to listening to an album like that. I think MX is shaping up to an album that touches all my musical senses. If Coldplay can accomplish that, I really do think it could be a masterpiece.

Couldn't agree more buddy. I'm loving the variety of songs coming up on MX - the epic AROBBTH/X&Y style 'Hurts like Heaven' and 'Charlie Brown', the radio-friendly and different Every Teardrop is a Waterfall and Paradise, and the absolute classic Coldplay in Us Against the World. People are complaining even though we know there are classic, non-poppy songs lined up for the album, not to mention the ones we haven't heard yet, which I think are bound to be less poppy and much more familiar to us Coldplay fans.

Of course Coldplay are going to release the pop songs - could you picture them releasing something Moving to Mars? While that is one fantastic song, it wouldn't suit as a single at all. And you know what, even though I dislike pop music I absolutely love Paradise and ETIAW!

Rihanna on Princess of China though?...I'll reserve judgement but it doesn't sound like something I'd like listening too.

I'm glad you agree! To me, VLV was progress. They went in an entirely different direction, but it was a brilliant direction IMO. So I'm clearly not against Coldplay trying out a different sound (let's be honest, some people here are), I just don't feel that the direction they're going in now is all that great. Of course the album hasn't come out yet, so I can only judge the songs we've heard so far. I guess I just expected this era to be way different. Not sure what I was expecting, but I guess it wasn't this. :(

very well said. VLV was progression..this is not..this feels like a rushed album thrown together to serve the label and masses..i don't mind hearing coldplay in the mainstream..heck viva la vida was one of the biggest songs they have had...but i liked the sound and direction of it...this new stuff...not so much

My serious opinion of Paradise

As a long time fan of Coldplay (since around 2005 anyways) I see this song as the best direction for the band.

This should do for Coldplay what Beautiful Day did for U2 and keep Coldplay relevant and in the line of the biggest bands in the world today.

It serves its job perfectly as a proper lead single of the album and I really like it!

I'm from a new generation of fans. the new school.

Many of you're old school, so you don't like their new hits

I think Coldplay is experimenting with new rhythms.

I really loved Paradise. not stop to hear it.

I think you ought to be more open to change.

regards

You know, when I first heard Christmas Lights I was absolutely blown away. I was convinced that if they continued to write songs as good as that then their upcoming album would be amazing beyond words. It made me feel really happy around Christmas, I had another year to look forward to and the prospect of an astonishing new Coldplay album.

But now I've heard bits of it I feel cheated. There's certainly some good moments like the guitar riff from Charlie Brown and Hurts Like Heaven as a whole but there's nothing that gives me goosebumps like A Rush of Blood to the Head and Parachutes did. There's nothing there that inspires me to do anything other than rant about how bad Coldplay have become. I even loved most of Viva. Death And All His Friends was a great ending to the album and it gave me hope that the next album would continue where it left off at the end of Viva. But I feel really disheartened with all the new stuff. It's seems like they've been working on it for an age. And what do we get at the end of it? A few pop songs that could have been written by anybody is half an hour.

I feel pretty much the same apart from Viva I didn't like so much although there were still some good songs like Violet Hill and DALHF.

Guys, I've had an epiphany here and I need to share it with you!!

ok, so I realised that the old coldplay are gone, and to stop expecting the new yellow, scientist,fix you and so on... and now that I've accepted that, I'm loving all the new songs (except rianna being on PoC... :saw: ill deal with that later...)

ok, so I realised that the old coldplay are gone, and to stop expecting the new yellow, scientist,fix you and so on... and now that I've accepted that, I'm loving all the new songs (except rianna being on PoC... :saw: ill deal with that later...)

Wow, everyone just keeps missing the point. No one's expecting the new Yellow, Fix You or whatever.

It was so disappointing to hear something from them that doesn't sound emotionally genuine - something I, for one, love them for having been in the past.

Wow, everyone just keeps missing the point. No one's expecting the new Yellow, Fix You or whatever.

It was so disappointing to hear something from them that doesn't sound emotionally genuine - something I, for one, love them for having been in the past.

I know, I've been arguing about this all day. I don't want a Yellow 2.0.

And ... :hug:

^Have you listened to Us Against the World? Have you heard lines in Charlie Brown that (while not about relationships) speak to emotion?

Did I say anything about those two songs? Thought we were talking about Paradise here.

Aaaanyway. I do love those two songs. It just makes me even more baffled that they would put those on the same album as ETIAW and Paradise. (I wish they'd put Moving to Mars on it instead).

I only meant to be saying that on an album there can be a variety of tracks with a variety of purposes. I don't disagree that Paradise and ETIAW don't resonate emotionally. They're ear candy in a lot of respects. You don't have to work too hard to enjoy them (that's the case with many Coldplay songs though), you just get a feeling from them. Which may very well be less than genuine.

I would be extremely disenchanted with the band if we only were going to get songs like Paradise and ETIAW (mentioned this in another thread as well), but because we've heard MTM, CB, and UATW, I feel like there will be balance to pure ear candy and more pure emotions. Which I'm fine with. Although I can completely understand why other people wouldn't be. So no ruffled feathers! I was glad to see you thought Charlie Brown was emotional, because I feel like there are a decent amount of Coldplay fans who only recognize emotion when its directed in a lovey-dovey way (many of those fans hated every song from Viva era, even though there were plenty of emotional ones).

So sorry about anything I said! Nothing wrong with two people wanting different things :)