✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What if Coldplay Would Make An Album Under An Idependent Label?

Batmotor

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree! But i don't think it will be 3 years until the next album this time

Parachutes - 2000

A Rush of Blood to the Head - 2002

X&Y - 2005

Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friend - 2008

Mylo Xyloto - 2011

I'd say we're looking at 3 years minimum on that track record. If anything I could see them taking a year off and LP6 being out in 2015.

Parachutes - 2000

X&Y - 2005

Mylo Xyloto - 2011

I'd say we're looking at 3 years minimum on that track record. If anything I could see them taking a year off and LP6 being out in 2015.

Yeah in 2015! And LP6 will be called "Back To The Future" :D

Parachutes - 2000

X&Y - 2005

Mylo Xyloto - 2011

A good guess. Considering they went all out on Mylo Xyloto, a longer break would be expected, even though I hope they release something sooner than later

I honestly feel sorry for most of you coldplayers. Don't get me wrong, not in the douchebag elitist sort of way. I mean I honestly feel bad that apparently none of you guys are digging Coldplay's new material. It makes me sad to think that a lot of you feel betrayed right now, that really sucks and you deserve better.

That said, I can honestly say I've loved the crap out of everything they've released so far! But maybe it's time for some of you to give up on the idea of Coldplay "returning to roots" and just accept that they've changed. Change is part of life and part of a band's growth. Sometimes it's more drastic, other times more subtle. But honestly, with the progression from album to album that we've had so far, I'm not as surprised as some of you about where this album is going. I just hope you can either learn to appreciate it or move on to a different band that is more to your liking. I am genuinely sorry :/.

We are all just speculating but Chris is genuinely appreciative of pop artists like Jay-Z, so I don´t find their new direction shocking. I think Chris personally asked Rhianna, if I remember I read it on an article. They also explained why they changed from acoustic to MX-style in their interview, but I guess we can all believe what we want to believe, right? :)

Jay Z is not a pop artist. He's a rapper. Period.

Rihanna has no talent. There are so many other worthy, talented ladies he could have collaborated with.

Look, from what I can see, the LEAST BEST Coldplay albums all have odd numbers.

Parachutes

X&Y

Mylo Xyloto, maybe, but I think I'll like it.

Albums two and four? AROBTTH and VLVODAAHF. Like they're almost taking a break between absolute classic 5/5 albums. And I say... let them. X&Y may not be AS GOOD as the other albums, for example, but it's certainly not bad. It has flaws like any album does. And personally, I think that the new style will come together just fine once we hear the whole album all the way through. And also, Eno is a fantastic producer. Look at all the work he's done in the past for other bands. I wouldn't be surprised if half the best moments on this album weren't his idea or choice.

I think it would be cool if after the LP5 EMI contract is done, they start their own label. No restrictions, no deadlines, no distractions... nothing. Just them ruling their own roost. I want to know what that sounds like.

Then we would never get an album, they'd just keep perfecting and perfecting it for years. :laugh3:

I'm not sure, they could leave EMI when the Mylo Xyloto era has ended, but i don't think EMI can afford to lose Coldplay to be honest.

I think it's the way forward for Coldplay. When Radiohead's material started going downhill with Hail to the Thief (although that's still quite a good album) they left their label, did solo stuff for a while and then came back and did the best thing they've done for years with In Rainbows.

Unfortunately though Coldplay haver just signed a deal with Universal and they like money as much as EMI, so this mainstream thing isn't changing anytime soon. In my opinion they should break up for a while and come back and pull an In Rainbows moment. They should release it like In Rainbows too and come out and say 'by the way we've got a new album'. That would avoid a lot of the disappointment after this big build up that a lot of people are feeling.

Pop as in popular...Jay-z is popular :) As for Rhianna, a matter of tastes but she is not my favorite.

Just for future reference, pop artist and popular are two totally different things. Pop, when referring to music, is a specific style. So, when you want to say someone is popular, just say "popular." :)

I honestly feel sorry for most of you coldplayers. Don't get me wrong, not in the douchebag elitist sort of way. I mean I honestly feel bad that apparently none of you guys are digging Coldplay's new material. It makes me sad to think that a lot of you feel betrayed right now, that really sucks and you deserve better.

That said, I can honestly say I've loved the crap out of everything they've released so far! But maybe it's time for some of you to give up on the idea of Coldplay "returning to roots" and just accept that they've changed. Change is part of life and part of a band's growth. Sometimes it's more drastic, other times more subtle. But honestly, with the progression from album to album that we've had so far, I'm not as surprised as some of you about where this album is going. I just hope you can either learn to appreciate it or move on to a different band that is more to your liking. I am genuinely sorry :/.

This. I also feel genuinely sorry for those people who keep wishing something in the style of Parachutes and never get it. With Coldplay it´s either you embrace change or you find another band that´s more "reliable". And I also did not think this new direction was unexpected: they were heading towards it all the way and hints abounded.

With Coldplay it´s either you embrace change or you find another band that´s more "reliable".

It's not that they've changed; change is fine. It's the way in which they've changed. I would have much rather seen them change by going off the creative deep end, instead of seeing them change by going in this direction.

It's not that they've changed; change is fine. It's the way in which they've changed. I would have much rather seen them change by going off the creative deep end, instead of seeing them change by going in this direction.

Change is by definition unpredictable. They could make a jazz album in 3 years time that I might not like, but as I know Coldplay, I need to be prepared for whatever change they might go through because this is who they are. I have learnt not to get attached to a particular style or album, all the way from Parachutes.

Just for future reference, pop artist and popular are two totally different things. Pop, when referring to music, is a specific style. So, when you want to say someone is popular, just say "popular." :)

Thanks for the clarification :) I did mean popular indeed, but I can see that the wiki definition of pop music is not too far from what I think Jay-Z does, so I basically still don´t think something is necessarily of lower quality because it´s pop, popular or perceived to be mainstream

If Coldplay left EMI and signed with an independent label they would be so much better. Doing things on their own terms, more relaxed conditions and less pressure from the people above them. Maybe when they finish touring MX they might consider moving away from EMI. Coldplay need a change of guidance, attitude and management. Maybe then we'll start to see either a new Coldplay style that's just as impressive as they were at the start or we'll get the old Coldplay back but something needs to happen before they even think about making the next album.

If Coldplay left EMI and signed with an independent label they would be so much better. Doing things on their own terms, more relaxed conditions and less pressure from the people above them. Maybe when they finish touring MX they might consider moving away from EMI. Coldplay need a change of guidance, attitude and management. Maybe then we'll start to see either a new Coldplay style that's just as impressive as they were at the start or we'll get the old Coldplay back but something needs to happen before they even think about making the next album.

I respect your opinion but if taking THREE years to make an album is being under pressure....then I am not sure what being under pressure means. I think they are as free as they have ever been.