✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What if Coldplay Would Make An Album Under An Idependent Label?

Batmotor

Yes, I'm sure EMI went to Coldplay and said: Ya know, sure you sell more records than pretty much anyone else on our label, and sure Viva la Vida was great and all, but we'd really like you to sound a little more "mainstream." Cause 50 million albums isn't "mainstream" enough.

Aye, people. This is Coldplay now. Take them or leave them, but stop blaming Eno/EMI/Gwyneth.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I'm sure EMI went to Coldplay and said: Ya know, sure you sell more records than pretty much anyone else on our label, and sure Viva la Vida was great and all, but we'd really like you to sound a little more "mainstream." Cause 50 million albums isn't "mainstream" enough.

Aye, people. This is Coldplay now. Take them or leave them, but stop blaming Eno/EMI/Gwyneth.

I can´t help but agree.

If Coldplay left EMI and signed with an independent label they would be so much better. Doing things on their own terms, more relaxed conditions and less pressure from the people above them. Maybe when they finish touring MX they might consider moving away from EMI. Coldplay need a change of guidance, attitude and management. Maybe then we'll start to see either a new Coldplay style that's just as impressive as they were at the start or we'll get the old Coldplay back but something needs to happen before they even think about making the next album.

agree!

I respect your opinion but if taking THREE years to make an album is being under pressure....then I am not sure what being under pressure means. I think they are as free as they have ever been.

Sorry, I should've phrased or explained it differently. I meant the way they make Coldplay publicise their music. Do you honestly think it was the bands idea to release ETIAW 3 times? That was pressure from EMI. Another thing that falls into the pressure category is how the album is due in the 3rd week of October but the limited edition version won't be available till December. EMI have pressured or convinced them into not releasing everything on the same day because now they'll be able to make even more money of the album, especially with the run in for Christmas and with fans regardless of their views on MX that'll buy that and the CD anyway.

Sorry, I should've phrased or explained it differently. I meant the way they make Coldplay publicise their music. Do you honestly think it was the bands idea to release ETIAW 3 times? That was pressure from EMI. Another thing that falls into the pressure category is how the album is due in the 3rd week of October but the limited edition version won't be available till December. EMI have pressured or convinced them into not releasing everything on the same day because now they'll be able to make even more money of the album, especially with the run in for Christmas and with fans regardless of their views on MX that'll buy that and the CD anyway.

I agree about the EP release plan smelling of money-making greed. As for the special edition though, it can´t really be targeted for Christmas shopping as it will only be available on coldplay.com so it will only be die-hard fans who order it anyway. I think it is delayed because it is made to order: I hope so anyway :) With corporate, you never know :evil:

But I do maintain they have full artistic freedom. I don´t see these guys bending to anyone when it comes to their music

I agree about the EP release plan smelling of money-making greed. As for the special edition though, it can´t really be targeted for Christmas shopping as it will only be available on coldplay.com so it will only be die-hard fans who order it anyway. I think it is delayed because it is made to order: I hope so anyway :) With corporate, you never know :evil:

But I do maintain they have full artistic freedom. I don´t see these guys bending to anyone when it comes to their music

Well once the album is out I reckon it'll be about 2-3 weeks after the album release that we'll get details of the tour and ticket release details. Once that's sold out which would be within a week most likely what else do the band have to promote except for another single? There'll be a lot of people on Facebook who like Coldplay that'll see the limited edition version on the Coldplay page and then say to their parents I want that for Christmas and parents will see it as a good buy. From what I know when it comes to asking for presents you ask for things you either wouldn't pay for yourself or from that one shop you've been meaning to go into or visit online but just never had a justifiable reason to do so. That's why I think 3 weeks before Christmas that's being released. Also this is the first time Coldplay have released a 'limited edition' album unless there's one I don't know about.

I agree about their freedom of the music they write and record because EMI probably think (using the safety words, in my opinion) that if there was anything wrong with the album Eno would 'guide them' back on track. Just out of curiosity did Coldplay ever have a mentor or something similar to what Eno has done before VLV?