✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Is the money and fame getting to Chris Martin's songwriting abilities??

para-para-parrotdies

Don't get me wrong - the last thing I would want is Politik v2 or Amsterdam v2. As much as I enjoyed AROBTTH + Parachutes, I like other fans want an evolution of Coldplay's sound. It would be boring for Coldplay to make similar sounding records over and over again.

As I've mentioned several times in this thread, I'm wondering about Chris Martin's songwriting abilities aka the lyrics. Without getting into a discussion about the music, just a quick comparison of the lyrics seem to be pointing towards a regression of sorts.

For example, take the lyrics of a song like "A Rush of Blood to the Head": (He said oh I'm going to buy a gun and start a war / If you can tell me something worth fighting for) and compare it to the lyrics of "Paradise": (Life goes on / It gets so heavy / The wheel breaks the butterfly / Every tear, a waterfall). Can you honestly say the lyrics to Paradise are better?

I never wanted to say that you said that you want Amsterdam 2.0. :)

I don't want to complain about the lyrics. They are part of a story so I can judge them after hearing the complete album. Just for record, I'm actually satisfied with the new lyrics of HLH, CB, Uatw, MM - but as I said before: its hard to consider them without seeing the whole puzzle.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha, definitely not. I agree that the lyrics from paradise weren't the most inspiring (life goes on it gets so heavy :P) though from hearing their new unreleased songs like POC, HLH and CB, they certainly still have it. you can't blame them for doing something different once in a while :)

this is just an excuse.

those lyrics can be part of a story but it doesn't change that those lyrics are horrible.

I really like the beginning with "When she was just a girl, she expected the world, but it flew away from her reach, so she ran away in her sleep and dream of paradise". This, what I like. You're right that the parts with the butterfly and the tear and the heavy life isn't that cool but nevertheless I think we have to see it as a whole story. If you ask me, the lyrics of Paradise are meeeh, the rest (except ETIAW) is very, very good.

Honestly, most of the VIva lyrics aren't that impressing for me, altought I love this album so much.

I don't want to complain about the lyrics. They are part of a story so I can judge them after hearing the complete album. Just for record, I'm actually satisfied with the new lyrics of HLH, CB, Uatw, MM - but as I said before: its hard to consider them without seeing the whole puzzle.

To some degree, I agree with your statement. If MX is indeed a concept album, then the lyrics would have to be interpreted in a different light. I'll save judgment for that until I hear the album in its entirety.

But I want to make clear that this thread isn't only directed towards MX-era songs. Simply put, Coldplay seems to have regressed lyrically since their early days. Take Viva-era songs as well - I already used Lost as an example so how about 42: "Those who are dead are not dead / They're just living in my head." Where has the inspiration gone?

parrotdies, I completely agree with what you say about Chris not being able to cope with the growing fame. He just doesn't seem to me like the kind of guy who is all into glamour and stuff. Maybe he is trying to recreate himself, and the band,who knows. PLUS , what we have to understand is that maybe he is not the same person anymore. We all change, and he just might not relate to what he used to. But I don't realize that he relates to sth so shallow as ETIAW and Paradise....

I just gotta say I disagree on the concerts, I think they should keep doing it becuase it adds to their magic and charm. Not fond of the uniforms and stuff now though - it had a point during VLV era but not now.

And I gotta say - Radiohead is the band with the biggest balls ever. And I don't even like some of the albums (though some I absolutely love, In Rainbows is a masterpiece) , but they are absolutely showing no compromise and deserve my full respect for that.

parrotdies, I completely agree with what you say about Chris not being able to cope with the growing fame. He just doesn't seem to me like the kind of guy who is all into glamour and stuff. Maybe he is trying to recreate himself, and the band,who knows. PLUS , what we have to understand is that maybe he is not the same person anymore. We all change, and he just might not relate to what he used to. But I don't realize that he relates to sth so shallow as ETIAW and Paradise....

Chris genuinely seems like a very nice guy in interviews + at concerts - it's part of his charm. I also think this is what's preventing him from progressing as a songwriter. He's too nice and wants to be liked by all. As some poster commented before, Chris's writing seems to have lost a spark since the X&Y days and I can't help but feel it's partly due to the media criticism of that album

talk about being childish... :thinking:

yes, i do indeed. The fact that you people persist with this pointless negativity against something you're supposed to love astounds me.

The whole point about Chris Martin once writing songs such as Politik and Amsterdam is self evident; the key word here children is 'ONCE', yes 'ONCE', as in 'ONCE' TEN years ago??? Chris Martin wrote those songs ten years ago.

Times change and alot of things have obviously happened to the group, it think its time you stopped ruining it for everybody else and accept it.

Full stop.

The answer is no; stop being so childishly shallow and get a life. Seriously you people are starting to look severely mentally derranged.

Lukestar1991, thank you for your post to the discussion. As I've tried to make clear time and time again, every fan should have the opportunity to voice his/her opinion, whether it's positive or negative and you certainly have this prerogative.... as long as it's in a respectful manner.

I've started this thread not to simply criticize Coldplay but to start a genuine conversation regarding Coldplay's lyrics, whether or not it's changing for the better. If trying to analyze the lyrical content of the songs we all love and enjoy makes me "childishly shallow," then please forgive me. I am, after all, "severely mentally derranged" :embarrassed:

Lukestar1991, thank you for your post to the discussion. As I've tried to make clear time and time again, every fan should have the opportunity to voice his/her opinion, whether it's positive or negative and you certainly have this prerogative.... as long as it's in a respectful manner.

I've started this thread not to simply criticize Coldplay but to start a genuine conversation regarding Coldplay's lyrics, whether or not it's changing for the better. If trying to analyze the lyrical content of the songs we all love and enjoy makes me "childishly shallow," then please forgive me. I am, after all, "severely mentally derranged" :embarrassed:

To me, it looks as though you and others are going overboard on the negativity. I said that because i do think its immature of some people to judge this music when they cant and dont yet fully understand its purpose and meaning.

To me, it looks as though you and others are going overboard on the negativity. I said that because i do think its immature of some people to judge this music when they cant and dont yet fully understand its purpose and meaning.

You're right - only the members of Coldplay can truly understand its purpose and meaning of a song. But that's actually not the point I've been making from the beginning. I haven't even been focusing on MX-era songs. What I've been looking at are the lyrics of songs post-X&Y era and how they seem to lag behind their early work. You could be the biggest fan of Coldplay's recent stuff musically but can you honestly say the lyrics are better? Do songs like Lost + 42 have better lyrics than songs like Shiver or A Rush of Blood to the Head? I think it's a fair question to ask...

Consequently, there's no substance to the new songs and this is reflected in the lyrics. "Wa-wa-wa-wa-waterfall"? "Para-para-paradise"? Really guys? My biggest fear is that Coldplay secretly knows their new songs lack substance and they try to hide it by overproducing every single track, almost as if to distract us from the fact that their new songs essentially don't mean anything. Same with their live shows: instead of just playing music and letting that speak for itself, they're pulling out all the tricks with fireworks and lights...

And note: this isn't a post saying I want Clocks v2 or Yellow v2. I welcome change - For example, I love Radiohead's new direction after OK Computer or U2's decision to release Achtung Baby after Rattle and Hum. However, this doesn't mean all change is good. Coldplay's new songs hint that they would rather be the biggest band in the world, rather than the best. Coldplay should be challenging themselves musically and further developing their sound rather than regressing by producing Top-40 songs and trying to get widespread radioplay. It's a massive waste of their talent and that's the most disappointing thing of all.

Thank you! I have been thinking the same thing. You are so right about this.

yes, i do indeed. The fact that you people persist with this pointless negativity against something you're supposed to love astounds me.

The whole point about Chris Martin once writing songs such as Politik and Amsterdam is self evident; the key word here children is 'ONCE', yes 'ONCE', as in 'ONCE' TEN years ago??? Chris Martin wrote those songs ten years ago.

Times change and alot of things have obviously happened to the group, it think its time you stopped ruining it for everybody else and accept it.

Full stop.

supposed to love? what are you,8???

Exactly! Don't you find it just a bit curious that Chris Martin was once able to write lyrics to songs like Politik + Amsterdam... but nowadays, it's almost as if he resorts to elementary rhyming schemes? Usually, songwriters get better over time but it appears to be opposite with Mr. Martin...

(Musically, I do think Coldplay evolved somewhat with Viva and I'll reserve judgment for MX once I hear it in its entirety.)

^Don't know who you are and where you came from all of a sudden (and all the other new posters with nicely worded criticism) but I like your points a lot. And your user name. :lol:

Us disappointed ppl need to vent for a while I think... I'm glad this place exists to let it all out. :heart:

Ummm, Lukestar1991: I think you mean "premature", not immature. But I digress.

Stevie Wonder can see this band has changed its sound dramatically on these two new singles. Some people are going to like it and people like myself and others are not loving what they hear SO FAR. Two chapters into the book, and I am not loving the book. I know some exciting chapters may come later, but the story sucks so far (in my opinion).

I agree with Para-Para-ParrotDies (great name by the way!) - the best thing about Coldplay, no matter how trite the lyrics may have been, was their ability to make the fan feel a certain way. The music, combined with the lyrics, evoked a past experience or feeling. These two singles don't make me feel anything. I think Coldplay has always been "poppy" in some capacity... it's just that they made cool "pop"music that challenged you and now they make radio hits that challenge no one.

"ETIAW", to my ears, was the equivalent to a Summer Blockbuster Movie: catered to appease everyone and connecting to no one. And then "Paradise" and now Rihanna? Gulp... please, God - say it ain't so. I'm crossing my fingers.

I agree with Para-Para-ParrotDies (great name by the way!) - the best thing about Coldplay, no matter how trite the lyrics may have been, was their ability to make the fan feel a certain way. The music, combined with the lyrics, evoked a past experience or feeling. These two singles don't make me feel anything. I think Coldplay has always been "poppy" in some capacity... it's just that they made cool "pop"music that challenged you and now they make radio hits that challenge no one.

Right, for some reason the recent songs have failed to convey the same sense of emotion songs from the past. Part of it is due to the musical direction and part due to the stagnation in lyrics. Where's the heart in any of these songs??

Right, for some reason the recent songs have failed to convey the same sense of emotion songs from the past. Part of it is due to the musical direction and part due to the stagnation in lyrics. Where's the heart in any of these songs??

somewhere down the road to their banks

It's a shame Chris is so blatantly uninspired, as their music appears to be more diverse and fun than ever: combining classic coldplay like Charlie Brown with super fun and amazingly well produced songs like Paradise or slower Parachutes-y tunes like UATW. Jonny is on top of his game, Will is being more inspired than ever (beats aren't as predictable and straightforward now than they used to), and Guy is killer as always. Chris, however... Doesn't he realize he's fucking shameful? Maybe his daughter writes the lyrics now, or well, maybe that's being too harsh on her daughter....

The answer is no; stop being so childishly shallow and get a life. Seriously you people are starting to look severely mentally derranged.
The post started great, I would say the same. No. I don't think fame and money got to Chris.

Then the post starts to get ugly. How is giving an elaborate opinion childish and moreover shallow? And what's up with the 'get a life' catchphrase? I've seen you use that earlier as well. Do you mean that the person should do something else than posting on a coldplay forum? And how does that post make people look severely mentally derranged?

I am not trying to ask sarcastic questions here. I mean those questions.