✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Is the money and fame getting to Chris Martin's songwriting abilities??

para-para-parrotdies

To me, it's not necessarily the lyrics per se... it's that feeling you get when you can no longer "relate" to your favorite band anymore. Personally, this "story" doesn't hit home to me - so far. Great, a love story with butterflies and little girls... sounds like a children's book or a Japanimation comic book.

Some bands can narrate a story well (Think Arcade Fire's "The Suburbs") about other people. I think Chris is trying to step out of his comfort zone, and I admire that in principal. But trying to be like his friends Jay Z and Beyonce and not like Damon Albarn is disappointing. I just have an awful feeling in my stomach that this album will not speak to me. "Amsterdam" didn't have classically great lyrics but in the right context that made you get goosebumps. Pink Floyd's lyrics on Dark Side of the Moon weren't, by any means, "great"... in fact, they were elementary ("Breathe... breathe in the air. Don't be afraid to care"). But, combined with the music, they hit you over the head.

"Clocks" is like that to me... "a tiger waiting to be tamed" - not classic, but relateable in any context and set with the incredible piano, a classic. I want classics... not "flavors of the month". Hopefully some of the others will be. I love "Charlie Brown", but really hate the title. What does Charlie Brown have to do with the story?! Again, it's too cartoony.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm, Lukestar1991: I think you mean "premature", not immature. But I digress.

Stevie Wonder can see this band has changed its sound dramatically on these two new singles. Some people are going to like it and people like myself and others are not loving what they hear SO FAR. Two chapters into the book, and I am not loving the book. I know some exciting chapters may come later, but the story sucks so far (in my opinion).

I agree with Para-Para-ParrotDies (great name by the way!) - the best thing about Coldplay, no matter how trite the lyrics may have been, was their ability to make the fan feel a certain way. The music, combined with the lyrics, evoked a past experience or feeling. These two singles don't make me feel anything. I think Coldplay has always been "poppy" in some capacity... it's just that they made cool "pop"music that challenged you and now they make radio hits that challenge no one.

"ETIAW", to my ears, was the equivalent to a Summer Blockbuster Movie: catered to appease everyone and connecting to no one. And then "Paradise" and now Rihanna? Gulp... please, God - say it ain't so. I'm crossing my fingers.

perfect perfect perfect

But trying to be like his friends Jay Z and Beyonce and not like Damon Albarn is disappointing. I just have an awful feeling in my stomach that this album will not speak to me.

If we want to listen to a song sounding like Jay-Z, we'd put on a Jay-Z record. Same thing with Beyonce, Damon Albarn and other famous musicians he's been hanging around with. No matter how hard Chris tries, he'll never create a "Blur" song better than Damon Albarn could. Or a "Beyonce" song... He should instead be focusing on expanding Coldplay's musical landscape rather than recreating a variation of his pals' songs.

I think at this point, Coldplay is changing just for the sake of change. There's no musical or lyrical inspiration - they just feel compelled to change because the last time they didn't, they were ripped by the press (remember X&Y people?).

But unlike the change during the Viva era, this "change" seems artificial and disingenuous: the lack of direction is reflected in both the "new" clothes (how...different...) and the new songs. Even their interviews can't seem to zero in on their creative inspiration/direction for the album: first they say it's going to be "more acoustic" and "more intimate" before it somehow evolved into a "White Rose Movement" inspired concept album...

Hey john. i thot paradise wasnt in the chorus and there was no piano and lots of guitar. Wierd..

I didn't hear piano in the 30 sec clip... and the section I heard I thought was the chorus wasnt the chorus. I heard the beginning part that eventually leaked and heard "Paradise"in the first verse. I had no idea it would repeated over and over again. I was wrong... but I stand by my statement. I was caught off-guard - which was my friend's intention. He wouldn't tell me ANYTHING about it except there was guitar. Enough said. Whatever... I never claimed to be an expert.

To me, it looks as though you and others are going overboard on the negativity. I said that because i do think its immature of some people to judge this music when they cant and dont yet fully understand its purpose and meaning.

So are you able to read minds and know exactly what was Chris thinking when he wrote the song?, or can you understand something that us, simple minds can't understand? You don't need lots of background info to have an opinion about a song.

yes, i do indeed. The fact that you people persist with this pointless negativity against something you're supposed to love astounds me.

Supposed to love? is Coldplay a cult or what?

Guys this happens to every good band. They experiment to keep things fresh. Some examples of a few out of character tunes from amazing bands (that still weren't bad).

http://www.youtube.com/embed/hOf0FsA0Fio

http://www.youtube.com/embed/qBI_Av00_Fo

http://www.youtube.com/embed/vXMWNhCmLUg

http://www.youtube.com/embed/a5_QV97eYqM

http://www.youtube.com/embed/TxcDTUMLQJI

I remember in the past Chris used to be really worried about releasing an album and wasn't always 100% confident in it. This time he seems to be saying that he thinks it's really good. This time he's saying, I quote: "Anyone who buys the album will really like it."

This worries me because I think in the past his lack of confidence was partly responsible for his sincere, honest lyrics and his honest music that doesn't try too hard and go over the top. With this album I think they've tinkered with things so much that they firmly believe that there's nothing more they could have done with each song and therefore the quality is better than anything they've done before.

But anybody with half a brain knows that music isn't about manufacturing a song on a computers until there's nothing more you can do with it, it's about taking care and crafting each song with passion rather than letting a computer do it for you.

Great observation, Cleggy... their insecurity was endearing. When you try to, as an example, make a movie that everyone will like, you make a Summer Blockbuster. When the movie's over, you leave being mildly entertained but overly disappointed (most of the time). As far as the above bands making music that is "different" (the Who, Zeppelin, U2), they seemed to be going against the trend. This is different for them but sounds like a cookie-cutter version of all the other popular music out today - devoid of genuine feeling to appease everyone (Katy Perry, anyone>?).

With that being said, I still have some hope that this will turn out o.k. But the alien stuff is the only encouraging part of the "story" - and we haven't heard that part of it yet.

This worries me because I think in the past his lack of confidence was partly responsible for his sincere, honest lyrics and his honest music that doesn't try too hard and go over the top. With this album I think they've tinkered with things so much that they firmly believe that there's nothing more they could have done with each song and therefore the quality is better than anything they've done before.

I couldn't have said it better myself. What really struck me about the old Coldplay songs was how effortless + organic they sounded. You really believed what Chris was signing, even if they weren't works of literary genius. Now... it sounds like they're working so desperately to create another hit that it just sounds overproduced and ironically, lifeless.

But that's exactly my point - should Coldplay really care about promoting the album to a wide audience or should they focus on making the best music they possible can?

For example, take Radiohead. Whether or not you like their music, you can't say they're a band that's afraid to change. And despite never having a single place in the Top-40, they still attract a rabid fanbase + critical acclaim. Instead of trying to get radioplay + a wide audience, it seems they focus on making music that challenges them and allows them to progress creatively.

Whot ? :shocked2:. They have 17 top 40 singles , 5 number one albums and more top 5/10 albums

Whot ? :shocked2:. They have 17 top 40 singles , 5 number one albums and more top 5/10 albums

By Top-40, I was referring to the US charts, not the UK. And to be fair, I did make an error - Radiohead have had a grand total of 2 singles in the top-40. Nude at a glorious #37 and Creep at an even better #34.

It's funny that you bring up the number of times Radiohead had a #1 album, despite never really having radio-friendly songs. It only goes to prove that you don't need to have massive radioplay to be a successful band. Don't believe me? The polarizing Kid A charted #1 in the US with no official radio singles.

" My biggest fear is that Coldplay secretly knows their new songs lack substance and they try to hide it by overproducing every single track, almost as if to distract us from the fact that their new songs essentially don't mean anything"

"... doesn't mean all change is good. Coldplay's new songs hint that they would rather be the biggest band in the world, rather than the best. Coldplay should be challenging themselves musically and further developing their sound rather than regressing by producing Top-40 songs and trying to get widespread radioplay. It's a massive waste of their talent and that's the most disappointing thing of all."

This is so true. I extracted my favourite parts of your post but the bolded sentence says it all.

"Paradise" has the same recipe that a song like "I Kissed a Girl" in that it gets stuck in your head like a commercial jingle. It's been in my head all day and I must confess that it's catchy - but not epic. I was expecting epic... especially hearing the first verse. It sounds like a Chris Martin solo song.

I am sure it will be a hit (if it isn't already on iTunes), but it's not what I expected. I honestly believe this will be Coldplay's last album.

Why is that if I Google "Jay-Z, Beyonce and Rihanna" (all "friends" of Chris Martin) it finishes with Illuminati??? Crazy stuff if you check it out... Does that explain the "one eye watching you" lyric and Coldplay selling their souls? Damn, there is even Illuminati references in "ETIAW" video? Oh boy... say it ain't so~:)

That still doesn't explain why the lyrics are getting progressively worse. Plus, it's not like the new lyrics necessarily complement the new songs...

Again, it's my belief that Chris Martin doesn't have that "spark," the creative influences to really write a good song anymore. Once you reach the point where you have the money + the fame, where do you turn for inspiration? You certainly can't turn to your own life....

thats why they arent turning to their own lives for inspiration on this album..They said they were looking at the White Rose movement,which can give someone real inspiration

.The songs do seem to be about things not rightg in the world and a need to escape..

"Paradise" has the same recipe that a song like "I Kissed a Girl" in that it gets stuck in your head like a commercial jingle. It's been in my head all day and I must confess that it's catchy - but not epic. I was expecting epic... especially hearing the first verse. It sounds like a Chris Martin solo song.

I am sure it will be a hit (if it isn't already on iTunes), but it's not what I expected. I honestly believe this will be Coldplay's last album.

Why is that if I Google "Jay-Z, Beyonce and Rihanna" (all "friends" of Chris Martin) it finishes with Illuminati??? Crazy stuff if you check it out... Does that explain the "one eye watching you" lyric and Coldplay selling their souls? Damn, there is even Illuminati references in "ETIAW" video? Oh boy... say it ain't so~:)

Why do you believe Mylo Xyloto will be Coldplays last Album.

Also, logically the singles will be the most mainstream/poppy/crap out of the whole album, as their purpose is to promote the album to a wider audience than die-hard coldplay fans like us.

You have an excellent point! I, personally, have been quite judgmental of ETIAW and Paradise both on this board and with my friends that like Coldplay, but I've not been a huge fan of their initial single releases in the past anyway. My favorite songs off of each album are typically the last singles released (if released at all). Singles are meant to advertise after all, and they will typically appeal to the Top 40 listeners. They already know their current fans will buy the album. I mean, most of us (if not all) that are on this forum will get our hands on the new album if not for any other reason than because of our love of their previous work.

Why do you believe Mylo Xyloto will be Coldplays last Album.

Just a hunch, really... they cannot get any bigger or have bigger aspirations. Maybe an EP, but if you think they will be still able to be creative in three years than they will be the exception to the rule.

The idea of a proper "album" may be obsolete by then, anyway.

Coldplay have hit a whole other level... it follows a blueprint of many other really big bands that they will crumble under the enormous expectations surrounding them. What more can they achieve? Just a thought... besides, Chris has hinted that each time they finish an album. It's a draining process- especially when you start bringing in different producers and consultants (Eno).

You have an excellent point! I, personally, have been quite judgmental of ETIAW and Paradise both on this board and with my friends that like Coldplay, but I've not been a huge fan of their initial single releases in the past anyway. My favorite songs off of each album are typically the last singles released (if released at all). Singles are meant to advertise after all, and they will typically appeal to the Top 40 listeners. They already know their current fans will buy the album. I mean, most of us (if not all) that are on this forum will get our hands on the new album if not for any other reason than because of our love of their previous work.

True...I know that even though I don't love the two singles, I'll still buy the album.

Just a hunch, really... they cannot get any bigger or have bigger aspirations. Maybe an EP, but if you think they will be still able to be creative in three years than they will be the exception to the rule.

The idea of a proper "album" may be obsolete by then, anyway.

Coldplay have hit a whole other level... it follows a blueprint of many other really big bands that they will crumble under the enormous expectations surrounding them. What more can they achieve? Just a thought... besides, Chris has hinted that each time they finish an album. It's a draining process- especially when you start bringing in different producers and consultants (Eno).

Very good points, I would never of thought of it from that perspective.

They really seem to have thrown everything into this album, if it is

to be there last then Im sure it will meet the expectations.

Singles are meant to advertise after all, and they will typically appeal to the Top 40 listeners. They already know their current fans will buy the album. I mean, most of us (if not all) that are on this forum will get our hands on the new album if not for any other reason than because of our love of their previous work.

And that's the question I asked earlier (to which no one really responded): why does Coldplay have to follow the mold so to speak and have their singles appeal to Top 40 listeners? Why do they care about specifically choosing songs to appeal to the Top 40 crowd? Shouldn't they let the music speak for itself?

I realize the above may sound elitist so let me explain a bit further. I just don't see the need for Coldplay to release mediocre songs only for the intention of attracting more fans. Just take a look at Radiohead for example: they've constantly been changing their sound without releasing radio-friendly singles. That doesn't stop them from having their albums reach #1 or selling out all their shows in minutes.