✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Is the money and fame getting to Chris Martin's songwriting abilities??

para-para-parrotdies

If trying to generate conversation about Coldplay's lyrics makes me a troll, then yes I'm guilty....:rolleyes:

Like I've said before, my intention is not to generate any negativity or hate. Coldplay remains one of my favorite bands of all time. That being said, I'm not going to be like blind sheep and hold the view that Coldplay can do no wrong. And one thing I am genuinely concerned about is Chris Martin's songwriting abilities.

It's true that Coldplay never had the greatest lyrics - no one is going to confuse Chris Martin with a Bob Dylan or Neil Young for that matter. Still, the lyrics in the early days far surpass the recent output, including the MX era songs. Usually songwriters get better over time but it seems to be the opposite with Coldplay and I'm truly puzzled by it

Bob Dylan or Neil Young his lyrics bored maybe :thinking:

So but I will not talk about the lyrics of Chris Martin because it sounds like a violation home not brain on some songs :embarrassed:

503915.jpg

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that's the question I asked earlier (to which no one really responded): why does Coldplay have to follow the mold so to speak and have their singles appeal to Top 40 listeners? Why do they care about specifically choosing songs to appeal to the Top 40 crowd? Shouldn't they let the music speak for itself?

I realize the above may sound elitist so let me explain a bit further. I just don't see the need for Coldplay to release mediocre songs only for the intention of attracting more fans. Just take a look at Radiohead for example: they've constantly been changing their sound without releasing radio-friendly singles. That doesn't stop them from having their albums reach #1 or selling out all their shows in minutes.

THIS is why I am SURE Moving to Mars was left off. And Princess of China , to me, at least, sounds mediocre too. I guess I am the only one.

THIS is why I am SURE Moving to Mars was left off. And Princess of China , to me, at least, sounds mediocre too. I guess I am the only one.

While I am not terribly fond of the idea of Rihanna collaborating w/Coldplay, I will reserve judgment until I hear it. After all, I thought Kanye + Bon Iver would have been a terrible idea but we ended up with "Lost in the World."

That being said, I don't understand why a song like "Moving to Mars" was left off the album while we have a song like "Paradise." Not only is the first song more daring + innovative, it sounds more authentic than the overproduced mess known as Paradise.

While I am not terribly fond of the idea of Rihanna collaborating w/Coldplay, I will reserve judgment until I hear it. After all, I thought Kanye + Bon Iver would have been a terrible idea but we ended up with "Lost in the World."

That being said, I don't understand why a song like "Moving to Mars" was left off the album while we have a song like "Paradise." Not only is the first song more daring + innovative, it sounds more authentic than the overproduced mess known as Paradise.

I kinda understand why it was left off cause coldplay said the album was going to have a happy ending. I bet on one of those four tracklists they had laid out, Moving to Mars was for sure a closer to the album. But that would have ended the album on a somber note, like how the two main characters may never see each other or the earth again. Just placing MTM in the album just to have it there would probably throw off the flow and storyline of the album. But i think its a great song and I'm glad we got a studio version of it.

btw imo, the ep kinda feels like a mini storyline to me, goes from happy, upbeat (etiaw) to dark (mm) then to sad and emotional (mtm) maybe thats just me idk but i can see why moving to mars was left off the lp

I also believe that Coldplay needs to branch out in terms of musical influence. When they were first starting out, they stated that musicians like Jeff Buckley, Radiohead and Echo & the Bunnymen were their musical inspirations, bands they looked up to in crafting their sound.

....nowadays, it's musicians like A-ha, Jay-Z and Rihanna. :stunned:

....nowadays, it's musicians like A-ha, Jay-Z and Rihanna. :stunned:

you respect only industy of disc crap . and artists so famous for loved this crap industry of disc.

I took A-HA to RESPECT for his lyrics and social work because it ONLY this band that saved my life when I was young by his songs. :dozey:

you respect only industy of disc crap . and artists so famous for loved this crap industry of disc.

I took A-HA to RESPECT for his lyrics and social work because it ONLY this band that saved my life when I was young by his songs. :dozey:

Listen, it's great that A-ha's music holds much significance in your life (although their "social work" shouldn't really factor into this discussion...) but you're missing the point. The argument I made was that Coldplay's early influences were innovative and influential musicians, bands unafraid to push boundaries.

But these days, they have moved away from the aforementioned influences. You might prefer A-ha's music but can you honestly say they are more innovative musically than a band like Radiohead? Jeff Buckley? I'm sure Morten Harket would even concede this point...

^Whateva Lory, please post your opinions in your mother tongue, I swear we will understand more than when you post in this English of yours.

I speak just of industry of disc , sometimes the artists are forced to say what the record company and have not more creativity in the music .

Listen, it's great that A-ha's music holds much significance in your life (although their "social work" shouldn't really factor into this discussion...) but you're missing the point. The argument I made was that Coldplay's early influences were innovative and influential musicians, bands unafraid to push boundaries.

But these days, they have moved away from the aforementioned influences. You might prefer A-ha's music but can you honestly say they are more innovative musically than a band like Radiohead? Jeff Buckley? I'm sure Morten Harket would even concede this point...

I said just sometimes the artists has destroyed their creativity musicale for cause bosses of disc said sell lots of albums. or not more contact .

is the problems the bosses of industry musc .

I don't think his lyrics are any worse or better than those that were being written for, say AROBTTH.

Exhibit A: "Don't want to see another generation drop / I'd rather be a comma than a full stop"

Exhibit B: "Maybe I'm in the black, maybe I'm on my knees / Maybe I'm in the gap between two trapezes"

Exhibit C: "Every siren is a symphony / and every tear's a waterfall"

Exhibit D: "So you can hurt, hurt me bad / But still I'll raise the flag, woooh"

Exhibit E: "It was a wa-ah-ah-ah-aterfall / A wa-ah-ah-ah-aterfall"

....I think Exhibit E speaks for itself don't you?

^The lyrics have severely declined in quality since the ARoBttH era. An example will do:

Amsterdam

Come on, oh my star is fading

And I see no chance of release

I know I'm dead on the surface

But I am screaming underneath

ETiaW

I turn the music up, I got my records on...

I feel my heart start beating too my favourite song

It was a waa-waa-waaterfall

Paradise

This could be para-para-paradise...

So yeah...no difference at all.

^The lyrics have severely declined in quality since the ARoBttH era. An example will do:

Amsterdam

Come on, oh my star is fading

And I see no chance of release

I know I'm dead on the surface

But I am screaming underneath

ETiaW

I turn the music up, I got my records on...

I feel my heart start beating too my favourite song

It was a waa-waa-waaterfall

It's hard to believe that these two songs were written by the same band. Such a noticeable difference in quality that you can't help but ask yourself "what happened?"

Exhibit A: "Don't want to see another generation drop / I'd rather be a common than a full stop"

Exhibit B: "Maybe I'm in the black, maybe I'm on my knees / Maybe I'm in the gap between two trapezes"

Exhibit D: "So you can hurt, hurt me bad / But still I'll raise the flag, woooh"

Exhibit E is the like the murder weapon with the persons' fingerprints on. Guarenteed to prove the point

At this point of their career they are in a position where they can do pretty much everything they want, unfortunately instead of taking some risks they have chosen the easiest way (etiaw and paradise are the perfect example).

What they are doing now is far from being an experiment.

Exhibit A: "Don't want to see another generation drop / I'd rather be a comma than a full stop"

Just because it is different doesn't mean it is worse or better! I don't get what is wrong with those lyrics at all in comparison to their other songs. There will always be songs that are better than others lyrically & melodically but that is just the way it is. For every person who doesn't like ETIAW there will be someone else who loves. I think they have come to realise that they can't please everyone all of the time so it is better to have everyone like something of there's rather than one person who likes it all. It makes them further reaching, and THAT is why they are so successful!!!

It's hard to believe that these two songs were written by the same band. Such a noticeable difference in quality that you can't help but ask yourself "what happened?"

You have just proved the point I am trying to make. They can't keep writing the same style songs and sounds. I would rather have something fresh every album in terms of sounds & lyrics than the same sounding tunes over and over and over and over :sleep::sleep: and over :sleeping::sleeping: and over and over again! :sleeping2:

Just because it is different doesn't mean it is worse or better! I don't get what is wrong with those lyrics at all in comparison to their other songs. There will always be songs that are better than others lyrically & melodically but that is just the way it is. For every person who doesn't like ETIAW there will be someone else who loves. I think they have come to realise that they can't please everyone all of the time so it is better to have everyone like something of there's rather than one person who likes it all. It makes them further reaching, and THAT is why they are so successful!!!

Essentially, the lyrics lack effort, they lack meaning. Not only that, but the band also got used to repeating ooooooh's in many songs and that is really not something what I can relate to when listening to their songs.

Essentially, the lyrics lack effort, they lack meaning. Not only that, but the band also got used to repeating ooooooh's in many songs and that is really not something what I can relate to when listening to their songs.

Yeah, they keep putting it in every single song now, the oooohs... And the lyrics, really blatant sometimes...

And now I am laughing even harder when I read that virtual sock quote you got there :laugh3::laugh3::laugh3: