✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Is the money and fame getting to Chris Martin's songwriting abilities??

para-para-parrotdies

Whether the songs people are complaining about can be classified as pop or not is neither here nor there. Lazy songwriting / shallow lyrics / lack of inspiration are what people are ACTUALLY concerned about. And these things are really not that hard to notice if you haven't put Chris Martin on a pedestal.

Thank you! The whole intention of this thread was to talk about the songwriting and the lyrics. As you might have surmised, the thread was derailed a couple of times by people not really understanding the argument. More often that not, people were putting words in my mouth, claiming that I wanted another Parachutes or A Rush of Blood to the Head....

It's about taking an objective look at the lyrics, comparing the average efforts from the earlier days to their recent songs. Take off the Coldplay-tinted glasses for a bit and just look at the words written down. You'll find it's indicative of lazy songwriting (and the poll reflects what I've been talking about the entire time)

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*cough* *cough*

Example 1:

Look at the stars,

Look how they shine for you,

And everything you do,

Yeah they were all yellow

Example 2:

Please, please, please

Come on and sing to me

To me, me

Come on and sing it out, out, out

Come on and sing it now, now, now

Come on and sing it

Example 3:

Created, then drilled and invaded

If somebody made it

Someone will mess it up

And you are not wrong to

Ask who does this belong to

It belongs to all of us

Example 4:

Priests clutched onto bibles

Hollowed out to fit their rifles

And the cross was held aloft

Bury me in armor

When I'm dead and hit the ground

A love back home unfolds

Example 5:

The tightrope that I’m walking just sways and ties

The devil as he’s talking with those angel’s eyes

And I just want to be there when the lightning strikes

And the saints go marching in

Tremendous decline in quality. :nod:

I mean, I don't want to say that Paradise lyrics are good. It's just that they have always had bad lyrics and good lyrics (it's the examples you choose that create the image). I don't think that their skills have suffered, they can still write great songs. They only head in a different direction (which was hard for me as well when I heard Paradise. In fact, I was really shocked :confused:), which is not necessarily what we expected them to do.

After all, this is going to be a concept album and lyrics will inevitably be adjusted to support the story.

THIS.

First off, everyone is going to have their own personal favorite coldplay songs, and I think that is what makes them great. Remember, coldplay's first "hit" song was Yellow ... with lyrics like "and they were all yellow" Even coldplay themselves claims they don't even know what that song means, but it was fun and catchy so it gained popularity. I doubt many people on here were attracted to coldplay based on "ode to deodorant", most of us were hooked based on the radio hit songs like yellow etc. Then we discovered when we got the entire albums that they wrote incredible songs like spies, don't panic, etc. Every Teardrop is a Waterfall, Paradise and this album Mylo Xyloto follow in this same path. Lyrically, the only "radio hit" coldplay songs that have any substantial value, imo, are clocks and viva la vida. Everything else is simply meant to have a good melody and gain worldwide attraction. For people who haven't heard of coldplay, but listen to contemporary pop/rock music on the radio, then both those songs might have the same effect "yellow" did on the new listeners. They will buy Mylo Xyloto and realize coldplay also wirtes songs like charlie brown and hurts like heaven and become possible lifelong fans. Also, and I'm not defending the lyrics, but there is more to etiaw then "wa wa wa wa waterfall" In regards to the question of how that lyric fits into a concept album...it doesn't, but that's why it is a "lyric" and not the "entire song."

Based on it's placement in the album, it does sorta sum up components of the first half of the album, with lines such as "my 'heart starts beating' 'all the kids they dance'(cb) 'heaven is in sight' (hlh). Although these lyrics may not have the substance and emotional meaning of songs like Politik, they do fit with the concept of the story. As for Paradise, same terms apply, however this time, it is introducing the female character and alludes to her desires, which i'm assuming will a major theme to the latter half of the album.

THIS TOO!

I don't have to actually say anything when awesome fans like you say it for me! ;)

THIS.

Purplemonkeyz232, if you've bothered to read any of my earlier posts, then you would know I've already conceded that Coldplay has a few lyrical clunkers in the past (after all, what band or musician can claim to have great lyrics 100% of the time?) I've even admitted that Yellow + In My Place are indicative of lazy songwriting, while a song like Us Against the World is pretty good.

So once again, you're missing the point that the average effort of the earlier days far surpass the recent stuff lyrically - I have a much easier time finding subpar lyrics in their new stuff

Purplemonkeyz232, if you've bothered to read any of my earlier posts, then you would know I've already conceded that Coldplay has a few lyrical clunkers in the past (after all, what band or musician can claim to have great lyrics 100% of the time?) I've even admitted that Yellow + In My Place are indicative of lazy songwriting, while a song like Us Against the World is pretty good.

So once again, you're missing the point that the average effort of the earlier days far surpass the recent stuff lyrically - I have a much easier time finding subpar lyrics in their new stuff

And I can completely understand that! But, I just don't think that the new singles are necessarily for us. They're made to be radio-friendly so that new people can discover coldplay. Think about it...half of the fans on this site wouldn't be fans if they hadn't heard yellow!

Also, I'm going to agree that a lot of the earlier stuff is better than the more recent stuff lyrically. "We never change" is better than "lost!" But, that being said, I don't always like coldplay songs just for the lyrics. Sometimes, regardless of what chris is singing, the music just moves me. You can't say that despite the lyrics, you've never gotten lost in dancing to yellow, or 42 when the music swells...

But, that being said, I don't always like coldplay songs just for the lyrics. Sometimes, regardless of what chris is singing, the music just moves me. You can't say that despite the lyrics, you've never gotten lost in dancing to yellow, or 42 when the music swells...

You're absolutely right in that regard - lyrics aren't and shouldn't be the be-all and end-all of a song. However, lyrics do matter and frankly, I'm not a fan of lazy songwriting evident in some of Coldplay's recent stuff. It seems other people also share this view that lyrics have taken a turn for the worse... my intention from the beginning

Of course, but then missing the point is actually part of the defense mechanism that keeps these people perpetually in self-denial. Why have an open and honest conversation about it when you can pretend that Coldplay are awesome no matter what? Much more fun that way.

In no way am I saying that Coldplay is perfect, because they most certainly are not. But, they are my favorite band, and I do like to try and see their side of things before I criticize them.

I do agree that some of the earlier lyrics are better than the ones as of late, but that doesn't stop from liking the music from all of the eras respectively. I just appreciate them for different reasons, and, quite frankly, it's hard to appreciate this era for the lyrics. (Except for UATW, HLH, and CB!)

;)

In no way am I saying that Coldplay is perfect, because they most certainly are not. But, they are my favorite band, and I do like to try and see their side of things before I criticize them.

I do agree that some of the earlier lyrics are better than the ones as of late, but that doesn't stop from liking the music from all of the eras respectively. I just appreciate them for different reasons, and, quite frankly, it's hard to appreciate this era for the lyrics. (Except for UATW, HLH, and CB!)

;)

Yeah I might have been a bit too quick to judge there, I missed your reply above mine, sorry about that! No hard feelings I hope. I'm glad you can see both the good and the bad in these songs, and there's definitely quality material from this era - just not as much as I was hoping for (so far).

Yeah I might have been a bit too quick to judge there, I missed your reply above mine, sorry about that! No hard feelings I hope. I'm glad you can see both the good and the bad in these songs, and there's definitely quality material from this era - just not as much as I was hoping for (so far).

No worries, mate! Also, I agree. I think we all had pretty high expectations. Who knows? Maybe they'll surprise us with a sudden stroke of brilliance on the rest of the album! :)

What's this? An actual civil discussion where people can have differing viewpoints and not be called a "hater"? :shocked2::shocked2: I don't believe it....What has happened to the forum?

;)

I don't think Hollywood or fame has gotten to Chris Martin's songwriting talent. He's just not a Hollywood type. It's gotta be beyond tough to write songs that thousands of people can relate to. The album is going to be great, and personally I cannot wait for it. I love the fact that they are going in a different direction and not recreating another Viva la Vida or Parachutes. X&Y is my least favorite album for that reason. It was like A Rush of Blood To the Head 2.0. Speed of Sound especially.

Well I bet someone has already mentioned it but of course Chris changed through this years. He was nowhere, just a boy from big family, now he is millionaire with beautiful wife and two kids. How could he write something about sadness/love/feelings in this situation? That's why we hear today crappy upbeat radio friendly tracks. He has already told everything he wants about our universe, human existence, etc. He don't worry nowadays, he don't have passion to something which could lead to some expression in his music. Coldplay is done, lads.

MartinFan has had the privilege of seeing Chris Martin & Gwyneth Paltrow kissing, everything is cool at the same time she said not to like Gwyneth Paltrow because it is only a famous and likes it.

http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77866&page=19

I think Chris sings about things like the simple and direct songs Rihanna, as it worked with her. perhaps influence, and more you have something here:

Chris' interview with Rolling Stone in 2008. Some one on these boards claimed he had 1 meaningful relationship before he met his wife, not so according to

Chris:

RS: Have you had a lot of serious girlfriends in your life?

Chris: I've only been in one serious relationship.

RS: Beside this one?

Chris: No, this is the only one. Is that weird? I don't think it's that weird. It wouldn't be weird 200 years ago.

RS: No, its not weird that you would only have one serious relationship. But it is weird that your only relationship is int he context of a rock star dating a movie star.

Chris: Well, I know. But that's love. Just go with it. Think of Romeo and Juliet, or people with really challenging marriages -cross borders, cross races, sometimes cousins. Many people have challenging situations.

RS: Did you realize how intense the experience of being with a movie star would be?

Chris: Yeah, I did, but I always felt it would be great to be with a very powerful woman, b/c it would always keep you in your place and remind you that you still weren't very good. So I knew that there would be negatives to it, which are all obvious to state, but the positives out-weight them. And being married to some one very successful and very powerful basically keeps you hungry to improve.

RS: You keep using the word "powerful"

Chris: But you know what I'm saying. However big you are as a musician, it's never the same deal as big Hollywood actors.

RS: Does it bother you to watch your with, say, Robert Downey Jr. in a movie?

Chris: Oh, no, no, no. I'm not a jealous person. I think if you're jealous in this business, you're not be very happy. Even if your girlfriend or wife is at home while you're on tour, then you'd still just freak out all the time, cause jealousy's so hard to control.

RS: You're young to have two kids. Did you always think you'd settle down so early?

Chris: You've got to let life happen. Otherwise, A, your life is dull, and B, your writing is dull b/c you're not letting life happen.

RS: But when you're a rock star, you have the option of extending your adolescence indefinitely.

Chris: Yeah, but your music turns shit. Name one person who is perpetually adolescent who's made a good album.

RS: You've taken some aggressive action against paparazzi - there was an incident whit a photographer's car, and you wrestled a paparazzi to the ground this year.

Chris: The reason why we keep private as a family, and why I always have a hood and sneak in and out of places, is b/c it brings out a kind of physical rage that I can't really control. You are allowed to spend taxpayers' money on war and killing civilians, but you can't go and smack someone who's upset your bandmate or your baby or something.

Getting arrested is no fun. It's terrfying. That's why I don't like to talk about that side of things, and I don't like to go down red carpets b/c it invites a certain type of person into my life who I just don't like. So I keep myself away from them, b/c you can't go around being physically aggressive to people. There was a point where I thought, "OK, I've got to get away from being fingerprinted and held in a cell." I thought, "This is no good. This is obviously not working as a tactic."

1 - I agree with you on that one. Like Amsterdam for example, I've always thought it could be about some older man and a younger girl. My star is fading, time is on your side.

2 - Lory is that one person that every group of people has! :laugh3:

explained I did not understand your sentence? my username is LoryApparatjikBjerre

It's still a bit early but I'm generally surprised at the lack of votes for Parachutes and relatively big support for Viva la Vida. But as expected, AROBTTH has the most votes.
Yeah, as much as I like AROBTTH, I voted for Parachutes. Apart from Yellow and ENL, I always found the rest of the songs to contain some of Chris Martin's most mature lyrics to date.