✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Is the money and fame getting to Chris Martin's songwriting abilities??

para-para-parrotdies

The new single "Paradise" only confirms what we have long suspected: the Hollywood lifestyle is bringing the demise of this once great band. As many members have questioned, how is it that a band once capable of writing great songs like "Amsterdam" and "Politik" resort to releasing material like "Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall" and "Paradise"?

The reason is that Chris Martin cannot handle the money nor the fame... he has been desensitized by the Hollywood lifestyle. When your life is pretty much perfect and you're hanging out with celebrities like Jay-Z + Beyonce on a regular basis, how can you continue writing songs dealing with unrequited love like "Sparks" or "A Warning Sign"? How can you write about the troubles of everyday life like "Spies" or "A Rush of Blood to the Head"?

Consequently, there's no substance to the new songs and this is reflected in the lyrics. "Wa-wa-wa-wa-waterfall"? "Para-para-paradise"? Really guys? My biggest fear is that Coldplay secretly knows their new songs lack substance and they try to hide it by overproducing every single track, almost as if to distract us from the fact that their new songs essentially don't mean anything. Same with their live shows: instead of just playing music and letting that speak for itself, they're pulling out all the tricks with fireworks and lights...

And note: this isn't a post saying I want Clocks v2 or Yellow v2. I welcome change - For example, I love Radiohead's new direction after OK Computer or U2's decision to release Achtung Baby after Rattle and Hum. However, this doesn't mean all change is good. Coldplay's new songs hint that they would rather be the biggest band in the world, rather than the best. Coldplay should be challenging themselves musically and further developing their sound rather than regressing by producing Top-40 songs and trying to get widespread radioplay. It's a massive waste of their talent and that's the most disappointing thing of all.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I have to say is wait for the album. There are plenty of unheard songs on MX for them to redeem themselves.

This... I'm getting a headache from the surge of gossip/arguments on this forum and am thinking about taking a hiatus from the site until after the release of MX.

Also, logically the singles will be the most mainstream/poppy/crap out of the whole album, as their purpose is to promote the album to a wider audience than die-hard coldplay fans like us.

But that's exactly my point - should Coldplay really care about promoting the album to a wide audience or should they focus on making the best music they possible can?

For example, take Radiohead. Whether or not you like their music, you can't say they're a band that's afraid to change. And despite never having a single place in the Top-40, they still attract a rabid fanbase + critical acclaim. Instead of trying to get radioplay + a wide audience, it seems they focus on making music that challenges them and allows them to progress creatively.

We all know the lyrics to all the festival songs are amazing, so just chill

The phrase "hurts like heaven" alone is as bad as anything from Every Teardrop.

Also, I want in on this whole mock-Coldplay-with-your-username business. Maybe I should change my username to "Don't Let It Break Your Fart" or "Up With the Turds". :thinking:

The phrase "hurts like heaven" alone is as bad as anything from Every Teardrop.

I actually love the lyric "you use your heart as a weapon, and it hurts like heaven." Much much better than every tear, every tear, every tear drop is a waaaaaaaterfall a waa waa waa waa waaaaaaaterfall

Well, that was spoiled from the beggining.

You thought that "I wanna be bigger and stronger, drive a fast car / I think I wanna change my attitude / I think I wanna change my atmosphere" was just a lyric?

He meant it, and, well... There it is.

The post actually isn't meant just for the recent MX songs. I'm speaking generally about Coldplay lyrics and how it seems they're progressively getting worse.

Take Christmas Lights: "Christmas night, another fight / Tears, we cried a flood" or Lost: "Just because I'm losing / Doesn't mean I'm lost"

Let's take the music out of the equation for a second and just analyze the lyrics and the lyrics alone. Can anyone honestly say Chris Martin's songwriting abilities have improved over time? This was the reason for my post. I'm not trying to be a "hater" or anything of that sort (I'll save judgment for MX once I actually hear the entire album). I'm genuinely puzzled why the songwriting has significantly regressed since the early days and trying to figure out why.

I think Coldplay lyrics were never great or deep, but the melodies used to hold the greatness.

Now the melodies suffers. Real drums are coadjuvant. Rihanna is on the way. Tiesto is probably the next, and he'll bring more synths.

They're, yes, getting cheesier, but their emotional touch is fading, ironically.

So I can only be sorry.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-lBrE2IYpY]Animals by Coldplay - YouTube[/ame]

Yeah!

If trying to generate conversation about Coldplay's lyrics makes me a troll, then yes I'm guilty....:rolleyes:

Like I've said before, my intention is not to generate any negativity or hate. Coldplay remains one of my favorite bands of all time. That being said, I'm not going to be like blind sheep and hold the view that Coldplay can do no wrong. And one thing I am genuinely concerned about is Chris Martin's songwriting abilities.

It's true that Coldplay never had the greatest lyrics - no one is going to confuse Chris Martin with a Bob Dylan or Neil Young for that matter. Still, the lyrics in the early days far surpass the recent output, including the MX era songs. Usually songwriters get better over time but it seems to be the opposite with Coldplay and I'm truly puzzled by it

Maybe they are just exploring different sounds and it had to happen at some point!

That still doesn't explain why the lyrics are getting progressively worse. Plus, it's not like the new lyrics necessarily complement the new songs...

Again, it's my belief that Chris Martin doesn't have that "spark," the creative influences to really write a good song anymore. Once you reach the point where you have the money + the fame, where do you turn for inspiration? You certainly can't turn to your own life....

As many members have questioned, how is it that a band once capable of writing great songs like "Amsterdam" and "Politik" resort to releasing material like "Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall" and "Paradise"?

Don't know what you mean by that. I don't want to compare Coldplay songs but I can definitely say that I'm lucky of ETIAW and Paradise. I'm lucky that they were created by Coldplay and that they are instead of some cheap copies of Politik and Amsterdam and all the other AROBTTH/Parachutes-stuff. So, personally, I don't see the point of the thread and that is all I wanted to say.

I'm lucky that they were created by Coldplay and that they are instead of some cheap copies of Politik and Amsterdam and all the other AROBTTH/Parachutes-stuff.

Don't get me wrong - the last thing I would want is Politik v2 or Amsterdam v2. As much as I enjoyed AROBTTH + Parachutes, I like other fans want an evolution of Coldplay's sound. It would be boring for Coldplay to make similar sounding records over and over again.

As I've mentioned several times in this thread, I'm wondering about Chris Martin's songwriting abilities aka the lyrics. Without getting into a discussion about the music, just a quick comparison of the lyrics seem to be pointing towards a regression of sorts.

For example, take the lyrics of a song like "A Rush of Blood to the Head": (He said oh I'm going to buy a gun and start a war / If you can tell me something worth fighting for) and compare it to the lyrics of "Paradise": (Life goes on / It gets so heavy / The wheel breaks the butterfly / Every tear, a waterfall). Can you honestly say the lyrics to Paradise are better?

^First off: love the name and avatar.

Secondly: You're very right. Recently a lot of the lyrics have been a little dubious. It doesn't feel like the same pen any more. Comparing even the lyrics from some of X&Y to today you see a massive shift (I use X&Y as the example because everyone seems to harbour a lot of animosity to X&Y despite it being my favourite). It feels like somewhere Chris has lost the spark of emotion that made his lyrics great.