✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

So Does Anyone Want an Albums of the Year Poll This Year?

Space Cadet

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. We have to do this, it's like a WoM tradition! I've already got my top three sussed out :awesome:

On the MX thing, wasn't Viva La Vida kind of exempt last time. Didn't we have two numbers ones that year...?

edit: found the 2008 thread

Seldom Seen Kid was number 1, Viva was the absolute king tho. I say we work it like that again, have a Coldplay free top ten (altho with all the MX hate, it might not be necessary ;) )

Just as long as Ian doesn't tweet about the poll, which would sabotage our efforts by drawing the attention of everyone else (still love ya, Ian :P). Like how our ETIAW-bashing threads didn't actually draw out Coldplay section regulars until it was tweeted about.

Too late. He already did.

33 Yes votes. That's enough people for a pretty good list, so I guess it's happening. Thanks for your support guys. :nice:

I'll start the official voting thread when I get back on Monday.

About Mylo Xyloto: like Viva la Vida it will be defending Coldplay's position of undisputed king of the board but will be ineligible for #1. That way it gets special attention when it wins by an inevitable landslide but the bias shouldn't affect the overall rankings too much.

Besides, if it wasn't first, that would be...interesting. :wink3:

Just as long as Ian doesn't tweet about the poll, which would sabotage our efforts by drawing the attention of everyone else (still love ya, Ian :P). Like how our ETIAW-bashing threads didn't actually draw out Coldplay section regulars until it was tweeted about.

Too late. He already did.

:laugh3: Thanks for the attention, Ian! :cool:

I think a bigger crowd is a good thing- more chances for obscure albums to get a vote or two, and drawing the fangirls down here to be exposed to new things might be good for them (and eventually our sanity)- lists like this were always great ways for me to discover how vast the music world actually is when I was first getting into new bands and new styles of music.

That's one of the contenders I had in mind along with Let England Shake, Helplessness Blues, Strange Mercy, Eye Contact and other noteworthy albums. Like I said, no definitive AOTY yet.
Ok, we definitely have to do the list again. I have no idea what any of those are... yet. ...Which is why I'm still here. :smug2:

On the MX thing, wasn't Viva La Vida kind of exempt last time. Didn't we have two numbers ones that year...?

edit: found the 2008 thread

Exactly

nah not interested, it's MX anyway...

EXCEPT: if you include ALL albums released 2011, then yes.... but with multiple choice votes then so you could give like 3 or 5 albums a vote... or you could make a top 5 of the albums, #1 gets 5 points, #2 4,... #5 1 .. whatever

:huh: Um, that sort of sounds like what we do- make lists of up to 25 albums and assign points based on rank.

Yep, especially after hearing the first two singles! It seems it's going to be the best album of the year!
Someone make the Florence album hurry up and come already. :bomb: Oh my word if I like the rest of the songs half as much as the two singles, it will probably be my number one for sure. 'Shake it out' has to be one of the best crappy morning songs ever. :heart: :dance: :dance:

Let England Shake is still my #1 for the year, but my Florence fanboyism could allow Ceremonials to overtake it.

When have we traditionally begun the nominations in previous years and what is usually the cut-off date for releases? Because I remember there being arguments over whether In Rainbows was eligible in 2008 and other things. Early October seems a bit early to me.

I honestly haven't paid the closest attention to ALL 2011 releases..I shall do some studying.

But TKOL is definitely a big one for me, I love it. It's one of the few albums I enjoy listening to from start to finish without skipping songs. I don't get why so many people dislike it.