✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Your Review of MX (Thoughts, Opinions, Favorite Tracks, and Hated Tracks)

86Timewarp

Here's my take:

Since we've heard a good portion of the first half of the album, I cant really say anything on MX - Major Minus. However: MX, HLH, CB, and UATW were awesome!

MX+Hurts Like Heaven

MX is nice, I like the airy guitar effects.

The intro to HLH is a quick cut off of MX. Now I understand that that's how its supposed to be, but unless you listening to the album in order via Windows Media player, or iTunes, it sounds chopped off.

Charlie Brown

I feel like the intro to CB was a bit bland. It's like the iTunes Festival version (minus the audience.) But nether-less, I love it and the backing tracks + the outro were EPIC!

Us Against the World

I absolutely LOVE this version of Us Against the world. The guitar riff really make a statement before it cuts into it's acoustic self. The part when the whole band get's together is just nice to hear the guitars and piano working together and finally Chris takes the floor for the outro.

Now as for the 2nd portion: UFO - Up With the Birds

This maybe a bold statement to say this is like Parachutes Jr. but I dont know how else to compare it.

UFO

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this song reminds me of something from the Viva Era. Not necessarily a certain song, but the soothing acoustic atmosphere along with the lyrics. But thats what makes this song great: it's soothing, not to hard on the ears; another winner. (The end sounds like a song off the iPod app Wavebeat or Beatwave :lol:)

Princess of China

I think most of us have heard this one, but if you haven't: Not much has changed since the Rock in Ring festival. ALOT OF SYNTH. Not a bad thing, but this song is built around synth and a lot of guitar overdrive effects. Chris starts off and then Rihanna takes the stage (or mic is you prefer :D.) She does a nice job and they both blend together well. I like this song, but for some reason I'm not too into it :thinking: BUT IT'S GOOD!

Up in Flames

I was really looking foward to this little number and I'm just sobbing on the inside.

The song didn't change a whole lot since the ACL's concert so it's basically the same song. However: The soothing piano chords and Chris's voice are united as one here. Then when you hear that guitar riff/melody it's like the conclusion to a story is drawing near if not ended. I just love this song.

A Hopeful Transmission + Dont Let it Break Your Heart

AHT sounds like a song you would play when you in the safari :lol: it really flows and you get a sudden wonder of freedom and BAM

DLiBYH cuts in! An amazing fast tempo-ed song that really wants to make me jump and play along (Hal Leonard WHERES THE MX BOOK?!) I really, really, really, love this song, it's tied with UiF. Jonny's guitar effects can be hear all around despite it beening just echos! This song in a nut shell: It makes you want to do something amazing,heroic; LET YOURSELF GO

Up With the Birds

Up With the Birds ties in very nicely has DLiBYH's ending, but it's an amazing song on it's own. At first it's just Chris and the piano with the last guitar chord of DLiBYH. After Chris complete's a verse, you can hear the band go "ah." It's so quiet and strong, then it picks up with strings, and a thump of the drum. You can hear someone else singing echos, possibly Will and Chris back-ups, and then it gets quiet. You can only hear what appear to be strings and "ah's." Then guitars start playing and Chris comes back and so does the band. The song continues and then it fades out, with the piano playing the guitar riff.

All in all I really love MX! Some people may hate me because I'll like anything Coldplay, but you would be wrong. I give this an 8-10. I dont know if it's because the first few tracks were over produced or what, but the really love UFO - UWtB, as well has MX+HLH, CB, and UAtW.

I am very very disappointed in the album. It is way to pop and computer, rather then actual instruments. I hate chris for wanting rhianna to sing on the album, she destroyed the song. Coldplay isn't how they used to be, I miss their old sound. The interludes on the album are also computer and synth, instead of instruments. And a hopeful transmission is just another version of mx!! what the fuck?! what a waste of a track! There are only 2 songs that came out of this album for me, and that is the last 2 tracks, dont let it break your heart, and up with the birds. I like them because they make sense to me, and they are uplifting songs. All the other songs, the hell with them. I really wish the band wouldn't have played like more then half the tracks at festivals, it just gave away the album. I wanted surprise, and to hear everything new all at one time, not over the course of three months. I really hope they make a turn around with their sound, because they are starting to be just like all the rock bands out there. For anyone who finds this offensive, don't. We all have our own thoughts, some of us loved the album, and I am the few that hated it. Coldplay, you guys really let me down, and you don't have much time before I leave for good. My final rating for the album 3 out of 10.

like i said, its just my opinion.

I understand that, but these statements imply that you have multiple contradictory opininons, which is, of course, impossible.

UFO

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this song reminds me of something from the Viva Era. Not necessarily a certain song, but the soothing acoustic atmosphere along with the lyrics.

Definitely. I think it sounds a bit like Now My Feet Won't Touch the Ground.

Good stuff.

Second best Coldplay album.

Mylo Xyloto: Dear lord it's pretty. Harkens back to LiT.

Hurts Like Heaven: I love the production on this. Love the guitar. Favorite song on the album.

Paradise: Good, but one of the worst songs here.

Charlie Brown: Great song, but I don't really think it will have a lasting impact on Coldplay's career.

Us Against the World: Didn't like it live, now it's probably one of the best songs on the album. Love the part where the e. guitar and organ come in as Chris sings "slow it down".

MMIX: Eh. Could have been a tad more inventive than this.

Every Teardrop is a Waterfall: Worst song on here, overproduced, annoying, just plain bad.

Major Minus: 3rd favorite song on the album, amazing guitar from Johnny, love the effects on Chris's voice.

U.F.O: Good, but, again, NOT AMAZING. I thought it'd be better. It's no Faust Arp or Don't Panic.

Princess of China: Weirdest song on here, for me. I like it, and it's definitely different, not just because of Rihanna, but the production is strange. Will take awhile to digest.

Up In Flames: Boooorrrriiiiiinnngggg.

A Hopeful Transmission: Very pretty, best interlude on the disc.

Don't Let it Break Your Heart: 2nd favorite. Just plain amazing. If it was just a tad longer it'd beat Hurts Like Heaven by a mile.

Up With the Birds: Haven't had enough time to judge this one. The few times I've heard it, I've liked it, but it hasn't clicked yet.

Right now I'm giving this a 9.5/10. Viva got a 10, AROBTH got a 9, X&Y a 6, and Parachutes a 9.

It's forward thinking pop music, with enough hooks to catch quite a haul of fish.

Ok. This is my opinion. Not fact. Just what I think.

Mylo Xyloto -

I really liked how the live version sounded, but I love how as the track continues, It begins to grow and layers are added until HLH. Like how an orchestra begins/waking from sleep/the INTRO.

Hurts Like Heaven-

The live version was my favorite song of this era leading up to the album leak.

And when I listened to the album version...

They seemed to tone the guitar part back

Chris has a voice effect/autotune on?!!?!?!?!

What happened to my favorite song?!?!

I was upset.

Then I listened to it again. And again. And through a loud speaker system.

And slowly my mind has been changed.

Im still a little hurt, but I think that it is redeeming itself each play.

Paradise -

Awesome bass intro.

Pretty good. Despite what others say.

Charlie Brown -

Pretty epic, but it took a bit of time to grow on me at first.

Better than live version.

Should get good radio play if Coldplay plays their cards right.

Also love the Peanuts bit at the end.

Us Against the World-

Pretty much as I expected, but the organ is more prevalent now.

Very good, as was the live version.

M.M.I.X. / Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall -

The first is an extended intro to etiaw.

I know not many people liked etiaw, but i love it.

Major Minus -

Still good. Though it took a little while to grow on me at first.

UFO-

Calming.

Thats the word that describes it.

Much like Parachutes.

And very much appreciated.

Princess of China-

Holy Shit! That's Rhianna?!

I knew her voice was going to sound different, but geez.

Lol, I like it. I think it does work, even if she overpowers Chris in the song.

And that bass line is a beast! Must listen to it with a very good bass system, or the magic is lost.

Up in Flames-

I didn't really like the live version at ACL, but I really like the studio version.

I like how simple it is, and his falsetto Up in flames chorus isn't as annoying to me as I thought it would be.

A Hopeful Transmission + Dont Let it Break Your Heart + Up With the Birds -

I group these three together because they are essentially all one giant 8 minute finale.

That said...

HOLY SHIT!

WHAT JUST HAPPENED?!?!

Not only is it amazing, but it is one of the best finales to an album I have ever heard.

Absolute perfection.

A Hopeful Transmission is a redux of Mylo Xyloto, with (spoons?/Percussion?) in the background, which is joined by a heartbeat halfway through, giving way to

DONT LET IT BREAK YOUR HEART.

This is the absolute standout of the album.

It combines Alternative, Rock, Electronic, Piano, Synth, and all five Coldplay albums together into a massive song.

It sounds like Coldplay from Parachutes to Mylo Xyloto, rocking out with massive synths and one of the catchiest choruses I have ever heard.

There have been comparisons to U2's city of blinding lights, and its true, there is resemblance; but this is so much better.

This could be song of the year, depending on how they play their cards.

At the end, synths and the heartbeat of A Hopeful Transmission comes back in, segueing to Up With the Birds.

Starting with Piano and Chris, then building to a massive orchestra of strings.

But then it stops.

It begins to fade.

And it comes back, guitar, piano, drums, bass, and strings.

Rising to the perfect moment of happiness and hope.

Where good things are coming my way.

And then it fades out, calmly, with a piano.

And it ends perfectly.

Liked -

The finale. Absolutely amazing.

Rhianna didn't suck.

Awesomeness all around.

Disliked -

The changes from live to studio on HLH. Slowly I am beginning to like them more and more.

A lot of electronic that may put off a lot of Old Coldplayers, but don't worry: its not as bad as you think.

Overall -

Very good. I can't give enough praise to the finale. Just wow.

Not all Coldplayers will be happy with the change, but change happens.

And its good.

10/10

My Review.

Mylo Xyloto- Sounds great, different to the live versions. More epic, echoey, pianoy. As soon as I heard this I knew the album would be good.

Hurts Like Heaven- Love the bass, driving the melody along. Very unique song. Love the crunchy guitar in the second half and just overall a brilliant introduction with MX to the rest of the album.

Paradise- Always liked this one, though not as much as ETIAW. Sounds better in the context of the album.

Charlie Brown- Wow. There is something in the studio version that just makes it sound amazing. A powerful song that doesn't back down, just gets more and more spectacular. The outro is just amazing.

Us Against the World- Always thought there was something missing in the live versions, it sounded very bland. Now it sounds great and is one of those songs that reminds you of where Coldplay came from and how they can write all this new stuff but still have their original soul.

MMIX- Nothing special, just a long intro to ETIAW

ETIAW- Wasn't too keen on this when I first heard it a while ago but after a few listens I started to love it. Still not very impressed by the first third but the rest of it is so passionate and powerful.

Major Minus- Always liked the song but originally I didn't think it really fit well into the album. It just felt a bit disjointed. However, now after a few listens it's fine, still not an amazing fit but it's good enough to keep the momentum going.

U.F.O- Love the chords, sounds like Wedding Bells. Melody is kind of forgettable though.

Princess Of China- Don't really like the intro but I was really surprised by Rihanna, she sounds great in this song, it really fits.

Up in Flames- Beautiful song but it is extremely repetitive and doesn't really fit next to PoC.

A Hopeful Transmission- Like a remixed Mylo Xyloto. There is a nice sound in the back that sounds like the beginning of Rainy Day. Makes me feel 'hopeful'.

DLIBYH- Really nice surprise, love this song. Sounds like a mix between Glass of Water and Chinese Sleep Chant.

Up with the Birds- At the moment I don't really see what's so special about this one. It's still growing on me, I'm sure I will love it.

The last 2 songs saved this record. DLIBYH and UWTB conquer the whole album...which is sad. Way too overproduced. Brian Eno, please stay away from my favorite band...k? HLH= a total joke . UFO is pretty good and thats about it.

The last 2 songs saved this record. DLIBYH and UWTB conquer the whole album...which is sad. Way too overproduced. Brian Eno, please stay away from my favorite band...k? HLH= a total joke . UFO is pretty good and thats about it.

Really? I actually find U.F.O. extremely boring. There's absolutely nothing memorable about it.

Hurts Like Heaven, on the other hand...the robotic voice effects sound great harmonizing with Chris's voice. I would only change one thing about this song; there's way too much reverb/delay on Jonny's first guitar solo, makes it messy. Would be good with a tiny bit of distortion as well.

I am very very disappointed in the album. It is way to pop and computer, rather then actual instruments. I hate chris for wanting rhianna to sing on the album, she destroyed the song. Coldplay isn't how they used to be, I miss their old sound. The interludes on the album are also computer and synth, instead of instruments. And a hopeful transmission is just another version of mx!! what the fuck?! what a waste of a track! There are only 2 songs that came out of this album for me, and that is the last 2 tracks, dont let it break your heart, and up with the birds. I like them because they make sense to me, and they are uplifting songs. All the other songs, the hell with them. I really wish the band wouldn't have played like more then half the tracks at festivals, it just gave away the album. I wanted surprise, and to hear everything new all at one time, not over the course of three months. I really hope they make a turn around with their sound, because they are starting to be just like all the rock bands out there. For anyone who finds this offensive, don't. We all have our own thoughts, some of us loved the album, and I am the few that hated it. Coldplay, you guys really let me down, and you don't have much time before I leave for good. My final rating for the album 3 out of 10.

Well you are entitled to your opinion and you sure stuck it to them :P

Really? I actually find U.F.O. extremely boring. There's absolutely nothing memorable about it.

I think U.F.O. stands out more than it should because it's basically a "breather" between the incredibly divisive tracks that surround it, and for people like me who hate those divisive tracks in question, it is extremely welcome. However, it feels like it would have been a B-side on an older album, and I think UATW is a far more memorable acoustic number.

I've listened like 10times to MX already and here are my fav tracks.

1.UWTB

The rest of the tracks is not like listening to Coldplay,most of it is ofcourse cooler then most of the tracks that you hear on MTV,let's hope Coldplay stops making albums IF they go on like this.

Here's my review of the Mylo Xyloto:

Mylo Xyloto 7/10

Still a great sound, although i actually prefer the live version

Hurts Like Heaven 9/10

I really like the editing to this song, it sets the tone for the rest of the album

Paradise 10/10

This song (along with others) sounds much better in context, truly suprised me how much more i liked it in the album than on its own.

Charlie Brown 9/10

Great riff, great track, and the piano at the end is fantastic

Us Against the World 10/10

One of my favorites from the festivals and the addition of the electric guitar in the beginning was a nice touch

MMIX 8/10

It sets up ETIAW very nicely

Every Teardrop is a Waterfall 9/10

Once again, I felt this song was better in context

Major Minus 10/10

Maybe its because I'm not listening to it by itself, but I heard some differences in this version, and I liked it

UFO 10/10

This was a throwback, something straight out of Parachutes, I give Coldplay credit for sticking to their roots. Also the beat at the end was phenominal

Princess of China 8/10

I didn't like this one on the first listen by itself, yet after the flow from UFO, this song sounded much better and Rhianna's part was done well

Up in Flames 9/10

The bass at first kinda threw me off, but once the piano started, it was a really great song

A Hopeful Transmission 6/10

I felt this transition was redundant and I "hoped" for a lot more out of this/ Granted it was very short but I was expecting a completely different sound. The transition from UiF to AHT was the only thing that threw me off. I feel like they need one more song in between those to make the transition a little better.

Don't Let It Break Your Heart 9/10

Really great tune, very upbeat and joyful.

Up with the Birds N/A

I feel like just giving this song a 10/10 doesn't do it justice for what i felt after it ended. I gave 4 other perfect scores to songs but those combined don't even come close to this song. My favorite lines were "send me up to that wonderful world / and then im up withhhh...the birds" and "A simple plot / but I know one thing / good things are coming our way / ohh yeahhh" then the piano fade out. I was completely speechless when the song ended.

Mylo Xyloto 10/10 ----- Overall best Coldplay album ever

My review, ladies and gents :)

Mylo Xyloto- Good solid intro, nothing more or less. Makes me think of Christmas.:smug:

Hurts Like Heaven- Its a fantastic fast and a dancey 80's synth melody. A lot of people had problems with his vocals...but I kinda like them, they fit the song. I hope they make this song a single :dance: One of my favorites of the album. Makes me wanna dance.

Paradise- I've always liked this one, however, I'm having trouble hearing it after HLH. The placement of this one is just odd.

Charlie Brown- Its definitely the most Coldplay song of the album. Its also the most "anthem"-y of the album.:guitarist: Its loud, uplifting, and embarrassingly pretty(the ending :dazzled:)

Us Against the World- I quite like this one, reminds me of the old un-processed Coldplay we used to love. My only problem with the song is the intro, it makes no sense to the acoustic feeling of the song.

MMIX- Just a pointless intro :sleeping::snore:

ETIAW- I've always loved this song. :blush::blush: :dance:

Major Minus- Makes an excellent transition from ETIAW and its easily one of the best tracks in this album :) Jonny finally steps in full blast in this one, and steps away from all the shoegazing in the first songs and emulates The Edge. I love. Interestingly enough, its the only song off the album where I can see the "graffiti" inspiration :thinking:

U.F.O- The melody sounds almost exactly like Major Minus, except this time, its just a simple acoustic guitar melody. Its airy and flows like a light breeze after Major Minus. Its very cute. :P

Princess Of China- Let me start by saying I hate Rhianna:veryangry2:. Hate. Deep hate. Ok, now that I've gotten that out of my chest, I was....very, very surprised :o:o :o:o

Coldplay actually managed to make beautiful yet radio friendly song with Rhianna. I'm not bothered one bit by the synths, her voice, the dance-y hip hop beat or how painfully different it is from everything Coldplay has ever done. I fell in love with this song. :stunned::surprised:

Up in Flames- UGH:sick2::sick2: Awful.:furious: THE worst Coldplay song ever. Honestly, what on earth were they on when they decided that this song was any good? :wreck: :wreck: :wreck:

A Hopeful Transmission- Ah! Sassy intro. I like! :dance:

DLIBYH- ...............so.so.so. pretty! :love: Makes me wanna run around downtown Tokyo while there's fireworks in the sky. Makes me feel in love. :p

A small observation: The U2 influence is very obvious here, this song almost sounds like " City of Blinding Lights".

Up with the Birds- The first 1:32 minutes of the song are horrible....then, at 2:05 :stunned: :o:o WOW. I even said it out loud. Its so ridiculously pretty. The levels of adorable are on par to hugging a Polar Bear. Perfect ending.

Final thoughts? its certainly a good solid album yet its nowhere near perfect. There's no way I can ignore the pitiful awfulness that is Up in Flames. Without that song and if the songs had more substantial lyrics, Coldplay would have perhaps, their best record to date. However, I did enjoy the layering, the loudness of certain songs but above all, how painfully cute/adorable/pretty this album is. In tough times, Coldplay lifts our spirits with pretty songs than makes us smile.

This is a copy of my review from another thread.

I do not post on this forum much these days, but as Mylo Xyloto has leaked I thought I would post my thoughts.

Mylo Xyloto is a colossal yet ingeniously short album opener. I absolutely love the way it slowly builds up the pace and seamlessly kicks into the true album opener, Hurts Like Heaven.

Hurts Like Heaven is fantastic. It couldn’t sound a further apart from its live incarnation but it certainly does hold its own and provides the statement of intent for the rest of the album. Its clicks, techno blips and beeps remind me of Athlete.

Paradise? Its huge synths and bass line now seem not so bad in context with the rest of the album. It is a radio-friendly and non-Coldplay-sounding 4 minutes and 38 second song that will inevitably attract more new fans and eject a few old fans too.

Charlie Brown. It is Coldplay, but then again it isn’t. This song has been around for three or so years. If you listen carefully you can hear the largely acoustic song that it once was, to fit on a once promised acoustic album that failed to materialise. At times it feels as though it has been fleshed out to suit the style of Mylo Xyloto, I kind of wish they’d kept it for an acoustic sixth album.

Us Against the World is lovely. It is quite an important song for me because it was decided a while ago, after playing a live performance of it to my fiancé, that this would be the song that is played during our ‘first dance’ at out wedding reception. On first listen the thirty seconds had us worried, as we’re used to just Chris and the guitar, however our worries were allayed following an amazingly simple and untouched recording of this soon to be classic song.

M.M.I.X. It’s an instrumental. It does help to prepare you for ETIAW which I would much prefer to just launching straight into its dance-synth tomfoolery after such a beautiful song.

Every Teardrop is a Waterfall. You either love it or you want it to die a slow and painful death. I did hate it, but after hearing it as part of this album I am starting to enjoy it. I particularly like the last 59 seconds. OooooooOOOoooooh! And so on.

Major Minus. After hearing the live performance a few months ago I was very disappointed with the studio recording. It’s the vocal and composition of instruments. It sounds over-produced and loses that raw edge that you get with it being played live. It is GPASUYF’s ugly step-sister.

U.F.O. So, during Major Minus I got talking to my fiancé about how Coldplay will probably never go back to their ‘Parachutes’ sound and how UATW is probably a nod to all those fans who have stuck with them since the late 90s. U.F.O. starts up and we both look at each other and laugh. Where the fuck did this beautiful gem come from? It is more Prospekt’s March than Parachutes but I love it all the same. I got goosebumps.

Princess of China is fucking cool. It is such a contrast to the previous track and I believe its placing on the album is for that exact reason. It has incredibly sharp synths that could cut through just about anything. Rihanna is not as prominent on the song as I have been made to believe after reading some of the user reviews on this form.

Up In Flames builds up to something special, but it takes an age to get there. Is it too repetitive? Is it too whiny? You be the judge. I absolutely love the last line ‘Can we pour some water on?’ Stunning.

A Hopeful Transmission helps to remind you that you’re listening to Mylo Xyloto. It’s a wonderfully short instrumental piece that mirror’s the opening track ‘Mylo Xyloto’ but in a playful breezy fashion.

Don’t Let It Break Your Heart is my least favourite track. Stuffy. Bloated. I can only describe it as album filler. I cannot see that it serves any other purpose. It’s as if Chris and the gang decided that they needed another Lovers in Japan. This could have been left off.

Up With The Birds. I was pleasantly surprised with this song. It is the perfect end to the album. This album’s 42, but in two parts and actually good. An uplifting end to the album with some beautiful sounds, some weird some not so weird.

So after three years I have heard Mylo Xyloto. The 5th album from my favourite band that I’ve loved since 1999. Parachutes is my favourite album, closely followed by AROBTTH. X&Y and VLVODAAHF were never great, but they do exist and I have listened to them countless times. I guess part of being a fan of the band is to go along for the ride. See what happens. You get some great albums and some not so great. Mylo Xyloto is in my opinion a great album.