✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Did Brian Eno improve Coldplay's music?

sirajlyons

Now answer this question, what if Ken Nelson (there old producer) was never fired, what would Coldplay be like right now?

They'd still be working with very rigid song patterns (verse-chorus-verse-chorus) and they would have overused most of their tricks. At this stage, Brian Eno is what the band needed to stay fresh

Eno is a mastermind. He didn't quite do for them what he did for U2 or even Bowie, but he certainly saved them with VLV after they got some backlash from X&Y. He made them try new things. I feel like he didn't have as much of an impact on MX, anyone who's heard some other albums he's produced should agree with me.

Eno is a mastermind. He didn't quite do for them what he did for U2 or even Bowie, but he certainly saved them with VLV after they got some backlash from X&Y. He made them try new things. I feel like he didn't have as much of an impact on MX, anyone who's heard some other albums he's produced should agree with me.

Brian Eno is a legend but his production skills have steadily been declining since his involvement on Acthung Baby. I attribute it to age.

Definitely. And he didn't even produce this album, he was more like, in Chris's words, a Dumbledore (:dazzled:) who gave them clues or ideas. Chris even said that some of the most Eno sounding stuff on MX came from the band themselves, and not from Brian.

I think without him they would have released X&Y The Third by now.

I think Eno's input on Viva La Vida was absolutely extraordinary. After X&Y the band definitely needed somebody to come in and change things up a bit and he did that extremely well. Eno focused the band and LP4 probably would have been as much as a mess as X&Y was, maybe even more so without him.

On MX though I think he hindered the band's progress by insisting on all those beeps and sound effects. It could have been partly his idea to move away from the acoustic album which was a bad move in my opinion. For LP6 I think the band should try making the album without his input and go for a more acoustic approach. It's probably the most logical next step for them.

And yeah I know that one of the reasons to scrap the acoustic thing was because they thought it wouldn't be exciting live but at this point I think they need to learn from what Radiohead did with Kid A and forget about what it would sound like live and just make a fantastic record.

Yes, because I think he improved their sound and made them write music from a new prospective. And I think that the caustic album idea was quite unoriginal.

I really love the production on MX (the vocal effects and all those agree make the songs even more interesting) so I'd keep him as the producer for at least other two albums.

Oh, and for me Eno is the Mozart of our times :cool:

I think Coldplay work better under pressure, regardless of producer. A Rush of Blood to the Head was made under pressure to better Parachutes, and Viva was made under pressure to become a better band, and those two are the two best albums.

Mylo Xyloto is the sound of Coldplay being as comfortable as they've ever been. Sloppy? Complacent? Maybe. But that's down to the band.

Eno's Magic

Both MX and VLV are very different to Parachutes and Rush of Blood to the Head. The band even said that they would like to explore their music at little more and having all of the albums yes the last two are different but you do have to move on.

Coldplay have changed for the better but again that is my biased opinion as it is.

I think it's good that Coldplay got some advice on synths and effects and so on.

Because the way they used them on VLV and MX is in my opinion far better than on X & Y.

Musically I think he made in some aspects better: I love Jonny on HLH, and I think the new influences on Paradise and PoC are cool and new.

But UFO or Up with the Birds are not really that much of an improvement over Amsterdam, Trouble, The Scientist or DAAHF.

But I still like his influence, especially for the fact he made their albums so good as a whole.