✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[18-Apr-2012] Coldplay @ Scotiabank Saddledome, Calgary, AB, Canada

Jenjie

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EPIC CONCERT!!!!

Just got home from the show.. Had pretty awesome seats on the floor Row 7.

Just heard about the slashing now. :( There were no security checks for our group. THey only looked through backpacks, but no patdowns or anything like that..

Good to hear you had a great time, looking forward to reading your report if you make one.

And if there were any changes to the setlist that was posted in this thread.

Was Life is for Living played?

Tash, here's another review

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/110583/calgary-chills-out-with-coldplay-review-and-photo-gallery/

(I don't know how to make it nice with the picture and all, lol)

Calgary chills out with Coldplay

coldplay1.jpg?w=618&h=408&crop=1

Coldplay lead singer Chris Martin at Wednesday night's concert at the 'Dome.

Most bands leave the confetti to their finales.

Not Coldplay.

The best-selling British band blew their load, so to speak, two songs into their 90-minute set at the Saddledome Wednesday night.

As a blizzard of brightly coloured confetti fell around him, Coldplay frontman Chris Martin sang In My Place from 2002’s A Rush of Blood to the Head, darting back and forth across the stage and down the catwalk into the middle of the adoring crowd.

For any other act, it would have been a sensational closing number.

But Coldplay was just getting going.

How does a band follow up dumping two tonnes of cropped paper material on their fans’ heads, you ask?

Well, releasing a dozen or so globe beach balls the next song wasn’t a bad start. And smacking them upside the head with hit after mighty hit proved fairly successful as well.

From recent singles such as Every Teardrop is a Waterfall and Princess of China from their latest release, Xylo Myloto to mid-career favourites Violet Hill and The Scientist to their first chart hit, Yellow, Coldplay wowed the 15,000-strong audience and delivered exactly what they wanted and, frankly, expected.

The quartet made great use out of the space, making sure even those in the upper sections felt as if they had the best seats in the house.

Five large, round screens, which projected both the band and the crowd, were placed around the venue and the backdrop featured an interesting array of graffiti.

But it was the dazzling light show that really made an impression.

Fans were given wristbands, which lit up at certain times, making for a brilliant effect. The audience was literally part of the lighting design.

Martin’s heartbreakingly beautiful falsetto was in fine form during slower numbers, but when he bounced around during more upbeat songs he tended to become breathy.

It’s small criticism, however. Martin’s energy was infectious a

nd the crowd hung onto his every note.

Although Martin is the most recognizable of the group – rounded out by guitarist Jonny Buckland, bassist Guy Berryman and drummer Will Champion – he never hogged the spotlight. Coldplay make sure they play music as a whole.

It’s been a few years since Coldplay last played Calgary and on Wednesday night they showed us why we’ve missed them.

Attendance 15,000 Sold Out

Four Stars

link

Photos

coldplay4.jpg?w=618&h=408&crop=1

coldplay6.jpg?w=618&h=408&crop=1

coldplay7.jpg?w=618&h=408&crop=1

coldplay9.jpg?w=618&h=408&crop=1

coldplay10.jpg?w=618&h=408&crop=1

coldplay12.jpg?w=618&h=408&crop=1

coldplay13.jpg?w=618&h=408&crop=1

coldplay15.jpg?w=618&h=408&crop=1

That. was. so. fun.

It was very hit-oriented (I guess as expected, it's the MX tour anyway) but man. Could not stop singing along. Bravo. Warning sign was a nice little surprise there. I was hoping for Politik but it never came :( but hey. I'd go over and over again. When that live DVD comes out, I will be abusing it a lot.

Good to hear you had a great time, looking forward to reading your report if you make one.

And if there were any changes to the setlist that was posted in this thread.

Was Life is for Living played?

Hmm.. I'm willing to do a review, but it's pretty late here and i'm pretty exhausted from the day's activities. Maybe tomorrow.

Warning sign was played, and Chris messed up the 2nd verse i think, and re-did the song.. haha

Life is for living was unfortunately not played from what i remember.. but they did play lovers in Japan! :D

Alright. Goodnight for now :)

Two slashed at Coldplay concert in Calgary[/url]

Two slashed at Coldplay concert in Calgary

CALGARY - Two males have been taken to hospital, one in serious condition, after both were slashed in the neck.

The incident happened inside the Saddledome at about 10:40 p.m. Wednesday, as a Coldplay concert was winding down.

One of the patients was taken by paramedics to Foothills Medical Centre with serious injuries, while the other was taken to Rockyview General Hospital with “less serious” injuries, police said.

“There have been a number of people detained at the scene and our members are interviewing them to ascertain what happened,” said duty inspector Craig Skelton.

link

-----------------

Coldplay concert turns violent

Two men had their throats cut Wednesday night as what was supposed to be a good time at a Coldplay concert turned violent.

Police and paramedics were called to the Saddledome shortly after 10:30 p.m. by venue security.

“We found two (adult) male victims that appeared to have suffered slash wounds to their throats,” said Insp. Craig Skelton of the Calgary Police Service.

Both men were taken to hospital, one in serious but not life-threatening condition and the other with less severe injuries.

“(We’re) not sure if it was a fight or an assault or what happened.”

Skelton believes the incident happened inside the Saddledome. A number of people have been detained as police investigate.

link

OK, setlist!

Thanks ColdplayKen for posting the photo link :)

300px-Setlist_180412.jpg

Setlist according to setlist.fm (minus Life Is For Living):

1 Mylo Xyloto

2 Hurts Like Heaven

3 In My Place

4 Major Minus

5 Lovers In Japan

6 The Scientist

7 Yellow

8 Don't Let It Break Your Heart

9 Violet Hill

10 God Put A Smile Upon Your Face

11 Princess of China

12 Up in Flames

13 Warning Sign

14 Viva La Vida

15 Charlie Brown

16 Paradise

17 Us Against the World

18 Clocks

19 Fix You

20 Every Teardrop is a Waterfall

Photos and Thoughts: Coldplay in concert!

When I think of a monumental moment in my life, I’m probably supposed to think about things like graduation, babies and wedding days. Well so far, only one of those has happened and so I become forced to consider other things to make up those moments, which quite frankly, is okay by me.

So, because writing is essentially my life, many of my life’s monumental moments have been moments that I could never even picturing happening. Things that still give me chills when I think about them, even if they happened years, months or days ago. In my recent memory, one of those moments saw me standing in the middle of a bullring in Madrid, Spain, lightly falling rain fell in between thousands of paper butterflies descended upon the crowd of 25,000 people. Better yet, the music of a live Coldplay concert was penetrating my ears and I couldn’t be happier. You probably wouldn’t believe me, but at that moment I told myself, “Do not ever forget this, this is perfect.” It was a moment that I thought could never be relived, something that I might tell my hypothetical kids, years after my hypothetical wedding.

Well tonight, it happened again and this time, it was in my city of Calgary.

Coldplay, which of course includes Chris Martin, Guy Berryman, Jonny Buckland and Will Champion, rolled into town tonight, which was only the second stop on their North American Mylo Xyloto tour and the minute you walked into the Saddledome, you could tell the audience was stoked. Sure the band has their naysayers, but I’ve never been one of them and even if there were a few of them in the crowed tonight, I guarantee that the they left the stadium a converted person. Do you know what, I’m almost jealous of those who became new fans tonight, because there was probably no better concert experience for them to see the band in all their glory. Coldplay’s presence and sheer force on the stage is undeniable, but long time fans have known that for a while.

Just like Every Tear Drop is a Waterfall, every minute of the concert was an experience. Starting with the specially programmed wrist bands that light up throughout the show, timed to the beat of the music or the roar of the crowd. At times, the light show it caused was so stunning, it was as if we were in a jar of really brightly coloured fireflys. For some, it was probably one of those moments that I mentioned earlier. The lights and their spectacle were really the fifth member of the band and while the show was doused in lights, it never took away from the concert for a minute.

Stripped down on their quieter songs, the band is just as engaging. Their energy is addictive and caused the audience to stand on their feet for the entire concert, if you’ve never been to a Calgary concert, then you don’t know how much of a feat that is. Speaking of feet, Martin and the band put theirs to good work, crisscrossing the stage and even the stadium, no doubt to ensure that even the fans in the nosebleeds felt that they had their own up close and personal experience with Coldplay, something that many bands would never even think to do.

The show itself, didn’t differ that much from a few months ago in Spain, but why would it have too? Whether you’re a new fan of Coldplay, or you’ve made out to your fair share of the band’s rock ballads, this is a must see concert. This is the concert that you will talk about when you share your favourite concert stories, this is the concert that you will compare all other concerts to and the cool thing about this show, is I think Coldplay will remember it just as much as we did.

http://mikesbloggityblog.com/2012/04/photos-and-thoughts-coldplay-in-concert.html

They say that music has the magical ability to make you travel and I feel like Coldplay achieved that tonight. I have loved this band for more than 7 years now. They never seem to disappoint with their music and today was the first time that I saw them at live. There is no words to describe how i felt during and after the concert. “Wow” is not enough, “spectacular” doesn’t quite grasp it, while “amazing” seems to undermine it. I think I fell in love with them all over again! From the moment when they opened the show till the moment when they ended their last song, I didn’t feel like I was in Calgary anymore. I don’t even think there is a place that can describe it. The colorful flashing bracelets, the beach balls, the confetti, even the mistakes, and especially the energy level made this the night to remember. It felt personal, it wasn’t as if you were at a concert with thousands of people but at a gathering while listening to one of your friends singing. Coldplay managed to make it special! It wasn’t as if we were a stop on a world tour but as we were the only destination that they were playing for. In a really stressful week with lots of overnight studying, Coldplay made me forget all about that. School didn’t matter, nothing did. All I cared about was enjoying the music and that I did, without a doubt.

I loved the way they played some old hits. It reminded me of what I originally felt when I first heard Coldplay on the radio. They sound amazing live! I am serious Chris Martin has sooooo much energy, that watching him jump up and down made me feel tired but I loved every single part of it! He feels the music and that shows. They do not disappoint! If you have to go to at least one concert on your life, make sure it is a Coldplay concert! Trust me you will not be disappointed whatsoever.

Goodnight people and dream of paradise (see what I did there?)

I know that was cheesy….

http://whitneyzrules.wordpress.com/2012/04/19/coldplay-in-calgary/

we do not have any videos yet of Lovers in Japan or another (hopefully better) video of DLIBYH?

Dear MXHLH, it's 5:41 AM in Calgary. Just be patient, those videos will be uploaded sooner or later :)