✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[27-Apr-2012] Coldplay @ HP Pavilion, San Jose, CA, USA

Jenjie

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there last night! Hilariously, it looks like Tash got a photo from Twitter on the previous page of the thread, so I won't bother posting it again. (iPhone photos from the upper deck don't add that much anyway, right?)

Man, what an incredible show. This was my 7th time seeing Coldplay, and it easily was the best. The setlist was generally spot on (I don't love Major Minus...and I think it could use more Parachutes and X&Y) and the visuals were just astounding. As everyone has said, seeing the Xylobands on film do nothing compared to actually seeing them in person.

I'm pretty convinced that Charlie Brown with Xylobands is the single greatest live performance moment I've ever seen.

Going tonight and sitting in section 117. Any comments on sitting on the side of the stage? Can't wait!!

I was in that section last night. I thought the view was pretty great, even though I wasn't able to really see the stage visuals properly. The great thing is that the band acknowledges all sections, even the ones behind the stage. I can't really tell you anything about the sound (since I have nothing to compare it to, having been at the HP Pavilion only once) but it wasn't bad.

I hope that was informative. :sweatdrop: Have an amazing time tonight!

Yellow

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q_ABQXDGyg[/ame]

Paradise

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-nP7epwwcU[/ame]

Clocks

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma4Fonw6MW0[/ame]

Viva La Vida

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q02PHwkYCtA[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4McZKX7bcI[/ame]

MX/Hurts Like Heaven/In My Place

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbfN9y-h04w[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=77J3xwAtKtQ[/ame]

Major Minus

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=GecdkAqqQmo[/ame]

The Scientist

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjr0P9C6lI8[/ame]

MX/Hurts Like Heaven/In My Place

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZNdzSjJZMc[/ame]

Lovers In Japan/The Scientist

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvHo_Vk9pKI[/ame]

DLIBYH

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlCOxb_v0Mw[/ame]

Fix You/ETIAW

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQHqN_Q-NLA[/ame]

ETIAW

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SqYk33ea1I[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tSsFr_1auo[/ame]

MX/Hurts Like Heaven

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=2idnknNdw5E[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb9GOxciPcM[/ame]

Paradise

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-nP7epwwcU[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FUxm6C0eRM[/ame]

Viva La Vida

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q02PHwkYCtA[/ame]

Us Against The World

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SIypNQdBU8[/ame]

Us Against The World/Clocks

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnIFKeogbGs[/ame]

Clocks

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma4Fonw6MW0[/ame]

Charlie Brown

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UqCpqHi7WE[/ame]

In My Place

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3MEnaHN7sw[/ame]

Yellow

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOoxQjSGFmA[/ame]

Princess Of China

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRHRuVYpebY[/ame]

DLIBYH

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7WEd_g_q_4[/ame]

Ok, here are my pictures and videos. There are a lot of pics of Chris because I was right next to the ramp, which he came down a lot:

DSCN0159.jpg

DSCN0154.jpg

DSCN0151.jpg

DSCN0147.jpg

DSCN0160.jpg

DSCN0161.jpg

DSCN0162.jpg

DSCN0164.jpg

DSCN0173.jpg

DSCN0178.jpg

DSCN0186.jpg

DSCN0184.jpg

DSCN0180.jpg

DSCN0198.jpg

DSCN0199.jpg

DSCN0202.jpg

DSCN0215.jpg

DSCN0212.jpg

DSCN0227.jpg

DSCN0226.jpg

DSCN0225.jpg

DSCN0221.jpg

DSCN0217.jpg

DSCN0235.jpg

DSCN0234.jpg

DSCN0228.jpg

DSCN0245.jpg

DSCN0244.jpg

DSCN0260.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9dV2mXvlbQ]Coldplay ~ Princess Of China 04/27/12 San Jose, CA - YouTube[/ame]

^^ Sorry about the beginning of this one, I was still trying to figure out to work my camera lol

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0REAfWYKEI]Coldplay ~ Up In Flames 04/27/12 San Jose, CA - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIimp-Ucxis]Coldplay ~ Warning Sign 04/27/12 San Jose, CA - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaSYZecIQPU]Coldplay ~ Charlie Brown 04/27/12 San Jose, CA - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0pUorl93Ko]Coldplay ~ Us Against The World San Jose, CA 04/27/12 - YouTube[/ame]

Blog:

Friday we high tailed it with Caitlin and Cyrous to San Jose to see Coldplay at the HP Pavilion. Their concerts are always so colorful and full of fun interactive surprises. We were pretty high up in the stands, but this is such a great venue, that they had huge monitors so you can see everything, even though they are the size of ants if you were to see them where we were seated. Maybe Coldplay brought these monitors as part of their concert, I"m not sure, but they were wonderful to have. Chris Martin was really having fun at our concert. There were beach balls coming down from the ceiling and more and more confetti. We were given these bracelets while we had dinner at the Pavilion, and the person said that they were part of the show, and to wear them through out. They some how activated everyones bracelet at certain times of the concert, and it was so pretty to see all of the twinkling lights! Well done Coldplay! Another thing Chris Martin and the band seems to like to do, is to surprise the audience by some how going to the back of the arena and mingle with the poor people, like us that aren't close to the stage. They popped up back here and the lights flipped on to reveal the band on one of the staircase landings. Lots of fun, and I remember they did this at the last concert, and we were super lucky that time, because they were next to us! [thanks Gossamer Wings http://elizabeth-mackey.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/coldplay-fun.html ]

Blog:

Coldplay: Colorful

Literally. And, honestly, there aren’t many other ways to describe the Coldplay concert in San Jose on Friday night. At times, I felt I was inside a massive arena-sized kaleidoscope of spinning, twirling, flashing colors. The band had distributed thousands of multicolored wrist-bands at the entrances which were controlled with a cheap plastic radio signal so when the band took the stage and during carious songs throughout the night, the entire audience lit up like a human piñata. During the opening number, "Hurts Like Heaven," massive plumes of colored confetti rained over the audience and the arena crowd looked a bit like a multi-layered cake covered with candy sprinkles and the stage looked like it was painted by a graffiti artist. The spectacle almost created a sensory overload. In fact, after the first two songs, I thought the band had nowhere else to go.

I have frequently denigrated Coldplay’s music. Some have called it ‘weepy chick rock’ or music that forgot the melody (or stole it). I have called Coldplay ‘excellent background music’ which is a pretty harsh indictment. Much of it is free from the usual hooks of pop-music which is both a strength and weakness. However, the extravagant lightshow was well-adapted to big, open cinematic sound and large crescendos that characterize most of CP’s music. So, the night was quite a bit of fun and only enhanced by my concert-going companions. All of whom had great suggestions for this MV&R entry but which were lost at a Café Leila breakfast.

Nevertheless, there were many favorite moments including the release of dozens of giant beach balls from the rafters of the arena, "Yellow," the first encore song being played from the back of the arena before the band sprinted back to the stage through the crowd, large tear-shaped psychedelic colored balloons that lit up around the upper level during the song, “Every Tear is a Waterfall.” Our seats were rather high up in the front row of the upper deck but this also gave us a wonderful, unobstructed vantage point for the entire concert.

I would not consider myself a Coldplay-convert after the live experience which I was assured was a religious experience. But, I can better appreciate why others adore the band. I still find the music a bit forgettable but the band puts a huge amount of energy and effort into pleasing their audience. So, I would definitely recommend the concert and for real CP-fans, I am sure that it will be a great experience.

http://musicalviewsandreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/coldplay-colorful.html

Blog:

out cold(play) “Put on your wristbands; they’re part of the show.” Every few minutes, the circular screens would flash these words, eliciting an eruption of cheering, screaming, and hand-waving. My boyfriend Ben and I had been awaiting this moment with tranquility, meanwhile enjoying the opening acts of bands The Pierces and Metronomy. We’d made the drive down to San Jose through a stressful onslaught of Friday afternoon traffic; thankfully, our impatience had subsided. Personally, however, I’d convinced myself that this was just a concert despite adoring the main attraction for a decade. I’d forgotten that the music was buried within me, residing comfortably beside the high school memories I cherish beyond all others. I’d lulled myself into a false sense of disinterest. I suppose I was under the impression that I was about to be let down, as if that was ever possible. As I watched the members of Coldplay assemble onstage, I realized that I had forgotten the emotions that albums like Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head had stirred in the deepest center of my being. And suddenly, as the sounds began to swell, the stadium was glowing with the intensity of a million strands of Christmas lights, and all those feelings returned to me. Instantly. It’s difficult for me to accurately express the awe I felt in that moment, when the wristbands lit up in a flurried rainbow of excitement. Invisible canons fired waves of colorful confetti while Chris Martin leaped across stage with a controlled energy. The lead singer belted out Mylo Xloto hits “Hurts Like Heaven,” “Every Teardrop is a Waterfall,” “Princess of China,” and “Charlie Brown,” in addition to classics like “Viva La Vida,” and a heart-wrenching “The Scientist.” Martin’s endearing stumble through ”Warning Sign” created that unique performer-audience bond as he cussed and claimed that he’d almost had it. At points during the concert, he collapsed onto the stage as the lights dimmed. It was as if the high spirits were tangible weights bearing down on him at all times. There was always a smile on his face, however, like the exhaustion was a triumph. The band appeared in the stands for their encore, entering one by one throughout the song “Us Against the World.” Martin addressed the audience first, asking for due applause when each member arrived on the platform. Their finale continued back on the main stage, where they performed “Clocks” and topped it all off with “Paradise.” Martin’s passionate singing and the band’s appreciation for their fans was overwhelming. They thanked each and every one of us for shelling out the cash to attend their show in such harsh economic times. But Coldplay truly made it worth the while, going the extra mile to include their audience within the performance. April the 27th will go down in my book as one of the memorable nights to date. I wanted to live in those hours forever, but I knew that it would end all too soon and that I’d be recounting it longer than I felt it. It was almost like I was remembering it as it was happening. Now, I’m afraid I’ll never be able to comprehend all that it was. But I do know that it was not just a concert. It was an experience. [thanks http://modeandthelike.com/2012/3515/ ]