✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2-Jul-2012] Coldplay @ Philips Arena, Atlanta, GA, USA

Jenjie

I had a great time working with Oxfam and seeing the show. I actually wrote a post for the Coldplay on Tour blog, so that should be up sometime soon! :) I was the team leader for Team Atlanta, so I had to be there at 3:30. My mom and my friend came with me because Oxfam America sent me two big boxes to deliver to Rachel full of extra supplies, and there was no way I could carry them from the car by myself. We took them to Rachel and went inside and got everything set up. Coldplay's people were doing their sound check but the band wasn't there. Eventually I got to go backstage with Rachel to put the extra supplies in her tour case and get the tablets. That was really exciting, but I didn't see anyone from the band, just the roadies.

Soon we went outside to meet up with the rest of Team Atlanta. Then we had a meeting where we met each other and learned about Oxfam and what we were doing that night. Then it was time to go inside and get ready! We found our groups of 2 or 3 and some people dressed up as food. Once the doors opened at 5:30 everyone went out to talk to fans about Oxfam and take their pictures with food! The photo booth was really cool and I love how we were using tablets which made it a lot more fun I think.

At around 8:15 everyone began coming back to the booth to enter in their emails that were written down and clean everything up. This group was great and everyone found something to do! 2 people in our team even got the most signatures so far on the tour! We also took a picture of me, Rachel, my friend Annette and Russ because the 3 girls were super short and Russ was so tall and we all dressed up as food!

After we were all packed up, Rachel gave out the tickets. I ended up at first not getting one that was near my mom or one of my friends, so we helped Rachel take everything backstage and waited outside the production office while she found us new tickets. We were backstage 5 minutes before the show was to start and were pretty excited because we didn't know if a band member might walk by us since we passed by the "Coldplay Friends and Family" signs. We didn't see anyone but we talked to the security guard down there (who didn't even know who Coldplay was!). Rachel came back out and said the best words ever: "I hope you don't mind but I got you floor seats!" AWESOME! We were very excited and had to go so we could get to them! We said our goodbyes and thank you's to Rachel and rode the elevator back upstairs. We found our seats maybe a minute before the lights went out!

The show started and was amazing as always. We were right next to the X on Guy's side. I got A LOT of pictures and it was just so awesome to be right where Chris was running around. When Vivia La Vida started, Rachel came and found us and took a picture of us with Chris behind us. How awesome is that? She's pretty much the best.

The rest of the show was great, Coldplay ran right by us on their way back from the C stage and the girl next to me let/helped me stand up on my chair so I could see and get video of them running by.

She also helped me get up at the end when they were bowing. I love it when people help the shorties out at concerts!

After the concert we sat down and waited for the big rush of the crowd to leave before we started moving, and I scooped up a ton of confetti!

The Xylobands were SO COOL. I knew they would look neat, but when you're there it's just a million times better. I got video of them lighting up, so I'll post the videos later.

Here are my pictures on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3595845250938.2141476.1117650376&type=3&l=a02b61ea88

Those are the best of the best because I took over 700 pictures.. whoops!

This marked my 9th Coldplay concert, 4th time volunteering with Oxfam and 2nd time being the Team Leader. Maybe the 10th time I'll meet Coldplay? :)

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris was in great form, the jumps were spot on. A few times he came in my corner and we locked eyes 2x I thought. I was singing my soul out.

Unfortunately, the show was over just like that. I couldn't wait around to meet the band b/c I was all alone and taking public transportation to my car. I hugged and thanked my new friend Brett for an unbelievable and unforgettable night and we parted ways. He had a much better camera and has promised to email me the pictures.

I made my way to the train station where I found another guardian angel who again took very good care of me upon finding out I had no idea where I was going. This was a young woman in her early 30s. She took me by the hand and ordered me to stand next to her and to not worry about a thing. Where we could have changed trains 2x, Marta decided to make it easy on us and open a line that is usually closed after 7pm. Good will all around.

I arrived home after midnight, all tired, with no voice but in great spirit.

My pictures are shit but I'll try and post a couple of decent ones and will post more 1x my friend Brett emails me.

Coldplaymom, it was like reading a made for TV movie script, reading the account of your concert day! Heck, I got stoked up for the show in Charlotte Tuesday night just by reading of your experiences :D My wife and I are in our 50's and we accompanied our 29 year old daughter and son-in-law to the concert. Our daughter was already at the arena by the time my wife and I left the house. We rode into central Charlotte on the light rail system (CATS) and I can relate to your experience based on ours. We met some delightful younger folks who made us feel right at home once they found out we were Coldplay fans on our way to the concert.

With each stop, we'd pick up a new set of fans on their way to the arena. I didn't have to guess who was going... Coldplay fans have an aura about them that's especially noticeable on concert day :cool: I've been attending concerts since 1972, but there is nothing that sniffs the caliber of people who are Coldplay fans! Anyway, thanks for sharing the account of your day and your photos. I can't tell you how much of a positive influence your story was on us, thinking that we were too *old* to go to a Coldplay concert. We both probably behaved like we were in our mid-20's again once the concert got going :laugh3:

Anyone aware of what the first 3 rows were used for?

Two of my best friends got upgraded to the front row!!!!! I'm not joking!!!!! They got there at 5:00 and were sitting at the top of 407 and someone came up to them and told them to sing a Coldplay song and they got upgraded to FRONT ROW!!!!!!!! I saw them after and they told me and I was all like "OMFG THATS SO AWESOME!!!!!!"

wow that was an amazing what you guys did greeneyes :)

One thing i have learnt from going to concerts is that, if you have nosebleed seats, or too far away, dont give up lol. We kept getting told it was a sold out concert. You just never know who you might meet. Walk around, make new friends, its easier to bond as we were all there for one purpose. You just never know who might let you stand next to them. Towards concert time when everyone is standing, no one notices who is on what seat, esp floor level.

Also standing out from the rest will get you upgraded pretty quick :D, get there early, wear something that stands out, show excitement even when you think no one's looking hehe.

Next thing on my bucket list-meet coldplay. sigh

Coldplaymom, it was like reading a made for TV movie script, reading the account of your concert day! Heck, I got stoked up for the show in Charlotte Tuesday night just by reading of your experiences :D My wife and I are in our 50's and we accompanied our 29 year old daughter and son-in-law to the concert. Our daughter was already at the arena by the time my wife and I left the house. We rode into central Charlotte on the light rail system (CATS) and I can relate to your experience based on ours. We met some delightful younger folks who made us feel right at home once they found out we were Coldplay fans on our way to the concert.

With each stop, we'd pick up a new set of fans on their way to the arena. I didn't have to guess who was going... Coldplay fans have an aura about them that's especially noticeable on concert day :cool: I've been attending concerts since 1972, but there is nothing that sniffs the caliber of people who are Coldplay fans! Anyway, thanks for sharing the account of your day and your photos. I can't tell you how much of a positive influence your story was on us, thinking that we were too *old* to go to a Coldplay concert. We both probably behaved like we were in our mid-20's again once the concert got going :laugh3:

I'm one of Coldplay's more "mature" fans, too, but I sure as hell don't feel my age (and people have told me I don't look it either, but they're probably just being nice). I went to my first concert in 1977, the year Chris was born! Dang, I am old.

...where did everyone go who met Chris?! Looks like a parking garage. Sorry if it was covered already and I missed the answer... lol. Anyway I'm not familiar with the area (only my second time in Atlanta) and I wanted to stay late, but my boyfriend wanted to go back to the hotel. I can't blame him... we had to be up really early the next morning to make the 6 hour drive back to Jacksonville to get the rental car back on time, and he was doing all the driving.

I'm seeing them in Boston at the end of this month... luckily since I have no way to get back to Connecticut (where I'll be staying) until 5:30am the next morning, I'll definitely hang around the arena and try to get an autograph or a picture!

This was my 11th time seeing them... I've seen them in 4 other states but I have to say, this was the liveliest crowd of all the shows I've been to, and it's pretty apparent to me why they love playing Atlanta so much :)

Anyway... here's a video I got from Section 309. There's a couple more on my channel too...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8ee337igQM]Coldplay in Atlanta - July 2 2012 - Every Teardrop is a Waterfall - YouTube[/ame]

The visual quality isn't great on the videos I took (I kept handing my camera off to my boyfriend so I could jump around and stuff, plus some people kept walking by us in the middle of the concert... WHY?!? They must not've been aware that Coldplay was on the freakin' stage) but the audio quality is good imo

I'm one of Coldplay's more "mature" fans, too, but I sure as hell don't feel my age (and people have told me I don't look it either, but they're probably just being nice). I went to my first concert in 1977, the year Chris was born! Dang, I am old.

You went to your first concert in 1977? How old were you? 2!? :o Seriously, I had seen your picture in your avatar and with Chris and I thought maybe 36, 37, at the oldest? You mentioned what I think is key to how old you look, and that's how old you feel. I feel like I'm in my late 30's and I'd say I roll like someone of that age. I take care of myself physically as well, but attitude and perception have more to do with it, IMO.

Keep on keeping it young LFDianne (btw, does the LF stand for "Laker Fan"?... just curious). I'm going to give Suzanne Somers your Coldplaying.com user name so she can contact you for some youth preservation tips!

there was a girl and a guy walking around frantically looking for the roadies to answer trivia questions so she could get upgraded. She kept coming up to me while I was standing at the Oxfam booth asking me who to ask. I think she eventually thought it was ME who upgraded people since I knew what she was talking about and knew what some roadies look like. When I started walking around talking to fans for Oxfam she was always around where I was. I told Rachel because she was also looking for Rachel and she said she knew that they had already gave away the upgrades but didn't have the heart to tell her. Crazy. I think it's honestly one of those being in the right place at the right time sort of thing, and to just show how much you love Coldplay and don't 'take a break' from showing your excitement

there was a girl and a guy walking around frantically looking for the roadies to answer trivia questions so she could get upgraded. She kept coming up to me while I was standing at the Oxfam booth asking me who to ask. I think she eventually thought it was ME who upgraded people since I knew what she was talking about and knew what some roadies look like. When I started walking around talking to fans for Oxfam she was always around where I was. I told Rachel because she was also looking for Rachel and she said she knew that they had already gave away the upgrades but didn't have the heart to tell her. Crazy. I think it's honestly one of those being in the right place at the right time sort of thing, and to just show how much you love Coldplay and don't 'take a break' from showing your excitement

I think since Roadie 42 made the "official" announcement that they do upgrades, there will be more people out "looking." Imagine all the disappointed people like her who are just hoping it will happen. I know 2 people who have been upgraded, and it's just such a random thing. Poor Rachel. LOL

Awww! I'm so glad you had a great time. Isn't Coldplay just the best? What a show! It felt like an out of body experience.

wow that was an amazing what you guys did greeneyes :)

One thing i have learnt from going to concerts is that, if you have nosebleed seats, or too far away, dont give up lol. We kept getting told it was a sold out concert. You just never know who you might meet. Walk around, make new friends, its easier to bond as we were all there for one purpose. You just never know who might let you stand next to them. Towards concert time when everyone is standing, no one notices who is on what seat, esp floor level.

Also standing out from the rest will get you upgraded pretty quick :D, get there early, wear something that stands out, show excitement even when you think no one's looking hehe.

Next thing on my bucket list-meet coldplay. sigh

I made tons of friends. I even put my arms around the dude "chris' cousin" who was annoyed with me at the start of the show and sang UATW in his ear. :lol:

I know who you're talking about! Turns out that girl showed up at 11AM with hopes of getting an upgrade. I had to stand with her for over 4 hours because of my showing up at 1:30PM. She said that she knew everything about Coldplay. But, and I don't mean to be vain, she didn't. She couldn't even name all of the boys' names without help. And that boy thought that the first Coldplay song ever was Yellow. Sadly mistaken. When I told them I had seen Phil, they both looked at me with a questioning look. Then, the boy rambled on about how Coldplay have a new fifth member. I hung my head in disappointment.

They were dearies, but far from being Coldplay's biggest fans.

About 7 months ago I begrudgingly purchased tickets to Coldplay – Christmas gifts for my 13 and 15 year old daughters. I liked Coldplay, but not enough to pay close attention to their music or to try to distinguish between their songs, which to me, all sounded similar. Not being the biggest fan of huge, mainstream productions in arenas, I cringed at the thought of going, and continued cringing all the way up until the point that I entered the venue.

Coldplay’s graffiti-inspired Mylo Xyloto set has got to be one of the most vivid backdrops I’ve ever seen – almost to the point of distraction. Adding to the spectacle, upon entering the arena fans were given “Xylobands,” light-up wristbands to wear during the concert. (A quick Google search revealed that the band spends nearly $600,000 per night on these bracelets for the tour.) The wristbands were programmed to light up at certain points throughout the show. I was skeptical at first, but have to admit, it really was pretty cool to see Atlanta’s Philips Arena, lit up with 20,000 lights. In fact, the Xylobands almost stole the show.

About half of the songs on the evening’s set list were from their most recent Mylo Xyloto album. And the other half pretty evenly spread from their older albums. The highlight of the evening was the encore set. Spotlights illuminated a small section of the lower balcony where two rows of about five seats were roped off. One by one, the band members joined Chris Martin in that very small area and performed an acoustic set of “Up Against the World” and “Speed of Sound.” (The only thing that could have made this any cooler was if the band members weren’t wearing matchy-matchy colorful outfits with parachute pants…but I digress.) The encore then continued from the main stage with “Clocks” “Fix You” and “MMIX”. Chris Martin led into “Fix You” with Ray Charles’ “Georgia on My Mind.” The crowd went wild.

The music was much better than expected, and the scenery was spectacular. So over-the top in fact, that every now and then I found myself feeling like I was watching some sort of elaborate Disney concert, or perhaps Coldplay had stolen the Wiggles’ uniforms, but those thoughts were fleeting and overpowered by the fact that, all in all, it was a really good show.

http://www.rarasfarm.com/2012/coldplay-atlanta-concert-review/

Coldplay put a smile upon my face

Last night Jennifer and I went to the Philips Arena to see Coldplay. (Read the Atlanta Journal-Constitution review here.) I have previously blogged about my interest in this great band and I bemoaned the fact that I missed them last year at the return of Music Mid-town to Atlanta.

No matter. All is forgiven by one of the best live concert appearances I have seen...well...ever. It sounds silly and naive to say stuff like that. My daughter is spoiled rotten. She is young so she has little context for seeing and hearing something extraordinary.

On the other hand, you can appreciate the extraordinary in itself even if you are very young. My daughter and her friends were all beaming and excited afterwards. They loved the show and had bright eyes, smiles on their faces. It was a sell out (about 21,000). The crowd was totally in to it and sang along with all the lyrics. Coldplay's fan base is truly fanatical in enormous numbers. Oh yeah, and the music was inspirational fun very well-styled.

Few bands can generate the intensity and generosity of energy and sustain it so tirelessly through over 90 minutes of performance. Coldplay was not perfect last night in their performance. I have seen them do better live versions of certain songs on my Vevo App. But, overall, it is quite amazing how well they execute live musically.

One of the many highlights for Jennifer and me was the bracelets we were given when we arrived. We talked about them before the concert, wondering what they were for. On a half-inch wide band was printed "ColdplayFilm" in the group's special font. (Lots of videoing going on last night. Maybe a video of the tour coming out in the future?) On the other side was the Twitter logo, probably sponsoring the mysterious handout.

Mine was, appropriately for Coldplay, a yellow band. But there were others: pink, blue, white, and green. Fastened to the band was something that looked kind of like a cheap digital watch. Only there was no facing on it. It was just sitting there. No buttons to press. Nothing. There were four small screws underneath where you could take it apart. It did not otherwise open. My own special monolith like in 2001.

Clues were provided about 20 minutes before the show began. On the five large circular video screens suspended from the ceiling of the arena, instructions were given in the Coldplay font. "Please put on your wristband...It is part of the show." This was followed by a funny but cliche standard four-step illustrated instruction on how to fasten the bracelet to your wrist. Repeat the instructions. Apparently everyone complied, I know I blindly did.

Coldplay opened with "Hurts Like Heaven" to the large and revved-up audience, the lights went dark and almost immediately probably 15,000 of these bracelets (I have no idea how many they gave away, not everyone had one) lit up and vibrated and pulsed in various programmed ways controlled by some singular technician. Turns out there were six small LED lites stitched into the thick wristband canvas. Maybe 100,000 little lights.

The results were truly spectacular. From our seats we looked out into the expanse of the Philips Arena and it was filled with these colored bracelets, like rock and roll starlight. All grooving and moving in a thousand different ways. The music was great, the crowd was ready and roaring. It was a magical moment. We all gaped.

I took the afternoon off work to go to Atlanta for the concert. We got down there before the 5pm business traffic hit, had a nice dinner at Mary Mac's, and checked a few neighborhood shops. Traffic was terrible near the arena and it took forever to get in and out of there.

At any rate, before I left work for the day I sent out a "A Short Coldplay Concert Mix" email to my three employees. They had all left for lunch and I sent it last thing before I left. I include it next in this blog because I can save myself some typing for what I want to share with you.

>>>>>

So, OK not trying to be pushy or anything here. I’ll share with you a bit about this concert I am going to with my wife and daughter, her best friend and their boyfriends tonight. If you don’t care for any of this, no biggie. But, I encourage you to at least watch the Viva La Vida clip. (Sorry about the stupid ads in youtube.)

Tonya isn’t as familiar with Coldplay. So, this is an introduction. For Lisa and Leani, this is kinda why they are my favorite contemporary band. There have been greater rock bands but no one is better than Coldplay in this moment. Somewhat surprisingly in this day and age of cranking out the albums to bring in the bucks, Coldplay has produced only 5 studio albums and 1 live album since their first release in 2000.

Some cool (I think so anyway) facts…

•Even though Chris Martin is a huge, strong talent (like Sting was with The Police) the band shares all revenues equally.

•The band has a contract that no member can do “hard drugs” under penalty of banishment from the group.

•Even though it may not sound that way (and this isn’t a main reason for me liking them – I just think it is interesting), there are many examples of Christian influence in their lyrics and songs. Songs such as “Moses”, “God Put a Smile on Your Face”, “Hurts Like Heaven”, etc. “Viva La Vida” has lines regarding “Missionaries in a foreign field” and “I know St. Peter won’t call my name…”

All of these video clips are from a terrific concert they performed worldwide live on the Internet last October from Madrid. The whole concert is like one big sing-along…oh yeah, and it was raining most of the time…

Viva La Vida…my daughter thought it would be uncool to go to a concert with her parents….until I showed her this…

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ldOuVuas1c]Coldplay - Viva La Vida (UNSTAGED) - YouTube[/ame]

The Scientist…my favorite Coldplay song…it has a lot of angst in it…gives them their “edge” though…

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLm_aSP369M]Coldplay - The Scientist (UNSTAGED) - YouTube[/ame]

Yellow was their first hit back in 2000 and shows their Alt Rock origins…

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRP72Ib2e9I]Coldplay - Yellow (UNSTAGED) - YouTube[/ame]

This is a *wild* version of God Put a Smile on Your Face….watch for the Townshend-esque guitar slam at the end…

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHAdbn2e_QQ]Coldplay - God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (UNSTAGED) - YouTube[/ame]

Their most recent hit is Every Teardrop is a Waterfall…this is the finale on their tour playlist in Atlanta as it was in Madrid…watch for the drummer playing the acoustic guitar and switch back to drums…good back-up vocals too, he is a workhorse, great talent…

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGLwhTQsxUw]Coldplay - Every Teardrop is a Waterfall (UNSTAGED) - YouTube[/ame]

There is no such thing as a “bad” Coldplay song…I am going because Coldplay makes me feel good…I plan to get there early and have a couple of beers…of course…See y'all on the backside of the Fourth. Have a great one.

<<<<<

I'll share one other small thing from the concert. The band performed an extended encore which was in two parts. When they first came back out to play - after the usual several minutes of non-stop cheering, facilitated this time by vibrant, rock and roll starlight - they did not return to the main stage. Instead they surprised us by coming out on a tiny, maybe 15-foot stage that had been set up over a few seats opposite the arena stage.

In other words, they performed the first part of their encore cramped together on a platform smaller than most Atlanta clubs would offer their bands. No room to jump around, tightly packed, the band did their thing in close quarters actually in amongst the crowd, giving people who had paid mega-bucks to sit hundreds of feet away from the stage a chance to see them up close.

During this time, the band was not carried by Chris Martin's insatiable energy but rather by the drummer, Will Champion on keyboards (he also plays guitar) and (a rarity) lead vocals. A very nice treat before they all ran through the floor crowd (with heavy security, of course) back to the main stage to powerfully wrap things up.

It is no exaggeration to say these songs were performed pretty much as you can see them in the links above. Only it was live, a feast for eye and ear, tangibly electric...and instead of fireworks at the end (we were indoors after all) there were other great effects including the starlight bracelets.

This concert is with me today, the day after, and it will stay with me for a long time. With any luck at all, I will think back upon it with delight for many years, just as I think back fondly now upon on some college-day concerts. The energy of thousands singing along, the energy of the band loudly rocking through one great tune after another, the energy of all the special concert effects - all of it coalesces in my memory and, well, puts a smile on my face.

Late Note: It turns out the LED wristbands given out during the concert are called Xylobands - after than the name of the tour. A technical view of them can be found here. The end result can be seen here. Luckily, I did not get OCD about finding tour videos on youtube before the concert in Atlanta. So, the xylobands were a surprise. A wonderful surprise.

http://uhmaguhma.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/coldplay-put-smile-upon-my-face.html

Tuesday night I had a fun night planned with Kelly. Back in January I had purchased tickets to see Coldplay and it was finally here.

We actually got there right at 7pm, when the show started and sat through two opening acts. There was an unknown British band, and then Robyn.

Robyn was pretty bizarre. The music is pretty much club/house type, and I'm not sure a venue like Charlotte was really ready for that. I also don't know that it really goes with Coldplay that well.

Anyway, finally around 9pm it was time for the main event. At the entrance we were given wrist bracelets and told to put them on because they were part of the show.

The bracelets glowed in the dark and the band used them for various songs.

They even blinked in time with the music on some of the songs. I love that Coldplay does all kinds of interactive stuff with their audience. They also released giant balls that people were bouncing around, and at one point, they played some songs in the middle of the audience on the lower level, instead of the stage.

We were kind of in the nose-bleed section, pretty far from the stage, but it didn't really matter, it was still really cool to be part of the experience. The place was packed and the energy level of the audience with the band was contagious. We had a great time at the show :)

http://www.lifeinaholdingpattern.com/2012/07/e2-and-coldplay.html

Here is my videos from the concert. Best one ever!

Also during one of the songs near the end, can't remember what one, Chris was on the piano by himself and he stopped and said something what did he say? Did he mess up? He was on the main stage and it was near the end of the show. I think it was after they were done on C-Stage.

Thanks

Also to add on here is a bad picture of when Chris was walking down to C-Stage

417432_3964809955408_597349888_n.jpg

And some other random ones

413582_3966760924181_164722154_o.jpg

335977_3966762884230_1682608164_o.jpg

291692_3966765884305_880982711_o.jpg

177985_3966773124486_820976836_o.jpg

Here is my videos from the concert. Best one ever!

Also during one of the songs near the end, can't remember what one, Chris was on the piano by himself and he stopped and said something what did he say? Did he mess up? He was on the main stage and it was near the end of the show. I think it was after they were done on C-Stage.

Thanks

Also to add on here is a bad picture of when Chris was walking down to C-Stage

417432_3964809955408_597349888_n.jpg

And some other random ones

413582_3966760924181_164722154_o.jpg

335977_3966762884230_1682608164_o.jpg

291692_3966765884305_880982711_o.jpg

177985_3966773124486_820976836_o.jpg

Oh, yeah! He did mess up. Was it during The Scientist when he asked the crowd to sing?