✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[23-Jul-2012] Coldplay @ Air Canada Centre, Toronto, ON, Canada

Jenjie

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:(

it makes me super sad to hear he is hurt or injured. get better soon Chris. he probably hurt himself playing with the kids these past few weeks :)

It might not be an injury, it could possibly be a black band in honor of recent events in Co. OR it could be for an injury, he is getting older you know:lol:

:(

it makes me super sad to hear he is hurt or injured. get better soon Chris. he probably hurt himself playing with the kids these past few weeks :)

From everything I've read, it didn't hamper his movements in any way during the concert last night.

Yeah, here it looks like it was part of the outfit. phew! that's good. introducing new pieces into his style. it looks like a sweatband. it would be awesome to have a coldplay sweatband....:o

It looks like one of those compression support bands for tennis elbow, based on where he is wearing it.

I did. I took my D90 with a 50mm lens. I was asked at the entrance about it and I told them about the "updated camera policy as per twitter" She looked at my like I was speaking martian, but I made it in. The "floor guards" inside were a pain on the butt though. Every time i tried to make a video, some stupid old hen came to scream at me NO VIDEOS! I kept saying duh, look around woman!!! but anyway. I hope I got some good photos/videos, haven't had a chance to develop them yet as I'm at work. But their previews look much better than the few photos I took with my phone. If you are not close to the stage it may be difficult to get good shots without a zoom, but still, I'm glad I brought my camera with my prime lens.

I'm not sure if they will be more vigilant today and perhaps ban DSLRs, considering how annoyed they seemed to be with me. BTW, I saw a few more people with DSLRs last night.

Thanks, I will definitely bring mine now. I got a ticket behind the stage so hopefully they won't bother me. Especially if you got in with one on the floor I should have no problems...hopefully

I asked on the oracle but i never seem to get any answers there...

Anyone have any idea what they play for the pre-show music. Its beautiful post-rocky ambient stuff and I remember loving it LAST time and loved it even more this go around.

Would love to know what it is.

Obviously I knew 99 Problems ;) perfect pump up song!

Had an AMAZING time last night. Non stop dancing and singing throughout the whole concert. Our seats turned out to be like 20 feet from the stage!!!!! WAS INSANE!

Man, I'd say I was dripping with sweat almost more than Chris Martin lol. Xylobands were incredible. Got choked up a couple times, was truly the best night of my life. I've lost my voice as well, and have a hard time chewing lol from all the screaming. Best night ever. Can't wait to see them again. I have a couple pictures I'll upload that my friend took. I didn't take one single picture, I was way too into the show.

coldplay24rv1.JPG

Coldplay and their cult of believers

“We want Coldplay!” someone shouted during a break in Marina and the Diamonds’ lacklustre opening set – to a smattering of applause – at the first of Coldplay’s two Toronto shows at the Air Canada Centre Monday night.

It’s easy to see why. It’s not just because the tinsel-clad Marina emptily twirled her way through a starchy set in front of a crowd that filled up exactly when she left. It’s also because Coldplay has managed to quietly become one of the defining bands of the aughts, an achievement even more impressive because it happened on the strength of just a handful of tracks. Odds are, most of the generation it predominantly defines has likely never heard an entire Coldplay record; their popularity far outstrips the perception of their talent.

The band’s greatest gift is their effortless wide appeal, but they’re also impossible to develop strong feelings about – and they’re well aware. Their latest album is an excellent expression of this; frontman Chris Martin gets away with propagating a contrived thesis that Mylo Xyloto is a complex concept inspired by World War II and old-school graffiti despite it sounding, largely, like any other Coldplay record.

But when Coldplay got onstage, it wasn’t even fair. Their stage show’s preparatory smoke puffs got more whoops than the two openers combined (despite Emeli Sandé’s lovely voice). When, in an exuberant burst of confetti the band rattled off five straight classics, Martin had the crowd eating out of his hand.

This is the evolution of Coldplay: They’ve amassed a deep enough repertoire of hits that they can start shows in a way that would be premature for a lesser band. So when Martin says at the show’s start, “We talked earlier and decided this would be the best concert we’d play in our lives,” you want to believe him, you really do. “But isn’t this Coldplay,” your mind nags, “the world’s blandest best band?”

Indeed, Coldplay has spent so long being perfectly vanilla, serving up flawlessly anesthetized anthems, that when Martin muffed a cue on Speed of Sound and joked, “Don’t put this on YouTube,” it’s hard to shake the thought it might have been put-on imperfection. But you want to believe him, you really do.

And really, all the things that make Coldplay so ambivalence-inciting make them superior live, where it’s near impossible to sound airless and edgeless. Recorded, Coldplay’s synths swoop under Martin’s slurry drawl just so, and the best songs are anthems for anthems’ sake; live, Martin is dynamic, and the audience swells with every crooned “ohh,” and rides the parabola of every lingering “ahh.” Drums crashed and guitars wailed on typically understated tracks; the show only lulled during Martin’s slower, overlong balladry. It works because it sounds like Coldplay set free; it’s what a great live show sounds like.

Of course, this brand of soaring arena rock was U2’s shtick first; this has long been Coldplay’s unfair, inescapable bane. But that can’t change the fact the sold-out crowd pumped their fists through Violet Hill as if it was Cypress Hill on stage. Or that, despite the encore’s inevitability, the crowd spontaneously burst into the melody of Viva La Vida to lure the band out. Or that after the show, strangers took to the “Play Me I’m Yours” piano outside on York Street and sang The Scientist. Or that on the organ’s dying strains on Fix You, the stadium became a cathedral and everyone stretched their hands skyward, shouting the hymn’s every word.

Monday’s performance – not their best, but deeply entertaining nonetheless – showed that being a Coldplay fan is less about the facts and more about belief. And that night, the crowd let itself believe, it really did – because even an atheist would be hard-pressed to say that a church is not a beautiful place to be, once in a while.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/music/coldplay-and-their-cult-of-believers/article4438252/