✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[23-Jul-2012] Coldplay @ Air Canada Centre, Toronto, ON, Canada

Jenjie

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPPOS_vchAo]Coldplay - Paradise (live in Toronto, July 23, 2012) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8QYBZ7f4Ns]Coldplay - Yellow (live in Toronto, July 23, 2012) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFVUguRPKhA]Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto (live in Toronto, July 23, 2012) - YouTube[/ame]

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an amazing time last night. For the first time ever I had floor seats for a band I actually cared about and it was amazing. Of course we were in the "second tier" of floor seats but still close to the front of that tier that we were pretty close to the stage (we were right by the sound booth). Sure I would have loved to have been closer but I should just be grateful I wasn't in nose-bleeds like usual. Maybe next time I can get even closer.

I must admit I was a little saddened by the people around us in the "second tier" floor (as well as some of the people you saw heading up to main floor). It's always annoying to think that there are real fans, HUGE fans, who know every lyric to every song stuck in the back of the auditorium while the rich folks and people with connections manage to get to sit right up front. But that's just me being jealous. The people around us were a mix of big fans (one girl took photos the entire show which was fun but I couldn't help but feel she was missing the actual experience) and the people next to us barely moved, danced, or sang (why did you bother coming/sitting so close if you barely want to be there). Of course Im sure people probably thought we weren't die-hard fans since we weren't wearing any home-made shirts or overpriced concert merch (and why is it than the mens shirts are always the uglier ones... you ladies have a much better selection). I can assure you we sang our lungs off to just about every number and loved ever bloody second. And I got to take home some confetti, something I had been hoping to do since my first show back in 2006. So, fingers crossed that next time they're in town I can continue my move closer to the stage and finally be right up with all the action (that and I'll keep trying to win tickets and a backstage pass which would have been SO cool).

The show itself was, obviously, fantastic. I must admit I didn't think it was quite on par with the last time I saw the boys here in Toronto (the second leg of Viva la Vida tour a couple summers back, not the one just after they released the album). This isn't to say last night wasn't as good, but that show was just magical - perfect set list, perfect energy, just perfect. It was a 10/10. This one was probably a 9/10.

Setlist was great, performances were great (despite a few slip ups here and there), the set was great, and the xylobands!? Woo-wee! I knew what they were (but played dumb for the benefit of my best bud who came with) but had no idea how incredible they would look once we got in there and they were all turned on. It was surreal. I took pictures at the start of almost every song, as I am one of those people who wants to enjoy the moment rather than be absorbed in taking photos, but being close to the stage (well relatively) meant I had to grab some. I also shot a little bit of video, especially when the yxolbands were on. I started filming charlie brown and got so caught up in dancing that I forgot I was filming and had to stop haha. whoops!

There aren't many bands who I feel always perform their butts off but then sometimes pull out ALL stops and REALLY give it, but Coldplay is one of them. Sure, I bet they tell EVERY concert they're going to make it the best ever, and that its their FAVOURITE city, but honestly there's something about their shows in Toronto that really do feel magical. In some ways I think that Chris was just *so* excited that it caused the couple flubs and screw-ups here and there when they happened. Every performer has been there, myself included. My only sadness would be if this was the "warm up" show and it's tonights show on tuesday that is the one that ends up getting filmed/used for the "Coldplay film" (whatever it ends up being).

So my only real disappointment (other than not getting to be closer to the stage, or having backstage passes, or even getting to meet the band) is that the group around us kinda stunk. I was hoping to get to make some new friends, some die hard coldplay fans like me, and that we'd get chatting and find out we were all from the same area, or all board members, or something. Instead it was a couple of older people and boring people who didn't say two words to us all night other than "excuse me" when trying to go to the bathroom.

9/10 for sure. Thanks to the fans for making it an amazing night, sorry I didn't get to meet you all myself.

And I wont be throwing out my Xyloband just yet. I can't help but hope that if Coldplay film ever sees a theatrical release and I were to bring it along with me it'd light up just one more time. I know its probably false hope but the boys never cease to surprise me so who knows!

L.O.V.E.

One more thing: did that TD wristband thing go anywhere? I got one and then never heard anything about it again.

ALSO! The pre-show music... anyone know what it was? Other than Jay-Z obviously (which was the perfect pump up music and I sang every word haha)

One more thing: did that TD wristband thing go anywhere? I got one and then never heard anything about it again.

Nice review:) I had floor seats by the Xstage in Tampa, and I had just turned 50, and my husband is a couple yrs older, we have been to many many concerts over our lives, and Coldplay really gives you your moneys worth and makes you feel connected. The "Younger" people around us, kinda looked at us when we arrived to our seats, like "Aw Man, Mom and Dad are here".:lol: When I whipped out yellow glow sticks, and passed them out and said, "When Yellow starts, lets snap them and light up our area"..... From there on they asked us questions about the band, and songs, and age was not an issue.... We stood and danced and sang to every song, and high fived after songs, and when "Yellow" started We were "Glowing in the dark":D

I was there yesterday night! Absolutely amazing! Great experience, I lost my voice today and I think I know why ;) Bought a mylo shirt, kept a xyloband, took lots of pics, and found myself in the panorama :laugh3:

Everything just flowed so well... Besides the openings, it was the greatest concert of my entire life! No lie!

so yesterday i saw people being picked right in front of me to sit in the front! i was quite jealous cuz i booked that this random guy going up and down the rows was picking ppl to be moved. and i tried getting his attention but it didnt work. but seeing others reactions when they were moved was priceless. it was super cute.

Marina and the Diamonds spend the summer with Coldplay

Story by Christina Fuoco-Karasinski

SoundSpike Contributor

Published July 24, 2012 07:13 AM

350x250wmarina_071112.jpg.pagespeed.ic.5vbih_oUDd.webp

For Marina Diamandis, who fronts Marina and the Diamonds, it doesn't get any better than touring with Coldplay.

"It's a pretty luxurious life with Coldplay," Diamandis whispered into the phone. "You get fed really well. Get beautiful dressing rooms. It's pretty luxy. It's like a little holiday for me, really."

The Welsh-born beauty is currently touring the U.S. with Chris Martin and Co. to support her new album "Electra Heart." Even though she cringes at the term, she agreed that the collection is a "concept album."

"I wanted to kind of personify heartbreak," Diamandis said. "The topic of love is fascinating to me. It's kind of what music and art are built on -- at least in pop music. I've never written about love in such an explicit way before. In a word, it's about a fictional character called Electra Heart, which I used as a vehicle to write songs about my tragic, disappointing love life."

Diamandis explained that it was easier to write songs using a character as a cover.

"It's almost like you can say absolutely anything, like the meanest, truthful stuff and not really take the blame for it," she said. "The crappy part is when people think it's disingenuous because you put a character in it. It's a strange thing of having a character or playing with the idea of a character for your album."

A pop and electronic album, "Electra Heart" shows a new direction for Diamandis, who previously dabbled in indie pop and New Wave. She said that came about during the songwriting process, which started a month after the release of her debut, 2010's "The Family Jewels."

"I was quite disciplined in that, on tour, I started writing a month after the first album," she said. "I wrote throughout the year of touring and I would take my shitty plastic keyboard every day and I would write. In that way, it was disciplined.

"If I didn't write, I would actually go mental. That's the only way my brain is stabilized. Some people really hate it. They feel they don't have the energy to do it. I guess we're all different. I guess it's lucky for me as well because there's only one of me. I write whenever I like to."

Although touring with Coldplay, Marina and the Diamonds have their own shows scheduled after that run. Diamandis is proud of her headlining shows, for which she shopped at flea markets and thrift stores for props.

"I have to say my own shows are more fabulous because I've got my own stage," she said. "The whole concept of the stage design is based on dirty honeymoon suites. It's the Electra Heart Motel. It's a very John Waters-like kitsch, campy theatrical show. Lots of pink and purple lighting. I have a nice wedding veil that I walk in on for the 'Homewrecker' song.

"Coldplay is kind of more toned down because I can't put all that on stage -- but I try my best, you know," she said in a hushed tone.

Concert Review: Coldplay put on an ultimately forgettable show in Toronto

Jon Dekel Jul 24, 2012 – 11:57 AM ET

Believe it or not there was a time when liking Colplay was considered cool. But those days, like the majority of Chris Martin’s curly ‘fro and ability to come across as believably humble, went away as soon as the naturally diminutive Greek and Latin First Class honours grad decided to make declarative sentences his communicatus operandi – and, in turn, take his label’s financial fortune on his back.

The Chris Martin – and make no mistake, despite drummer Will Champion’s predilection for soccer-chanting choruses, as Martin goes, so goes Coldplay — that tumbles and looks bemused into the camera these days is neither cool nor humble, what Martin peddles in is earnestness (and how!). Luckily for him, earnestness sells, especially in a world where so little can truly be described as genuinely earnest – just ask Aaron Sorkin.

Likewise, Martin comes across as friendly and genuine in a way that makes hating him both easy and readily available (See: “You know how I know you’re gay?” from The 40 Year Old Virgin), and all of this works for everyone, until it simply runs out of steam. Which, if yesterday’s show is any indication, it might just be.

As Martin pointed out during yesterday’s sold out performance at the Air Canada Centre (the first of a two-night stand), this is “something like the 50th” performance the group has had in Toronto, and, despite a smorgasbord of shiny new toys — literally, the band gave every member of the audience a bracelet which lit up in sync to several of the numbers — the band themselves appeared to be tired of playing the same songs in a believably sincere manner.

By my count (and I’ve seen Coldplay seven times now), Martin tumbled about half as much as earlier in the same tour, while the rest of the band seemed to hardly muster the energy to reach the emotional peaks of songs such as Viva La Vida or even Fix You, during which bassist Guy Berryman looked utterly bored. As a band whose songs live or die by the heart they put into them live, most of last night’s effort seemed reserved and, dare I say, contrived.

Perhaps earlier in their career, Coldplay’s impressive stagecraft and visual acumen could traverse these lulls but they too came up short. While viscerally impressive, the lighted bracelets trick is just an extension of Arcade Fire’s lighted balls, the combination of confetti and balloons sprayed during In My Place was lacking, even by Flaming Lips D.I.Y. standards, and their stage show simply didn’t live up to the muster of the big pop acts (Katy Perry, for example) which employ bigger and better visual distraction. In theory, if one of these fails the other should prop it up, but yesterday’s performance was lackluster on both fronts, making for an enjoyable but ultimately forgettable show.

Luckily for the band, they were surrounded by a sold-out crowd.

“We’ve got the best fans in the world and everybody knows it,” Martin declared following a sing-a-long to 2004 standout single The Scientist. And he may be right because, for that night at least, they saved his earnest ass.

[Source]

Coldplay concert: One grand mutual exchange of love

By Ben Rayner

1a1670fd44ef80cce256ea8b87af.jpg

Ah, why struggle against it?

I’ve been so desperate to find something original to say about Coldplay’s Monday-night gig at the Air Canada Centre that I’ve resorted, since getting home nearly three hours ago, to thumbing through a dictionary of literary quotations set on “love” in search of what professional journalists such as I call a “lede.”

This is the best I could come up with. I’ve absolutely no business invoking Percy Bysshe Shelley’s Prometheus Unbound in relation to the work of Chris Martin — absolutely no business at all, and may the deluge of justifiable hate-Tweets thusly accumulate in kind — but I still believe the following verse applies to what Martin et al. are up to on their current Mylo Xyloto tour:

All love is sweet,

Given or returned. Common as light is

Love,

And its familiar voice wearies not ever.

They who inspire it are most fortunate,

As I am now; but those who feel it most

Are happier still.

Coldplay at the ACC on Monday night was an ultraviolet-lit, confetti-spewing arena-rock love machine. If you didn’t feel like loving it and being believably loved in return going in, there were enough high- and low-tech distractions — sawing lasers, bounding beach balls, inflatable glowing objects scattered hither and thither in the stands and thousands of dollars’ worth of blinking LED bracelets handed out to patrons on their way into the venue — operating in service of one grand, mutual exchange of love that you had to allow yourself to succumb to the larger process or risk feeling less than human.

My bracelet didn’t work, for the record, but why should a single, doubting, maybe-karmic wardrobe malfunction detract from the overall, undeniable spiritual elevation of some 20,000 other doting fans? From up-jackin’ openers “Hurts Like Heaven” and “In My Place” through such knowingly “whoa-ooh-ooah”-ing, throng-acknowledged soccer-pitch keepers as “Yellow,” “God Put a Smile Upon Your Face” and “Paradise” to surrender-or-die encore must-haves as “Clocks,” “Fix You” and “Every Teardrop is a Waterfall” — and that damned “Fix You” knocks me to my knees as swiftly and as capably as any power ballad I’ve encountered during my 37 years on this planet — the British quartet worked as hard as it could to make you feel like this was, as front man Martin put it early in the evening, “the best concert we’ve ever played in our lives.”

Every single tune was delivered full at full, everybody-in throttle, as Martin bounded up and down the neon-lit proscenium like the world’s most tireless summer-camp facilitator. Every available space in the script or opportunity for an impromptu hometown slant in the lyric sheet was given over to letting Toronto know how much Coldplay appreciated — and loved — its Toronto fans for being a part of this monstrous explosion of fannish love for Coldplay and the appreciative love-in-return that Coldplay felt for its Toronto fans.

It was an ebullient, on-your-feet, eruptive kinda night out from start to finish, and that’s a tough bill of goods to sell believably on a city-by-city basis when your touring itinerary is set out in front of you for well in excess of a single calendar year. I’ve no idea how these four likeable blokes translate the Everyman-ish OK-ness of what they do together into proper tent-revival mania every time they come to town, but they do it very well. And that’s perfectly . . . OK.

[source]

I had an amazing time last night. For the first time ever I had floor seats for a band I actually cared about and it was amazing. Of course we were in the "second tier" of floor seats but still close to the front of that tier that we were pretty close to the stage (we were right by the sound booth). Sure I would have loved to have been closer but I should just be grateful I wasn't in nose-bleeds like usual. Maybe next time I can get even closer.

I must admit I was a little saddened by the people around us in the "second tier" floor (as well as some of the people you saw heading up to main floor). It's always annoying to think that there are real fans, HUGE fans, who know every lyric to every song stuck in the back of the auditorium while the rich folks and people with connections manage to get to sit right up front. But that's just me being jealous. The people around us were a mix of big fans (one girl took photos the entire show which was fun but I couldn't help but feel she was missing the actual experience) and the people next to us barely moved, danced, or sang (why did you bother coming/sitting so close if you barely want to be there). Of course Im sure people probably thought we weren't die-hard fans since we weren't wearing any home-made shirts or overpriced concert merch (and why is it than the mens shirts are always the uglier ones... you ladies have a much better selection). I can assure you we sang our lungs off to just about every number and loved ever bloody second. And I got to take home some confetti, something I had been hoping to do since my first show back in 2006. So, fingers crossed that next time they're in town I can continue my move closer to the stage and finally be right up with all the action (that and I'll keep trying to win tickets and a backstage pass which would have been SO cool).

The show itself was, obviously, fantastic. I must admit I didn't think it was quite on par with the last time I saw the boys here in Toronto (the second leg of Viva la Vida tour a couple summers back, not the one just after they released the album). This isn't to say last night wasn't as good, but that show was just magical - perfect set list, perfect energy, just perfect. It was a 10/10. This one was probably a 9/10.

Setlist was great, performances were great (despite a few slip ups here and there), the set was great, and the xylobands!? Woo-wee! I knew what they were (but played dumb for the benefit of my best bud who came with) but had no idea how incredible they would look once we got in there and they were all turned on. It was surreal. I took pictures at the start of almost every song, as I am one of those people who wants to enjoy the moment rather than be absorbed in taking photos, but being close to the stage (well relatively) meant I had to grab some. I also shot a little bit of video, especially when the yxolbands were on. I started filming charlie brown and got so caught up in dancing that I forgot I was filming and had to stop haha. whoops!

There aren't many bands who I feel always perform their butts off but then sometimes pull out ALL stops and REALLY give it, but Coldplay is one of them. Sure, I bet they tell EVERY concert they're going to make it the best ever, and that its their FAVOURITE city, but honestly there's something about their shows in Toronto that really do feel magical. In some ways I think that Chris was just *so* excited that it caused the couple flubs and screw-ups here and there when they happened. Every performer has been there, myself included. My only sadness would be if this was the "warm up" show and it's tonights show on tuesday that is the one that ends up getting filmed/used for the "Coldplay film" (whatever it ends up being).

So my only real disappointment (other than not getting to be closer to the stage, or having backstage passes, or even getting to meet the band) is that the group around us kinda stunk. I was hoping to get to make some new friends, some die hard coldplay fans like me, and that we'd get chatting and find out we were all from the same area, or all board members, or something. Instead it was a couple of older people and boring people who didn't say two words to us all night other than "excuse me" when trying to go to the bathroom.

9/10 for sure. Thanks to the fans for making it an amazing night, sorry I didn't get to meet you all myself.

And I wont be throwing out my Xyloband just yet. I can't help but hope that if Coldplay film ever sees a theatrical release and I were to bring it along with me it'd light up just one more time. I know its probably false hope but the boys never cease to surprise me so who knows!

L.O.V.E.

I wonder if I was the "one girl taking photos the entire show" because I definitely did. I am going to both shows. so last night was just me and my DSLR ;) and tonight I ditch the camera and will dance (even more). I was seating on row 33 left, seat 5. Unfortunately, unless you're sitting on the first 10 rows, photos do not look as good, even with a DSLR.

I totally agree with you, I kind of hate the fact that some of the people with the best seats don't even know the songs or can't be bothered to dance. If you're coming to a Coldplay concert in your 6 inch heels and expensive dress, you're better off staying at home, leaving space for us crazy fans to dance all night! :D

Did anyone try to go in with a DSLR with a lens that did not exceed 75mm? I want to but i'm worried I might have problems. I just want a nice wide angle shot of the wristbands lit up and my lens is 16-35mm soo i'm hoping ill be ok.

I did. I took my D90 with a 50mm lens. I was asked at the entrance about it and I told them about the "updated camera policy as per twitter" She looked at my like I was speaking martian, but I made it in. The "floor guards" inside were a pain on the butt though. Every time i tried to make a video, some stupid old hen came to scream at me NO VIDEOS! I kept saying duh, look around woman!!! but anyway. I hope I got some good photos/videos, haven't had a chance to develop them yet as I'm at work. But their previews look much better than the few photos I took with my phone. If you are not close to the stage it may be difficult to get good shots without a zoom, but still, I'm glad I brought my camera with my prime lens.

I'm not sure if they will be more vigilant today and perhaps ban DSLRs, considering how annoyed they seemed to be with me. BTW, I saw a few more people with DSLRs last night.

I wonder if I was the "one girl taking photos the entire show" because I definitely did. I am going to both shows. so last night was just me and my DSLR ;) and tonight I ditch the camera and will dance (even more). I was seating on row 33 left, seat 5. Unfortunately, unless you're sitting on the first 10 rows, photos do not look as good, even with a DSLR.

I totally agree with you, I kind of hate the fact that some of the people with the best seats don't even know the songs or can't be bothered to dance. If you're coming to a Coldplay concert in your 6 inch heels and expensive dress, you're better off staying at home, leaving space for us crazy fans to dance all night! :D

No, it wasn't you :) I was *also* in 33 but on the right. This girl was a row ahead (the first row after the break) and taking them with an iPhone so they're not even going to turn out great... which is why I felt bad for her. She's missing out on the live experience for some crappy photos? Mind you she did get a high-five from Chris and I didn't so what do i know.

I really wish I was going again tonight. One of these days i'll get in there close and dance with the rest of y'all.

But its nice to know im not the only one making stank-faces at the rich-bitches who show up. Mind you, maybe they like coldplay too?