✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Crocodiles Ticking Line

prjio307

It would seem that many people (more than I would have ever expected) on these boards do not understand this line and think it to be poor lyrics because they do not get the reference. I thought I would make a thread and try to clear this up for people since I see the confusion a lot and no one ever seems to explain it for the people who are confused beyond simply saying "it's a Peter Pan reference" which I'm sure is frustrating for people.

Basically Captain Hook, the villain of Peter Pan, had his hand eaten off by a crocodile who, during the struggle, also swallowed a clock. So whenever the crocodile is around, his stomach makes an audible ticking sound, which terrifies Hook. As a result, whenever he hears clocks ticking, Hook is paranoid and terrified because he thinks that the crocodile is back to eat the rest of him! It is a metaphor for paranoia that someone is out to get you.

I hope this clears things up for those of you who simply thought the line was nonsense.

I have not felt the hate. :stunned:

IT IS one of the BEST songs on MX.

One of which I'd choose to hear live.

It is also the most U2-esque CP song ever.

I've just noticed a lot of people saying things like "I hate MM" and "It doesn't deserve to be on the album" etc. idk maybe these people are just the minority :D Also, I've heard it live, and it was kick-ass!

• 3 weeks later...

Basically Captain Hook, the villain of Peter Pan, had his hand eaten off by a crocodile who, during the struggle, also swallowed a clock. So whenever the crocodile is around, his stomach makes an audible ticking sound, which terrifies Hook. As a result, whenever he hears clocks ticking, Hook is paranoid and terrified because he thinks that the crocodile is back to eat the rest of him! It is a metaphor for paranoia that someone is out to get you.

Thanks for the explanation! I was one of the people who just glossed this lyric over as a Peter Pan reference, but now I can understand it more fully in the wider context of the lyrical theme of Major Minus. Funny enough "Hear those crocodiles ticking, they go ticking round the world" is probably the lyric on MX that sticks most in my head for some reason. And I can't believe how anyone can hate on this song, for me it's the best on the album alongside Up In Flames!

Thanks for the explanation! I was one of the people who just glossed this lyric over as a Peter Pan reference, but now I can understand it more fully in the wider context of the lyrical theme of Major Minus. Funny enough "Hear those crocodiles ticking, they go ticking round the world" is probably the lyric on MX that sticks most in my head for some reason. And I can't believe how anyone can hate on this song, for me it's the best on the album alongside Up In Flames!

From the hate that I've seen it's mostly complaints about the production and the vocal distortion they used

It would seem that many people (more than I would have ever expected) on these boards do not understand this line and think it to be poor lyrics because they do not get the reference. I thought I would make a thread and try to clear this up for people since I see the confusion a lot and no one ever seems to explain it for the people who are confused beyond simply saying "it's a Peter Pan reference" which I'm sure is frustrating for people.

I hope this clears things up for those of you who simply thought the line was nonsense.

you explain it perfectly!! :D

• 2 months later...

Aah... Thank you:)