✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[23-Jun-2012] Coldplay @ American Airlines Center, Dallas, TX, USA

Tash

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was my first ever concert, so it was especially awesome. Unforgettable!

Alright so I arrived at the AAC at around 5:10 and we waited outside in the hot Texas sun for the doors to open at around 5:30. Once we went inside we got our wristbands and bags checked (I wish I brought my mom's DSLR because apparently they were allowed––saw tons of people with them. My iPhone couldn't do justice even though I was close to the stage!). I bought a t-shirt and signed up for Oxfam and then I went to my seat. I waited for a couple of hours but the music was really relaxing and MX-ish in the arena. (Does anybody know if Coldplay wrote the intermission music?) At 7:00 Wolf Gang started and I really liked them and then they finished at 7:30 sharp. After another 10-15 min intermission Robyn opened and she was, um, well, unique I guess.:shocked2: Did anyone else feel awkward tension, especially during the first song when she just stood at the microphone? Robyn covered ETIAW which I thought was pretty good. To appease us she mentioned before it was "approved by Coldplay." Then she played more melodic songs compared to the first few which the crowd really got into, though there was a lot of people mockingly dancing. She finished at around 8:35 and I think Coldplay chose her because of her spaceship theme. Then after another 10 min intermission and some songs like "99 Problems" the Back to the Future theme came on and the crowd went wild. We all stood up and clapped until Coldplay got on the stage and then the crowd just lost it, seriously, there were so many people crying around me. They played MX, the Xylobands lit up and it was just magic. HLH rushed through the arena and everyone was already having an AMAZING time. A lot of sing-along and just fun improv from Chris. Johnny rocked it on guitar. Then In My Place came on and the crowd went nuts (again) the confetti and lights were great along with great sing-along. Then Major Minus came on (One of the lower crowd involvement songs, I think). Lovers In Japan came on and the energy just continued to escalate. The balloons with paint fell down and popped out into the crowd and it was just a lovely song altogether. Then The Scientist came on( I think), and it was an AMAZING sing-along song. There was a beautiful segway into Yellow and the nice intro to Yellow was absolutely beautiful. The sing-along was amazing and beautiful as well. One of the greatest parts of the night. Violet Hill was ROCKIN'. Then GPASUYF 2.0 was even more rockin' and the crowd went absolutely wild!! There was a lot of improv like "yell if you're havin' a good time" or "lone star state" and other lovely Dallas references. Then they moved to the X-stage after a little intermission then PoC came on and everyone went crazy. Definitely and crowd favorite. The live version is great, especially Johnny on the guitar. Did anyone else think Rihanna sounded a little chipmunky? Up in Flames was lovely. AHT/DLIBYH was an absolute surprise to me and I thought it sounded amazing. There were inflatables of the song's symbols that lit up to the music and at the end pulsed to the heartbeat which I thought was amazing. And of course there was VLV which was one of the greatest performances and sing-along of the night. Chris said to make it "Dallas f****** Big" so we did!! Then to follow up VLV was the climax of the night which was Charlie Brown. Definitely the loudest part of the night and AMAAAAAZZZZZIIIIIINNNNNGGGG. The wristbands were magical and everything was just perfect!!! Ah, just speechless. A LOT sing-along with CB, and jumping, and drink spilling. MAGICAL!!!! Then came Paradise. Oh.my.goodness. That was phenomenal as well and the VLV,CB, and Paradise combo was EXCELLENT. Then they acted like it was time to go, but during the intermission the Xylobands were still lighting up and the crowd was ROARING!!!! So then they moved to the C-stage and played UATW which was beautiful. Chris wanted us to welcome each member of the band as they came onto the stage. There was a moment when Chris and Will went a capella and it was wonderful and really chilling-in-a-good-way. Then they played Speed of Sound acoustic which was a great sing along too which the crowd loved. Chris messed up and started again either during Speed of Sound or UATW, I can't remember, but we forgave him ;). Then then ran onto the main stage through the crowd and they gave high-fives to the fans as they went by, and I was jealous, but hey, I was privileged enough to be at a Coldplay concert! Clocks was played and of course the crowd went bonkers. Fix You was purely amazing and beautiful and wonderful and [insert positive word here], etc. Crowd was NUTS! Then MMIX/ETIAW came on and Chris started dancing and it was a great finale with the wristbands and all the lights, it was beautiful. Chris told us "Thanks for allowing us to play in your beautiful city" Then they bowed and went off the stage and we clapped and screamed and whistled and cheered for awhile until the lights came back on.

Just some extra stuff:

Chris was pretty talky and had some nice moments with Johnny and Guy and even Will.

There were a lot of Texas-specific lyrics which were really just fun and personal. You could really tell the band was happy and they love Dallas!! Chris mentioned if the band could kiss everyone of us they would because of our sing alongs.

One thing I noticed was the wide spectrum of ages from 5-85 yrs old. I guess there's that special human quality in Coldplay's music that anyone can relate to, and it's why Coldplay is my favorite band.

I thought the sound was much better tonight. Maybe it was just because yesterday I sat up close and tonight I sat in the back, but the sound was much clearer and I could really hear Johnny's guitar soaring through the arena.

I think the sound must have actually sounded better for the Sat. show, because I sat in one of the upper suites on Friday night, and then for Saturday was in 120, row C which was thisclose to the stage and I felt that everything was better on Saturday. Including the sound! So, maybe whatever glitches there were on Fri were corrected by Sat.

I had an amazing time both nights, but Saturday was just magical for me ;-)

One thing I noticed was the wide spectrum of ages from 5-85 yrs old. I guess there's that special human quality in Coldplay's music that anyone can relate to, and it's why Coldplay is my favorite band.

Sounds like you had a great time! And regarding your quote above, I was thinking the same thing. I can't recall a band I've seen live that had such a diverse demographic range of fans as Coldplay did in Dallas. We had kids a few rows in front of us, probably about 10 years old, and folks just to the side of us that looked about 50-55. Everyone was singing and clapping along. It's great to have that kind of connection with a band, and with each other.

I think the sound must have actually sounded better for the Sat. show, because I sat in one of the upper suites on Friday night, and then for Saturday was in 120, row C which was thisclose to the stage and I felt that everything was better on Saturday. Including the sound! So, maybe whatever glitches there were on Fri were corrected by Sat.

I had an amazing time both nights, but Saturday was just magical for me ;-)

I was in section 121, row E Saturday night so we were near eachother :) I agree that Saturday sounded better overall.

Here are the pictures I took, I didn't take as many as I usually do because I really wanted to enjoy the concert. Also included a video of In My Place that I took :D

DSCN0507.jpg

DSCN0508.jpg

DSCN0514.jpg

DSCN0515.jpg

DSCN0524.jpg

DSCN0526.jpg

DSCN0528.jpg

DSCN0531.jpg

DSCN0535.jpg

DSCN0544.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn2v1df6fE4&list=UU-ge0YXtXUj8aCIvZrOqSSA&index=1&feature=plcp]Coldplay Performing "In My Place" Dallas, TX 6/23/12 - YouTube[/ame]

You mentioned in a previous post about meet and greets- I live in Houston, and am going tomorrow night... (saw the Sat Dallas show too) anyways- how does one get into a meet and greet... I am a HUGE fan and would just die if I had the chance to do that. :)

I forgot to mention also that I have a friend who is a nurse at Children's, and she was blown away on Saturday, because Chris stopped by the hospital without any press or publicity to meet with the patients :dazzled:

Screen%20Shot%202012-06-23%20at%2021.55.22.png

Panoramas: American Airlines Arena, Dallas

25 June 2012 10:05 pm

Our hi-res photo of Coldplay's two Dallas crowds

news_line.png

Good evening. Roadie #42's panorama photos of the European stadium shows went down so well with the fans who attended the gigs, we thought we'd continue them for the latest North American leg of the Mylo Xyloto tour, which kicked off in Dallas last night. Click the pics for hi-res version.

SATURDAY 23 JUNE

20120623-Dallas2_Small.jpg

FRIDAY 22 JUNE

20120622DallasCrowd_Small.jpg

Anchorman

I remember watching that piano lift up through the stage and was like, "Wait!! There is more than 1 piano?!" I saw a total of 3 during the concert. There was one for C-Stage, X-Stage (elevator) and the main stage.

I forgot to mention also that I have a friend who is a nurse at Children's, and she was blown away on Saturday, because Chris stopped by the hospital without any press or publicity to meet with the patients :dazzled:

ohmy :dazzled:

Coldplay and Soul Food The other night I ventured out for my first concert in I don’t know how long. I use to be a concert junkie back in my day; always making it a point to see any artist I deemed a “legend” or who produced music that just spoke to my soul…and hips. I’ve seen The Rolling Stones, The Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel, BB King (4 times), Dave Matthews, Plant and Page (the closest thing to Led Zeppelin I’ll ever get), Pearl Jam, Blues Traveler, Harry Connick Jr,Tori Amos (3 times), Alanis Morissette, ZZ Top (long story), Widespread Panic, Lenny Kravitz, Pink, and the list goes on.

I slowly stopped going over the years, not only because of time dwindling and kids multiplying, but because I started developing a sort of phobia about being stuck in massive crowds. Now, just thinking about being on the fringes of a mosh pit at Pearl Jam sends my pulse racing and not in a good way.

I’m pretty sure the fear solidified when I was at a convention back in my home town of North Little Rock. I was standing against a fence line listening to Bill Clinton speak. I knew that I’d get to hang out with him later (it’s good to have connections) so I was just enjoying the speech. But he decided to walk down to where I was and the crowd behind me all rushed forward, crushing me against the fence. It was horrifying and I had a massive panic attack complete with hyperventilating and tears. It culminated with the President holding my hand and looking at me like he was sure I was crazy, dying, or both, and one of his secret service agents wrangling me under the fence and getting me to safety.

That experience taught me three important things: the secret service are good folks even if they do like to party, a crowd of 50-year-old liberals is more dangerous than drunken ZZ Top rednecks, and I would never set foot in a crowd like that again.

But last night I bit the bullet and went to the Coldplay concert. I’d be prouder of myself but I have to be honest and admit that it was purely because my husband had received suite tickets for the show. I decided I could handle that scenario because the crowds are thin in the platinum levels of the AA Center.

So I put on my rock-n-roll hooker shoes, headed out, settled into the suite with our $50 nachos, and relaxed…seriously relaxed.

By the time Coldplay took the stage, I was already in my happy place. Every audience member was given a wristband to wear. When the lights went down they all lit up, blinking and flickering to the beat. The entire stadium looked like it was full of multicolored fireflies. Then the confetti canons exploded and huge balloons dropped down. It was a complete celebration of joy and Chris Martin said something that really struck home with where my thoughts had been earlier that day. He said (and I’m definitely paraphrasing), “I hope you have a f*cking great time tonight because you sound great. If you don’t, that’s ok because we’re going to have a f*cking great time tonight because you sound great!”

And you saw that in every moment of the show. They were having a blast. It was “play” for them and every moment was a moment of pure joy. And what this got me thinking about was a small epiphany I’d had earlier that day. I was recently asked to be in a music video for a friend’s band. They have a minimal budget (meaning actors will be paid with credit and a craft table full of Little Debbie’s) but I didn’t hesitate to take the job. And that’s what brought on my “lightbulb” moment. I don’t have to be paid to do something I love.

I’ve been paid to act and I’ve done it for free. In fact, I often prefer the free gigs in community theatre and independent film because every person involved in the production is there because they LOVE what they’re doing. I’ve invested hundreds of hours in productions knowing I wouldn’t receive a dime in return. Why? Because when I’m standing on a stage or hanging out on a film set, every synapses in my body is ignited. It sets my soul on fire. It’s those moments that I experience pure joy. It’s those moments that I feel completely and fully alive.

So while I watched Chris Martin and the rest of the band run and jump around, I knew what they were feeling. They were completely submerged in their art and feeding off the energy of the audience. Nirvana. But I also wondered if someone walked up to them today and told them they’d lost all funding and would no longer receive any money for performing, if they still would? Would the need to share their art and live in their “joy” outweigh the need to be compensated for it? I think it would.

I think that when an artist–a true artist– walks away from their craft, their soul dims. We’re built to express and evoke emotions through the gifts we were given. When we’re cutoff from that, part of us wilts and shrivels away. There are probably millions of people trying to make it as an actor, musician, or artist; and I imagine for many it’s the lure of fame and fortune. But I think there are many that do it because they have to. They have to because that is the only way they feel whole. Proof is the simple fact of how many artists are willing to scrape by on pennies just to do what they love. I bet there are very few people who would be willing to live off Ramen noodles and wait tables while they try to get their big break in accounting or the insurance industry.

So what did all of this do for me? It made me look at some of my pursuits and ask,”Would I do it for free?” I think it’s a good gage of what’s important to you. I think everyone needs something in their life that lights them up without any promises of providing anything else but joy. I’m curious about what ignites the people reading this. What would you do for free? What sets your soul on fire? If you don’t know, then for God’s sake, find it! You owe it to your soul. It’s hungry, so go feed it. Now!! And when you figure it out, I’d love to hear about it…even if it’s accounting. [thanks Ash Robbins] [2]

I haven't really read this forum before, but figured I'd post some of my pics (even if they aren't as stellar as of already posted!). What an awesome show!

482534_10151223237009325_455021005_n.jpg

544993_10151223235634325_1734469192_n.jpg

522038_10151223237194325_586423026_n.jpg

522136_10151223237399325_114329120_n.jpg

177069_10151223238269325_1866968339_o.jpg

314867_10151223238424325_48101230_n.jpg

177979_10151223240004325_1313023343_o.jpg

177028_10151223240194325_543127802_o.jpg

336353_10151223240949325_328277242_o.jpg

287767_10151223241894325_3297632_o.jpg

473877_10151223242434325_199684070_o.jpg

468982_10151223243149325_2127582026_o.jpg