20 Georgia On My Mind/Fix You

21 Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coldplay Brings The Mylo Xyloto Tour To Charlotte

coldplay-211.jpg?w=300

As one of the biggest acts in the world, Coldplay brought over 19,000 fans together for one amazing night in Charlotte for the Mylo Xyloto tour. With an array of lighting setups, confetti bombs and thousands of light up bracelets in the venue, Coldplay proved again why they take the cake for most energetic and most exciting show ever.

From ‘Paradise’ to their massive hit ‘Viva La Vida’, the crowd went nuts for everything lead singer Chris Martin and the band did, including the loss of a few articles of clothing. Overall, the show left everyone wanting more, awestruck by the audience participation with the light show and voiceless from all the screaming.

Check out our pictures from the show!

img_0739.jpg?w=420

coldplay-1.jpg?w=420

coldplay-2.jpg?w=420

coldplay-3.jpg?w=420

coldplay-4.jpg?w=420

coldplay-5.jpg?w=420

coldplay-6.jpg?w=420

coldplay-7.jpg?w=420

coldplay-8.jpg?w=420

coldplay-9.jpg?w=420

coldplay-10.jpg?w=420

coldplay-11.jpg?w=420

coldplay-12.jpg?w=420

coldplay-13.jpg?w=420

coldplay-14.jpg?w=420

coldplay-15.jpg?w=420

coldplay-16.jpg?w=420

coldplay-17.jpg?w=420

coldplay-18.jpg?w=420

coldplay-19.jpg?w=420

coldplay-20.jpg?w=420

coldplay-21.jpg?w=420

coldplay-22.jpg?w=420

coldplay-23.jpg?w=420

link

Review: Coldplay at Time Warner Cable Arena

July+3+2012+ipod+055.JPG

Coldplay did its fans a big favor by holding Tuesday’s concert indoors at Time Warner Cable Arena during the hottest week in recent memory. That decision was probably dictated more by the glow-in-the-dark nature of the production than the temperature.

Ticket holders were each given a fabric wrist band with a small hard plastic box attached to it upon entry. When Coldplay hit the stage with the upbeat title track to its latest album “Mylo Xyloto” following sets by London-based rock band, Wolf Gang and Swedish dance pop star Robyn, those bracelets lit up the arena with over 17,000 tiny colored lights. It was one of many ways Coldplay pulled its audience into the festivities and made the crowd feel less like spectators and more a part of the show. Lasers danced through the air and circular screens, including a large LED screen that hung over the stage, displayed dancing lights and stage footage.

Coldplay looked like it just came from a paintball fight. By the number of glow-in-the-dark paint blobs on their loose fitting pants and casual t-shirts, it looked like Martin lost and bassist Guy Berryman won.

Will Champion’s resounding beat signaled “Mylo’s” next track “Hurts Like Heaven.” Confetti burst from cannons as the song’s chorus kicked in.

Coldplay’s use of electronic touches on “Mylo Xyloto” has been both criticized and embraced, but other current influences were on display during those newer tracks as guitarist Jonny Buckland’s intricate finger work echoed lesser known modern bands like instrumental act Explosions in the Sky. “Heaven” ended with Martin in a backbend on the stage, already glistening with sweat. He thanked the crowd and promised the best concert of their lives. While that is a tall order, Coldplay proved again that it’s a phenomenal live band.

The mood escalated as it reached back to 2002’s “In My Place.” That song with its familiar guitar intro was another example of Coldplay making beautiful often subdued albums that play well on radio, but in a live setting those songs become more dynamic and grander. “Major Minus,” “Lovers in Japan” and “The Scientist” followed as the group approached another peak with its earliest hit “Yellow.” Martin began the song quietly on his graffiti-covered piano tinkling against the hum of Buckland’s guitar. Martin switched to his acoustic as the anthem kicked in and yellow light cast over the crowd.

The band gathered at the end of the catwalk for three songs including the Rihanna-aided “Princess of China” (her vocals were piped in as she appeared on screen). It was probably the most electronic feeling segment with Champion clicking time on an electronic drum pad.

The group was off to the finish beginning with the familiar strains of “Viva La Vida.” Champion pummeled kettle drums and thrashed a big Liberty-style bell. That gave way to the Cure-like guitar work of “Charlie Brown” and the anthemic “Paradise,” which closed the set with a giant sing along.

The band appeared in the audience toward the back of the arena where it began its encore with “Us Against the World” and a partly acoustic version of “Speed of Sound” before running back to the stage. There they ended with the one-two-three punch of “Clocks,” the moving fan favorite “Fix You” (probably one of the most well written love songs in recent memory) and ended with the danceable single “Every Teardrop is a Waterfall.”

While glowing bracelets would’ve betrayed anyone attempting an early exit, few dared. Coldplay gave little reason to scoot out early. As with its 2009 concert at Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, Coldplay embraced its audience and wouldn’t let it go.

“Thank you for the best job in the world,” Martin said before exiting the stage following “Paradise.” It is easy to imagine that his is just that.

As for its reputation for booking stellar opening acts, Coldplay didn’t disappoint. Wolf Gang struggled through sound issues rarely seen on a tour of this size, but despite an unresponsive piano the quintet’s bouncy Euro rock and catchy single “The King and All His Men” (currently in rotation on Sirius/XM alternative stations) served it well as an opener.

With her daring fashion (she began her set in a ballooning silver skirt and “Thunderdome”-like vest), futuristic sound and original dance moves, Robyn can be a polarizing performer. She turned in a set that at times felt more club than arena. The robotic vocals of minimalist tracks like “We Dance to the Beat” and “Fembot” (which are probably the coldest songs on her fantastic electro-R&B 2010 dance album “Body Talk”) may have seemed an unusual introduction to those who weren’t familiar with her. She did deliver more popular singles such as 2005’s “Cobrastyle,” and the more current “Dancing on My Own,” “Indestructible” and “Girlfriend” which had girls in our row copping her dance moves and singing the lyrics long after she’d left the stage.

Check out The Observer's Coldplay photo gallery here.

link

Another photobomb!

20120703cha120.jpg

Isn't that the girl that Chis kissed during the "B" stage set? I was looking elsewhere when he bent down to her, but I saw him right as he pecked her and I could tell she was ecstatic afterwards.

I thought the a cappella treatment (with Will and Chris) of the third and fourth verses of Us Against the World was a neat twist during that set, BTW.

Screen%20Shot%202012-07-04%20at%2017.07.36.png

Panorama: Time Warner Cable Arena, Charlotte

4 July 2012 5:08 pm

Here's Roadie #42's panorama shot from last night's show

news_line.png

Good evening. Here is Roadie #42's crowd panorama photo of last night's crowd at Charlotte's Time Warner Cable Arena. Click the picture to see the hi-res version. You can upload your pictures from the show (and check out others') in our Live Archive.

20120703CharlotteCrowdSmall.jpg

Click here for more summer 2012 crowd panoramas.

Anchorman

Live review: Coldplay, Time Warner Cable Arena, 7/3/2012

1341418510-img_9631.jpg

Upon entering Time Warner Cable Arena on July 3, 2012, each person was given a woven bracelet. Concert-goers were informed it was part of the sold-out show and instructions on large video screens within the arena only said to put the colored band on before the event started.

As the lights went down and Coldplay hit the stage to perform two hours of its pop brand of rock, thousands of bracelets lit up, blinked in time with the music and were waved in the air by the arms that wore them.

It's a first in the concert-going world and was nothing short of impressive to see live. Gone are the days of lighters or held up cell phones (unless you're trying to film the band, which it seems everyone tries to do) - this is the next grand step, but one that doesn't come cheaply.

Coldplay is reportedly spending more than $600,000 each night to equip their fans with the devices that were used during a handful of songs in the performance. The red, pink, white, blue, yellow and green lights would stay on or occasionally blink with the drums - there's no way for a fan to turn them on or off.

Emblazoned with the Twitter and Coldplay logos and "#coldplayfilm," the wristbands are a clever piece of marketing, a brilliant piece of technology which incorporates fans into the concert - but is it worth it?

It's a novelty souvenir, but not one you'd ever wear again due to its over-sized strap and inability to light up. As part of the show, however, it sure was fun to watch:

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7fG_-oeUzo[/ame]

After brief sets by Wolf Gang and Robyn, Chris Martin - there might be three other guys in the band - appeared and made the most of the extended stage as lasers danced above him and confetti flew overhead.

1341418611-img_9733.jpg

Coldplay performed a brief stripped down set - "Princes of China," "Up in Flames" and "Warning Sign" - at the end of the ramp, and two more songs - "Us Against the World" and "Speed of Sound" - on a small stage at the back of the arena, giving those fans a closer look. "Princes" included a video of Rihanna timed perfectly to sing along with the music.

Musically, the concert was as expected - Coldplay is about as safe as living next to a police station. The band's pop-rock is infused with hints of emotion, strong hook-filled choruses that invite sing-alongs and catchy rhythms that the packed arena including plenty of middle-aged men - and their wristbands - dancing like no one was watching.

1341418638-img_9763.jpg

link

Isn't that the girl that Chis kissed during the "B" stage set? I was looking elsewhere when he bent down to her, but I saw him right as he pecked her and I could tell she was ecstatic afterwards.

He kissed that girl? :o

Loving the photobombs! :lol:

He kissed that girl? :o

I'm pretty sure that she was the one, but I'm trying to get confirmation from someone else who was in better position to witness it. Surely we've got to have someone tuned in here who was in a better position to see it.

^During which song was it? Maybe someone caught it on video.

That would be a bit weird! She hasn't tweeted about it so I guess he didn't kissed her. Because if he did she would have mentioned it, right?

No I think that's because she died on the spot. :P

Maybe she doesn't have Twitter? Or her account is private?

She has a twitter account, otherwise she couldn't have tweeted the photo :p

Right. :nod:

:lol: It's been a long day.

Edit: Only video I could find:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DHlQ6LovCA]Coldplay Rear Stage - YouTube[/ame]

He does bend down and gets very close to someone at 0.18. Could have been just a photobomb...