✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[3-Jul-2012] Coldplay @ Time Warner Cable Arena, Charlotte, NC, USA

Tash

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fabulous fabulous fabulous show! Waited around after for an hour but Chris was a no show. Apparently they left a minute after the show was over (I don't trust security haha)....

I'm very tired, I'll probably post something longer tomorrow :)

AMAZING, SPECTACULAR show tonight!! It was everything I thought it would be and more! We must have been outside together because we also waited an hour and a half for the boys and joked with security the whole time that they didn't know what they were talking about. haha FINALLY, though, Matt came out, and we chatted with him and had a picture taken, and he said, "The band has indeed left" and then stopped and literally looked me in the eye and said, "It's true, I wouldn't lie to you." That's when I had to believe they were gone and sulked back to the hotel. I was disappointed. BUT it was the best show I've ever seen. I will post more later. Tired!

We just got a back from the concert, after hanging around for a few hours after the concert to absorb some of the downtown flavor. It was my first Coldplay concert in person, so I wasn't sure what to fully expect. First off, the people that are attracted to a Coldplay concert are by far and away the most interesting and coolest group of people I've ever encountered. They are also considerate and polite... well, most of them ;) Due to an unexpected trip to the drug store to buy a memory card for our camera, we got there about half way through Wolfgang's performance, which I thought was pretty good. I'll give these guys a second look!

As for Robyn.... (sigh) let me just say she isn't my slice of pie. The funky, techno production took any hint of musicality away from most of her performance, IMO. Her best song was her cover of Coldplay's Every Teardrop is a Waterfall. It actually sounded like she could possibly sing without having her voice modulated and processed to the nth degree. She actually hit the inflections of "raise" during the transition break in the song "so you can hurt, hurt me bad, still I *raise* the flag" quite well. Overall though, it was an assault on the senses, IMO.

Coldplay's show was a spectacle to behold. I wasn't quite prepared for the vastness and complexity of it all. The glowbands added a new dimension to concert going. I really think the crowd felt more immersed in the proceedings. The light show was superior to what I'd seen in the Pink Floyd concert I attended in '96.

What I wasn't expecting was what I judged to be a percussion and bass dominated audio mix. It was bad enough during the Wolfgang and Robyn performances, but the mix was so geared for percussion and bass that it was overbearing, much of the time. There was a harshness that came across in the audio mix that went beyond simply being just too loud, IMO. I never thought I'd be saying this, but my two favorite songs from the concert were God Put a Smile Upon Your Face, and Warning Sign. Close seconds were Us Against the World and Speed of Sound (acoustic numbers from the surprise satellite stage. This was a new arrangement of Speed of Sound, but I liked it better live than the electric versions I've heard them play live.

My biggest disappointment of the night was "Clocks"... it was easily the weakest version I've ever heard of my favorite song of all time. Not only did the percussion/bass heavy audio mix step all over the piano, guitar, and vocals to where many of the characteristic trademarks of the song were AWOL. Then there was the ethereal, warbling synthesizer break where a chilling reprise of the piano intro *used* to be, follow by an awkwardly premature ending that almost makes it sound like they forgot the music!?

Fix You was decent, but there were new problems with the audio mix during it. Chris' mike got really hot and he went from sounding like he was singing to hollering in a few spots. The rousing closing verses of the song were once again impaired by the overbearing percussion and bass mix. Still, this is such a powerful song that it withstood the mix problems... it is without a doubt, the most emotional piece of music I've ever heard... well, in the rock/pop field anyway.

ETIAW was a fitting finale, even though its mix was once again, harshly heavy in the percussion and bass realms. I left the arena in a rather confused state about what I'd just experienced. Honestly, I've been more moved by their concert videos - at least in terms of audio... the visceral, seeing it doesn't hold on candle - on my surround sound home theater system than the concert. It's mostly because I can hear everything in a proper balance, or at least adjust it to a proper balance on my home system. I'm not hating on percussion and bass, I just want to have them served to me in thier natural balance.

Anyway, I was wondering if it had something to do with where we sat. We were in section 102. We were in the next to upper row of the lower mezzanine, about maybe 5 degrees from face center stage (from the opposite end of the arena). Anyone sit somewhere else in the arena where it didn't sound like you were in a bass and percussion well?

Um, that tweet about aren't we all just here for Chris Martin? Much as he's amazing, but that person needs to LISTEN to the whole band sometime! I'm guessing they'd only get more out of the show!:D

Had a gig tonight, a nd some negative stuff outside of tht, so thanks for posting all these lovely pics/tweets to come home to!:D