✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay's miming....

42JTR

The oracle is correct, they don't mime. Miming implies that they are doing actions that don't make sounds. What actually happens is that there is a playback and they play over the top of the play back.

So when Jonny and Guy play the synths or whatever, them hitting the keys does actually make sound but there is a louder playback over the top of it. They do this because without it, songs like Viva La Vida would sound awful. I've got no problem with them doing it.

However there are examples where I think the playback is ridiculous. The "oohooo ohh oh oh" bit in Paradise is clearly playback and you can't hear anyone but Chris sing it.

Another time the playback is louder than the actual singing is the last part of Fix You. Once again, most of the time you can't hear anyone but Chris and the playback sing that.

This. :nod:

That's just it, they're way more forthcoming than a lot of other live acts regarding the amount of looping they use, and even the specifics of same. If they had something to hide, I'd expect them to be a lot more cagey.

I think Guy is probably the only one who doesn't really sing in parts where they're all supposed to. I've noticed before that it doesn't really seem like he's singing, but whatever. I'd care if it were Chris who were lip syncing because he's the main vocalist.

If you're talking about the lost clip from glastonbury, the audio and the video are notably out of synch. They do use a ton of background looping (too much for some people's taste's), but to my knowledge the only time they "pretend" to play something that's actually looped is when Chris would put his hands inside the television/keyboard during the VLV tour. Judging by the fact that they seem perfectly willing to stand around while looped parts play around them (see liT), it really doesn't make sense to me that they would feel the need to mime other looped parts. In my opinion, when you see them playing/singing they are, when there's clearly instrumentation while they're just kind of standing around (which is fairly often) those are the looped parts.

This.

And (as another poster mentioned before me) it could be that Jonny and Guy's microphones are mixed lower than Chris and Will's, seeing as Chris sings lead and Will does 95% of the backup vocals, while Jonny and Guy only have to contribute during the Viva chant, Fx You, Paradise, and a few other small parts in other songs.

This.

And (as another poster mentioned before me) it could be that Jonny and Guy's microphones are mixed lower than Chris and Will's, seeing as Chris sings lead and Will does 95% of the backup vocals, while Jonny and Guy only have to contribute during the Viva chant, Fx You, Paradise, and a few other small parts in other songs.

^THIS. :nod:

I think Guy is probably the only one who doesn't really sing in parts where they're all supposed to. I've noticed before that it doesn't really seem like he's singing, but whatever. I'd care if it were Chris who were lip syncing because he's the main vocalist.

:nod::nod: Agreed.

Damn lazy Guy :whip: :lol:

^As you think, Jonny would probably be the one reluctant to sing, but nooo, it's Guy :dozey:

Damn Guy, you better not mime at my show :whip: but nevermind, standing there being all handsome is fine too :D

I don't think Guy's wholly afraid to sing. He sings lead vocals on one of the songs from the 2nd Apparatjik album.

• 11 months later...

reading through these 3 pages i see alot of comments about Guy not actually singing...

since it always look the same when ever Guy "sings", then maybe that's how it looks when he sings? Not everybody look the same when singing....

reading through these 3 pages i see alot of comments about Guy not actually singing...

since it always look the same when ever Guy "sings", then maybe that's how it looks when he sings? Not everybody look the same when singing....

He may just either be turned down in the live mix, or have a live vocal mic that's not even live (Adam Clayton infamously did this for years before he finally ditched his live mic.) Guy has a distinctive voice compared to the other three, you'd be able to pick it out if it's there, even if it was pre recorded.

The only time I think they use pre-recorded vocals is in a few songs (most notably ETDIAW) where Chris' vocals are looped so they can have multiple layers of his voice.

No I think Guy and Jonny pretend to sing but nothing comes out

I can totally image Jonny thinking "Ok, I'm supposed to sing...but I don't want to! :cry::cry::cry: Ok...I'll just sing very very very low...or better I can just move my lips and not sing! Bwahahahahahah" :laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

Speaking seriously I don't think there is nothing bad in someone of them [except Chris] that doesn't want to sing...but in the live gigs I have on my iPod I can totally hear Jonny in some songs...I can't say the same for Guy but still...I'm not shocked :lol:

EDIT: I agree with those who say their mics are probably just mixed lower :nod:

I can totally image Jonny thinking "Ok, I'm supposed to sing...but I don't want to! :cry::cry::cry: Ok...I'll just sing very very very low...or better I can just move my lips and not sing! Bwahahahahahah" :laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

Speaking seriously I don't think there is nothing bad in someone of them [except Chris] that doesn't want to sing...but in the live gigs I have on my iPod I can totally hear Jonny in some songs...I can't say the same for Guy but still...I'm not shocked :lol:

EDIT: I agree with those who say their mics are probably just mixed lower :nod:

I can definately hear Jonny's voice when I've heard them live (although it's harder to pick out on live recordings.) He doesn't sing as often as Will, but I can tell he's there.