✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Dissappointment with MX

ISawSparks06

Alright, before you all roll your eyes and write me off, just hear me out.

My friend and I are as big as Coldplay fans as you will ever meet, we are from the United States, we've seen them 3 times in 3 different corners of the United States (our next target being a major venue in the United Kingdom), we've waited outside Wal-mart at midnight to grab our copies of Viva La Vida, Mylo, etc, you get the point, we are HUGE Coldplay fans, and consider their music the Gospel.

HOWEVER, him and I are in complete agreement when we say that we are vastly disappointed with Mylo Xyloto. For us, it's a random, chaotic mixture of songs that don't really go together. Eno's presence is far too noticeable, and at times it sounds as if u2 came in to the Studio and recorded a couple of tracks. It doesn't tell a story, it's a collection of poppy/electric tracks that sounded like they were produced to satisfy the casual Coldplay fan who only knows of 'Fix You' and 'Viva La Vida' as Coldplay songs.

Viva La Vida the album told a story, it's not only possibly to listen to it from start to beginning, it's f_cking incredible to do so. I find myself constantly pressing the 'Next' button on my iPod when listening to Mylo Xyloto, and it frustrates me, we waited 2 1/2 years for this album, and I don't feel like Coldplay delivered.

But hey, it's just our opinion, I think there are some good songs on MX, just don't think they came close to what was anticipated/expected. But maybe thats our problem, the bar was set too high. Hard to imagine so with the brilliance Coldplay exerts.

IF Coldplay make another album, I'd like to see them part ways with Brian Eno, and I'd like them to rediscover themselves and their sound. Maybe something of a Parachutes/Viva mixtures.

Cheers,

KL

*braces for out-lash*

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Viva La Vida the album told a story, it's not only possibly to listen to it from start to beginning, it's f_cking incredible to do so. I find myself constantly pressing the 'Next' button on my iPod when listening to Mylo Xyloto, and it frustrates me, we waited 2 1/2 years for this album, and I don't feel like Coldplay delivered.

:nod:

I feel the opposite. I can't press the next button on MX as I feel that I need to hear the album the whole way through to get the whole thing but not for VLV.

Anyway, not to upset anyone but why start another thread on this? Isn't there already a billion threads on how disappointed one is about MX? Why not post there?

I think MX is their most cohesive album yet and the songs certainly go together - they tell a story and they share themes. They were specifically put together to do this. So I think you're wrong there.

Anyway, the sooner people realise that artists don't owe them anything the better. Chris, Guy, Jonny and Will decide what happens. The band clearly want to evolve, push boundaries and change their sound after every album. I doubt they'll do something like Parachutes again.

Parachutes was boring anyway. Most people here look back on that album with rose coloured glasses. Give it a listen from start to finish - it's good, but it's boring and it is missing a few links.

I think MX is their most cohesive album yet and the songs certainly go together - they tell a story and they share themes. They were specifically put together to do this. So I think you're wrong there.

Anyway, the sooner people realise that artists don't owe them anything the better. Chris, Guy, Jonny and Will decide what happens. The band clearly want to evolve, push boundaries and change their sound after every album. I doubt they'll do something like Parachutes again.

Parachutes was boring anyway. Most people here look back on that album with rose coloured glasses. Give it a listen from start to finish - it's good, but it's boring and it is missing a few links.

Absolutely, Kiame.

MX plays better as a whole than anything on Viva did. While Viva certainly had a unique sound that I cannot compare to much other artists, MX goes past their comfort zone and expands into what they do best -- evolve.

People spend too much time wanting something that has been gone for six years. It's time to move on.

For me, every Coldplay album fits perfectly in the time they have been released. It's like supplying the necessity of the world. MX came to me in a time I really needed some happiness(actually, ETIAW was released one week after the death of my dog, which was with me for 14 years). This song saved me. Viva had a mix of feelings that helped me in the most various kinds of situations. X&Y (the era I met Coldplay) was full of anger and some sadness, and this helped me too.

IF Coldplay make another album, I'd like to see them part ways with Brian Eno, and I'd like them to rediscover themselves and their sound. Maybe something of a Parachutes/Viva mixtures.

Brian Eno's work is nothing but make them discover themselves. Like they said, "He is like Galdalf of Dumbledore". A person who comes, gives them some 'magical' hints and disappears.

If you want my honest opinion, they wouldn't be as huge as they are today without Eno. And I do thing being huge is something Coldplay deserves more and more, to make even more people happy, sad, angry, with their music, like I was/am...

For me, every Coldplay album fits perfectly in the time they have been released. It's like supplying the necessity of the world. MX came to me in a time I really needed some happiness(actually, ETIAW was released one week after the death of my dog, which was with me for 14 years). This song saved me.

Um, yeah, this, totally (I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved dog *Sends hugs*. That's always a really tough thing to deal with). I too have gone through some really crap times these last couple years. This album makes me feel hopeful and optimistic about getting past those rough moments and feel better knowing I'm not alone in struggling. "Paradise" is pretty much how I've felt the last couple years summed up in a nutshell, "Charlie Brown" sounds so incredibly freeing, "Us Against The World" is so calming and soothing and reassuring...I could go on (plus, the album has a very distinctly '80s vibe to it, and I'm always a sucker for that. Chalk it up to childhood nostalgia :p).

Comparatively speaking, Viva La Vida, to date, is my favorite album. Lyrically, I think it's one of their strongest efforts, and the music they experimented with hits all the right buttons-it's perfect start to finish. Parachutes and A Rush of Blood... I will always have a love for because the songs remind me of my teenage years, and some of the songs on there are among my absolute favorite of their work ever; hell, some of them are my favorite songs, period, by anyone. X&Y is dark, moody, beautiful, and has "Fix You", which is one of the most personally meaningful songs I've ever heard. Each album has its own reason for appealing to me, the ultimate connection between all of them being how much the songs mean to me. And the new one is no exception, in my view.

I fully understand wanting a band to harken back to sounds their fans loved in the past. But if they just keep doing that, then people will complain because they haven't changed their sound (and the complaints may, ironically, come from some of the same people currently upset with the change in sound). One can argue with the way they changed their sound, and how sincere it is, and I think that's the big issue here for most people who aren't into the album. And in that case, I can understand some of the concerns-even if I disagree, I get it. They're fair points to consider during these debates.

Alright, before you all roll your eyes and write me off, just hear me out.

My friend and I are as big as Coldplay fans as you will ever meet, we are from the United States, we've seen them 3 times in 3 different corners of the United States (our next target being a major venue in the United Kingdom), we've waited outside Wal-mart at midnight to grab our copies of Viva La Vida, Mylo, etc, you get the point, we are HUGE Coldplay fans, and consider their music the Gospel.

HOWEVER, him and I are in complete agreement when we say that we are vastly disappointed with Mylo Xyloto. For us, it's a random, chaotic mixture of songs that don't really go together. Eno's presence is far too noticeable, and at times it sounds as if u2 came in to the Studio and recorded a couple of tracks. It doesn't tell a story, it's a collection of poppy/electric tracks that sounded like they were produced to satisfy the casual Coldplay fan who only knows of 'Fix You' and 'Viva La Vida' as Coldplay songs.

But hey, it's just our opinion, I think there are some good songs on MX, just don't think they came close to what was anticipated/expected. But maybe thats our problem, the bar was set too high. Hard to imagine so with the brilliance Coldplay exerts.

Cheers,

KL

*braces for out-lash*

This album Doesn't seem as popular as the last albums among majority fans indicated by the number of threads against MX. However, (Being A hardcore CP fan, I am obsessed with them and even listen to them during exams) I do agree with you. People say that coldplay are evolving and they will not stick to their old sounds and hence, we should accept MX. I differ, Viva La Vida was also different from coldplay's first three albums but I think VERY VERY few people got dissapointed with that. That was evolution too, but in a mrvellous way. Its my Favourite album but MX sadly is my least favourite. I am And will forever be a HuGE FAN of coldplay, Hope to get better sounds from their future works....:\:thinking::embarrassed::)

i only think the clips for the songs are bad directed ,well some songs (2 of them)suck donkey penis :princess of china ,paradise(the para para thing) but thats about it the rest is brilliant also i feel bad that they didn't release major minus like it was played live but they have a contract with parlophone or smth so that explains it

Never said Coldplay owe me anything. I DID say, however, that this was just only my opinion. Parachutes boring? Yikes, probably one of their best pieces of work ever. But again, that's just my opinion. I'm fine with changing your sound, but I think it's okay to draw ideas/themes from the past as well.

About MX, I had my expectations a little high because of Viva La Vida so I was kind of dissapointed when ETIAW came out and they played the first gigs at festivals, not that I disliked the songs, I was just waiting for a VLVII lets say. But after listening to the whole thing I really love it, not as much as Viva, but love it.

Parachutes was boring anyway.

Finally someone that thinks the same as me about that album. There are some really good songs, but listening to the whole thing might be painful (High Speed and Sparks are extremelly boring)

Viva La Vida the album told a story, it's not only possibly to listen to it from start to beginning, it's f_cking incredible to do so.

I'm a Coldplay fan since the Yellow video came out and i have to strongly disagree with this, i actually think that VLV is a collection of songs that sometimes don't have much to do with each other, most of them are GREAT songs but it's not as cohesive an album as MX. I think that MX has one song that could be considered 'filler' and that song is UFO but other than that, they are all good to great songs that make an excellent album :)

I agree, the songs tell a story to me. I can't listen to them separately without feeling like I haven't had the whole of everything. Parachutes was good, but like you said it wasn't really that exciting.

I wasn't disappointed. At all.

I do think some of the lyrics are weak. Call me crazy, but I think that too elaborate lyrics wouldn't work with such popy tunes anyway.

So in a way, it's a good thing. :marthastewart:

I'm glad they're happy. They've gotta be in good places in their lives in order to produce such an optimistic album.

I hope LP6 will be more serious, more rocky and even more experimental. I don't want MX II. Considering their history, we know they won't repeat themselves.

the fans live in the commercial and showbiz, and other bullshit for listen Coldplay but never live with the band their priority and what they have in their heads and hearts when they write. it is a dissappointment totale for me .

Perhaps they should start listening to the sound a bit. not know

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIV-JaWTpaY&feature=related]Coldplay - Don't let it break your heart Lyrics - YouTube[/ame]