✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Dissappointment with MX

ISawSparks06

I still think that the melodies on MX are some of coldplay's strongest but I would agree that the lyrics aren't their best effort on certain songs. I imagine that the production is another significant factor to some people's disappointment. I would be curious to hear the album stripped down a bit, not necessarily acoustic, but rather the same melodies, say, over AROBTTH/X&Y style instumentation. Detractors of MX may have had a completely different view of the album.

Either way, HLH, CB and MM are up there with some of my favourite Coldplay songs so I'm not complaining!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think that the melodies on MX are some of coldplay's strongest but I would agree that the lyrics aren't their best effort on certain songs. I imagine that the production is another significant factor to some people's disappointment. I would be curious to hear the album stripped down a bit, not necessarily acoustic, but rather the same melodies, say, over AROBTTH/X&Y style instumentation. Detractors of MX may have had a completely different view of the album.

wow you've hit the nail right on the head! MX wouldn't bother me so much if............

I personally am in love with MX. Every aspect that people note as a disappointment I see as another reason to love the album (with regards to the production). Lyrically, it's not bad.

Then again, I'm also a hardcore U2 fan, so maybe I like Coldplay's new direction because it shares some qualities of U2's style as well.

I personally am in love with MX. Every aspect that people note as a disappointment I see as another reason to love the album (with regards to the production). Lyrically, it's not bad.

Then again, I'm also a hardcore U2 fan, so maybe I like Coldplay's new direction because it shares some qualities of U2's style as well.

:nod:

I'm a fresh U2 fan and after loving all of their albums and seeing a lot of their concerts, I want my Coldplay to be more produced.

Moreover, MX is nice and cute, I'm glad it's more upbeat than their early work, but I want their future albums to be more badass!

They've made a decision of being a stadium rock band, and if they want to challenge U2, they need to make moar rock songs like GPASUYF.

But also, AROBTTH is widely considered to be their best album, and it consists of stripped down songs.

If they could come up with brilliant lyrics and brilliant melodies, detailed production isn't necessary.

And I perfectly understand people who want that approach. Personally, I like both.

Underneath the "overproduced" wrapping of Paradise, lies a glorious melody:

If the lyrics were better, it would easily be one of the best (Coldplay) songs ever.

I honestly don't pay any attention to stuff like production and sequencing and other technical aspects and such most of the time when I listen to music. Any music I listen to, I just go based off of things like how the songs make me feel (happy/sad/feel like dancing or singing/etc.), if I can relate to them, if I like the story they're telling, stuff like that.

And on that level, Mylo Xyloto works just fine for me.

I'm with Wintergreen here. I don't really focus on what goes into making an album regarding the production/musical concepts behind it. I only ask one question: does it work? Exploring the musical inspirations behind the album is not a valid way to judge an album. It is a great way to explore the dynamics of the band and see how they work.

If you ask me about Mylo Xyloto, it works.

And regarding Coldplay's challenging U2, I don't think there are many other acts that challenge U2, to be honest (from an admittedly slightly biased opinion). After their 360 Tour swept the world, any attempt to outclass them is futile (stick with me here). I think Coldplay shouldn't change their style just because they want to try and be like another band. Mylo Xyloto, while sharing some aspects of U2, still has Coldplay written all over it. That's another reason why it works so well. When people go to a Coldplay concert, they don't expect to see Chris giving political speeches about Africa. They expect to see Chris run around the stage during every song, showering the crowd with his sweat. That's what makes Coldplay so unique and I'm sure nobody wants that to change.

However, I do give them major props for the Xylo bands, which essentially turn the audience into a part of the lightshow. I think it's ingenious and something that Coldplay would definitely do. I'm excited to see it deployed in the stadium setting!

It sounds too polished, too clean, like it's had all life and energy drained out of it. The vocals have that flat, distant sound to it which is a major problem for me but the music itself has lifeless production. It's my problem with most of the album.

+100000

there are some awesome songs, but seriously why does Chris need to auto tune his voice... when I already hear her everywhere else why do I have to hear Rihianna on a Coldplay album?? Coldplay is best when they sound organic, Us Against the World and Up With the Birds could have been some of their absolute best but imo they are just to over produced....and those are the most organic sounding songs on the album:\

+100000

there are some awesome songs, but seriously why does Chris need to auto tune his voice... when I already hear her everywhere else why do I have to hear Rihianna on a Coldplay album?? Coldplay is best when they sound organic, Us Against the World and Up With the Birds could have been some of their absolute best but imo they are just to over produced....and those are the most organic sounding songs on the album:\

I can understand why people think Hurts Like Heaven, Paradise and co are over produced.

But Us Against the World? Really? It's so under produced that Chris' voice cracks and slightly goes off key. It's as organic as Coldplay ever have been.

I can understand why people think Hurts Like Heaven, Paradise and co are over produced.

But Us Against the World? Really? It's so under produced that Chris' voice cracks and slightly goes off key. It's as organic as Coldplay ever have been.

I was really speaking more about Up With the Birds, but can you honestly say that??

^ he doesn't know what he speaks of

I actually do, my day job is in front of a studio, and I guess you just don't truly hear all the guitar layering done on the track, I'm not 100 positive but I wouldn't be suprised if the suddle harmonies midway through the track have some light auto tune, it has wayyy too much reverb and delay at the very least.

I think they are both GREAT songs dont get me wrong. But here is a perfect example, I heard this version the day after it was posted on the channel, I had never heard of this band and I thought this was an amazing song....a few days later I heard the studio version and thought all of the life was sucked out of it, couldn't stand it but I knew it was going to blow up though, and it sure has

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQLGhPHzxjc]Fun.: We Are Young ft. Janelle Monáe (ACOUSTIC) - YouTube[/ame]

I want to hear these songs in that type of setting, and it's just my opinion....I'm not saying the music is bad because I don't think that at all

I honestly don't pay any attention to stuff like production and sequencing and other technical aspects and such most of the time when I listen to music. Any music I listen to, I just go based off of things like how the songs make me feel (happy/sad/feel like dancing or singing/etc.), if I can relate to them, if I like the story they're telling, stuff like that.

And on that level, Mylo Xyloto works just fine for me.

:nod:

Mylo Xyloto made me so happy. It pulled me out of a dark time in my life and opened up the window to a group that I had liked but have since fallen in love with. Sometimes when I've had a bad day I'll listen to MX (the entire album) and feel better. I don't really care for the "quality" of the lyrics or if things have been autotuned. I've really fallen in love with them, and I thus like anything they'll create as long as it makes me happy, which MX does :)

Oveproduced - the word that sums up the reasons for my not liking the album.

To add some more, it just seems to me like this whole era is a "like us,people!" sort of thing... It is way too commercial, everything about it. And the video for Charlie Brown just proved it , with fireworks, teenagers and Chris' constant and irritating bouncing.

Oh the bouncing...

I just don't like where they see themselves now, that's it.

I actually do, my day job is in front of a studio, and I guess you just don't truly hear all the guitar layering done on the track, I'm not 100 positive but I wouldn't be suprised if the suddle harmonies midway through the track have some light auto tune, it has wayyy too much reverb and delay at the very least.

Yes, you are now an expert on music and production, and what sounds like 'too much' and 'not much'

I think some of my disappointment with this album was partially due to growing out of the band.

They are at least trying to be lyrically different, I think, so it also kind of came off as less honest. There are no songs on this album I can relate to (as opposed to A Rush of Blood to the Head, which honestly sounds more mature lyrically and musically)--so I can't listen to Mylo Xyloto and feel any kind of attachment because I feel nothing for what they're saying. I wasn't expecting a return to a previous sound, but I was expecting music that connected with me, because Coldplay has always been good at that.

I can't say for sure that MX is bad because I can't find any common ground with it. I can't identify, so I can't even begin to judge without being overly critical. That doesn't make it a bad album; it just means that, maybe, when I'm 35, I'll be a happier person, like Chris. :disappointed:

• 2 weeks later...
Oveproduced - the word that sums up the reasons for my not liking the album.

To add some more, it just seems to me like this whole era is a "like us,people!" sort of thing... It is way too commercial, everything about it. And the video for Charlie Brown just proved it , with fireworks, teenagers and Chris' constant and irritating bouncing.

Oh the bouncing...

I just don't like where they see themselves now, that's it.

lollll wow i hadn't realised how annoying all their jumping up and down was untill you mentioned it! you're right whats that all about?!!