✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Dissappointment with MX

ISawSparks06

Nice thread! It made me go in huge post mode. :uhoh:

I'm completely in between opinions on this album. Half of me thinks it's a piece of plastic like Tomsu described, it feels faked and forced in many ways. The other part of me fell in love with the catchy tunes and cohesion on this album. (I do think the it flows very nicely, I don't think it tells a story more than any of their previous albums.) The colours are gorgeous and their onstage presence is better than ever, but I hate the massive promotion, their aim for a new, younger audience and I'm afraid they're going to sell out.

I guess the main thing is that their music is all 'don't worry be happy' now, while there used to be more mixed feelings in their songs, which is far more interesting both emotionally and musically.

On the other hand I also think there are some purely GREAT songs on this album and I can only support them trying new things. Even Rihanna, if that's what they truly want.

Chris said he thinks if they're doing another album, they'll do something small. I'm holding onto that now, which is probably stupid since it was Chris Martin saying it.

The point is, if LP6 is something completely different from Mylo Xyloto, I'd be totally fine with this little experiment. I'm probably going to support MX for the rest of my life because I'd understand they needed to try this. But if it's the same direction or even more 'pop', I'm going to have to find a new favourite band. Maybe.

Must admit though that some things in this era have turned out to be more than outstanding. Like the Paradise video, the Xylobands and the best concert I've ever been to.

And Chris's arms.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are definitely experimenting on the POP side of this ALBUM, they are also experimenting more ON THE INSTRUMENTALS with the synths , less lyrics its all about ATMOSPHERE, and I quite get there point and theyre experimentation for me is great.

great for a pop record for a band!

1.Reading how people are disappointed and think they'll "give up" on the band makes me sad :(

I just love Coldplay so much, and it's silly, but honestly it makes me sad to see that some fans don't seem to get...touched by their songs anymore. I hope one day they'll fall in love with them again :\

2. As for Eno, I'm torn: Amazing contributions, but on the other hand, I'm afraid they have become or will become soon his music bitches :\ They've learned a lot from him, but maybe it is time to fly on their own ? But are they still aware they can make great music without him ? :\

Nice thread! It made me go in huge post mode. :uhoh:

I'm completely in between opinions on this album. Half of me thinks it's a piece of plastic like Tomsu described, it feels faked and forced in many ways. The other part of me fell in love with the catchy tunes and cohesion on this album. (I do think the it flows very nicely, I don't think it tells a story more than any of their previous albums.) The colours are gorgeous and their onstage presence is better than ever, but I hate the massive promotion, their aim for a new, younger audience and I'm afraid they're going to sell out.

I guess the main thing is that their music is all 'don't worry be happy' now, while there used to be more mixed feelings in their songs, which is far more interesting both emotionally and musically.

On the other hand I also think there are some purely GREAT songs on this album and I can only support them trying new things. Even Rihanna, if that's what they truly want.

Chris said he thinks if they're doing another album, they'll do something small. I'm holding onto that now, which is probably stupid since it was Chris Martin saying it.

The point is, if LP6 is something completely different from Mylo Xyloto, I'd be totally fine with this little experiment. I'm probably going to support MX for the rest of my life because I'd understand they needed to try this. But if it's the same direction or even more 'pop', I'm going to have to find a new favourite band. Maybe.

Must admit though that some things in this era have turned out to be more than outstanding. Like the Paradise video, the Xylobands and the best concert I've ever been to.

And Chris's arms.

very well put :thumbsup:

and in response to Wintergreen, sorry i didnt sugarcoat it but thats how i feel. and considering the kind of people they hang out with i wouldnt rule out a collaboration with pitbull or J lo! (okay im bein sarcastic now obviously that'll never happen)

but the whole giving up on the band thing is too silly. if they come up with the same stuff in another two consecutive albums THEN they've truly betrayed a lot of the fans. for the time being we'll let them deal with their midlife crisis and enjoy all the teenage attention

and in response to Wintergreen, sorry i didnt sugarcoat it but thats how i feel. and considering the kind of people they hang out with i wouldnt rule out a collaboration with pitbull or J lo! (okay im bein sarcastic now obviously that'll never happen)

No, that's fine, and I hope I didn't come off confrontational or anything. I appreciate the honesty, even though I disagree.

Yeah. I don't forsee that stuff happening, I really think the collaboration here was, as I said elsewhere, a genuine experiment, just to see what would happen. I don't see this becoming a trend or anything. But if they do more of these, I'd like to see what else happens. I understand if an artist isn't to everyone's liking, but I also would hope people wouldn't shut out listening to it just because it's a "pop" artist or a "rap" artist or whatever.

And the whole "they've gone pop" thing still amuses me. I always thought they were pop. They have some rock elements, yes, but they've been in the top 40 for years, most people view them as a pop band as it is (yeah, critics call them alternative, and some people refer to them as a rock band, but there's many average listeners who would beg to differ). Pop isn't just a word confined to the J Los and Britneys and Rihannas and such of the world. Pop can describe all sorts of other bands' sounds, too, even ones that feature actual instruments.

but the whole giving up on the band thing is too silly. if they come up with the same stuff in another two consecutive albums THEN they've truly betrayed a lot of the fans. for the time being we'll let them deal with their midlife crisis and enjoy all the teenage attention

They're in their early 30s, bit soon for a midlife crisis, I'd think. And what's so bad about teenagers coming to the band? They can't help when they were born, first off, so it's only natural this will likely be their first introduction to Coldplay, 'cause they were a bit young for the earlier work to sink in, and depending on where they live and what got played in their homes growing up, they may not have had as much exposure as others did to the band's music. Second, between these guys and the other top 40 stuff out there that many here hate, I would think we'd all be fine with teenagers listening to these guys instead of Pitbull or J Lo or whoever.

If some teenager's interest is a passing fad, then ride out the fad and they'll move on to their next obsession in a month or two's time. People who really like these guys will dig deeper and stick around, I think.

I've given it 5 months and I just can't really love the album. It has some good songs, it has some okay songs, and then Up in Flames which is the one I always skip. I don't really care about what style they are going for, what we need is some GREAT songs. This album is missing them. I'll pop in Viva or XY and I am totally envigorated style. MX is my only cd in my one car and I throw it in when nothing else is on the radio. Its just fine. And that performance was so underwhelming.

I love MX and, after 3 months, I'm really starting to think it's a masterpiece. I like how they cleverly used all their influeces (from Bob Dylan to hip hop) and how variegated is the album's sound. I really don't want them to use the stupid "going back to the roots" clichè: I'd rather prefer seeing them going to a more electronic/experimental direction than having an album full of bad copies of Yellow and Clocks and I think they should make a more extensive use of synths (yes, I've said it). I don't really like POC (not because of Rihanna, I haven't liked that song since they played it at Rock Im Park) but I just don't care about it that much. I also think they should keep Eno for at least the next two albums because he's probably the best producer they could have and they really don't need Dravs and Simpson (despite I think they're very good producers)

PS. I've always found Parachutes really boring as an album. Yes, there are songs like Don't Panic, Spies, Yellow and Trouble that are awesome but the rest to me is just..... meh :\

^ :nod:

I think they would rather kill themselves than do 5 Parachutes. Get over it, "going back to the Parachutes style" is never gonna happen.

It's clear they're aiming for U2 heights, meaning less sappy lyrics and more complex music, and that is how it should be.

(I'm hoping for an upbeat complex LP6, but less Toys Я Us and more "serious motifs", whatever that means.)

I think they would rather kill themselves than do 5 Parachutes. Get over it, "going back to the Parachutes style" is never gonna happen.

It's clear they're aiming for U2 heights, meaning less sappy lyrics and more complex music, and that is how it should be.

This :nod:

It's clear they're aiming for U2 heights, meaning less sappy lyrics

"I could've been a Princess, you'd be a king

Could've had a castle, and wore a ring

But noooooo, you let me gooooooo!

And stole my star"

"CAUSE YOU REALLY HURT ME, NO YOU REALLY HURT ME"

Yes, there is some sappiness on MX too.

POC probably has the worst lyrics on the record.

And you left out the worst part: lalalalalalalalalala. Why? :|

That's Coldplay, they write "sad boyfriend songs". - Chris Martin

But not as many as they used to. Thank God.

^ :nod:

(I'm hoping for an upbeat complex LP6, but less Toys Я Us and more "serious motifs", whatever that means.)

I for one don't want them to go back to the Parachutes style, but forwards to a more stripped back style, and I think that's what a lot of other want as well. And incidentally they are not making more complex music. Also what Emma said.

Excuse me but Britney is untouchable. I'd rather listen to Britney bitch than Coldplay's new failed attempt at being cool.

I don't even really like Britney but that's a sad reality.

I love Britney and I freely admit it. I can also admit how disappointed I am with MX.

Us against the world has very good lyrics though, and viva had the beat lyrics as a compact album. The funny thing is that before the album was released Chris said that 'Jonny was their hero as He was finally coming to his own in this album" , but I find the least amount Guitar in this album. Except major minus I cannot think of one song which has a good guitar riff unlike previous albums.

So, I really hope their album is good and has a darker feel with more guitar riffs and better lyrics like AROBTH or VLVODAHF!

I heard Rainy Day over the weekend, at a Sears(very weird), and thought to myself, "this is better than 90% of the MX album." The songs are just not up to the A level songs we expect from them. They seem like b-sides, aside from Charlie Brown (which lacks a great chorus, not that I think it should have one).

The funny thing is that before the album was released Chris said that 'Jonny was their hero as He was finally coming to his own in this album" , but I find the least amount Guitar in this album. Except major minus I cannot think of one song which has a good guitar riff unlike previous albums.

So, I really hope their album is good and has a darker feel with more guitar riffs and better lyrics like AROBTH or VLVODAHF!

Jonny is EVERYWHERE, the amazing parts on Hurts Like Heaven, the riff at the end of Paradise, Charlie Brown, the intro of UATW, all around ETIAW, MM and so on...

Jonny is EVERYWHERE, the amazing parts on Hurts Like Heaven, the riff at the end of Paradise, Charlie Brown, the intro of UATW, all around ETIAW, MM and so on...

I've always thought that JB is the x-factor. The more he's in a song the better, IMO

I heard Rainy Day over the weekend, at a Sears(very weird), and thought to myself, "this is better than 90% of the MX album." The songs are just not up to the A level songs we expect from them. They seem like b-sides, aside from Charlie Brown (which lacks a great chorus, not that I think it should have one).

:nod:

MX was probably 2011's biggest disappointment for me. I had hope after enjoying (yes, ENJOYING) Every Teardrop and loving Paradise. Then I loved what I heard of Hurts Like Heaven and Charlie Brown live. Then the album came out and as soon as I heard the studio version of HLH I was like 'Well...'

MX just sounds over-produced, to the point where it comes across as overly superficial and lifeless. I also consider it a bit of a mess. Like it doesn't really have any continuity between songs. It just sounds like random songs thrown together, like a compilation or something.