✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

HAPPY ST.PATRICK'S DAY BITCHES.

EmmaLouiseSmyth

I don't know what people's family histories are on here, but I've just come to accept and/or ignore when people say they are 1/2 or 1/4 Irish :| No offence to the people on here, they could easily have irish grandparents or great grandparents but so many people claim to be irish.

Hahahaha I do that on here and generally. Especially the amount of people who actually just say "Oh! I'm Irish too!" my instant reaction is to say nothing at all, and it turns out they think that some far off distant relative MAY have been born in Ireland.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be one quarter Irish you must have one grandparent who was full Irish. To be one eight Irish would be to have one great grandparent who was full Irish. To be one twelfth Irish you must have one great great grandparent who was full Irish. Of course by this stage it means nothing.

Having ancestors doesn't make you a quarter Irish.

yes. this needs to be drilled into so many peoples heads.

:laugh3:

Hahahaha I do that on here and generally. Especially the amount of people who actually just say "Oh! I'm Irish too!" my instant reaction is to say nothing at all, and it turns out they think that some far off distant relative MAY have been born in Ireland.

I don't feel too bad for doing it now.

They say from around 1848 - 1950 over 6 million adults and children emigrated from Ireland... so people could have irish ancestors.

For such a small island, why are there so many of us? D;

My great-grandmother was Irish. :blank:

dats nice.

only joking.

What part was she from? do you know? :nice:

My great-grandparents were from in Ireland, making me 1/4 Irish. They were from somewhere in Cork. :)

No, that makes you 1/8th Irish, which is starting to be small enough that it doesn't warrant a mention. Learn to math.

My great-grandparents were from in Ireland, making me 1/4 Irish. They were from somewhere in Cork. :)
Okay, let me try to get this.

You get half from your parents so:

Mum, dad: Each 50% (1/2) of which one 50% contains of

Grandparents: Each 50%, which makes you 25% (1/4)

Great-grandparents: Each again 50% to the above, since both are from Ireland, that would be 100% of 50% of 50%, so 25% (1/4)

My (and I guess Cobalt’s) problem which this is, that according to this reasoning it doesn’t matter where you were born, or your parents, or your grandparents. If both parents would be from Ireland, but you are born in US, would that make you 100% Irish or 50%? Because if the last is true, then one grandparent of you was 50% Irish and one parent ¼ of this (12,5%), and that would make you only (¼ of 12,5%) 3% Irish. If two US citizens go and emigrate to Ireland, would their child then be 100% American or partly Irish? How many generations would it take to become part of where you got born, was raised, lived all your life and adapt to the people living there? Is this simply a matter of “I don’t know where my other great-grandparents or their descendants come from, so that is then American” ?

I am not saying you made a wrong calculation or that you are wrong, I don’t know the answer to this myself, so I found myself wondering about this, t’was all :S

Also because in my case my mum is from Canada. Does that make me 50% Canadian or 25%? And does it matter where her parents come from, because they were immigrants, so that would make me even less than 25% Canadian or maybe even nothing at all, even though I love Canadian maple syrup and eat my sandwiches with peanut butter and jam on top?

Okay, let me try to get this.

You get half from your parents so:

Mum, dad: Each 50% (1/2) of which one 50% contains of

Grandparents: Each 50%, which makes you 25% (1/4)

Great-grandparents: Each again 50% to the above, since both are from Ireland, that would be 100% of 50% of 50%, so 25% (1/4)

Oh woops I didn't read that both were from there... ignore me, your maths is indeed fine

Do quarter ancestries count?

Actually I find it interesting, Australia is one of those countries where everyone comes from somewhere else (unless they're like Aborigine or first settlers or sth) so people put more importance on it somehow. Like it's an actual question you ask to get to know the person, I don't know why, and people like discovering their roots and some show it off

...I hope that makes sense

If you are a commonwealth citizen and you have one grandparent who is British or Irish, you can apply for an ancestry visa.
This is not the same as being a quarter something, right? Because in coldplayfan's case her grandparents are US, but one of them had parents from Ireland. It would make her 1/4th Irish (depending on how you see these things, I still don't get it) but not able then to apply for an ancestry visa, right?

This is not the same as being a quarter something, right? Because in coldplayfan's case her grandparents are US, but one of them had parents from Ireland. It would make her 1/4th Irish (depending on how you see these things, I still don't get it) but not able then to apply for an ancestry visa, right?

It depends on how you define it. If you mean Irish to have an Irish citizenship then she'd be 1/8 Irish because her great-grandparents were the Irish ones and none of her four grandparents were Irish citizens. If you think of Irish to mean to be of Irish blood, she'd be 1/4 Irish because one of her grandparents has full Irish blood (with both parents being Irish).

I don't see why this matters though. Maybe your grandparent's nationality effects you very slightly but great grandparent's nationality doesn't mean much at all.

They have to have an Irish passport, I think.

I would have to ask my Canadian friend who is applying for it if you really want to know :)