✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

2013 shows- where are Coldplay playing next year?

MXHLH

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know a lot about American stadiums etc but surely they could play in some NFL teams stadiums? Or Baseball? What are they 40-80,000?? They could fill them right?

In some places, yes, but not everywhere. They're a slightly smaller live draw in North America than they are in most of Europe. They could fill stadiums in some of the biggest major markets though. In 2009 they played the Roger's Centre (former Skydome) in Toronto which is a stadium and did sell out. They've also drawn around 35,000 in single gigs in Southern California, and Alpine Valley which is considered to be on the outside edge of the Chicago drawing area.

In some places, yes, but not everywhere. They're a slightly smaller live draw in North America than they are in most of Europe. They could fill stadiums in some of the biggest major markets though. In 2009 they played the Roger's Centre (former Skydome) in Toronto which is a stadium and did sell out. They've also drawn around 35,000 in single gigs in Southern California, and Alpine Valley which is considered to be on the outside edge of the Chicago drawing area.

Ah okay that's cool, but I always presumed what with more people and a bigger market etc gigs in America would be HUGE compared to European ones

Something tells me there won't be a second leg for the US/NA. Before, they would stop in a city on the first leg, then stop there again on the second leg. But with the MX tour, they're already doing two dates in many of the cities. Frankly I think it would be a bit silly for them to do second leg this time around. I'd rather they spend the time in the studio.

If they don't do a second NA leg, a lot of people are going to be extremely disappointed and it would definitely raise quite a few question marks about their ability to sustain a global tour, especially since it didn't initially start in stadiums.

But then there's also the question of how long they can fiscally afford to stay on the road. It's already been mentioned several times that this tour could bankrupt the band, so they may be forced to cut it short.

I've seen them live three times in the past (2007, 2010, 2011) in Rio, but I never went to more than one gig here in SA (a lot of people go to two or more shows in nearby cities or countries).

I'm seriously considering doing a little South America tour if they come down next year. Brasil, Argentina, Peru, wherever they do go. :)

If they don't do a second NA leg, a lot of people are going to be extremely disappointed and it would definitely raise quite a few question marks about their ability to sustain a global tour, especially since it didn't initially start in stadiums.

But then there's also the question of how long they can fiscally afford to stay on the road. It's already been mentioned several times that this tour could bankrupt the band, so they may be forced to cut it short.

I don't think it would raise too many questions. Assuming they don't play any additional dates, the band will have played 85 shows by the end of the MX tour. If you add in all their 2011 festival/south african dates (and really there's no reason not to consider them part of the current touring cycle.), that number increases to 107 shows, which is a respectible number for any tour, especially one with a large number of stadium shows. In addition, they will have toured North America, Europe, South Africa and Australia/New Zealand.

By way of comparison, U2's Elevation tour, widely credited as re-establishing them as the world's top live act, played a total of 110 shows, and only traveled to North America and Europe.

People who live in areas not visited by this tour will likely be disappointed no question, but the tour will have been impressive enough, in a commercial sense, as is.

Uhm, as far as I know they just had to replace Spies in Parachutes to release the album there, but there's no ban on the band, a bit like White Lies who played in China last week and they couldn't play Unfinished Business.

Amber, I really hope they will come and play there one day :hug:

I don't think it would raise too many questions. Assuming they don't play any additional dates, the band will have played 85 shows by the end of the MX tour. If you add in all their 2011 festival/south african dates (and really there's no reason not to consider them part of the current touring cycle.), that number increases to 107 shows, which is a respectible number for any tour, especially one with a large number of stadium shows. In addition, they will have toured North America, Europe, South Africa and Australia/New Zealand.

By way of comparison, U2's Elevation tour, widely credited as re-establishing them as the world's top live act, played a total of 110 shows, and only traveled to North America and Europe.

People who live in areas not visited by this tour will likely be disappointed no question, but the tour will have been impressive enough, in a commercial sense, as is.

I don't think comparing MX to U2's Elevation Tour is quite fair since the Elevation Tour has immense sentimental value for the US because they announced the second North American leg after the 9/11 attacks and even played a series of shows in New York. Even though that tour wasn't very long, most people did not believe a second North American leg would even happen because of the attacks. But U2 came to the states anyways and turned many songs from ATYCLB into songs that spoke directly to general sentiment that US citizens were feeling at the time. The tour that spoke on an emotional level to the most powerful nation in the world in their time of need easily secured U2's position as the world's top live act. Coldplay's MX Tour is good, but it is by no means speaking to any nation as a whole on an emotional level, at least not in the same way the Elevation did.

The reason why I say that a short tour would raise questions is because the MX tour has the misfortune of following the behemoth 360 Tour. Coldplay and U2 are both bands that occupy similar genres and even share the same fanbase. The only difference is that Coldplay's most recent release was a commercial hit while U2's, not so much. In spite of this, MX has started with a couple snags, the main one being the short setlist.

The only way I can see them ending the tour without going to North America again is if they keep the setlist at around 20 songs for the entirety of the tour. Fans would still grumble about the short setlist, but they would give the band the benefit of the doubt for being consistent. But if they increase the setlist length, all the locations visited during the early stages of the tour would definitely feel bitter if they didn't make a return trip.

Also, I'm not sure where you got the impression that the tour is impressive from a commercial standpoint since the tour has a very real risk of bankrupting the band...

Think about U2's ZooTV Tour. It was ingenious, extravagant, and superb from a presentation standpoint. From a commercial standpoint, dragging a TV station across the world nearly drove the band to bankruptcy.

Portland

Boise

Salt Lake City

Denver

Las Vegas

Sacramento

San Diego

Phoenix

Albuquerque

San Antonio or Austin

New Orleans

Oklahoma City

Birmingham, Alabama

Nashville / Memphis

Louisville

Cincinnati

Columbus

Cleveland

St. Louis

Indianapolis

Kansas City

Omaha

Des Moines

Milwaukee / East Troy-Alpine

Winnipeg

Pittsburgh

Buffalo

Albany / Saratoga Springs

Hartford

Scranton / Hershey

Charlottesville or Virginia Beach

Raleigh

These are all cities that have not been played yet that were played on the VLV or X&Y tours. I'm not saying they have to play all these cities, but they probably could do arena or amphitheater shows in most of these cities and sell a decent amount of tickets. Also, return visits to the following are possible:

DC/Baltimore area

Philly

NYC

Boston

Montreal

Toronto

Chicago

LA

2013, latin america in february/march "confirmed":

México, Brasil, Argentina, Chile, Peru, Venezuela, Uruguai, Paraguai

after (or before latin america shows) , Asia, maybe? Japan, South Korea, Singapore?

after, more north american and europe shows?

good questions...

I don't think comparing MX to U2's Elevation Tour is quite fair since the Elevation Tour has immense sentimental value for the US because they announced the second North American leg after the 9/11 attacks and even played a series of shows in New York. Even though that tour wasn't very long, most people did not believe a second North American leg would even happen because of the attacks. But U2 came to the states anyways and turned many songs from ATYCLB into songs that spoke directly to general sentiment that US citizens were feeling at the time. The tour that spoke on an emotional level to the most powerful nation in the world in their time of need easily secured U2's position as the world's top live act. Coldplay's MX Tour is good, but it is by no means speaking to any nation as a whole on an emotional level, at least not in the same way the Elevation did.

The reason why I say that a short tour would raise questions is because the MX tour has the misfortune of following the behemoth 360 Tour. Coldplay and U2 are both bands that occupy similar genres and even share the same fanbase. The only difference is that Coldplay's most recent release was a commercial hit while U2's, not so much. In spite of this, MX has started with a couple snags, the main one being the short setlist.

The only way I can see them ending the tour without going to North America again is if they keep the setlist at around 20 songs for the entirety of the tour. Fans would still grumble about the short setlist, but they would give the band the benefit of the doubt for being consistent. But if they increase the setlist length, all the locations visited during the early stages of the tour would definitely feel bitter if they didn't make a return trip.

Also, I'm not sure where you got the impression that the tour is impressive from a commercial standpoint since the tour has a very real risk of bankrupting the band...

Think about U2's ZooTV Tour. It was ingenious, extravagant, and superb from a presentation standpoint. From a commercial standpoint, dragging a TV station across the world nearly drove the band to bankruptcy.

Elevation was just an example. There are plenty of other major tours that feature similar numbers.

As to the setlist length, while it may be short, it's well in line with Coldplay's historic norm, so as far as I'm concerned that's a non issue for the purposes of this discussion. Any critisism the band gets on this front will not be new critisism.

As to the bankruptcy thing, you're off base there as well. While it has been reported (perhaps accurately, perhaps not) that the technical elements are eating up most of the revenue, that's entirely different from "bankrupting the band". Any tour that posts the attedence and revenue numbers that the MX tour (or ZooTV or even Popmart) is considered a commercial success by industry standards regardless of the actual net profits the band makes from same. Though, for the record, ZooTV was a moneymaker, it was Popmart that lost a ton of money for U2.

after (or before latin america shows) , Asia, maybe? Japan, South Korea, Singapore?

good questions...

It´s UruguaY and ParaguaY. Thanks. :rolleyes:

Please, PLEASE, more South America dates and especially URUGUAY!!

good questions...

Until the band actually confirms this from their end, I wouldn't get too exited. There's been a lot of "confirmed" dates over the years that never actually came to pass.

Portland

Boise

Salt Lake City

Denver

Las Vegas

Sacramento

San Diego

Phoenix

Albuquerque

San Antonio or Austin

New Orleans

Oklahoma City

Birmingham, Alabama

Nashville / Memphis

Louisville

Cincinnati

Columbus

Cleveland

St. Louis

Indianapolis

Kansas City

Omaha

Des Moines

Milwaukee / East Troy-Alpine

Winnipeg

Pittsburgh

Buffalo

Albany / Saratoga Springs

Hartford

Scranton / Hershey

Charlottesville or Virginia Beach

Raleigh

These are all cities that have not been played yet that were played on the VLV or X&Y tours. I'm not saying they have to play all these cities, but they probably could do arena or amphitheater shows in most of these cities and sell a decent amount of tickets. Also, return visits to the following are possible:

DC/Baltimore area

Philly

NYC

Boston

Montreal

Toronto

Chicago

LA

Portland was one of the handful of cities they played on the first NA leg (unless you mean Portland Maine, but they've never played there)

are you all fucking kidding me???

people would be dissapointed if they don do a SECOND LEG on the us/na ???

shut up!!!!

folks, you have an entire tour for just one country, ONE FUCKING Country! .. people complaing about the band not playing in THEIR OWN CITIES? and because they have to drive like one hour to go to one concert on another city "so far away".. shut up!!!!!!!

do you know how the fuck is living in south américa?

we have to wait like three years for having them playing ONE FUCKING SHOW in just one city!!! some people have to travel the whooooole country here in argentina to go to their show in Buenos Aires, and if you don't know, my country is BIG.

In 2012 I travelled for 7 hours to go there, and spent a lot of money in hotels and stuff ... just a milacre can bring the guys here on a extraordinary date like was Rio because they were playing festivals.

You guys complains a lot and you don't know how lucky you are!

:bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb:

sorry for my english i'm not even using a translator... and i'm angry -.-

ps: to be honest, an objective, I don't think there'll be a second leg for NA, I think they'll come here in march/april and maybe the should do south africa u.u

^ I agree. It's way easier to travel around the US and Europe than traveling in some Latin American countries.

I've had the feeling that this is going to be a short tour (compared to the VLV one). I feel like next year they will only tour Latin America, and they tend to end all of their tours here (i'm not saying this is something that will never change).

It's weird that they haven't toured asia (or at least I don't think there has been rumors about it) :thinking:

It´s UruguaY and ParaguaY. Thanks. :rolleyes:

In portuguese it's written with an "i" instead of "y". He must be brazilian or portuguese.

shut up!!!!

folks, you have an entire tour for just one country, ONE FUCKING Country! .. people complaing about the band not playing in THEIR OWN CITIES? and because they have to drive like one hour to go to one concert on another city "so far away".. shut up!!!!!!!

we have to wait like three years for having them playing ONE FUCKING SHOW in just one city!!! some people have to travel the whooooole country here in argentina to go to their show in Buenos Aires, and if you don't know, my country is BIG.

In 2012 I travelled for 7 hours to go there, and spent a lot of money in hotels and stuff ... just a milacre can bring the guys here on a extraordinary date like was Rio because they were playing festivals.

ps: to be honest, an objective, I don't think there'll be a second leg for NA, I think they'll come here in march/april and maybe the should do south africa u.u

Fair enough, but I would also point out that there are some regions of the US that are as big, or bigger as many other countries, so travel time may be comprable even if it doesn't seem so. Particularly for this tour, there are many people in the US who would have to travel a similar amount of time to what you mentioned in order to get to a show.

shut up!!!!

Somebody is getting far too mad over absolutely nothing.

From a fiscal standpoint, it makes the most sense for the band to come back to the US. That's where all the money's at. There's no guarantee that Coldplay can sell out a stadium in most other countries. Even then, the infrastructure of the US makes it far easier to schedule dates with less costs than elsewhere.

Also, regarding an earlier post, while PopMart was not considered a commercial success, it's a well known fact that ZooTV nearly bankrupted U2. Bringing your own television station around the world is not cheap.