✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

2013 shows- where are Coldplay playing next year?

MXHLH

Don't really get why people complain so much about bands touring the USA, everyone else does the same. With the band in the top of their game, they tend to just skip some "medium" markets and go for the big ones. Btw, Coldplay is not near to have an stadium tour in the USA (a la U2 or Paul McCartney, they're just not in that league).

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't really get why people complain so much about bands touring the USA, everyone else does the same. With the band in the top of their game, they tend to just skip some "medium" markets and go for the big ones. Btw, Coldplay is not near to have an stadium tour in the USA (a la U2 or Paul McCartney, they're just not in that league).

They absolutely could (and have) fill stadiums in the biggest markets. They played stadium gigs in LA and Toronto in 2009 (both of which sold out), and many of the amphitheater venues they've played can hold crowds comprable to some stadiums. I'd agree they probably couldn't sustain a full on stadium tour here, but they probably come closer than any act of their generation to being able to pull one off. The only bands that can really fill stadiums consistantly here are all veteran bands that have been performing for 30 or 40 years.

Coldplay is definitely able to sustain a stadium tour. They certainly aren't able to pull off anything as massive as 360, but with their newest album full of hits, they would definitely be able to pull off a stadium tour. This is especially true since they had all those festival gigs to warm up. That's why many people found it surprising that they started in arenas before moving up to stadiums.

Somebody is getting far too mad over absolutely nothing.

From a fiscal standpoint, it makes the most sense for the band to come back to the US. That's where all the money's at. There's no guarantee that Coldplay can sell out a stadium in most other countries. Even then, the infrastructure of the US makes it far easier to schedule dates with less costs than elsewhere.

Also, regarding an earlier post, while PopMart was not considered a commercial success, it's a well known fact that ZooTV nearly bankrupted U2. Bringing your own television station around the world is not cheap.

I'm sorry, but that's just not true. ZooTV made profit (though not much of one) Popmart lost a lot of money.

That said, both of these tours are generally considered a case of excess over profitability. ZooTV sold out almost everywhere it played, it was a commercial success, regardless of how much profit the band actually made from the shows. Popmart was decidely less successful, especially in North America where some of the shows drew as little as 15,000-20,000 people, but on the whole it was also a commercial success. In industry terms, being a commercial success means the shows are taking in money, especially if they are taking in capacity or near capacity crowds for their venues. The term has little, if any, connection to overall net profits which are effected by how much money is being put out on production.

Coldplay is definitely able to sustain a stadium tour. They certainly aren't able to pull off anything as massive as 360, but with their newest album full of hits, they would definitely be able to pull off a stadium tour. This is especially true since they had all those festival gigs to warm up. That's why many people found it surprising that they started in arenas before moving up to stadiums.

I'm not sure about that, in some of the small to medium sized markets, their average draw is still under 10,000. Granted, many of those markets would be eliminated and consolidated in a stadium tour, but still...

Here are some figures from the VLV tour of cities they haven't visited yet. I'd say they probably won't be back to Hershey or Scranton, but all other cities seem to have fairly decent numbers.

Ottawa- 12,121 / 15,082

Denver- 11,656 / 11,656

Salt Lake City- 11,598 / 11,598

Phoenix- 13,257 / 13,257

Birmingham- 8,230 / 10,259

Virginia Beach- 15,877 / 20,055

Hartford 2009- 13,877 / 24,713

Hershey / Scranton consolidated- 11,582 / 25,770

Pittsburgh- 13,084 / 23,214

Buffalo- 12,481 / 21,193

Cincinnati- 15,375 / 20,383

Indianapolis- 19,825 / 24,680

Nashville- 13,835 / 13,835

New Orleans- 11,574 / 12,247

San Antonio- 13,152 / 13,152

Des Moines- 9,887 / 10,751

Omaha- 9,629 / 10,636

Winnipeg- 12,619 / 12,619

Sacramento- 13,339 / 18,500

San Diego- 19,588 / 19,588

East Troy- Drawing from Chicago, Milwaukee and Madison- 27,123 / 34,883

Saratoga Springs, NY- 15,200 / 25,277

Raleigh- 19,422 / 19,422

I'd say for the most part these cities warrant a return visit, perhaps consolidating Omaha/Des Moines into one show. Coldplay could not play stadiums in the US outside of NYC, Boston, Philly, Chicago, LA and possibly Washington D.C. and San Francisco. They're very popular here, but stadium concerts are nowhere near the norm in the US. Only the biggest of the big play them. U2, Paul McCartney, Bruce, Rolling Stones, etc.

Has Coldplay ever played in Providence, RI before? We have a great arena here!

They did play there as part of a radio station Christmas festival during the Parachutes tour. Other than that, no they haven't.

are you all fucking kidding me???

people would be dissapointed if they don do a SECOND LEG on the us/na ???

shut up!!!!

folks, you have an entire tour for just one country, ONE FUCKING Country! .. people complaing about the band not playing in THEIR OWN CITIES? and because they have to drive like one hour to go to one concert on another city "so far away".. shut up!!!!!!!

do you know how the fuck is living in south américa?

we have to wait like three years for having them playing ONE FUCKING SHOW in just one city!!! some people have to travel the whooooole country here in argentina to go to their show in Buenos Aires, and if you don't know, my country is BIG.

In 2012 I travelled for 7 hours to go there, and spent a lot of money in hotels and stuff ... just a milacre can bring the guys here on a extraordinary date like was Rio because they were playing festivals.

You guys complains a lot and you don't know how lucky you are!

:bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb:

sorry for my english i'm not even using a translator... and i'm angry -.-

ps: to be honest, an objective, I don't think there'll be a second leg for NA, I think they'll come here in march/april and maybe the should do south africa u.u

:nod: I agree with everything you said, if they make gigs on the same cities again I'll have to travel to either São Paulo (837 Km), Rio de Janeiro (1109 Km) or get out of my country and go to Buenos Aires (843 Km), that's annoying, they go to some quite small cities on the US, this year the only one with more than 1 million habitants was LA while in Porto Alegre (where I live) we are 1.5 million!!! IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

I think they should do an arena tour this time on South America so more cities could have them playing instead of playing stadiums in 1 or 2 cities for country.

:nod: I agree with everything you said, if they make gigs on the same cities again I'll have to travel to either São Paulo (837 Km), Rio de Janeiro (1109 Km) or get out of my country and go to Buenos Aires (843 Km), that's annoying, they go to some quite small cities on the US, this year the only one with more than 1 million habitants was LA while in Porto Alegre (where I live) we are 1.5 million!!! IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

I think they should do an arena tour this time on South America so more cities could have them playing instead of playing stadiums in 1 or 2 cities for country.

In industry terms though, South America is not a major concert market, period. There are a variety of reasons for this, but at the end of the day, the reason things are done the way they are, is that they make sense from a commercial aspect.

In industry terms though, South America is not a major concert market, period. There are a variety of reasons for this, but at the end of the day, the reason things are done the way they are, is that they make sense from a commercial aspect.

I know, the money is on the USA and most of us can't afford the exorbitant price of the tickets, all I'm saying is that sometimes it just feels wrong :embarrassed:

I know, the money is on the USA and most of us can't afford the exorbitant price of the tickets, all I'm saying is that sometimes it just feels wrong :embarrassed:

Believe me, I know how you feel. I do think that South America seems to be growing as a concert market in the last few years, though. Granted, we always come last and all, but bands and artists are including more cities or adding more dates (last year U2 added not one, but two dates in Buenos Aires for instance) . I'm not saying this will be the case with Coldplay, but one can only dream, right?

That's part of the equation, yes. It gets compounded by the fact that it's often difficult (and expensive) to transport equipment to SA, and then from country to country within. The issues involved are both logistical, and economic.

If Coldplay are worried about bringing the tour to certain places because of the costs of the wristbands cutting into the profit margins, just do away with the damned things. I'm sure it looks cool, but I would gladly give up the wristbands to see a Coldplay concert.

If Coldplay are worried about bringing the tour to certain places because of the costs of the wristbands cutting into the profit margins, just do away with the damned things. I'm sure it looks cool, but I would gladly give up the wristbands to see a Coldplay concert.

Unfortunately, at this point it may not be that easy. Already, there have been a fair number of comments here stating in no uncertain terms (with a few of them being downright hostile), that the wristbands better be there when/if the band comes to their area.:embarrassed:

I'm sorry, but that's just not true. ZooTV made profit (though not much of one) Popmart lost a lot of money.

From ZooTV wikipedia page:

The band incurred heavy expenses to produce the tour, leading to only a small profit. According to McGuinness, "We grossed $30 million in T-shirt sales. Without those we'd be fucked." Bono later said, "When we built Zoo TV, we were so close to bankruptcy that if five percent fewer people went, U2 was bankrupt. Even in our irresponsible, youthful and fatal disregard of such material matters, it was terrifying."

From ZooTV wikipedia page:

The band incurred heavy expenses to produce the tour, leading to only a small profit. According to McGuinness, "We grossed $30 million in T-shirt sales. Without those we'd be fucked." Bono later said, "When we built Zoo TV, we were so close to bankruptcy that if five percent fewer people went, U2 was bankrupt. Even in our irresponsible, youthful and fatal disregard of such material matters, it was terrifying."

Yes, it almost lost money, but in the end made a scant 4-5% net profit. (which is even stated in the passage you quoted.) The out of pocket capitalization costs at the start of the tour, did tax the band's resources, but the tour eventually recouped those costs. All of this means ZooTV=net Moneymaker, in contrast to Popmart which did not fully recoup it's costs, thus=net loser. Again though, in strictly revenue and attendence terms, both tours would have to be deemed at least some degree of commercial success, with ZooTV being by far the bigger commercial performer. How is this hard to understand?

They did play there as part of a radio station Christmas festival during the Parachutes tour. Other than that, no they haven't.

they should then come back to Providence as a headlining show. The arena of the city - The Dunkin Donuts Center- can sit between 11,000-14,000 people depending on the event. COME BACK TO PROVIDENCE!!!?!?!?

.. and look at this- The last Providence, Concert was at the AMA- a proffering arts enter that seats about 5,000... back in 2001...the setlist was only 2 songs with no encore.....

http://www.easytoplease.net/tour.php?page=detail&id=43

they should then come back to Providence as a headlining show. The arena of the city - The Dunkin Donuts Center- can sit between 11,000-14,000 people depending on the event. COME BACK TO PROVIDENCE!!!?!?!?

.. and look at this- The last Providence, Concert was at the AMA- a proffering arts enter that seats about 5,000... back in 2001...the setlist was only 2 songs with no encore.....

http://www.easytoplease.net/tour.php?page=detail&id=43"]http://www.easytoplease.net/tour.php?page=detail&id=43

The issue for markets like Providence, is that by touring industry standards, it's not only a fairly mid-size to small market, but it's also well within the drawing area of other, bigger markets like Hartford, and Boston. People who schedule tours tend to think they've covered your market with stops in those places.

The issue for markets like Providence, is that by touring industry standards, it's not only a fairly mid-size to small market, but it's also well within the drawing area of other, bigger markets like Hartford, and Boston. People who schedule tours tend to think they've covered your market with stops in those places.

true

But BLUE MAN GROUP, who plays a show every day in Boston, is coming to Providence in march. and Providence is 1 hour away from boston....

Yes, it almost lost money, but in the end made a scant 4-5% net profit. (which is even stated in the passage you quoted.) The out of pocket capitalization costs at the start of the tour, did tax the band's resources, but the tour eventually recouped those costs. All of this means ZooTV=net Moneymaker, in contrast to Popmart which did not fully recoup it's costs, thus=net loser. Again though, in strictly revenue and attendence terms, both tours would have to be deemed at least some degree of commercial success, with ZooTV being by far the bigger commercial performer. How is this hard to understand?

U2 did not lose money from Popmart. While it didn't do as well, it was also nowhere near as costly to produce and therefore did not run the risk of bankruptcy.

U2 did not lose money from Popmart. While it didn't do as well, it was also nowhere near as costly to produce and therefore did not run the risk of bankruptcy.

It's been well documented that the tour lost money overall. It is true that it was less costly to produce (and also ran just a little over half the length of ZooTV.), and that mitigated the financial consequences to the band to a great degree.

But BLUE MAN GROUP, who plays a show every day in Boston, is coming to Providence in march. and Providence is 1 hour away from boston....

I didn't say no one does it, only that a lot of acts don't because they feel they already have appropriate market coverage. Though I will add that the situation for theatre (which is essentially what Blue Man is), and even theatre or concert hall sized music tours is quite a bit different than it is for arena tours.

Does anyone have any idea if Coldplay will return to Scotland in either late 2012 or in 2013? they can't just kick the whole tour off in Scotland at the SECC in 2011 and then return to the UK this year and only do ENGLISH dates :angry: :(

Although I am seeing them in Manchester on 9th June, but still I would have preferred if they came up to the Scottish stadiums again too! such as either Glasgow's Hampden Park or the Murrayfield Stadium in Edinburgh/Haymarket, both would make brilliant places for Coldplay to play on the MX tour!