✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

2013 shows- where are Coldplay playing next year?

MXHLH

The band said they'd be in South America in Feb/March. That's still 8-9 months away. Tickets don't normally go on sale that early for concerts. I'd imagine you'll hear something in September/October if that is in fact the timeframe they plan on coming.

They'll probably also return to the US in the first half of 2013 for arena shows. I wouldn't expect to hear anything at least until after the 2012 US tour is over.

Also, I can't imagine them not playing Japan/other Asian cities around the same time as the Australian dates later this year.

Then, I can see them doing another European tour next summer too, focusing mostly on eastern Europe, and countries they haven't visited like Ireland, Scotland, Belgium, etc.

Don't worry, they'll hit as many places as they can. Too much $$$$ is at stake for them not to. It just might take them a little time. They said from the start that this tour will probably last until summer 2013, so just be patient! I'm patiently awaiting the announcement of an Ohio date, as I can't make any of the 2012 US shows!

I agree with everything you said. I definitely see them doing a second US leg next year because there were a lot of cities they didn't go to and they have always done two legs. But they also did two dates in a lot of the major cities, so until it's confirmed... we just don't know.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so with that being said im hoping they play BC Place here in vancouver where they played soccer with the local team its a nice stadium too

My theory is that they will be doing a North American Stadium tour. It would take HUGE balls to do though, and it wouldn't be extensive. To put it in perspective U2 had to build 3 Claws to tour. North America alone was expensive.

Do I think Coldplay could sell 60,000 tickets to sell out BC Place....yes. Will they take the risk? Who knows.

US Stadium Tour for Coldplay? Said it already, don't think they can do it unless they stick up to very few cities. But hey, they want to be the biggest band in the world so I can see them doing it sometime in the future, just not in this tour.

They better do Ireland, i have asked the Oracle about ireland, but not had a reply :(

I also asked the Oracle about Ireland, I didn't get a reply either but that doesn't mean they wont.

I think they are holding out for the Slane 2013 headline slot hence why they haven't done any arena/stadium dates in Ireland yet.

Coldplay has been playing multiple nights per city in arenas, most of which selling out promptly. They sold out on the Viva tour too, but most weren't multiple nights in the same city. I don't think they could pull off a FULL stadium tour of North America, especially since already they covered most major cities on the arena tour, but they can definitely sell out a quick run of stadiums in LA, NYC, Chicago, Toronto, Boston, Dallas, Atlanta, Denver, SF, and Vancouver. Those are the 10 big markets that spring to mind.

IF the guys were to return to NA, I doubt it would be for stadiums. It just costs way too much. According to the Star Tribune (from what I recall) it cost U2 millions to build the stage at TCF Bank Stadium at the U of M in Minneapolis. However, stadiums are larger, so more revenue. :shrug:

But that's just my opinion... :nod:

If anyone had to guess. When do you think Coldplay will go back on tour after this year?

They will next tour when album six is out so I guess 2014 at the earliest. But there will probably be some South American stadium shows in Feb/Mar 2013 which will be part of the current tour. I feel sorry for the Irish fans.

Coldplay has been playing multiple nights per city in arenas, most of which selling out promptly. They sold out on the Viva tour too, but most weren't multiple nights in the same city. I don't think they could pull off a FULL stadium tour of North America, especially since already they covered most major cities on the arena tour, but they can definitely sell out a quick run of stadiums in LA, NYC, Chicago, Toronto, Boston, Dallas, Atlanta, Denver, SF, and Vancouver. Those are the 10 big markets that spring to mind.

Their attendance in North America during Viva was off sharply from the rest of the world. (some of the 2009 shows dipped below 10,000). I recall reading a couple articles speculating that their 2009 North American shows were performing well below expectations. I do think they could play stadiums in most of the major NA markets though. They've already played (and sold out) stadium shows in Toronto and Los Angeles and played a few larger amphitheaters (like Alpine Valley) that accommodate crowds almost comparable to stadiums.

^ They should visit northern Cal, further north than SF, I mean Sonoma, Napa, Mendo county. They would sell out here i'm sure of it.

Are there venues there big enough to accommodate an A-list tour? That's the key stumbling block in most smaller markets.

In R42's latest blog, he almost sounded like this tour is winding down, with phrases like,"This is probably the happiest and warmest touring family I can ever remember being part of, so the opportunity to all hang out in a room together with our hair let well down is truly wonderful. I’m starting to realise how much I’m going to miss this tour (or more importantly my friends on it) when it’s over, so I’m trying to force myself from hotel-room hermitage and out to enjoy as much of it as I can while we’re still out here." And he says, "I’ve been on the road for over twenty years and I can recall plenty of that time that’s been a struggle. What’s going on here, though, is very special and supremely enjoyable. These are friendships that will endure until all of this is just a “do you remember when?”."

To me, these sound like the tour is winding down - now I do realize they have 2 more weeks of North America shows, and then a few weeks in Europe, then the handful of New Zealand/Australia shows, but I just get the feeling that that's it for the Mylo Xyloto Tour. Between the many European festivals, and the 3 US Festivals in Summer 2011, then the European arena shows last December 2011 and the ping ponging between US and Europe for the last 3 months, with 2 more months yet to come, they have played a lot of shows, over the course of more than a year. I really think they're done and won't be coming back for another US leg.

In R42's latest blog, he almost sounded like this tour is winding down, with phrases like,"This is probably the happiest and warmest touring family I can ever remember being part of, so the opportunity to all hang out in a room together with our hair let well down is truly wonderful. I’m starting to realise how much I’m going to miss this tour (or more importantly my friends on it) when it’s over, so I’m trying to force myself from hotel-room hermitage and out to enjoy as much of it as I can while we’re still out here." And he says, "I’ve been on the road for over twenty years and I can recall plenty of that time that’s been a struggle. What’s going on here, though, is very special and supremely enjoyable. These are friendships that will endure until all of this is just a “do you remember when?”."

To me, these sound like the tour is winding down - now I do realize they have 2 more weeks of North America shows, and then a few weeks in Europe, then the handful of New Zealand/Australia shows, but I just get the feeling that that's it for the Mylo Xyloto Tour. Between the many European festivals, and the 3 US Festivals in Summer 2011, then the European arena shows last December 2011 and the ping ponging between US and Europe for the last 3 months, with 2 more months yet to come, they have played a lot of shows, over the course of more than a year. I really think they're done and won't be coming back for another US leg.

Even if they do only play the confirmed dates this year (which I agree seems the most likely scenario at this point), I'm not sure I'd consider the tour "winding down" with so many dates left to play.

Coldplay coming to Pittsburgh?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section. It's been quite some time since I've posted anything.

Just curious if anyone knows if they're rumored to add any dates to their tour - particularly Pittsburgh? I had tickets to both DC shows (really good tickets, I might add), but I had to cancel last minute due to some baby-sitter issues. DYING that we missed it, so looking to see if they'll be coming anywhere else near me. Thanks for any and all input! :)

IF the guys were to return to NA, I doubt it would be for stadiums. It just costs way too much. According to the Star Tribune (from what I recall) it cost U2 millions to build the stage at TCF Bank Stadium at the U of M in Minneapolis. However, stadiums are larger, so more revenue. :shrug:

But that's just my opinion... :nod:

Granted, U2 had one of the most complex stadium stages of all time. Most bands who play stadiums don't go to the ridiculous lengths that U2 did. From what I've seen of Coldplay's set-up, it's basically a bunch of fancy circular screens and doesn't require a full week of preparation before the show.

Their attendance in North America during Viva was off sharply from the rest of the world. (some of the 2009 shows dipped below 10,000). I recall reading a couple articles speculating that their 2009 North American shows were performing well below expectations. I do think they could play stadiums in most of the major NA markets though. They've already played (and sold out) stadium shows in Toronto and Los Angeles and played a few larger amphitheaters (like Alpine Valley) that accommodate crowds almost comparable to stadiums.

Honestly, I know some of you are going to cock your eyebrow and say "How's that possible?", but I think Coldplay played TOO MANY shows here in 2009. I think their arena shows in 2008 did really well, but in 2009, they played every amphitheater in every backwater town in North America, so the attendance was spread out more. But in the big city markets I listed, though, I'm pretty sure they had no problem selling shows out.

Even if they do only play the confirmed dates this year (which I agree seems the most likely scenario at this point), I'm not sure I'd consider the tour "winding down" with so many dates left to play.

I said it "almost sounded like" the tour was winding down, with his talk of end-of-leg crew parties (when there are still 3 more legs), lasting friendships, and this line, "I’m starting to realise how much I’m going to miss this tour (or more importantly my friends on it) when it’s over, so I’m trying to force myself from hotel-room hermitage and out to enjoy as much of it as I can while we’re still out here." To me, it sounded like something you would write at the end of a tour or at least, seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. But I know, there are still 25 or so shows left, then they go to NZ/Aus. I just got the feeling from the general tone of his blog, that this may be it as far as the proper Mylo Xyloto tour, and not scheduling any more dates in 2013.

I said it "almost sounded like" the tour was winding down, with his talk of end-of-leg crew parties (when there are still 3 more legs), lasting friendships, and this line, "I’m starting to realise how much I’m going to miss this tour (or more importantly my friends on it) when it’s over, so I’m trying to force myself from hotel-room hermitage and out to enjoy as much of it as I can while we’re still out here." To me, it sounded like something you would write at the end of a tour or at least, seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. But I know, there are still 25 or so shows left, then they go to NZ/Aus. I just got the feeling from the general tone of his blog, that this may be it as far as the proper Mylo Xyloto tour, and not scheduling any more dates in 2013.

That's been my feeling for awhile. I'd be somewhat surprised if they don't add some sort of Asian dates to Australian leg to make taking all the gear across the world more worthwhile, but I doubt they'll add more than that. They've all said things over the last couple years that make me think they felt like they toured too much last time.

Granted, U2 had one of the most complex stadium stages of all time. Most bands who play stadiums don't go to the ridiculous lengths that U2 did. From what I've seen of Coldplay's set-up, it's basically a bunch of fancy circular screens and doesn't require a full week of preparation before the show.

Honestly, I know some of you are going to cock your eyebrow and say "How's that possible?", but I think Coldplay played TOO MANY shows here in 2009. I think their arena shows in 2008 did really well, but in 2009, they played every amphitheater in every backwater town in North America, so the attendance was spread out more. But in the big city markets I listed, though, I'm pretty sure they had no problem selling shows out.

I would agree with that. They did play a lot of relatively small markets in 09 (and coming off the heels of a massive tour the previous year to boot.) I must say though, I do think it's kind of cool when a band that's massive does take their tour to smaller markets that don't get A-list shows that often.

I hoping they just do the Latin America tour in March/April and then head back to the studio so we may have new material in the spring or summer of '14.

Finishing the tour soon doesn't mean they'll be releasing new material any sooner in and of itself.;)

I hoping they just do the Latin America tour in March/April and then head back to the studio so we MAY have new material in the spring or summer of '14.

I would rather have them finish this tour after these last few legs and start to work on new material, than have them add more to the tour and make us wait longer for a new album. Personally and I say this happily, I think I'm done with the MX era. Looking forward to the LP6 era.

Honestly I can't see such a big and popular band not touring Asia and Latin America.

But yeah, those R42 comments on his blog are kinda scaring me. It seems like they could wrap the tour with the NZ/Australian dates.

Whatever, I may go to Norah Jones concert if they don't decide to come here. It's something.

PD: Please Coldplay come lol