✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

People from NYC, I need your help!

Batman

I could be a little late here but there are always school buses on the streets dropping off kids and teachers at field trips. So that means that if the kids crossed over a major bridge (i.e. the George Washington bridge) they probably would pretend to be pulling a truck horn to get a truck to honk.... Not that I've ever done that....:whistle:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I HAVE to make my film about NYC since it is an university project with the topic "NEW YORK" :lol:

Maybe I should add this information to the first post so people don't get confused :thinking:

OH, fascinating!

Holy crap, thank you so much for this information, this is fantastic! :dance: This is exactly what I was looking for!

One question though, are the cellar grates rather big, or small? Since you said one can fall into them if you don't watch out? :stunned:

Thank you again! :thumbsup:

Just to let you know: There is plenty that is interesting about New York outside of NYC. Maybe look into some stuff about the Adirondacks. (I'm not trying to change your project... I just want to let you know what else there is in the awesome state, and to maybe make this a little easier for you...) :)

I could be a little late here but there are always school buses on the streets dropping off kids and teachers at field trips. So that means that if the kids crossed over a major bridge (i.e. the George Washington bridge) they probably would pretend to be pulling a truck horn to get a truck to honk.... Not that I've ever done that....:whistle:

Wait what, I don't quite understand that "pulling a truck horn". Do you have truck horns to pull on the bus or ??? :wtf:

Just to let you know: There is plenty that is interesting about New York outside of NYC. Maybe look into some stuff about the Adirondacks. (I'm not trying to change your project... I just want to let you know what else there is in the awesome state, and to maybe make this a little easier for you...) :)

I would like to do these things as well, but my prof ONLY wants us to do stuff about New York CITY, so that's why my focus is only there and not on the whole state. And if I want to get a good grade I should better do what my prof wants us to do :uhoh:

But thank you anyway for that, that looks interesting! I already have the wikipedia page open and will read it now :D

Wait what, I don't quite understand that "pulling a truck horn". Do you have truck horns to pull on the bus or ??? :wtf:

I would like to do these things as well, but my prof ONLY wants us to do stuff about New York CITY, so that's why my focus is only there and not on the whole state. And if I want to get a good grade I should better do what my prof wants us to do :uhoh:

But thank you anyway for that, that looks interesting! I already have the wikipedia page open and will read it now :D

Cool.:D And sorry I didn't realize the project was only for NYC...:(

Chinatown is awesome. As soon as you exit from the subway, there are tons of people selling knock off watches and bags. Lots of shops selling food with ducks and stuff hanging in the windows. All the signs are in Chinese.

So... what's good about it?

I'm not vegan or anything, but why would that be a good thing to see? For me I'd be between neutral to unpleasant on seeing that.

Actually I don't really know, I'd find it rather interesting to see. Hmm, well, it was just a random thought I guess. Or perhaps people who are very enthusiastic about meat would find that awesome.

Maybe Angie finds the whole 'different culturally/uncommon/cheap things all packed together in comparatively little place'-condition awesome?

No, if we did.... But usually we make a fist in the air as if we're holding the horn thingy and pretend to pull down as if it's the horn! For brownie points, you make the horn noise too.

So I was recentally there but I forgot to take any pictures for you :cry:

However, I'll try to add more stuff:

1. They're building a few new World Trade Centers, one of which will be like the biggest building in the Western Hemisphere. It's still getting built so half of it is glass and shiny but the top is still the "skeleton" part.

2. Speaking of construction there's a heck of a lot of scaffolding all around the city and on the side walks. I don't know what they're building half the time though cause a lot of these have been there for years. (I walked under one in manhattan and on a wall underneath it was an add for "Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends featuring the hit Violet Hill" :lol:)

3. I think this has been mentioned but everyone ignores stop signs, cars and people. You pretty much walk when you can otherwise you'll be there for ever.

4. I've seen pictures posted of Fire Escapes so I guess you got that. A lot of houses (apartments really) have air conditioning units hanging out the windows becuase the houses are pre-air conditioning and many/most of them still lack centrel air.

5. I don't know if they do this in other cities but in front of stores they have these big metal things (I can't remember what they are called...) they pull down so the stores don't get robbed. These are often spray painted in a manner that would make Chris Martin very proud!

6. Building wise you may have a shiny new building next to a teniment style house, but you can probally see this in a lot of photographs.

Edit: Here's a link to a picture of WTC 1 which is in construction:

May I ask you why? :cheesy:

Don't worry, everyone's allowed to post here heheh ;)

Good :nice:

Because I love everything New York related, lol. I have a biiig picture of New York from IKEA in my room, another one smaller, a clock with a New York design, a pillow with a New York design.... :lol: I'd really like to visit it one day. What people write in this thread seem like sweet secrets/surprises of New York :D

That, and because your project seems interesting, and I'm looking forward to seeing it once you're done (if you decide to share it with us:P)! :cheesy:

^:nod: I find this thread very interesting.

I noticed that a new member is from New-York (she said Hello from NYC in her thread), so I invited her to come here. :sneaky:

Maybe she will share some of her New-Yorker knowledge :awesome:

So I was recentally there but I forgot to take any pictures for you :cry:

However, I'll try to add more stuff:

1. They're building a few new World Trade Centers, one of which will be like the biggest building in the Western Hemisphere. It's still getting built so half of it is glass and shiny but the top is still the "skeleton" part.

Oh that's interesting! And why do people always want to build the tallest/biggest whatever it is?! :laugh3:

2. Speaking of construction there's a heck of a lot of scaffolding all around the city and on the side walks. I don't know what they're building half the time though cause a lot of these have been there for years. (I walked under one in manhattan and on a wall underneath it was an add for "Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends featuring the hit Violet Hill" :lol:)

OMG fangirl moment :awesome: But that scaffolding thing is great for my film, thanks!

3. I think this has been mentioned but everyone ignores stop signs, cars and people. You pretty much walk when you can otherwise you'll be there for ever.

Yep, it has been said, but glad to hear it again from you so I'm even more convinced now! :lol:

4. I've seen pictures posted of Fire Escapes so I guess you got that. A lot of houses (apartments really) have air conditioning units hanging out the windows becuase the houses are pre-air conditioning and many/most of them still lack centrel air.
like this?:

acrun.jpg

:surprised:

5. I don't know if they do this in other cities but in front of stores they have these big metal things (I can't remember what they are called...) they pull down so the stores don't get robbed. These are often spray painted in a manner that would make Chris Martin very proud!

OMG why didn't I think of this before? Probably EVERY movie that takes place in NYC has at least one scene with these metal fences thingies! Thanks for pointing it out.

Yeah I saw that already on the pictures I collected :nod:

Good :nice:

Because I love everything New York related, lol. I have a biiig picture of New York from IKEA in my room, another one smaller, a clock with a New York design, a pillow with a New York design.... :lol: I'd really like to visit it one day. What people write in this thread seem like sweet secrets/surprises of New York :D

That, and because your project seems interesting, and I'm looking forward to seeing it once you're done (if you decide to share it with us:P)! :cheesy:

Ha okay, so you're a NYC fan :P And cool that you like my project, I hope I get it done in time though :uhoh: But I will probably upload it on youtube for everybody to see :)

^:nod: I find this thread very interesting.

I noticed that a new member is from New-York (she said Hello from NYC in her thread), so I invited her to come here. :sneaky:

Maybe she will share some of her New-Yorker knowledge :awesome:

Awww thank you for help Céline! :wacky:

I'm actually by the new World Trade Centers where I work. If you go to the subway station (AKA the PATH) you see like 100 people on 6 escalators at one :wreck:
Oh jeez, so nothing for people that suffer from claustrophobia I guess :uhoh2: